PDA

View Full Version : Can most MENAs pass in Latin America?

Borealis
04-27-2019, 02:59 AM
I feel like they can, in particular North Africans(from what Ive heard) but also Levantines, Turks, Mesopotamians, maybe some gulf Arabs and Iranians too.

I think they have a strong overlap for populations located so far apart with different ethnogenesis.

Nazarene
04-27-2019, 03:02 AM
Levantines and North Africans for sure, would cast doubt on the others. Maybe a few Turks. I don't think I could pass in Latin America.

IrisSelene
04-27-2019, 03:05 AM
Levantines and North Africans for sure, would cast doubt on the others. Maybe a few Turks. I don't think I could pass in Latin America.

If you can pass in Italy you can pass in Argentina.

Abdelnour
04-27-2019, 03:06 AM
I get mistaken for Latin American most of the time here in Florida, so sure.

FinalFlash
04-27-2019, 03:08 AM
MENA is a bullshit category. If you mean North Africans, yes they can give pseudo Latino vibes. If you meant the Levant for instance, I doubt most would be typical.

happycow
04-27-2019, 03:13 AM
Maybe. My dad could easily pass as Latin American imo. I was told I could pass as Mexican or castizo in South America. My mom however would not pass.

Oghuz
04-27-2019, 03:25 AM
MENA has many phenotypes which are different from each other and most would be atypical in Latin America.

Thambi
04-27-2019, 03:32 AM
yeah i think so, except for a decent amount of gulf arabs. Most MENAs can blend in the US as latinos or southern euros and there are people that look southern euro in latin america as well.

Swarthy_Syndicate
02-23-2021, 11:06 PM
No. Latin Americans aren't named Yousef or Jaleel.

Kriptc06
02-24-2021, 12:28 AM
Brazil already has a large MENA diaspora, many are well integrated and are christians and what not, so yeah, for Brazil I'd give this a yep

Celestia
02-24-2021, 12:36 AM
Their looks are usually distinguishable although similar.

Chaos One
02-24-2021, 01:03 AM
Their looks are usually distinguishable although similar.

More like this. I mean, because skin tone or dark hair or whatever.

But you can spot differences. I got "nice" nicknames all the time because MENA looking and that was only me, not everyone.

Celestia
02-24-2021, 01:05 AM

But you can spot differences. I got "nice" nicknames all the time because MENA looking and that was only me, not everyone.

Yeah, I think the eyes and nose area usually what differentiates the two. Although I’ve said before to you that I would guess you as Puerto Rican if I hadn’t known your ancestry.

Luso
02-24-2021, 01:06 AM

Mate, I think I look more MENA than you.

Chaos One
02-24-2021, 01:10 AM
Yeah, I think the eyes and nose area usually differentiates the two. Although I’ve said before to you that I would guess you as Puerto Rican if I hadn’t known your ancestry.

Which makes some sense maybe because Amerindian. But I don't look Iberian or mixed Iberian, either.

Mate, I think I look more MENA than you.

I agree, but many people here see a big goatee or whatever and spot "Arab".

I don't look MENA in fact, except if you do consider some Central Asian groups as MENA looking (well, some Uzbeks and Turkmens are very MENA looking anyway).

Luso
02-24-2021, 01:12 AM
Which makes some sense maybe because Amerindian. But I don't look Iberian or mixed Iberian, either.

I agree, but many people here see a big goatee or whatever and spot "Arab".

I don't look MENA in fact, except if you do consider some Central Asian groups as MENA looking (well, some Uzbeks and Turkmens are very MENA looking anyway).

Yeah, not sure where exactly in the MENA I would place myself, but probably somewhere Levantine on the med.

Also yeah, I mean beard helps in that stereotype department... but even without my features could confuse people.

Chaos One
02-24-2021, 01:14 AM
Yeah, not sure where exactly in the MENA I would place myself, but probably somewhere Levantine on the med.

Coastal Berber or Levantine, nothing beyond this.

chinshen
02-24-2021, 02:31 AM
I live in Southern Cal, never been mistaken for Latin American.