PDA

View Full Version : Where in South Asia do I fit in?

Pro.crasti.nation
04-03-2019, 12:04 AM
Deleted photo.

Just curious what part of South Asia you guys associate with people that look like me.

Yes I look an utter mess, health problems ... which is why I have far too much time on my hands, and how I ended up here.

Impaler
04-03-2019, 12:15 AM
I don't know where in South Asia, but you pass as a Romani.

Gangrel
04-03-2019, 12:16 AM
Sikh?

Dna8
04-03-2019, 12:23 AM
Land of the Five Rivers

Thambi
04-03-2019, 12:33 AM
Yeah i'd say northwest india (punjabi, haryanvi, kashmiri, pahari), pakistani. maybe a western shifted muslim or a sindhi from gujarat/maharashtra. Nepal as well as a bahun

Nazarene
04-03-2019, 12:36 AM
North India

Pro.crasti.nation
04-03-2019, 12:36 AM
Interesting, I did think Punjabi would be a likely candidate, but didn't want to presume too much.

I'm not Sikh nor Romani, but both are Punjabi at root, so I guess there's a consistency to the responses so far.

In fairness, the beard probably tilts the decision somewhat, but it's to hide the growing third chin...

Pro.crasti.nation
04-03-2019, 12:46 AM
Yeah i'd say northwest india (punjabi, haryanvi, kashmiri, pahari), pakistani. maybe a western shifted muslim or a sindhi from gujarat/maharashtra. Nepal as well as a bahun

What's a "Bahun"? Also, Nepal seems quite different from the others, what prompted that?

Thambi
04-03-2019, 12:54 AM
What's a "Bahun"? Also, Nepal seems quite different from the others, what prompted that?

Bahuns are brahmin. Nepalese brahmins are similar to nw indians and pakistanis both genetically and phenotypically. They're just more mountain adapted thats all. Nepal overall is different, but the indo aryan groups of nepal like brahmins and chhetris(kshatriyas) can overlap quite a bit with rest of northern south asians.

Pro.crasti.nation
04-03-2019, 01:10 AM
"Mountain adapted" is a good term, I always thought that probably explained why I love the winter and the snows.

Thanks for the info on Bahuns, good to learn something whenever possible.

My family were originally Hindu, my ancestors even named our village after our pre-Islamic Hindu tribe/grouping.

Viçwamitra
04-06-2019, 06:33 PM
"Mountain adapted" is a good term, I always thought that probably explained why I love the winter and the snows.

Thanks for the info on Bahuns, good to learn something whenever possible.

My family were originally Hindu, my ancestors even named our village after our pre-Islamic Hindu tribe/grouping.What kind of Hindu ?

Pro.crasti.nation
04-11-2019, 11:10 PM
What kind of Hindu ?
Honestly, not sure about the details. The only thing I know for certain is that our titles are from before we became Muslims in Delhi, during the sultanate. We were Chowdhury as Hindus and we don't have any Arab or other blood. We're totally indigenous, as far as we know.