PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious 'structure' discovered on Mars

Loki
06-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Mysterious 'structure' discovered on Mars (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/8257609/mysterious-structure-discovered-on-mars)

An American 'armchair astronomer' claims he has discovered a strange structure on the surface of Mars while browsing Google.

David Martines was scanning Google Mars when he discovered the long white edifice and has even listed the coordinates (49'19.73"N 29 33'06.53"W) so others can see it for themselves.

Mr Martines posted a video of the 'station' on YouTube which has been viewed more than 200,000 times.

On the video, he talks through the discovery he has named "Bio-Station Alpha". "It's very unusual in that it's quite large, it's over 700 feet (210m) long and 150 feet (45m) wide. It looks like it's a cylinder or made up of cylinders," he says.

"It could be a power station or it could be a biological containment or it could be a glorified garage — hope it's not a weapon.

"I don't know if NASA even knows about this."

NASA and Google have yet to respond to media inquiries.

sTJt0LJZG2k

Peasant
06-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Looks more like a jpeg artifact than a structure. Probably just some crap somewhere between the lense and mars.

Efim45
06-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Just looks like a pixel.

Don
06-05-2011, 04:40 PM
If there are some "artificial" elements in Mars, I would bet that they are located underground.

Guapo
06-05-2011, 04:47 PM
http://poietes.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/marvin-the-martian.jpg

Treffie
06-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Just looks like a pixel.

At first I was sceptical, but now I think it looks like a pixelated, non-natural object. It really stands out from the rest of the surface, so it's definitely not part of the geography.

Loki
06-05-2011, 05:22 PM
At first I was sceptical, but now I think it looks like a pixelated, non-natural object. It really stands out from the rest of the surface, so it's definitely not part of the geography.

Agreed. It looks completely unnatural and looks designed. The only downside to the imaging is that the resolution is not high enough. But perhaps that could be sourced somewhere or somehow.

Loddfafner
06-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Geological forces can produce strikingly symmetrical features that stand out from the surrounding landscape.

Laudanum
06-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Interesting. I wonder what NASA has to say about this. :)

Loki
06-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Interestingly enough, Guardian features an article today about Mars:

Is there life on Mars? We may soon find out (http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/jun/05/mars-anniversary-40-years-space)

poiuytrewq0987
06-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Cylinders where they keep their UFOs at port. Be prepared for a full-scale alien invasion when they find out we've finally found their base of operations on Mars.

poiuytrewq0987
06-05-2011, 07:10 PM

I felt the same, maybe albeit less skeptical. The cylinders do seem a bit out of place. I disagree with Loddfafner's suggestion of them being just a natural creation. I think if they are structures then they're covered up by Martian dirt allowing them to look like creations by nature. A question remains is whether they're structures currently in use or have been abandoned for a long time.

I wonder if the cylinders could be our catalyst to become a space-faring civilization like in the Mass Effect game. Humans in the game found a mass gate (think stargates in space) and a database that allowed them to rapidly advance their civilization into a space-faring one.

Radojica
06-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Geological forces can produce strikingly symmetrical features that stand out from the surrounding landscape.

Mars is geologically inactive for billion of years, so I don't think that's the case.