PDA

View Full Version : Another AncestryDna update coming

Dick
04-23-2019, 09:58 PM
via email

Your AncestryDNA® ethnicity estimate will automatically update May 30

Nazarene
04-23-2019, 10:08 PM
Would this include the genetic communities?

Dick
04-23-2019, 10:10 PM

idk. that's all it said.

Your AncestryDNA® ethnicity estimate will automatically update May 30
Your DNA doesn’t change, but the science behind it does. Using our latest research, Ancestry implements regular ethnicity updates to keep your results as precise as possible.

Nazarene
04-23-2019, 10:12 PM
idk. that's all it said.

it's cute how they tease us like that

waam
04-27-2019, 03:43 PM
I wish they added more regions, but probably not going to happen.

Rgvgjhvv
04-27-2019, 03:48 PM

That'd be nice because doing AncestryDNA was a load of poop for me. I got zero genetic communities lol.

But I learned I was 2% South Asian and 1% Iranian/Persian so I now self-identify as Persian Gypsy

Nazarene
04-27-2019, 03:50 PM
That'd be nice because doing AncestryDNA was a load of poop for me. I got zero genetic communities lol.

But I learned I was 2% South Asian and 1% Iranian/Persian so I now self-identify as Persian Gypsy

Same nigga, got me fucked up frfr, u no how it be Hittite kingz 4 lyfe, MENA gang gang

Matxe92
04-27-2019, 04:00 PM
Is there some post or whatever from AncestryDNA you can link to? I'm stoked if it's true.

Celestia
04-27-2019, 04:02 PM

Ancestry DNA was crap for me too

Grace O'Malley
04-27-2019, 04:09 PM
I can't see my result changing with any update and I have all the relevant GCs.

Matxe92
04-27-2019, 04:12 PM
I can't see my result changing with any update and I have all the relevant GCs.

What's GCs?

Grace O'Malley
04-27-2019, 04:16 PM
Is there some post or whatever from AncestryDNA you can link to? I'm stoked if it's true.

This was the email I got.

http://i63.tinypic.com/jueq7s.jpg

Matxe92
04-27-2019, 04:22 PM
This was the email I got.

http://i63.tinypic.com/jueq7s.jpg

Haven't got it. That's weird. Perhaps they update the bigger countries before Denmark, that was the case last time atleast.
Anyway, cheers.

Grace O'Malley
04-27-2019, 04:23 PM
What's GCs?

Both my daughter (she got 3) and myself (I got 5 GCs) all from Ireland. She has a couple different than mine because her paternal ancestry was from a different part of Ireland.

This is her result. GCs are Genetic Communities and they are very accurate IMO.

http://i66.tinypic.com/16ie0dz.jpg

Matxe92
04-27-2019, 04:28 PM
Both my daughter (she got 3) and myself (I got 5 GCs) all from Ireland. She has a couple different than mine because her paternal ancestry was from a different part of Ireland.

http://i66.tinypic.com/16ie0dz.jpg

100% Ireland. Haha, strong. You wont have an identity crisis over that result that's for sure. Cool.

Grace O'Malley
04-27-2019, 04:32 PM
100% Ireland. Haha, strong. You wont have an identity crisis over that result that's for sure. Cool.

That's the daughter's. Mine is also 100%. These tests are very Irish shifted. Irish generally get 100% but I've seen Scandinavians, Northern French etc get a reasonable amount of Ireland & Scotland. I think the tests are very Irish/British centric. I do have all known ancestry from there though so it is accurate for me. :)

Matty74
04-27-2019, 04:36 PM
I didn’t get any genetic communities either but I guess that’s just the luck of the draw. I’m not really expecting any changes with this update. Anyone else buy tests for their parents? Would it be worthwhile?

Edit: nvm I guess I do have a genetic community after comparing Ms O’Malley’s post with my results

https://i.imgur.com/qCi41qo.jpg

Matxe92
04-27-2019, 04:37 PM
That's the daughter's. Mine is also 100%. These tests are very Irish shifted. Irish generally get 100% but I've seen Scandinavians, Northern French etc get a reasonable amount of Ireland & Scotland. I think the tests are very Irish/British centric. I do have all known ancestry from there though so it is accurate for me. :)

I agree. I know a couple of danes aswell that got Irish/scottish in their test also.
I was not too happy with the new update to be honest, it's as bad as the last version. My eastern european components are strongly underestimated here i feel, i does link me very precisely with Pomerania, which is totally correct. That was impressive.
But other than, i get tired from seeing all this English/wales stuff in my results. I hope the result gets better with next update.

https://i.imgur.com/Y28wxGJ.jpg

farke1
04-27-2019, 04:44 PM

Mine were incredibly accurate too. I have a genetic community in Ireland that is literally 50km from one side to the other, and it happened to be where my paternal grandmother was born. I have no clue how they get their Irish results to be so precise.

Grace O'Malley
04-27-2019, 04:45 PM
I agree. I know a couple of danes aswell that got Irish/scottish in their test also.
I was not too happy with the new update to be honest, it's as bad as the last version. My eastern european components are strongly underestimated here i feel, i does link me very precisely with Pomerania, which is totally correct. That was impressive.
But other than, i get tired from seeing all this English/wales stuff in my results. I hope the result gets better with next update.

England & Wales is another one. :) Silly that they have given you an American GC when it should be the other way around. Ancestry has an overwhelmingly American tester database so it is very geared to the US. I do think with more European testers it will get better and the GCs will improve as well. MyHeritage has a lot of European testers but a rubbish algorithm. I wish they would do an update on that one. I notice you have a Pomeranian GC which is obviously from your Polish ancestry. That's pretty cool.

Matty74
04-27-2019, 04:46 PM

Pommern/Pomerania was a Swedish fief for a long time

Grace O'Malley
04-27-2019, 04:50 PM
Mine were incredibly accurate too. I have a genetic community in Ireland that is literally 50km from one side to the other, and it happened to be where my paternal grandmother was born. I have no clue how they get their Irish results to be so precise.

Their Irish GCs are amazing and for such a small country they have about 29 (approx). I don't think any other country that size gets anything like that. All the UK don't get as many. They must have a lot of Irish-American testers with pretty good records but I'd say they have a good amount of actual Irish testers as well. I know they do testing in Ireland and have a few Irish quite prominent in their organisation.

Grace O'Malley
04-27-2019, 04:52 PM

Excuse my ignorance. So that's obviously your Scandinavian side then. :) It's an Eastern European GC though?

Matxe92
04-27-2019, 04:54 PM
England & Wales is another one. :) Silly that they have given you an American GC when it should be the other way around. Ancestry has an overwhelmingly American tester database so it is very geared to the US. I do think with more European testers it will get better and the GCs will improve as well. MyHeritage has a lot of European testers but a rubbish algorithm. I wish they would do an update on that one. I notice you have a Pomeranian GC which is obviously from your Polish ancestry. That's pretty cool.

Well i do have strong documented matches with americans. I don't know where they live, but it very well could be in that region. So it might not be that silly. I carry the same genes that my matches do, and some of those genes have been linked to this migration.
Yes, it's really amazing they are able to pin point into such a small region. Pomeranian region is not very big at all, and it matches perfectly with where my ancestors were from.

Wish they'd do some danish communities aswell. Would be awesome.

Matxe92
04-27-2019, 04:56 PM
Excuse my ignorance. So that's obviously your Scandinavian side then. :) It's an Eastern European GC though?

No it's my polish. Im not swedish :D I have documented my papertrail on all sides back to minimum 1800's. Im danish and polish.

Matty74
04-27-2019, 04:57 PM

I was referring to Maxte92’s post but I’m assuming it really depends on the individual and how far East or what area of Pommern it’s in. My paternal lineage includes northeastern Germany myself, but I have no Slavic ancestry apparently

Matxe92
04-27-2019, 04:57 PM

It's not swedish ancestry. Pommerania was swedish VERY shortly, from military conquest. My family from there are polish. If you look aswell, pomerania is under "Czech republic, poland, lithuania"
Nothing to with sweden.

Matty74
04-27-2019, 04:59 PM
No it's my polish. Im not swedish :D I have documented my papertrail on all sides back to minimum 1800's. Im danish and polish.

There are a lot of Kashubians in Milwaukee and Chicago. Milwaukee also was a ground zero for many immigrants coming from the Prussian empire

Matty74
04-27-2019, 05:01 PM
It's not swedish ancestry. Pommerania was swedish VERY shortly, from military conquest. My family from there are polish. If you look aswell, pomerania is under "Czech republic, poland, lithuania"
Nothing to with sweden.

I see that. I was just adding some historical context. I think the Swedish influence was more or less in western Pomerania and Mecklenburg. In places like Wismar or Stralsund.

Matxe92
04-27-2019, 05:03 PM
I see that. I was just adding some historical context. I think the Swedish influence was more or less in western Pomerania and Mecklenburg. In places like Wismar or Stralsund.

Are you suggesting that Swedes left a genetic legacy there?

Abdelnour
04-27-2019, 05:04 PM
I wish they added more regions, but probably not going to happen.

I just hope they develop more on the Levant group than giving us a chunk of Caucasus.

Grace O'Malley
04-27-2019, 05:05 PM
Well i do have strong documented matches with americans. I don't know where they live, but it very well could be in that region. So it might not be that silly. I carry the same genes that my matches do, and some of those genes have been linked to this migration.
Yes, it's really amazing they are able to pin point into such a small region. Pomeranian region is not very big at all, and it matches perfectly with where my ancestors were from.

Wish they'd do some danish communities aswell. Would be awesome.

Yes my American matches dwarf matches from anywhere else but I have recent ancestors that went to the US and quite a few of them as well. They have a reasonable amount of Norwegian and Swedish communities so I think they will get Danish GCs as well.

Matty74
04-27-2019, 05:06 PM
Are you suggesting that Swedes left a genetic legacy there?

With the Nobility perhaps but not so much with the general population. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some people with Swedish lineages anywhere on the Baltic coast to be honest with you. Especially in the Hansa towns

Grace O'Malley
04-27-2019, 05:07 PM
Nothing to with sweden.

That makes more sense. :thumb001:

Daco Celtic
04-27-2019, 05:11 PM
I haven't received this email but would welcome an update. The calculator is good for the British Isles but really needs to improve for Eastern Europe. For now, they lump groups as different as Romanians, Russians, and Poles into the vast "Eastern Europe - Russia" category. I would love to see more specific results in that part of Europe.

Grace O'Malley
04-27-2019, 05:11 PM
I just hope they develop more on the Levant group than giving us a chunk of Caucasus.

Yes that must be very frustrating. Lebanese get strange results on genetic tests because it is more Euro/American geared. DNA testing companies need a lot more samples from other parts of the world and they should look at increasing their Middle Eastern/West Asia database and regions.

waam
04-27-2019, 05:16 PM

Same! I actually sent them an inquiry regarding that a few months ago. Their Caucasus region is so broad it's ridiculous. Being a mixed Middle Easterner myself I find their current breakdown completely useless for me. Not being able to separate Arabian from Levantine, or Caucasian from Mesopotamian, or Caucasian from Levantine, etc...

Matty74
04-27-2019, 05:16 PM
Yes my American matches dwarf matches from anywhere else but I have recent ancestors that went to the US and quite a few of them as well. They have a reasonable amount of Norwegian and Swedish communities so I think they will get Danish GCs as well.

Can these DNA testing companies differentiate my south Jutland ancestry (Danish Haderslev) from my other Scandinavian or North German background? Great grandfather was northeastern German, great grandmother was Danish but the area (Slesvig) seems to be somewhat mixed unless the language differences are merely cultural and not genetic. Idk

Abdelnour
04-27-2019, 05:17 PM
Yes that must be very frustrating. Lebanese get strange results on genetic tests because it is more Euro/American geared. DNA testing companies need a lot more samples from other parts of the world and they should look at increasing their Middle Eastern/West Asia database and regions.

I agree.

I have extended family members that are mixed with Armenian, but it was recent and not widespread. That is the only reason I can see Lebanese and other levantine groups scoring 20+ Caucasus.

Grace O'Malley
04-27-2019, 05:22 PM
Can these DNA testing companies differentiate my south Jutland ancestry (Danish Haderslev) from my other Scandinavian or North German background? Great grandfather was northeastern German, great grandmother was Danish but the area (Slesvig) seems to be somewhat mixed unless the language differences are merely cultural and not genetic. Idk

I think with closely related populations and people with mixed ancestry it is never going to be completely accurate but I have a lot of hope because if they can give Irish people who are very similar accurate GCs then I can't see why they can't do this with other parts of Europe. A lot of places are under sampled. Europe is luckier than most with genetic testing. Some parts of the world it is pretty woeful.

Ayetooey
04-27-2019, 05:23 PM
Hopefully my dads results come in before this update hits so I can do a before/after comparison.

Nazarene
04-27-2019, 05:24 PM

At least you guys have a Syro-Lebanese genetic community lmao. We get like 50% + Caucasus, we really do need that Levantine region.

Matty74
04-27-2019, 05:24 PM
Yea, I’ve pretty much got the Baltic and North Seas covered

Abdelnour
04-27-2019, 05:26 PM
At least you guys have a Syro-Lebanese genetic community lmao. We get like 50% + Caucasus, we really do need that Levantine region.

That is a lot lol. I agree we need a Levantine region and also maybe an Assyrian region :)

Ford
04-27-2019, 06:19 PM
I don't think this is a new update, they're rolling out the version which was released back in September to everyone, or so I've heard.

Mr.G
04-27-2019, 06:27 PM
Up to this point, the available update has been voluntary. I expect all that is happening here is that all accounts will be default updated to the newest, current iteration. I am not expecting anything new.

Mr.G
04-27-2019, 06:31 PM
The upside is that we will be able to compare our results to all the people who had not previously updated their account- in my case many of my relatives.

PaleoEuropean
05-05-2019, 05:36 PM
via email

Finally, they seemed to really be all over the place the last two updates. Hopefully they improve the algorithm a bit.

Mr.G
05-05-2019, 05:43 PM
Finally, they seemed to really be all over the place the last two updates. Hopefully they improve the algorithm a bit.

I hope it's a tweak of the current algorithm. I am also on 23andMe V5 and that has been tweaked a few times already.