PDA

View Full Version : Croatia, 28th EU member.

Comte Arnau
06-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Brussels (Reuters)

Croatia cleared a hurdle on its path to European Union membership Friday, with the EU executive recommending its accession talks be finalised and an entry date set for mid-2013.

"The European Commission has just proposed ... to close the last four chapters in the accession negotiations with Croatia," European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso said in a statement.

"This paves the way for Croatia to join the EU as the 28th member state as of July 1, 2013," he said.

http://euro2008.worldcupblog.org/files/2008/06/croatian-fan2.jpg
Random picture included by me, just because.

The former Yugoslav state of 4.4 million people still has to convince all of the EU's 27 governments that it is ready to join, particularly that its efforts to combat corruption have gone far enough.

But many capitals have said they would agree to wrap up the talks if the European Commission judged Zagreb has done its job.

Once admitted, Croatia would become the second state in the western Balkans to join the EU, after Slovenia, which became a member in 2004.

poiuytrewq0987
06-10-2011, 12:34 PM
It seems like the EU wants Croatia to join the EU the same time as Serbia will join. :laugh:

Nurzat
06-10-2011, 12:36 PM
croatia is cool :) not as good as slovenia but still a very nice country (people, landscapes, place within europe)

also, croatia will do a MUCH better member than romania

mymy
06-10-2011, 02:27 PM
It seems like the EU wants Croatia to join the EU the same time as Serbia will join. :laugh:

Not really.

http://www.setimes.com/cocoon/setimes/xhtml/en_GB/features/setimes/features/2011/06/09/feature-01

Monolith
07-12-2011, 11:07 AM
I hope we don't join the EU. There's still hope since polls suggest the number of those who would opt for the accession and those who wouldn't is roughly equal. Even few months ago, the percentage of Croats that supported the accession plummeted to 22%.

Murphy
07-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Monolith go to one of the supporting countries, get drunk, steal a car and piss on their president's/king's dog.

You can save Croatia :D!

Libertas
07-12-2011, 11:18 AM
I hope we don't join the EU. There's still hope since polls suggest the number of those who would opt for the accession and those who wouldn't is roughly equal. Even few months ago, the percentage of Croats that supported the accession plummeted to 22%.

Don't join because your neat country will be overrun by Third World immigrants.
It's the EU way.:(

poiuytrewq0987
07-12-2011, 05:58 PM

Hey, you wanted back in Yugoslavia so it only makes sense that you join the EU. :laugh:

Volkodav
07-12-2011, 06:17 PM
croatia is cool :) not as good as slovenia but still a very nice country (people, landscapes, place within europe)

also, croatia will do a MUCH better member than romania
wtf ??? slovenia ??? Im sure that the city of Pula will go in first.

Tu eşti exact ca bulgaru ăla cu 88 că el a vrut să fie romān, tu vrei să fi slavonic.

Monolith
07-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey, you wanted back in Yugoslavia so it only makes sense that you join the EU. :laugh:
Who wanted back in Yugoslavia?

wtf ??? slovenia ??? Im sure that the city of Pula will go in first.
Atrox is correct if he meant that Slovenia is doing better when it comes to economy.

Moustache
07-18-2011, 09:03 AM
Congratulations, neighbours.

Do you happen to have a study sitting around, with poll figures broken down according to topics (economy, national identity etc.) and social status of the participants (urban/rural, income level, education, level of information)? The polls I found on the net didn't have the differentiation I was looking for. It would be interesting to compare them to data from polls conducted in pre-accession Hungary.

http://euro2008.worldcupblog.org/files/2008/06/croatian-fan2.jpg
Random picture included by me, just because.

Arnau for president of FIFA! You have an eye for filling in idle moments when the ball is out of play.

http://www.dreamstime.com/arab-man-thumbs-up-success-thumb17851551.jpg

Monolith
07-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Do you happen to have a study sitting around, with poll figures broken down according to topics (economy, national identity etc.) and social status of the participants (urban/rural, income level, education, level of information)?

No, unfortunately. It would appear your sources are the same as mine.

Zephyr
07-20-2011, 05:19 PM
I feel sorry for you guys but hey, almost 22 years of independence and self-determination was not bad at all! :D