PDA

View Full Version : Are you lactose intolerant? Yes, or no?

Roy
04-12-2019, 07:03 PM
I am, but it's a non-issue.

Lactose intolerance primarily refers to a syndrome having one or more symptoms upon the consumption of food substances containing lactose. Individuals may be lactose intolerant to varying degrees, depending on the severity of these symptoms. "Lactose malabsorption" refers to the physiological concomitant of lactase deficiency (i.e., the body does not have sufficient lactase capacity to digest the amount of lactose ingested).[2] Hypolactasia (lactase deficiency) is distinguished from alactasia (total lack of lactase), a rare congenital defect.[11]

Lactose intolerance is not an allergy, because it is not an immune response, but rather a sensitivity to dairy caused by lactase deficiency. Milk allergy, occurring in only 4% of the population, is a separate condition, with distinct symptoms that occur when the presence of milk proteins trigger an immune reaction.[12]
Signs and symptoms

The principal symptom of lactose intolerance is an adverse reaction to products containing lactose (primarily milk), including abdominal bloating and cramps, flatulence, diarrhea, nausea, borborygmi, and vomiting (particularly in adolescents). These appear one-half to two hours after consumption.[1] The severity of symptoms typically increases with the amount of lactose consumed; most lactose-intolerant people can tolerate a certain level of lactose in their diets without ill effects.[13][14]

Most dairy actually does not contain lactose btw. or at very least trace amounts of it like: hard cheese, lactose-free milk or yoghurt / other fermented milk-based drink - it contains the enzyme lactase, which digests lactose. So don't get fooled buying some more expensive with dumb, redundant ''lactose-free'' label as it's just a way to dupe you.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/80/b6/97/80b697958fc858028378c33a82f8a566.gif

Ülev
04-12-2019, 07:06 PM
yeah, I am Chinese or African it seems
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance

(just kidding)

Kaspias
04-12-2019, 07:07 PM
I'm partly intolerant. It causes problem sometimes but sometimes i don't feel anything

Erronkari
04-12-2019, 07:08 PM
No, I am not.
I can drink a bottle of liquid yougurt without any problem.

Rgvgjhvv
04-12-2019, 07:08 PM
I am lactose-intolerant.

I take lactose pills before eating dairy and I'm good to go. So it's not a big deal

Ryuk
04-12-2019, 07:10 PM
You can still consume fermented dairy products. Although Mongols and kazakhs are lactose intolerant, most of their nutrients are made up from dairy products.

Ülev
04-12-2019, 07:10 PM
it's about fresh milk from the village's cow

Crimson Winds
04-12-2019, 07:20 PM
No way.

Roy
04-12-2019, 07:23 PM
No, I am not.

Yoghurt, however, does not contain lactose though or is supposed to have lactase so it does not warrant that you are lactose tolerant in fact. :D Unless you mean a bottle of liquid ''yoghurt'' that is not joghurt like some mullermilch.

Matty74
04-12-2019, 07:28 PM
Nope. My son and I go thru about 2 gallons of skim milk a week. Love my cheese too

Chris596
04-26-2020, 02:17 PM
I'm sensitive to milk, which I probably inherited from my father because he is allergic too. And it has gotten worse lately.

Maintenance
04-26-2020, 02:31 PM
Yes.

CommonSense
04-26-2020, 02:52 PM
Never had problems digesting any kind of food.

Finnish Swede
04-26-2020, 02:57 PM
I'm heavy milk drinker .... no problem with milk products.

TheMaestro
04-26-2020, 02:57 PM
I drink daily 1l, got told it will lead to major problems, but I just love my milk musli and bananas.

Terminator98
04-26-2020, 03:06 PM
No, in fact I was drinking 0.5L of fresh milk my entire childhood (before going to school) and I just ate 200grams of sour cream. Overall, I don't have problem with any food. I had stomach nausea few times in my life, when I was hungry. :lmao:rotfl:

itilvolga
04-26-2020, 03:13 PM
No, I am not.

Terminator98
04-26-2020, 03:14 PM
Never had problems digesting any kind of food.

I drink daily 1l, got told it will lead to major problems, but I just love my milk musli and bananas.

No, in fact I was drinking 0.5L of fresh milk my entire childhood (before going to school) and I just ate 200grams of sour cream. Overall, I don't have problem with any food. I had stomach nausea few times in my life, when I was hungry. :lmao:rotfl:

Strong genetics (Balkan pigs :lol00002:).

Pedro Ruben
04-26-2020, 03:18 PM
I am lactose intolerant

PaleoEuropean
04-26-2020, 03:19 PM
Meat and cheese is all I need to survive.

Freeroostah
04-26-2020, 03:20 PM
I'm partly intolerant. It causes problem sometimes but sometimes i don't feel anything

Same :thumb001:

PaleoEuropean
04-26-2020, 03:33 PM

Cheese makes me feel the opposite of sick xD.

Dandelion
04-26-2020, 03:39 PM
Slavs who are have Mong genes.

Jehan
04-26-2020, 03:48 PM
I'am recently wondering if i'am not sensitive to caseine who is in the same product as lactose.
As a cheese lover in France, no need to explain the quantity of cheese i ate during my life. Some stuff make me ask if i really assimilate it well.

A lot of writting show the importance of nutrition in your general wellbeing. So i might have poison myself with a not healthy alimentation and now i have to much inside my body.

Luso
04-26-2020, 03:49 PM
Nope, if cheese and milk didn't exist I'd probably be dead.

Götterfunke
06-15-2020, 09:18 AM
I have inherited an allele associated with lactose intolerance from my mother. My father has both alleles for tolerance though, and therefore I'm capable of digesting lactose without problems.

My father and I usually consume about 10-12 litres of milk a week in total. We usually buy it from a local farm for 80 cents the bottle. My favourite breakfast is 2 glasses of milk and whatever sweet, sticky stuff I can get my hands on.

IrisSelene
06-15-2020, 01:29 PM
According to my DNA I'm not likely to be intolerant. But my brother is.

And I myself avoid it too, because it doesn't get as bad as for my brother but I do get bloated a lot and I feel sick.

After I stopped I've gotten much better.

Enviado desde mi CLT-L09 mediante Tapatalk

Mortimer
06-15-2020, 02:01 PM
I don't know im not diagnosed but I have often flatulence and diarrhea could be maybe a little lactose intolerant but I love all diary products

RandomGuy20
06-15-2020, 02:44 PM
Don't know how I'd live without dairy, especially milk, cheese and sour cream.

Ylla
06-15-2020, 04:11 PM
According to 23andme I should be but I haven't had adverse effects to diary products. I don't know anyone with any kind of food intolerances or allergies in my family.

alpha.ghot
06-16-2020, 08:41 AM
I don't know though I eat all kinds of dairy products without any problem except when I drink milk it produces gas. Though milk consumption in my family is very low at around 40 litres per head annually as pure milk is not available in the market.

Roy
06-17-2020, 04:17 PM
I don't know though I eat all kinds of dairy products without any problem except when I drink milk it produces gas. Though milk consumption in my family is very low at around 40 litres per head annually as pure milk is not available in the market.

Repetitive bloating means that you are lactose intolerant.

Annie999
06-17-2020, 04:42 PM
I voted “yes” because I reckon milk doesnt do me good. Yet, I can eat lactose derivates like cheese with no major issues. Also, in 23andme I got “high chances to be lactose intolerant”. I believe Im somewhere in the middle.

Barba
07-27-2023, 06:08 AM
Nope, I don't have any food intolerance

Rafael Passoni
07-27-2023, 06:22 AM
I aswered it wrong, I am lactose tolerant, but because I am celiac, i can't drink milk or ear dairy products, since it is an inflamatory food.

kingmob
07-27-2023, 06:25 AM
I voted “yes” because I reckon milk doesnt do me good. Yet, I can eat lactose derivates like cheese with no major issues. Also, in 23andme I got “high chances to be lactose intolerant”. I believe Im somewhere in the middle.

Cheese doesn't have lactose, it turned into lactic acid to become cheese (only fresh cheese like cottage cheese does because it didn't have time to mature).

You can check the lactose content of cheese by looking at the carb section on the label.

Aged cheese like Parmesan usually has less than 1% carbs, this is the lactose content.

♥ Lily ♥
07-27-2023, 06:30 AM
No, I've never had any problems with drinking milk and eating dairy products from both cows and goats.

But like a lot of British people, I have stomach problems when it comes to eating very hot and spicy foods, which people have more tolerance to in countries such as India and Mexico and Thailand. I can only handle mild (korma) curries, but certainly not madras or vindaloo strength or hot chilli sauces... otherwise it just causes a burning sensation of the lips, tongue, and throat, eyes start watering, slight wheeziness, along with intense stomach pains and upsets.

An Englishman tried to eat a hot chilli crisp on TV... and his eyes started streaming and his voice went raspy at 3:07 in the video, he said his mouth and throat were burning, his skin started sweating, his hands started trembling at 5:24, and then within minutes at 7:55 he soon felt stomach pains and sickness, before he swallowed a glass of cool milk at 8:24 to try to stop the burning in his stomach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2h6ZCzZa2E

A female sociologist teacher who I'm friendly with in London is half Vietnamese, and she suffers from lactose intolerance and has osteoporosis, and she's very thin and frail with brittle bones. She said that she has to take calcium supplements daily, but she said that unfortunately the lactose-free calcium tablets are not of same quality of calcium that comes from dairy products.

She explained that the reason why I'm not intolerant to lactose is because over many generations, my English, Irish, and Welsh ancestors developed an enzyme in our bodies that makes us able to tolerate the grass and digest the cows milk.

Although I am diagnosed as Anaphylactic and have to carry life-saving emergency adrenaline injections with me everywhere that I go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nAq7eF7tMU

A food intolerance is different to Anaphylaxis and has different symptoms - and Anaphylaxis can be life-threatening, whereas food intolerances tends to just cause a stomach upset or nausea.

The cause of my allergy is still not known - despite lots of blood tests in hospital, but I can eat almost anything (nuts, seeds, wheat, honey, rice, fish, dairy products, etc, and I have no problems with latex and pets,) without having sudden breathing difficulties (except for very hot and spicy foods - which causes a stomach upset rather than a full-on allergic reaction,) and I also have intolerance problems with anything that's very acidic, such as citrus fruits, (I can only handle small amounts - no more than 1/4 of a small orange or grapefruit, and preferably diluted fruit juices that's not from concentrate,) - which also causes me to have painful stomach upsets (intolerance.)

I'm convinced that it's the chemicals in air freshener sprays that triggers a severe allergic reaction in me, causes my face to suddenly go red, causes the lining in my throat to swell and tighten, causes me to have heart palpitations, and causes sudden difficulty in talking and breathing. I've noticed a pattern as I only have those reactions shortly after people have sprayed strong chemical sprays into a room, and I always get headaches and feel sick whenever electric plug-in scent diffusers are used in rooms (which also contain strong chemicals.) The headaches and sick feeling goes away within an hour of so after the plug-ins are switched off. I'm fine though with natural aromatherapy oils.

The last time I had an Anaphylactic shock (which happened within minutes of someone spraying something into a room,) my throat started swelling and suddenly felt sore, I struggled to speak and couldn't finish sentences, and then I couldn't say any words at all, my breathing felt tight, my face went red, and I felt weak and dizzy... despite feeling well and fine before the sudden reaction, and paramedics injected me three times in my arms and leg to try to calm the symptoms down and gave me an oxygen mask which helped, and I had to stay wired-up on monitors in hospital for 24 hours observation incase of a secondary reaction as a precaution. Then I was told to take antihistamines and a few other pills they gave me each day for the following week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTcL7u05aUU

There was an Anaphylactic man in London who had an allergy to nuts which killed him. He attended a party and explained his nut allergy beforehand, and they made sure that his food wouldn't contain nuts. However, his food was prepared in a room where nut traces had been present - even though nuts weren't directly used in his food, and his sensitivity to this caused him to have sudden breathing difficulties, his face and lips and throat swelled up, his skin went clammy and he started scratching himself, his heart started beating fast in panic, and his face went red and then blue as he struggled to talk and breathe. He injected himself with two EpiPens and was rushed to hospital, recovered for 12 hours, but tragically died in hospital the following day from a secondary reaction.

If I'm standing in a shop, for example, and someone starts spraying aerosols, I just cover my mouth and nose, try to hold my breath for a short while and quickly move away, so I don't inhale the chemicals which irritates my throat.

TL;DR: No lactose intolerance, but intolerance to very hot/spicy foods and can only handle small amounts of citrus fruits, and have anaphylactic reactions to certain chemicals in aerosol sprays.

kingmob
07-27-2023, 06:36 AM
I make homemade kefir at my home, I buy the kefir grain from a Georgian lady in the market when it rarely dies.

It's the best way to consume dairy for the health benefits, everyone should give it a shot.

PS. There is no lactose in kefir, the kefir grain eats it and turns it into very potent lactic acid.

Rædwald
07-27-2023, 06:44 AM
No, no food allergies or intolerances

Victor
07-27-2023, 06:45 AM
I make homemade kefir at my home, I buy the kefir grain from a Georgian lady in the market when it rarely dies.

It's the best way to consume dairy for the health benefits, everyone should give it a shot.

PS. There is no lactose in kefir, the kefir grain eats it and turns it into very potent lactic acid.

Kefir rules, kefir > yoghurt imo

Victor
07-27-2023, 06:53 AM
I'm convinced that it's the chemicals in air freshener sprays that triggers a severe allergic reaction in me, causes my face to go red, causes my airways to swell and close, and causes difficulty in talking and breathing.

I have mild allergy when breathing the air in a room where window cleaner is sprayed and recently the first food allergy when consuming spinach. I get the red spots on my neck, face, my skin under the hair starts to itch just like gums with a moderate tooth ache, it feels like shit. I've learnt later that spinach is the most allergic type of greens having loads of histamine. It's a pity, I like its taste.

Tsuin
07-27-2023, 06:56 AM
Unfortunately yes

monsieur
07-27-2023, 07:18 AM
I don't think I am, no.

Sheppey
07-27-2023, 08:11 AM
I am, but it's a non-issue.

Most dairy actually does not contain lactose btw. or at very least trace amounts of it like: hard cheese, lactose-free milk or yoghurt / other fermented milk-based drink - it contains the enzyme lactase, which digests lactose. So don't get fooled buying some more expensive with dumb, redundant ''lactose-free'' label as it's just a way to dupe you.

[IMG]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/80/b6/97/80b697958fc858028378c33a82f8a566.gif[/IMG[

I am not sure some the analysis of my genetics suggests I might be slightly lactose intolerant but in reality I don't experience any problems it seems.

TheForeigner
07-27-2023, 08:12 AM
I don't and I can drink milk but I don't like the taste of it.

Mortimer
07-27-2023, 08:18 AM
My genetic test says I am, but I dont realize how i am, i drink milk, eat joghurt, eat sourcream, etc. i love everything with milk like cheese, joghurt, sourcream, buttermilk, i dont see how i am lactose intolerant, how can i notice if i am? I dont get unwell from it

♥ Lily ♥
07-27-2023, 11:34 AM
I have mild allergy when breathing the air in a room where window cleaner is sprayed and recently the first food allergy when consuming spinach. I get the red spots on my neck, face, my skin under the hair starts to itch just like gums with a moderate tooth ache, it feels like shit. I've learnt later that spinach is the most allergic type of greens having loads of histamine. It's a pity, I like its taste.

I'm sorry that you're having those unpleasant symptoms, and should wisely avoid it.

I wonder if the allergic reaction could be caused by a chemical (such as a pesticide spray) that's been used by farmers on the spinach - rather than the spinach itself? Or wild animal faeces or urine or bird droppings that may have contaminated the spinach?

If you try buying organic spinach from a different farming company with a good reputation, and still have the same symptoms - even when it's steamed or boiled in water - then it's likely that the allergic reaction is due to the spinach itself.

I love spinach, (I always make sure to rinse it thoroughly first,) and personally have no problems with it, but if it's causing you even a mild allergic reaction, then you should wisely avoid it... there's lots of other delicious vegetables to choose from, including greens.

Taking anti-histamines (there's non-drowsy ones available as well as liquid anti-histamines if you struggle to swallow pills - especially during a severe allergic reaction,) helps to reduce the symptoms of a mild allergic reaction and helps to stop any itching, and there's also anti-itch creams available from pharmacies which can help to soothe and cool any mild skin rashes.

If the rash is more severe, then you could get a stronger steroid-based lotion from a doctor that wil stop the itching and soothe the rash.

As for the strong chemicals in some of the household cleaners, it's best to wear a mask and goggles when using them... and keep the windows wide open. If you ever notice that you're struggling to breathe though, then you should call paramedics asap, as you'll require something stronger (such as adrenaline) than just anti-histamines in order to calm the symptoms.

Whenever I use my adrenaline auto-injections (which simply goes into the thigh muscle on the side of the upper leg, and can be used over clothing too as the needles are long and the spring on the auto-injector pen is strong,) the adrenaline flow causes a panicky and anxious feeling for a while - which is normal, but it reduces the allergic reaction.

I was taught in hospital with my trainer pen to simply swing or press the end of the auto-injector pen into the thigh, keep the fingers and thumb away from the end - so not to stab your thumb by accident, a click is heard as the long needle automatically shoots out and has an automatic and unremovable hard cover that protects the long needle after it's used, hold the injection in for 10 seconds, massage the area for 10 seconds, then dial 999 and just say "Anaphylaxis" if it's difficult to talk - after injecting first, don't stand or walk or drive, lay down on the ground with legs slightly raised to speed up the flow of adrenaline to the heart, or sit up and lean slightly forward if breathing is difficult, and then after a few minutes, use the second injection in the other thigh (just press the auto-injector pen against the thigh and hold for 10 seconds,) if the symptoms haven't improved or gets worse. Even if the symptoms have improved by the time paramedics arrive, you will still require 24 hour observation in hospital incase of a secondary reaction.

Beowulf
07-27-2023, 12:11 PM
No

Katarzyna
07-27-2023, 12:24 PM
Whenever I am in the supermarket I see middle eastern refugees buying lactose free milk. I think we should give them more Yamnaya genes ;)

ugochaves
07-27-2023, 12:37 PM
Whenever I am in the supermarket I see middle eastern refugees buying lactose free milk. I think we should give them more Yamnaya genes ;)
I have a lot of Corded Ware (they didn't help me). I have a lactose intolerance gene. My minor Siberian makes me sit in the toilet all day after a cup of milk.

Katarzyna
07-27-2023, 12:53 PM
I have a lot of Corded Ware (they didn't help me). I have a lactose intolerance gene. My minor Siberian makes me sit in the toilet all day after a cup of milk.

Oh, we can trade if you want to. Despite being tolerant I don’t like the taste of milk so I always buy soy milk. XD my dad is lactose intolerant and he loves the taste of milk. See how different we are

♥ Lily ♥
07-27-2023, 01:19 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have the same symptoms with cheese, yoghurt, goats milk, etc? Maybe you could try soya milk or rice milk instead.

Milk is nutritious and contains a lot of vitamins, calcium, and minerals, but it's also high in saturated fat and calories, so I tend to minimise consumption of animal dairy products, and use semi-skimmed instead of full-fat milk, and low-fat dairy yoghurts instead of high-fat yoghurts. Goats cheese contains twice as much calcium than other types of cheese, and so people don't need to eat much of it to obtain their daily calcium requirements.

I've just been researching for some suggestions that can help people who have an intolerance to lactose:

"Taking a lactose supplement before having food or drink containing lactose may reduce or prevent symptoms for some people. In some people, lactose intolerance may be caused by another health condition, such as coeliac disease. Treating the underlying cause should help."

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/lactose-intolerance/

ugochaves
07-27-2023, 01:37 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have the same symptoms with cheese, yoghurt, goats milk, etc? Maybe you could try soya milk or rice milk instead.

Milk is nutritious and contains a lot of vitamins, calcium, and minerals, but it's also high in saturated fat and calories, so I tend to minimise consumption of animal dairy products, and use semi-skimmed instead of full-fat milk, and low-fat dairy yoghurts instead of high-fat yoghurts. Goats cheese contains twice as much calcium than other types of cheese, and so people don't need to eat much of it to obtain their daily calcium requirements.

I've just been researching for some advice for suggestions that can help people who have an intolerance to lactose:

"Taking a lactose supplement before having food or drink containing lactose may reduce or prevent symptoms for some people. In some people, lactose intolerance may be caused by another health condition, such as coeliac disease. Treating the underlying cause should help."

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/lactose-intolerance/
My father is a South Russian + Ukrainian. Mother is a northern Russian. I turned out to be a Central Russian resident, but my Mongoloid 2% inherited lactose intolerance (only milk). One of the Ukrainians is bald. This is not such a big problem. I am happy that I have 2 arms and 2 legs and a strong character that I inherited from my Northern mother. All my Ukrainians were weak-willed, although very beautiful in appearance. Thank you for your concern, my beloved Lily. But I'd rather sit on a push than limit myself to milk.

♥ Lily ♥
07-27-2023, 01:44 PM
My father is a South Russian + Ukrainian. Mother is a northern Russian. I turned out to be a Central Russian resident, but my Mongoloid 2% inherited lactose intolerance (only milk). One of the Ukrainians is bald. This is not such a big problem. I am happy that I have 2 arms and 2 legs and a strong character that I inherited from my Northern mother. All my Ukrainians were weak-willed, although very beautiful in appearance. Thank you for your concern, my beloved Lily. But I'd rather sit on a push than limit myself to milk.

Indeed, good health and a happy life are more important, and people should always appreciate their blessings and look on the positive side of life. People in China and Japan don't cosume much animal dairy products, and they have low cancer rates, low heart disease, and long life spans. I think it's due to having a healthy seafood diet, as fish is very nutritious and good for the heart.

I drink a lot of mineral water each day, and water is the best drink of all.

I also like green tea.

InmostLight
07-27-2023, 02:32 PM

InmostLight
07-27-2023, 02:44 PM
I brought a baked dessert to a guy's house and saw lactose-free milk in the fridge. Red flag, or can I push it onto his roommates?

SilverKnight
07-27-2023, 02:53 PM
No.. I can drink as much as possible, including breast milk... (lol)

SilverKnight
07-27-2023, 02:57 PM
I brought a baked dessert to a guy's house and saw lactose-free milk in the fridge. Red flag, or can I push it onto his roommates?

As long as he's a good lover both in bed and the relationship itself, what's the issue ?
lol

Go for it cowgirl. yum

Demirkazık
07-27-2023, 03:48 PM
Directly inherited lactose intolerance from my Turkic ancestors.

MCM6 CC

Flashball
07-28-2023, 03:47 AM
I'm lactose tolerant, even if my mother is 50% sardo (and 50% french)...

I have a friend who is mainly French with 1/8 Ukrainian/Polish and he has many "recessive" alleles linked to lactose intolerance, and he confirmed to me that he is mainly intolerant, even if he can drink a little bit of milk but no more

calxpal
07-28-2023, 04:50 AM
Tolerant along with everyone in my family.

Roy
07-28-2023, 02:12 PM
No, I am not.

Yoghurt essentially does not possess lactose anymore.

Roy
07-28-2023, 02:14 PM
I'm lactose tolerant, even if my mother is 50% sardo (and 50% french)...

I have a friend who is mainly French with 1/8 Ukrainian/Polish and he has many "recessive" alleles linked to lactose intolerance, and he confirmed to me that he is mainly intolerant, even if he can drink a little bit of milk but no more

I can drink at most one glass of milk before experiencing nasty symptoms.

Duarte
07-28-2023, 03:10 PM
Nope, can't have dairy. I can only drink olive oil milk.

Erronkari
07-28-2023, 03:25 PM
No, I am not.

Good point hehe. :p
But mainly I can drink milk without problem.
The only point my digestion is very fast but that include all kind of food and drinks.

Malagueña
07-28-2023, 11:50 PM
Knowing that both my father and brother are lactose intolerant, I'm very likely to be too, but since I only drink plant milk it really doesn't matter

Gallop
07-29-2023, 12:34 AM
No thank God, I couldn't live without dairy.

Annihilus
07-29-2023, 12:44 AM
can tolerate only a set amount per day, before lactose free milk became a thing I used to make it myself by adding lactase to milk and leave it for 24hrs

NSXD60
07-29-2023, 01:19 AM
No, but I am lactose addicted

Smaug
07-29-2023, 01:29 AM
Nope.

~Elizabeth~
07-30-2023, 07:29 PM
I am not lactose intolerant. I love drinking milk.

retfala
07-30-2023, 07:54 PM
nope, and I drink gallons of milk

Lobster
09-05-2023, 07:17 AM
Oh, yes I am :rolleyes:

Ellethwyn
09-05-2023, 09:53 AM
Milk is disgusting. I have an intolerance to lactose and I think also to casein, because I cannot tolerate any kind or any amount of dairy.

Ylla
09-05-2023, 10:22 AM
No we don’t have milk intolerance or allergies in our house apart from the youngest who has cmpa (allergic to the milk protein) no idea where he got that from.

Petalpusher
09-05-2023, 11:22 AM
Yes, im lactose intolerant.

Roy
09-05-2023, 01:32 PM
Milk is disgusting. I have an intolerance to lactose and I think also to casein, because I cannot tolerate any kind or any amount of dairy.

Cow's milk is for calfs.

Lobster
09-05-2023, 03:28 PM
Cow's milk is for calfs.

Indeed

Kess
09-05-2023, 03:45 PM
I like milk and I have never seen a person who has lactose intolerance in my life.

Colonel Frank Grimes
09-05-2023, 09:35 PM

Booooooo Ellethywn.... Boooooo.... Milk is awesome. I still eat cookies with milk. I love everything about a cow.

When I was a kid I had milk for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If it wasn't for milk, I wouldn't be able to flex the way I do.

Heil milk!

Abti
09-05-2023, 09:45 PM
No.

Ellethwyn
09-05-2023, 09:55 PM
Booooooo Ellethywn.... Boooooo.... Milk is awesome. I still eat cookies with milk. I love everything about a cow.

When I was a kid I had milk for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If it wasn't for milk, I wouldn't be able to flex the way I do.

Heil milk!

Aw, you're like a calf. So cute<3

Budimir
09-05-2023, 10:08 PM
Cow's milk is for calfs.

You two are racist against dairy cows.

Budimir
09-05-2023, 10:12 PM

Maybe if you were a little nicer to milk and didn't call it "disgusting" it would treat your stomach better. Lactose intolerance is an attitude problem.

Abti
09-06-2023, 03:43 AM
No.

I mean yes.

user_
09-06-2023, 04:19 AM
Nope, i don't know anyone who is lactose intolerant around me. Cheese is a basis of Georgian cusine.

Vessna
10-30-2023, 02:29 AM
I am lactose tolerant according to 23andMe. I can live on cheese and wine.

Gnomepilled
10-30-2023, 02:35 AM
I am lactose tolerant according to 23andMe. I can live on cheese and wine.

Gnome fact: Hard cheeses contain lactose in negligible amounts, even those who are lactose intolerant can eat hard cheeses in kilograms. No lactose in wine, for sure.

Grace O'Malley
10-30-2023, 02:53 AM
About 70% of the world is lactose intolerant. While lactose intolerance can manifest at any age it can also develop as late as 40 years old.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/Worldwide_prevalence_of_lactose_intolerance_in_rec ent_populations.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0LY7g9t.png

There is a full list of all countries' lactose intolerance on here.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/lactose-intolerance-by-country

Daco Celtic
10-30-2023, 03:12 AM
About 70% of the world is lactose intolerant. While lactose intolerance can manifest at any age it can also develop as late as 40 years old.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/Worldwide_prevalence_of_lactose_intolerance_in_rec ent_populations.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0LY7g9t.png

There is a full list of all countries' lactose intolerance on here.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/lactose-intolerance-by-country

I'm surprised Australia doesn't have higher lactose tolerance but maybe it's the Asians.

Grace O'Malley
10-30-2023, 03:45 AM
I'm surprised Australia doesn't have higher in lactose tolerance but maybe it's the Asians.

Lots of Italians (they have 72% lactose intolerance), Asians and also Aboriginal people aren't high in lactose tolerance. Australia has 44% lactose intolerance according to this. Yes I would still have expected higher especially as New Zealand is only 10% lactose intolerance.

Melkiirs
10-30-2023, 04:28 AM
I think I am heterozygous for the European lactose persistence variant rs4988235 because I am slightly irritated by significant milk consumption but will find out when my kit is processed. My dad says that he is not lactose intolerant but never really consumes milk in any significant quantity. In fact none of his Ashkenazi family do this while my mother's Northern/Central European family regularly does. He is homozygous for the G allele of rs4988235 so he should not be lactose persistent despite his observation. If he was expected to drink milk with every meal growing up it might have been more apparent. He still consumes ice cream but also not usually in large quantities which would probably lead to flatulence.

Apart from production of the lactase enzyme intestinal microbiome does vary between people. There is some research demonstrating that using prebiotics to facilitate the growth of lactic acid bacteria.

"Ingesting lactic acid bacteria as a probiotic can alleviate the symptoms of lactose intolerance, but these bacteria may not persist in the colon. A promising new strategy is to “feed” the lactic acid bacteria a complex sugar that they can digest but humans cannot. In initial clinical trials, subjects using this “prebiotic” reported improved lactose tolerance and had a corresponding shift in their intestinal microbiome. Larger clinical trials are in progress.

So there is hope for lactose-intolerant people that real ice cream may be on the menu again."

https://biology.indiana.edu/news-events/news/2019/foster-lactose-intolerance.html

Vessna
10-30-2023, 04:32 AM
Gnome fact: Hard cheeses contain lactose in negligible amounts, even those who are lactose intolerant can eat hard cheeses in kilograms. No lactose in wine, for sure.

Obviously, there is no lactose in wine - I just prefer to pair my brie with it :)

Abti
10-30-2023, 04:33 AM
Perhaps. No complications but I haven’t found a positive LP gene for it. But, maybe I am just young. Who knows.

Daco Celtic
10-31-2023, 12:48 AM
Lots of Italians (they have 72% lactose intolerance), Asians and also Aboriginal people aren't high in lactose tolerance. Australia has 44% lactose intolerance according to this. Yes I would still have expected higher especially as New Zealand is only 10% lactose intolerance.

It's probably southern Italians specifically, like in America. We don't have a huge northern Italian population here. I'm not sure about the lactose tolerance of Greeks.

Melkiirs
10-31-2023, 02:19 AM
It's probably southern Italians specifically, like in America. We don't have a huge northern Italian population here. I'm not sure about the lactose tolerance of Greeks.

The Greeks who settled in Australia were predominantly islanders, so their frequency of lactose persistence is likely even lower than Greece overall.

According to one study 44.7% of continental Greeks are lactose intolerant based on glucose levels after milk consumption and it was found more common among Cretans and Greek Cypriots although the samples were smaller. Probably most Greek Australians are lactose intolerant.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01255784

This later study found 75% of a sample 200 Greeks from across the country as lactose intolerant according to glucose levels with it rising up to up to 87% among the 47 Islanders

https://gut.bmj.com/content/gutjnl/23/11/968.full.pdf

I can't find any data for rs4988235 or rs182549 associated with lactose persistence in Europeans for Greece but it should be well below the European average.

CordedWhelp
10-31-2023, 02:31 AM
I am not lactose intolerant, thank God.

Chron
12-07-2023, 12:22 AM
I am lactose intolerant, and I gave up dairy for a while. I started having the occasional bit of cheese every now and then because I miss it so much. I'm usually fine after a bit of choose, but a glass of milk or bowl of ice cream would decimate my guts.

nittionia
12-07-2023, 12:25 AM
I am not lactose intolerant. I drink whole milk with every meal

Kess
12-07-2023, 12:42 AM

Is this map fake? There is no way around %60-80 people in Turkey are lactose intolerant. I have never met a lactose intolerant guy in my life. My daily breakfast is basically oatmeal and raisins with milk. But I feel like sometimes yogurt upsets my stomach.

Melkiirs
12-07-2023, 12:48 AM

Is this map fake? There is no way around %60-80 people in Turkey are lactose intolerant. I have never met a lactose intolerant guy in my life. My daily breakfast is basically oatmeal and raisins with milk. But I feel like sometimes yogurt upsets my stomach.

Many people are lactose intolerant without knowing. The glucose level blood test can ascertain if an individual is lactose persistent for sure.

Kess
12-07-2023, 12:51 AM
Many people are lactose intolerant without knowing. The glucose level blood test can ascertain if an individual is lactose persistent for sure.

I think it would be waste of time to actually try to find out if somebody has no issues with drinking milk.

Melkiirs
12-07-2023, 12:56 AM
I think it would be waste of time to actually try to find out if somebody has no issues with drinking milk.

Does everybody you know consume milk in significant quantities? Intestinal microbiota are also a factor besides production of lactase. The test helps to quantify a rise in glucose levels which is more specific information.

Kess
12-07-2023, 12:58 AM
Does everybody you know consume milk in significant quantities?

I'm the only one in my circle who drinks milk regularly.

HectorOfTroy
12-07-2023, 03:34 AM
Not sure, I did Paleo diet once when I was 14 and all my bloating went away super fast and I felt amazing, either gluten and/or lactose intolerant to some degree.

Grace O'Malley
12-07-2023, 09:24 AM

If you've had a dna test you can see if you carry genes that show you are lactose tolerant or lactose intolerant. Lactose intolerance can kick in at a later age so I don't think these studies are incorrect. As Milkaner said a lot of people don't realise they are lactose intolerant as they don't really drink much milk.

If you have done 23andMe for instance the gene below is the one you check. If you have one of two As you are lactose tolerant and if you have two Gs you are lactose intolerant. My result below showing two AAs so I'm lactose tolerant.

https://i.imgur.com/PDVaVmN.png

Beowulf
12-07-2023, 09:27 AM
No, i'm not intolerant.

Kess
12-07-2023, 10:53 AM
If you've had a dna test you can see if you carry genes that show you are lactose tolerant or lactose intolerant. Lactose intolerance can kick in at a later age so I don't think these studies are incorrect. As Milkaner said a lot of people don't realise they are lactose intolerant as they don't really drink much milk.

If you have done 23andMe for instance the gene below is the one you check. If you have one of two As you are lactose tolerant and if you have two Gs you are lactose intolerant. My result below showing two AAs so I'm lactose tolerant.

https://i.imgur.com/PDVaVmN.png

I am going to do Family Tree DNA's Family Ancestry Test. I don't know if the results will show that I am lactose intolerant or not. Maybe there is a way to find out with raw data.

Zeno
12-07-2023, 01:44 PM
The Greeks who settled in Australia were predominantly islanders, so their frequency of lactose persistence is likely even lower than Greece overall.

According to one study 44.7% of continental Greeks are lactose intolerant based on glucose levels after milk consumption and it was found more common among Cretans and Greek Cypriots although the samples were smaller. Probably most Greek Australians are lactose intolerant.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01255784

This later study found 75% of a sample 200 Greeks from across the country as lactose intolerant according to glucose levels with it rising up to up to 87% among the 47 Islanders

https://gut.bmj.com/content/gutjnl/23/11/968.full.pdf

I can't find any data for rs4988235 or rs182549 associated with lactose persistence in Europeans for Greece but it should be well below the European average.

There's no way it's that high. Most people consume dairy products and don't face any problems. I myself am consuming dairy products everyday in big quantities and I have nothing. Same as almost everyone amongst my relatives.

I in particular don't have any problems. It only "eases" me up when I have constipation.

Edit: saw the survey based on which the results for Greece were drawn from: too little of a sample to judge properly. 200 individuals cannot judge tens of million Greeks.

Melkiirs
12-07-2023, 02:16 PM
There's no way it's that high. Most people consume dairy products and don't face any problems. I myself am consuming dairy products everyday in big quantities and I have nothing. Same as almost everyone amongst my relatives.

I in particular don't have any problems. It only "eases" me up when I have constipation.

Edit: saw the survey based on which the results for Greece were drawn from: too little of a sample to judge properly. 200 individuals cannot judge tens of million Greeks.

Not all dairy products contain significant lactose. Do you ever drink milk in significant quantities?

You are right that the sampling might be too limited to be fully representative. What it does still likely indicate is that Greek Islanders might have higher rates of lactose intolerance than mainlanders. This should not be too surprising given the latter have a bit more Northern/Slavic admixture.

Zeno
12-07-2023, 02:19 PM
Not all dairy products contain significant lactose. Do you ever drink milk in significant quantities?

You are right that the sampling might be too limited to be fully representative. What it does still likely indicate is that Greek Islanders might have higher rates of lactose intolerance than mainlanders. This should not be too surprising given the latter have a bit more Northern/Slavic admixture.

Up to two large glasses of milk everyday. And yoghurt.

Well, of course the rates might still be significant, but still, it's really not that big as the surveys say, precisely due to the sample size, containing a very big margin of error.

Plus, one important aspect: the younger generations are significantly taller than previous ones here. Meaning a bigger degree to acclimatisation to consuming dairy products. Which is indeed noticeable. Let's not forget that 1991 is 32 (almost 33) years ago.

Token
12-07-2023, 02:35 PM
I've seen lots of people who thought they were lactose intolerant due to feeling sick after drinking ultraprocessed (i.e poisoned) milk being perfectly fine when drinking large quantities of raw milk.

PlattitüdenPaule
12-07-2023, 02:41 PM
Nope. I dont consume a lot of dairy though, due to the high amount of estrogen in it. Only some butter and whipped cream for certain dishes.

Benyzero
12-07-2023, 03:12 PM
Even someone with lactose sensitivity can process like 3 dl of milk a day without problem.

calxpal
12-08-2023, 06:35 AM
Nope, I love most dairy stuff.

Grace O'Malley
12-08-2023, 06:47 AM
I am going to do Family Tree DNA's Family Ancestry Test. I don't know if the results will show that I am lactose intolerant or not. Maybe there is a way to find out with raw data.

Great. Yes you'll be able to check if you are tolerant or not. Post your results in a thread when you get them. It will be interesting to see what your get for your Ancestry Composition.

Grace O'Malley
12-08-2023, 07:17 AM
It is interesting that most people here are lactose tolerant as per the poll above but over 75% of the world's population will develop lactose intolerance over time.

According to nutrition consultant and natural chef, Karyn Forsyth Duggan, M.S., BBS, not only is lactose intolerance "no fun!" but "it's estimated that up to 75% of the world's population have and/or will develop hypolactasia," a specific term for lactose intolerance that indicates a deficiency of the enzyme lactase in the intestines. "Adverse reactions to foods encompass both food allergies and food intolerances," she adds. "Lactose intolerance doesn't actually involve the immune system; instead it's the result of the body's inability to digest/absorb/metabolize a food or a component of the food."

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/cheeses-lowest-in-lactose-best-for-lactose-intolerance

Abti
12-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Yes.

HelloGuys
12-08-2023, 07:29 AM
No...for now, but who knows in a future?

So I am not sure if vote right now or in a few years :lol:

Zeno
12-08-2023, 08:50 AM
It is interesting that most people here are lactose tolerant as per the poll above but over 75% of the world's population will develop lactose intolerance over time.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/cheeses-lowest-in-lactose-best-for-lactose-intolerance

Because we're Europeans. Europeans have the least amount of lactose intolerance.

Grace O'Malley
12-08-2023, 09:19 AM
Because we're Europeans. Europeans have the least amount of lactose intolerance.

Plenty of European are lactose intolerant. Which shouldn't be a surprise. Highest tolerance are in countries that had a big reliance on dairy farming. You'd be surprised at the amount in some European countries.

https://milk.procon.org/lactose-intolerance-by-country/

And figures are from this study which was published in the Lancet.

Country, regional, and global estimates for lactose
malabsorption in adults: a systematic review and
meta-analysis
Christian Løvold Storhaug*, Svein Kjetil Fosse*, Lars T Fadnes

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/langas/PIIS2468-1253(17)30154-1.pdf

Map from study above.

https://i.imgur.com/ZrQEWAj.png

Nurzat
12-08-2023, 09:27 AM
not intolerant and used to drink milk until my late 20s, after which I started not liking it anymore and I really never drink milk at all for many years now, over 7-8 years, yuck.

I am not a fan of cheese either and I only eat it if it's some really good one, I do enjoy some French cheese, especially the softer smelly types, yummy.

other than that I like some strongly smoked hard cheese.

that's all, I am not big on dairy.

on meat I am not big either, other than beef burgers and some types of grilled pork, which I enjoy, and various types of fish, but not seafood (shrimps etc yuck).

I like fruits and vegetables a lot.

Zeno
12-08-2023, 09:39 AM
Plenty of European are lactose intolerant. Which shouldn't be a surprise. Highest tolerance are in countries that had a big reliance on dairy farming. You'd be surprised at the amount in some European countries.

https://milk.procon.org/lactose-intolerance-by-country/

And figures are from this study which was published in the Lancet.

Country, regional, and global estimates for lactose
malabsorption in adults: a systematic review and
meta-analysis
Christian Løvold Storhaug*, Svein Kjetil Fosse*, Lars T Fadnes

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/langas/PIIS2468-1253(17)30154-1.pdf

Map from study above.

https://i.imgur.com/ZrQEWAj.png

The data presented on the map here make much more sense, honestly. Greece is at the 30% range most likely. The weird thing however is Cyprus, where it presented a 16% lactose malabsorption rate. Despite being genetically more Middle Eastern than the rest of Greeks. Niger is also a very weird case.

Plus, a much bigger sample size, meaning a lot smaller margins of error. They did their job well.

kingmob
12-08-2023, 09:41 AM
Despite being genetically more Middle Eastern than the rest of Greeks. Niger is also a very weird case.

What does being middle eastern have to do with it.

Arabs are known for being lactose tolerant and so do certain SSA groups.

You are trying to conflate 'whiteness' with lactose tolerance now?

Are people that mentally handicapped?

Zeno
12-08-2023, 09:48 AM
What does being middle eastern have to do with it.

Arabs are known for being lactose tolerant and so do certain SSA groups.

You are trying to conflate 'whiteness' with lactose tolerance now?

Are people that mentally handicapped?

You make it about whiteness, when I just noticed that even due to its proximity to the Middle East, it has a bigger lactose tolerance rate than Greece and any other southern European country.

Why do you conflate two completely irrelevant questions? It might as well not have to do with genetics at all.

Scandal
12-08-2023, 10:05 AM

Lactose content of cheese and butter is very little to none.

Grace O'Malley
12-08-2023, 10:39 AM
The data presented on the map here make much more sense, honestly. Greece is at the 30% range most likely. The weird thing however is Cyprus, where it presented a 16% lactose malabsorption rate. Despite being genetically more Middle Eastern than the rest of Greeks. Niger is also a very weird case.

Plus, a much bigger sample size, meaning a lot smaller margins of error. They did their job well.

It's got a list in that study. It's quite interesting. Greece is 55% lactose intolerant but Italy has higher lactose intolerance at 72%. Some surprising results are countries like the Czech Republic which are 81% lactose intolerant which is really odd to me.

https://i.imgur.com/GOrkSyc.png

Zeno
12-08-2023, 11:25 AM
It's got a list in that study. It's quite interesting. Greece is 55% lactose intolerant but Italy has higher lactose intolerance at 72%. Some surprising results are countries like the Czech Republic which are 81% lactose intolerant which is really odd to me.

https://i.imgur.com/GOrkSyc.png

Didn't they find a range between 19-37% for northern, western and southern Europe, with the average being 28%?

https://i.imgur.com/QsdNUwL.jpeg

The table you cited is the other research that was conducted in previous decades. Greece's figures in particular are from a paper dated back to 1991, with a sample size of 200 individuals. It was cited by Milkaner a bit above.

catgeorge
12-08-2023, 11:39 AM
I cant drink raw milk

Kess
01-22-2024, 12:12 AM
Great. Yes you'll be able to check if you are tolerant or not. Post your results in a thread when you get them. It will be interesting to see what your get for your Ancestry Composition.

Hello, I got my FTDNA results. Can you help me identify whether I am lactose-tolerant or not?

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?381103-kessaras-s-MyOrigins-Results&p=7892501#post7892501

Annihilus
01-22-2024, 12:23 AM
Hello, I got my FTDNA results. Can you help me identify whether I am lactose-tolerant or not?

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?381103-kessaras-s-MyOrigins-Results&p=7892501#post7892501

You don't need dna for that, drink a glass of milk lol

Kess
01-31-2024, 12:26 PM
You don't need dna for that, drink a glass of milk lol

Milkaner said people can be lactose intolerant without realizing and according to yourdnaportal, I have lactose intolerance genes.

Melkiirs
01-31-2024, 12:49 PM
Milkaner said people can be lactose intolerant without realizing and according to yourdnaportal, I have lactose intolerance genes.

Try GeneX's free lactose intolerance report available on Sequencing.com:
https://sequencing.com/marketplace/lactose-intolerance-dna-test-report

According to the SNPs of the halpotype genotyped with my AncestryDNA raw data I have no lactose persistence variants although the summary indicates "No Increased Risk Detected" because two SNPs were not genotyped.

Lactose metabolism is impacted by more that just the synthesis of lactase, so individuals with the same genotype can vary in their lactose reaction. Intestinal microbiota is also an important factor.