PDA

View Full Version : How certain Western and Middle East countries caused the Syrian "Civil War"

Dragoon
04-23-2019, 04:40 AM
EXCLUSIVE: How CIA & allies helped jihadists in Syria (GlobalGeoNews.com)

Maxime Chaix, an expert on clandestine operations, intelligence and US foreign policy, is a journalist and regular contributor to GlobalGeoNews.com. He has written La guerre de l’ombre en Syrie (The Shadow War in Syria, published in French by Éditions Erick Bonnier), a shocker of a book in which he reveals insightful information on the support which several Western intelligence services provided to jihadist militias in Syria, starting with the CIA. His investigation reveals a multi-faceted state scandal and points out the murky game played by the Western powers and their Middle Eastern allies in the Levant.

Emmanuel Razavi: First of all, please refresh our memories about what operation Timber Sycamore is.

Maxime Chaix: Timber Sycamore is the codename of a covert operation officially authorized by Obama in June 2013 to train and equip the anti-Assad rebellion, but which actually started in October 2011, when the CIA was operating via Britain’s MI6 to avoid having to notify Congress that it was arming the rebels in Syria. Originally, the CIA and MI6 (the British foreign intelligence service) set up a rebel arms supply network in Syria from Libya — a plan that involved the Saudi, Qatari and Turkish intelligence services. In 2012, probably in spring, Obama reluctantly signed a top-secret executive order, of which little is known other than that it authorized the CIA to provide “non-lethal support” to the rebels in Syria. In concrete terms, then, what the CIA did was to link up its Qatari and Saudi allies with a number of arms manufacturers in the Balkans (Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Croatia, etc.). With the backing of NATO, which controls arms exports from the Balkans via EUFOR, Qatari and Saudi secret services began buying up weapons and ammunition from these countries to illegally equip anti-Assad rebels. A few months later, in October 2012, the New York Times revealed that this vast CIA-sponsored arms trafficking was mainly going to support jihadist groups in Syria, while arms exports by air were growing, with weapons being injected into Syrian territory from “operation rooms” in Turkey and Jordan, through the FSA (“Free Syria Army”) and local arms traffickers. Finally, it turned out that these “operation rooms” were cobbled together by fifteen Western and Middle Eastern intelligence services, including the DGSE (French foreign intelligence service) and MI6, although the we do not yet know exactly what role these various agencies played in this secret war. What is clear — and what I demonstrate in my book with irrefutable evidence —is that tens of thousands of tons of weapons and millions of rounds of ammunition were brought into the Syrian theater of war by this operation. It is also proven that these armaments mostly went to equip jihadist groups, including the terrorist militia which proclaimed itself “Islamic State” in June 2014. Ultimately, Donald Trump decided to phase out this operation in early summer 2017. This was a major setback for the CIA, as the US President was thereby conceding the defeat of the United States and its partners in the war against Syria and its Russian, Iranian and Lebanese allies.

ER: What concrete evidence do you have to show that US intelligence services have provided support to jihadist militias in Syria?

MC: The coordination role that the Agency signed off on in the fall of 2011 is now a proven fact, as we know that it was belatedly confirmed in June 2018 by Ben Rhodes, Obama’s chief adviser from 2009 to 2017. During the interview in question, Rhodes argued that the blacklisting of al-Nusra Front on the State Department’s list of terrorist organizations in December 2012 was a “schizophrenic” move, since it was obvious that the jihadist militia was a “big chunk” of the anti-Assad opposition, as he put it in his own words. During that interview, journalist Mehdi Hasan not only elicited from him that the CIA had played a coordinating role in this vast arms trade, but also that US involvement in this shadow war had been much greater than we thought. According to the Washington Post, it was one of the CIA’s “largest covert operations” in its history. In January 2016, the New York Times confirmed this, noting that the CIA’s maneuvers to overthrow Assad were part of a multinational campaign involving billions of petrodollars from the Gulf states, mainly spent by Saudi Arabia. It must be understood that this secret war ushered in, between 2011 and 2017, close cooperation between Western secret services and their Turkish and Middle Eastern counterparts. Thus, many experts and journalists were making a mistake by analyzing the operations of the various Middle Eastern powers in isolation from those of the Western governments. On the contrary, as the former Qatari Prime Minister admitted in 2017, it was a joint and coordinated operation involving all of those intelligence services. Due to the record number of public and private funders backing this campaign, and the tens of thousands of anti-Assad mujaheddin who were directly or indirectly aided by the CIA and its allies, I believe this could be the most massive clandestine operation in the history of the Agency. However, I have not been able to determine that with certainty due to the secrecy of this shadow war, which prevents access to archives and severely limits the quantity of leaks to the press. The fact remains, however, that I was able to assemble in my book hundreds of undisputed sources which combine to corroborate my writing. In this book, internationally renowned researchers such as Joshua Landis and Christopher Davidson support my arguments, which I developed after a long investigation that I launched in 2014. Once again, I invite your readers to consult the evidence cited in my book, as it is overwhelming. I would take this opportunity to point out that Bashar al-Assad and his allies have committed major abuses against Syrian civilians, and that my book is not intended to excuse what they are responsible for. Nevertheless, and to date, the Western media have focused mainly on the crimes of Assad and his supporters, while suppressing or downplaying the vast shadow war launched by the CIA and its partners in the fall of 2011.

ER: What role did France play in these jihadist militias in Syria? Did it unambiguously support members of the Muslim Brotherhood and al-Qaeda?

MC: Operation Timber Sycamore is a clandestine operation, and such campaigns are not owned up to by those sponsoring them — at least, not typically. In this case, however, the operation has become one of such magnitude over time that Western powers have had to communicate something about it, albeit misleadingly. That is to say, succor to jihadist groups has long been described by Western government spokesmen as “non-lethal support” for so-called “moderate” rebels, yet the reality on the ground is that the “moderate rebel force” that is the Free Syria Army (FSA) has served as a pool of fighters, weapons and ammunition for the anti-Assad jihadist nebula, whose tacticians and militiamen were much more effective than the FSA itself. As I explain in my book, the FSA has been dependent on jihadist groups, first and foremost al-Nusra Front, and vice versa. Other factions of the FSA were completely put out of action by the jihadists, their arsenals being looted by the Islamist militias, including the Islamic Front in December 2013. At the very least, it is clear that the FSA as a disunited and complex bundle of anti-Assad armed groups was supported by Western powers as it fought shoulder to shoulder with jihadist groups, including with what later became Daesh, until the winter of 2013-2014. In January 2014, the first major fighting erupted between Daesh and other rebel groups, including al-Nusra Front. It must be emphasized that, until their split in April 2013, al-Nusra Front and the soon-to-be-called “Islamic State” formed a single entity. More specifically, the founder of al-Nusra was sent to Syria in August 2011 by the leader of the future Daesh, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, to fight Assad’s troops. However, between 2012 and 2014, it is beyond question that al-Nusra was the driving force of the rebellion in Syria, its tacticians developing major operations that allowed the conquest of various territories by the “Islamic State”, such as Camp Yarmouk south of Damascus, Raqqa, or Deir ez-Zor. In summary, the combined operations of the FSA and al-Nusra enabled the nascent Daesh to then establish itself in many Syrian cities following the split between al-Nusra and the “Islamic State”.

Article continues:

http://maximechaix.info/?p=3821

justTosee
04-26-2019, 08:06 AM
Exaclty what I was thinkin: the West trained and supported Jihadists, while on the media Assad was mostly blamed/bashed for everything.

and this was all set up, by the West, for the sole purpose of murder and killing. I hope WWIII will see the extermination of Western people(particulalry France/Belgium, celtic part of GB, and US)

Borealis
04-26-2019, 08:08 AM
Conspiracies. When Assad was raping and murdering children how do you claim it was instigated by the west.

Nazarene
04-26-2019, 08:08 AM
Conspiracies. When Assad was raping and murdering children how do you claim it was instigated by the west.

Proof

Borealis
04-26-2019, 08:10 AM
It is well known many children were raped then killed by the Syrian army

Proof

Nazarene
04-26-2019, 08:12 AM
The West tried to do in Syria what they did in Iraq and Libya. Not even for the benefit of the European peoples, rather for their corrupt governments and of course Israel. I thank God for the bravery of the Russians, hopefully they do what is necessary to counter the aggression of the USA.

justTosee
04-26-2019, 08:14 AM

Except that Assad was never murdering or even less "raping" Children. It's all your butthurt fantasies to come up with something against Assad.

And it's not even Assad who was raping, no it's the islamic state: you Western people are so inferior that you have to accuse the victim of the crimes the criminals did.

Nazarene
04-26-2019, 08:14 AM
It is well known many children were raped then killed by the Syrian army

Lol well known is just another two words for western propaganda.

justTosee
04-26-2019, 08:16 AM
Proof

There is no proof

Subhuman western rat just want to point at Assad to hide and protect their dirty jihadist brethren.

He doesnt even show any evidence : people like him must be shot at sight just for the pleasure of killing westerners.

Nazarene
04-26-2019, 08:16 AM
Except that Assad was never murdering or even less "raping" Children. It's all your butthurt fantasies to come up with something against Assad.

And it's not even Assad who was raping, no it's the islamic state: you Western people are so inferior that you have to accuse the victim of the crimes the criminals did.

While I don't like the shitty dictatorships of the Middle East, let's not forget who was funding ISIS and other terrorist groups.

justTosee
04-26-2019, 08:19 AM
let's not forget who was funding ISIS and other terrorist groups.

you mean Saudi Arabia ? France ? GB ? USA ? Belgium ?

Borealis
04-26-2019, 08:19 AM

Leaving aside jihadists and fanatics that emerged later, many opposition supporters and family members were held captive and tortured raped etc.

Lol well known is just another two words for western propaganda.

It’s a fact. The Syrian regime are known for this behavior

justTosee
04-26-2019, 08:24 AM
Leaving aside jihadists and fanatics that emerged later, many opposition supporters and family members were held captive and tortured raped etc.

It’s a fact. The Syrian regime are known for this behavior

Why do you keep talking ?

Why don't you just take a gun, exterminate you filthy family, and shoot yourself into the grave ?

You would do the world a great gift : not only your filthy genes would be erazed, but there would also be one less westerners to spread unfounded lies like these.

Borealis
04-26-2019, 08:25 AM
Why do you keep talking ?

Why don't you just take a gun, exterminate you filthy family, and shoot yourself into the grave ?

You would do the world a great gift : not only your filthy genes would be erazed, but there would also be one less westerners to spread unfounded lies like these.

Tomorrow we will settle this. I will have sources

justTosee
04-26-2019, 08:32 AM
Tomorrow we will settle this. I will have sources

what kind of crap are you up to, you subhuman western rat ?

Do you believe anyone would give any credit on western related sources accusing the other side of crimes they didn't commit while you and your countries were fully supporting ISIS/Daesh and the killing of thousands ?

Ayetooey
04-26-2019, 08:39 AM
The West supported the fanatic "Rebels" in an attempt to destabilise these poor nations and increase the Wests sphere of influence. Assad has however persevered; and with Russian backing, there's no chance of the radical scum "rebels" taking Syria. Syria will not be another Libya or Iraq and the globalists hate that fact.

Borealis
04-26-2019, 09:29 AM
what kind of crap are you up to, you subhuman western rat ?

Do you believe anyone would give any credit on western related sources accusing the other side of crimes they didn't commit while you and your countries were fully supporting ISIS/Daesh and the killing of thousands ?

“Fully supporting ISIS”
How? By bombing then? The United States has singularly done the most damage to IS of any country. The Russians were forced to rely on evacuation deals every time they won a victory against a rebel enclave.
Rebel enclaves which existed on the outskirts of Damascus for YEARS under siege. Is that some globalist plot, or is it it organic, local resistance?

I oppose the extremism of the rebel factions but such corrupt/murderous dictatorships are not innocent. If you support them, then you have to support them for what they are not some idealized version...

justTosee
04-26-2019, 09:44 AM
“Fully supporting ISIS”
How? By bombing then? The United States has singularly done the most damage to IS of any country. The Russians were forced to rely on evacuation deals every time they won a victory against a rebel enclave.
Rebel enclaves which existed on the outskirts of Damascus for YEARS under siege. Is that some globalist plot, or is it it organic, local resistance?

I oppose the extremism of the rebel factions but such corrupt/murderous dictatorships are not innocent. If you support them, then you have to support them for what they are not some idealized version...

The US never bombed any ISIS held position, the Coalition you talk about was nothing but a filthy lie, and while you were filled with propaganda and lies by Western media, the same coalition did nothing but destroying bunkers, facilities held by the Syrian governement, arm depose, entire households that belonged to wealthy syrian families that were in the governement.

Bridges, hospitals, convoyes of civilians, even water supplies were bombed and attacked by the international coalition led by the US. So guess what ? The coalition only helpd ISIS, by targeting these position, but also mostly by targeting Syrian gouvernement forces (or as the West likes to say : Assad's evil forces) and during those events, ISIS never stopped growing.

Borealis
04-26-2019, 09:46 AM
The US never bombed any ISIS held position, the Coalition you talk about was nothing but a filthy lie, and while you were filled with propaganda and lies by Western media, the same coalition did nothing but destroying bunkers, facilities held by the Syrian governement, arm depose, entire households that belonged to wealthy syrian families that were in the governement.

Bridges, hospitals, convoyes of civilians, even water supplies were bombed and attacked by the international coalition led by the US. So guess what ? The coalition only helpd ISIS, by targeting these position, but also mostly by targeting Syrian gouvernement forces (or as the West likes to say : Assad's evil forces) and during those events, ISIS never stopped growing.

This is what’s known as delusion.

justTosee
04-26-2019, 09:50 AM
"The United States has singularly done the most damage" ? I guess you case is totally irredemeable. I will not go into further details, but we all know wich country killed in total 25-30.000 ISIS fighter during 2015-2016 (It's Russia, in any case you doubted)

I highly advice exterminating you entire race of your "american" filth lineage. You've already done enough evil with your country supporting, manifacturing, founding, hell even training Terrorists trough the world. We don't need now the spread of an "Anti-desinformation" propaganda, telling that Americans did the most to destroy ISIS, while it is totally untrue.

your case is urgently known as "Im a western filthy illitrate, with no school, no education, just a plain stupid american, I have no meaning at all in my life, just to blindly serve my evil masters"

Nazarene
04-26-2019, 09:53 AM
The US also funded radical Kurdish terrorists who took control of many Assyrian villages.

justTosee
04-26-2019, 09:57 AM
And where are your sources, you degenerate inferior western rat ?

Claiming that Assad raped innoncent children under the "civil" war with Daesh, you are a dirty, delusional, hypocrite.

justTosee
04-26-2019, 09:58 AM
The US also funded radical Kurdish terrorists who took control of many Assyrian villages.

mainly "muslims"; again whatever the US supports, it has to do with muslims. Luckely they were ousted quickly by the real kurds.

Borealis
04-26-2019, 10:29 PM
"The United States has singularly done the most damage" ? I guess you case is totally irredemeable. I will not go into further details, but we all know wich country killed in total 25-30.000 ISIS fighter during 2015-2016 (It's Russia, in any case you doubted)

I highly advice exterminating you entire race of your "american" filth lineage. You've already done enough evil with your country supporting, manifacturing, founding, hell even training Terrorists trough the world. We don't need now the spread of an "Anti-desinformation" propaganda, telling that Americans did the most to destroy ISIS, while it is totally untrue.

your case is urgently known as "Im a western filthy illitrate, with no school, no education, just a plain stupid american, I have no meaning at all in my life, just to blindly serve my evil masters"

It's unfortunate you had to resort to insults and attacks. Not that I really care though. This could have been a balanced conversation, but now I'm reminded why I don't discuss these matters with morons on the internet. They talk about these things like it's life and death for them when it's a world away. By the way, the war is already over, so why so triggered? The pro-Assad/Russian side seems to be more dogmatic by a large margin...

Since you're banned so you might not even see this, but then again, you're probably already back with at sock account or will be soon. Anyway, can you explain how ISIS lost so much territory in Iraq? Russia has only been active over Syria. Who helped the Iraqi army take back Fallujah, Mosul, Ramadi, and Tikrit? Do you deny there was no US military presence aiding the army in the form of warplanes, trainers, and special ops?

What about the four US soldiers that were killed recently in Manbij in Syria by an IS suicide bomber? How do you explain their deaths, if the United States has actually been covertly supporting IS the entire time?

Dragoon
04-26-2019, 11:56 PM
Exaclty what I was thinkin: the West trained and supported Jihadists, while on the media Assad was mostly blamed/bashed for everything.

and this was all set up, by the West, for the sole purpose of murder and killing. I hope WWIII will see the extermination of Western people(particulalry France/Belgium, celtic part of GB, and US)

You are right on the first part (the history with Mujahideen Taliban, Al Queda/Al Nustra/rename version #45)
But its unfair to the people of the West what you say in second part. There are Westerners (on this forum even, independent journalists, etc) who see beyond the disinfo mainstream news.