PDA

View Full Version : Misconceptions, stereotypes, and assumptions about your ethnicity?

Terek
06-15-2011, 08:55 PM
What do people assume about your ethnic background? What is the funniest or most outrageous thing you have heard from people? :D And how much is true?

To start:

Chechens
...lol, all of the most obvious
*Are violent all the time (not really, but understandable)
*They are terrorists, or know a terrorist (absolutely not)
*All we think about is war (absolutely not)
*Hate all Russians (sort of, hate is a strong word though)
*All Muslim (generally true, but some people are not religious)
*Dark skin, look like Arab (absolutely not)
*Are either hairy and ugly, or handsome and romantic dzhigity, depending on your preference ;)
*Are badass (yes)

Probably the most annoying is when people always ask the question, is your family still alive, or did everyone die in the war?

Estonians
*Are slow (not true, this is from the Estonian accent when speaking Russian, it sounds slower)
*All have blond hair and blue eyes (not always)
*Are inferior to Finnish and a poor immitation of Finland (No!)
*Are obsessed with technology (somewhat)
*Hate all Russians (usually ;) )
*Are drunk (We have a higher tolerance than Russians!)
*Are bad at driving (Yes. But there are worse)
*Are unfriendly (No.)

This post is not meant to have some agenda or anything, it is more out of curiosity, as in, what kind of ridiculous things have you heard about "your" ethnicity?
I also once had someone ask me if Chechnya was the capital of Albania (!!!) and if it still existed.

Efim45
06-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Some of the stereotypes of Russians that are true:
-They are morons
-They are alcoholics and drug addicts
-They are controlled by marxist jews and are thus incapable of making their own decisions
Poles:
-They like the nazis
-They are stupid

Don't know any misconceptions 'bout Mordvins.

Rochefaton
06-15-2011, 09:10 PM
We're fat, stupid, lazy and slow talking rednecks that have sex with our cousins.

Grumpy Cat
06-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Acadians:

- Anti-Canada, not willing to serve or contribute to the country (right, tell that to those who fought in WWI, WWII, and Afghanistan :rolleyes:)

- Drug dealers/bootleggers/gangsters (ummm... no)

- Like sports cars (ummm... yeah. I drive a Genesis)

- Can't speak either English or French proficiently (I speak English better than most Americans and French better than most Quebecers or Frenchmen)

- Devout Catholics (old people, yeah)

- Eat lots of fish (yeah)

- Like to paint their houses bright colours... oh yes, an Acadian totally must have designed the set for Edward Scissorhands :D

http://thumbnails.hulu.com/10/71/33160_512x288_generated__ZoVyyLEhHU+IY-69Fcuk-Q.jpg

Sikeliot
06-15-2011, 09:14 PM
We're Europe's own Latin Americans (not truly Europeans) with a second-hand version of Spanish culture and we are swarthy Moors.

Mordid
06-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Some of the stereotypes of Russians that are true:
-They are morons
-They are alcoholics and drug addicts
-They are controlled by marxist jews and are thus incapable of making their own decisions
Poles:
-They like the nazis
-They are stupid

Don't know any misconceptions 'bout Mordvins.

At least I'm not stupid unlike you, Gypo.

The stereotypes of Poles :
- They say kurwa a lot
- An immigrant
- broad face, short and blonde/light eyes (that is true, actually)
- Thay are quite often drunk

Efim45
06-15-2011, 09:16 PM
At least I'm not stupid unlike you, Gypo.

The stereotypes of Poles :
- They say kurwa a lot
- An immigrant
- broad face, short and blonde/light eyes (that is true, actually)
- Thay are quite often drunk

What about Mordvins?

Mordid
06-15-2011, 09:17 PM
What about Mordvins?

I don't know about them, so I can't speak for themselves.

Logan
06-15-2011, 09:22 PM
The Welsh are slow,
the Scottish mean with money,
the Irish seldom sober,
the Germans lack a sense of humour,
the French snotty,
the Spanish garlic smelling gits,
the Italians obsessed with mirrors,
and the Americans loud, and rude.

I've heard these.

Hope you feel better!

billErobreren
06-15-2011, 10:30 PM
:smilie_flagge3:We're annoying, lard-asses, capitalist monkeys, putative fathers of democracy, loud, dumb, over-bearing, hypocrites, intrusive & like to talk & stick our noses stuff we've no business in &, or know nothing about:tongue & our English sucks donkey balls apparently

Now on :smilie_flagge14:
The food sucks,
We're indiscreet libertines(well, I do admit not having an issue with being naked),
Can't hold their booze:drink,
disturbingly happy:D,
Frigid(mainly cuz we don't really respond to dumbass pick-up lines, we don't take kindly to the pretentious)

And on :drink3:
Matriarchs, Violent, Miserable or Drunk:icon_drunk:

billErobreren
06-15-2011, 10:43 PM
We're annoying, lard-asses, capitalist monkeys, putative fathers of democracy, loud, dumb, over-bearing, hypocrites, intrusive & like to talk & stick our noses stuff we've no business in &, or know nothing about:tongue & our English sucks donkey balls apparently

Now on :smilie_flagge14:
The food sucks,
We're indiscreet libertines(while I do admit not having an issue with being naked),
Can't hold their booze:drink,
disturbingly happy:D,
Frigid(mainly cuz we don't really respond to dumbass pick-up lines, we don't take kindly to the pretentious)

And on :drink3:
Matriarchs, Violent, Miserable or Drunk:icon_drunk:

Foxy
06-25-2011, 03:11 PM
the Italians obsessed with mirrors

This is true. :embarrassed

BeerBaron
06-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Well I live in North America so people dont really pick things apart if you're white its usually just left at that, but some i have heard about scandinavians in general in north america

arrogant
tall
blonde
blue eyed
emotionally cold
don't like to be touched
don't talk much

^now that i think about it i fit most of these, so maybe its not far off

Äike
06-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Estonians
*Are slow (not true, this is from the Estonian accent when speaking Russian, it sounds slower)
*All have blond hair and blue eyes (not always)
*Are inferior to Finnish and a poor immitation of Finland (No!)
*Are obsessed with technology (somewhat)
*Hate all Russians (usually ;) )
*Are drunk (We have a higher tolerance than Russians!)
*Are bad at driving (Yes. But there are worse)
*Are unfriendly (No.)

I'm just asking out of curiousity, have you ever lived in Estonia or visited Estonia?

Other Europeans thinking that the Estonians are Baltic is a rather common misconception.

Catuvellaunian
07-08-2011, 10:04 PM
- we're polite (bullsh*t are we)
- our men are stuttering, shy weaklings (who also beat seven shades of shit out of any enemy we've ever had)
- our women are ugly (need I even give a list of hot english girls?)
- we drink a lot of tea (very true, we do love tea, but we don't have the whole polite "tea ceremony" crap people seem to think we have)
- we're hardened drinkers (completely true, bring it on Finland :P)
- we have bad teeth (nope, just the aristocracy)

Roy
09-19-2020, 08:41 PM
That we are mostly blonde and our favourite drink is vodka (not true).

Karadon
09-21-2020, 07:20 PM
It depends on the stupidity of the person who has misconceptions, stereotypes, and assumptions about my ethnicity

WeirdLookingFellow
09-21-2020, 07:23 PM
HIDE YO PURSE

HIDE YO BACKPACK

WE BURGLING EVERYBODY'S WALLETS OUT HERE

Chryssie Khanate
09-21-2020, 07:34 PM
I guess in America all white people are seen as the same. Everyone who isn't white thinks I'm German for some reason. Which is not wrong, I'm North Germanic in ancestry, but not German ethnically.

I think everyone thinks that white parents don't know how to properly discipline their kids, and are prone to raising school shooters & whiny dependent kids. Also they think we're ego-centric rather than family oriented.

Frowning Man
09-21-2020, 08:57 PM
Living in Russia, I noticed that Russians have very different, but at the same time banal, stereotypes about Georgians.

These are stereotypes about Georgians from the region of Russia where I live.

Stereotypes
1) That the Georgians are good at dancing folk dances and singing.
(This is not true. I hate dancing and singing.)

2) Georgians are cheerful, hospitable and open-minded.
(Absolutely untrue. A very strange and delusional image of a cheerful Georgian.)

Although some people think that Georgians are very closed and taciturn.
(This image is closer to me. This is how I see a standard and real Georgian.)

3) That we are bandits and that the majority of Georgians are necessarily members of the mafia.
(Not true. )

4) Hot-tempered, emotional and love to resolve conflicts with violence (fight). We always have pistols or knives with us. And that we generally like to fight.
(Not true.
For example, I am calmer and colder-blooded than most people in Russia.
Although I have always loved to fight. Anyway, I love fighting sports.)

5) That we are all black, similar to Arabs, Iranians and Pakistanis.
(Absolutely untrue.)

6) Hairy and ugly.
(I don't know if it's true or not. All people have different tastes and preferences. Very subjective.)

7) Some Russians think that we are all Muslims.
(Absolutely not true)

8) That we are very arrogant and very proud.
(More likely no than yes. Although we are not deprived of pride).

El_Abominacion
09-21-2020, 09:23 PM
HIDE YO PURSE

HIDE YO BACKPACK

WE BURGLING EVERYBODY'S WALLETS OUT HERE

The amount of people here who believe that Romanian = Gypsy is mind boggling, even in the papers you'll see obvious gypsies just being listed as 'Romanian' and nothing else

Mikula
09-22-2020, 08:12 PM
i dont know how much stereotypes exists about Czechs, but at least one is true, IMHO:
Each Czech is Mister-Know-It-All :)

https://vltava.rozhlas.cz/sites/default/files/images/00865327.jpeg

Zeno
09-22-2020, 09:31 PM
The usual: hairy, loud, olive pluckers, eat souvlakia all the time, denbts.

Zroota
09-23-2020, 12:26 AM
That, either, we are Arabs or a Kurdish/Iranian group who got "Assyrianized" and began to speak Aramaic. These are the most common assumption about us.

Mikula
09-26-2020, 08:11 PM
What about jokes ?

2 shipwrecked Czechs saved themselves at a deserted island. What they will do, there?
- They wil start 3 political parties, there!

ModernMaskil
09-26-2020, 08:17 PM
The usual: hairy, loud, olive pluckers, eat souvlakia all the time, denbts.

Why would you not eat Souvlaki all the time?

ModernMaskil
09-26-2020, 08:18 PM
Think I'll sit this thread out.

brennus dux gallorum
09-26-2020, 10:15 PM
Why would you not eat Souvlaki all the time?

consuming red meat all the time is not the healthiest habbit you could adopt :D

Especially pork, which is the most unhealthy kind of meat

calxpal
11-13-2023, 10:36 PM
Well I have to say that the way people treat me now that I live in Canada is different than it was in the US, and not in a way I like. I always tell people when I can that I was born in the US to Canadian parents to avoid confusion about my background when I mention I live in Canada lol, but I have noticed that now people seem to see me as Canadian by default (mainly Non-Canadians) that people seem to assume that I'm a fucking pushover, that I must be super nice, that I must always be forgiving, and even that I must be a bit naive and lazy, and that I must be liberal even though these things are not true and I'm getting really tired and sick of them I honestly really wish people would treat the way they did before tbh I absolutely hate the stereotypes, but not only that people seem to think they can get away with being ruder to me now because they think I won't get revenge or delete them but they'll end up being surprised that yeah I do not tolerate that and I will never be miss fucking sweetheart about it. If you think this about me you better fuck off because I am not this type of person and you will REGRET being rude to me! And if do you are probably on my hated TA members list which is in my notebook btw lol.

gixajo
11-13-2023, 10:44 PM
And if do you are probably on my hated TA members list which is in my notebook btw lol.

We are all eagerly waiting for you to make public your blacklist of forum members you hate.:)

calxpal
11-14-2023, 04:02 AM
We are all eagerly waiting for you to make public your blacklist of forum members you hate.:)

If only I had the guts to do it lol, I know many users on here would do that but not me haha I just am worried I'll waste my time with naysayers and those who try to fight me over why I picked them (for a GOOD reason).

Mortimer
11-14-2023, 09:53 AM
The biggest misconception is probably that we are travelling people or all of us, in caravans etc.

Majority of Roma are not anymore or since a century anymore. They used to be, they also went from town to town with dancing bears, sold self-made things, etc. But since long not anymore.

Also that all of us practice magic, crystall ball, skull and bones etc... Only a small minority does. Just like not all Irish are Wiccans.

HectorOfTroy
11-19-2023, 03:20 PM
People think we're short.

Hithaeglir
11-19-2023, 07:21 PM
Well I have to say that the way people treat me now that I live in Canada is different than it was in the US, and not in a way I like. I always tell people when I can that I was born in the US to Canadian parents to avoid confusion about my background when I mention I live in Canada lol, but I have noticed that now people seem to see me as Canadian by default (mainly Non-Canadians) that people seem to assume that I'm a fucking pushover, that I must be super nice, that I must always be forgiving, and even that I must be a bit naive and lazy, and that I must be liberal even though these things are not true and I'm getting really tired and sick of them I honestly really wish people would treat the way they did before tbh I absolutely hate the stereotypes, but not only that people seem to think they can get away with being ruder to me now because they think I won't get revenge or delete them but they'll end up being surprised that yeah I do not tolerate that and I will never be miss fucking sweetheart about it. If you think this about me you better fuck off because I am not this type of person and you will REGRET being rude to me! And if do you are probably on my hated TA members list which is in my notebook btw lol.

You can just report them :)

calxpal
11-20-2023, 02:06 AM
You can just report them :)

I would 100% on TA if it was serious enough, sadly the vast majority of these experiences have been outside of TA or in real life (which I should have mentioned) and sometimes the behavior is very subtle or in the form of assumptions and microaggressions. My parents said they also feel like they've been treated this way a bit as well. I've had mixed experiences reporting people on other websites in my experience most of the time they won't even get a warning and then I just block them and move on.

Grace O'Malley
11-20-2023, 02:13 AM
The biggest misconception is probably that we are travelling people or all of us, in caravans etc.

Majority of Roma are not anymore or since a century anymore. They used to be, they also went from town to town with dancing bears, sold self-made things, etc. But since long not anymore.

Also that all of us practice magic, crystall ball, skull and bones etc... Only a small minority does. Just like not all Irish are Wiccans.

"Irish are Wiccans"? I've never heard that one before. Is that even a thing? :)

Tradra
11-20-2023, 03:01 AM

My third great grandmother was know for sorcery (https://batreisende-no.translate.goog/?page_id=1003&_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=no&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp), my aunt did/does tarot readings and my mom was really into all that psychic stuff. Personally I don't like this stuff as it goes against God's commandments.

Mortimer
11-20-2023, 03:25 AM
"Irish are Wiccans"? I've never heard that one before. Is that even a thing? :)

I imagined ancient celtic magic, druidism etc. im not sure if wiccan is a celtic thing, or germanic thing?

Wiccans are witches, they are europeans but im not sure if they are irish, i for some reason associated them with the irish sorry

Tradra
11-20-2023, 03:35 AM
Wicca is a constructed neo-pagan religion.