PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones episode 3

MagnusDark
04-29-2019, 03:34 PM
What in the fuck was that?!?!?!?! Arya?!?!?! fucking Arya??!??!?! Such a cliche cop out.

Aspirin
04-29-2019, 07:25 PM
Press F to Pay Respects.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9e/62/26/9e62268f2446c28f9fd22945b34fdde2.jpg

Ford
04-29-2019, 07:28 PM
This was the only good part of the episode

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/tv/2019/04/29/Why-Didnt-Night-King-Burn-From-Dragon-Fire_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqtR1WRZ4lb6BOb1-FBRpn-lFGGjcI28awSNtOPAVs6pc.jpg?imwidth=450

Aspirin
04-29-2019, 07:30 PM
What in the fuck was that?!?!?!?! Arya?!?!?! fucking Arya??!??!?! Such a cliche cop out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc7Oe7e08pU

Zeus
04-29-2019, 07:43 PM
Game of Thrones is my favorite show of all time, but this episode was unacceptable. The amount of plot armor and the most cliche ending ever. I watched Game of thrones for the deaths of main characters, unique plot, mystery, and intrigue. What the Fuck was this? the ending was just fucking atrocious. The ending felt more like Lord of the Rings than Game of thrones. The great menace(death itself-personification of evil) was beaten in one episode by a little girl..... after all that build up too. This also makes the rest of the show stupid because how the fuck is Cersei a threat after you just obliterated the army of the dead? which had like a million men....This episode was so bad that I literally cried myself to sleep

Aspirin
04-29-2019, 07:44 PM

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/tv/2019/04/29/Why-Didnt-Night-King-Burn-From-Dragon-Fire_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqtR1WRZ4lb6BOb1-FBRpn-lFGGjcI28awSNtOPAVs6pc.jpg?imwidth=450

Kinda disappointed how Subzero was killed.

Zeus
04-29-2019, 07:48 PM
Also, why the fuck didn't more main characters die????? ATLEAST Sansa, Brienne, Davos, Podrick, Grey worm, and missandei should be fucking dead no questions asked. I understand we need Jaime and Tyrion alive to make dialogue with Cersei and we need Sandor to kill Gregor, and obviously Jon need to rule the kingdom and Dany has to die in childbirth or something, but the ones I mentioned have no reason to live... what the fuck were the showriters thinking not killing these ones off? FUCK OFF BENIOFF and WEISS!!!

Bosniensis
04-29-2019, 07:53 PM
Only CGI died in 3rd episode.

Catarinense1998
04-29-2019, 07:55 PM
What an overrated serie.

Ford
04-29-2019, 08:07 PM
Kinda disappointed how Subzero was killed.

A decade long buildup for the most anticlimactic ending to the greatest threat Westeros has ever faced lmao.

Finnish Swede
04-29-2019, 08:29 PM
Just watched it ... pretty bloody.

Rgvgjhvv
04-29-2019, 08:30 PM
Whoever is complaining is a little twat

The Lawspeaker
04-29-2019, 08:34 PM
Spoiler ? You twat ! I still had to watch it. Damn.... Arya. :( My favourite character.

Celestia
04-29-2019, 08:35 PM
Whoever is complaining is a little twat

Agreed!
There’s 3 episodes left, I’m sure plenty of main characters will die

Finnish Swede
04-29-2019, 08:39 PM
Spoiler ? You twat ! I still had to watch it. Damn.... Arya. :( My favourite character.

Aryan? Girl Power!

Rgvgjhvv
04-29-2019, 08:40 PM
Agreed!

GOT fans are mentalists. Early on in the series people were so upset that main characters were being killed off. But now people want half the cast gone? Figure it out people...

Ylla
04-29-2019, 08:40 PM
Disappointing episode.

All that build up for the ww and nk since se1e1...
Its ruined the storyline for me. If youve read the books youll be disappointed too.

The Lawspeaker
04-29-2019, 08:41 PM
Aryan? Girl Power!

Because the actress is freaking hilarious. You should look her up: Maisie Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFf-gmxYQ3k

Aspirin
04-29-2019, 08:49 PM
Dothraki horsemen it seems to used the old French cavalry tactics from 100 Years War. Bad idea.

Ylla
04-29-2019, 08:50 PM
A decade long buildup for the most anticlimactic ending to the greatest threat Westeros has ever faced lmao.
Exactly! noone gaf about cersei. I dont know how to feel about it.

Graham
04-29-2019, 08:52 PM
Fucking amazing, loved it. Everything about it and can't wait to see next week.

Harkonnen
04-29-2019, 08:53 PM
I thought it was pretty nonsensical that they chose to decimate most of their army by choosing to meet the blue eyed devils in open battle before retreating back to that castle whatever it name was. Of course as plot device it makes perfect sense though.

Ford
04-29-2019, 08:57 PM

All that buildup around the mythology and prophecies around the white walkers, Azor Ahai etc, and literally nothing happens. When the credits started to roll I could only think "is that it?". None of the main characters even did anything. Jon and Dany just flew around and Bran played crow simulator for the entire episode. The show just feels lukewarm now and has killed much of the interest.

Nassbean
04-29-2019, 09:28 PM
Very disappointed by this end I mean I was expecting a lot from this night king and his army but he's already dead and The rest of the season is so predictable now

Faklon
04-30-2019, 03:05 AM
Global warming got to the white autists by the looks of it and the third-eyed raven was a paleolithic VR game. Brienne and Jamie survive a hundred fists, Cersei probably moves to Bravoos with her golden jocks to cure her pain.

In the Littlefinger theory we trust.

GreentheViper
04-30-2019, 03:22 AM
Dothraki riding in and having their lights go out as they died, was an orgasmic shot

And NK is coming back, I’m calling it

Oghuz
04-30-2019, 03:30 AM
8 years hype and Arya with her plot booster killed the Night king.

This show post season 5 turned into a feminist circus. All the men got killed, crippled, castrated, disabled while teenager girls with attitude are now the protagonists.

Imperator Biff
04-30-2019, 07:49 AM
The writing for this show has been like a tumblr fanfic since season 5, right around the time they went past the books.
HBO are just making it up as they go along now, the show runners have proven themselves to be nothing but hacks.
Sad, because it was an excellent show for the first few seasons, now they don’t even have the balls to kill off main characters anymore, still three episodes to go, however my expectations are pretty low.

Marmara
04-30-2019, 08:11 AM
I didn't watch the last episode, but..

Night King is dead? Just it? I mean why do we hear about the White Walker threat since the first season if they were going to be defeated in one episode with no success at all?

Previous season was shit but i didn't expect the final season to get even worse.

Marmara
04-30-2019, 08:19 AM
So i get the idea from the thread that Cercei helped the North.

How nonsensical, it would have been more realistic and more fun if both Cercei and Dany didn't pay attention to White Walkers initially. Dany would siege King's Landing and North would be left alone to hopelessly defend itself against WWs, ultimately fail, and only then whoever keeps the King's Landing would face against a proven enemy.

Haider
04-30-2019, 08:32 AM
Cause since season 7 the show is not based on the books (George RR Martin hasn't finished the last books) anymore, season 6 was the last good one.

Vasconcelos
04-30-2019, 08:38 AM
Also, why the fuck didn't more main characters die????? ATLEAST Sansa, Brienne, Davos, Podrick, Grey worm, and missandei should be fucking dead no questions asked. I understand we need Jaime and Tyrion alive to make dialogue with Cersei and we need Sandor to kill Gregor, and obviously Jon need to rule the kingdom and Dany has to die in childbirth or something, but the ones I mentioned have no reason to live... what the fuck were the showriters thinking not killing these ones off? FUCK OFF BENIOFF and WEISS!!!

This is my main issue with the episode, there were a few instances were some characters should not have survived. I'm especially looking at you Jaime, Brienne, Pod, Sam and Greyworm.
Sansa, Tyrion, Varys and Missandei just hid form dead Starks, it looked kind of silly but I supposed they didn't have to deal with so many dead, so I'm relatively okay with them making it.
Davos went missing from most of the episode. Sandor survived rightfully, and I'm glad for it because I love the character and Rory Mccann.

As for Arya killing the Night King, I liked the move she used (we'd seen it before on Brienne when they were sparring), and I'm perfectly okay with it being her after all the training with the Faceless Men, but...where did she come from anyway? She just materialised behind him. The Walkers are really op and somehow she managed to get close to them enough to jump on the NK undetected. That didn't make much sense. Also, what was Bran doing all the time, besides playing Flight Simulator with crows?

Oh, I'd also have preferred if there was no fan service, and Lyanna were simply crushed into mince by the giant. No hurrahs for her, just a crude and brutal death for shock.

That said, the cinematography, direction and acting was fantastic.

Edit: Angry Joe makes a few good points about the episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5VnIGxAPts

Haider
04-30-2019, 08:41 AM
Not to mention the dialogues are very crappy now, very Marvel-like.

Aspirin
04-30-2019, 09:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahMGtL113AM

The Lawspeaker
04-30-2019, 09:37 AM
Looks like I'll be better off not wasting my time. Thanks for the head's up, everybody !

itilvolga
04-30-2019, 09:39 AM
I have never seen a single episode of Game of Thrones.

Nazarene
04-30-2019, 09:45 AM
I've never watched it, but then again I don't watch many TV shows or movies in general.

Ice
04-30-2019, 09:52 AM

Honestly, it's your loss..

itilvolga
04-30-2019, 09:55 AM
Honestly, it's your loss..

I don’t think so. It’s your loss to think that a person loses something if she doesn’t prefer to watch a pop cultured tv serie.

Kivan
04-30-2019, 10:07 AM

You didn't lost anything. I watched some and i almost sleept in all of them. If you have insomnia GoT is a good therapy

Ylla
04-30-2019, 10:32 AM
All that buildup around the mythology and prophecies around the white walkers, Azor Ahai etc, and literally nothing happens. When the credits started to roll I could only think "is that it?". None of the main characters even did anything. Jon and Dany just flew around and Bran played crow simulator for the entire episode. The show just feels lukewarm now and has killed much of the interest.

I liked a few things about it I just didnt like the ending.

The flaming sword scene with the Dothraki was epic, ill give it to them. The death of Jorah Mormont protecting his Khaleesi was emotional, he was one of my fav characters. Im also glad that Theon redeemed himself in a heroic way before he died but the hype around the night king and all those theories fell flat.We didnt even find out what he wanted from Bran.Arya shouldnt have been the one to kill him but Jon, thats like Jon killing Cersei, it makes no sense for his character arc. That was disappointing. And she didnt even use her faceless techniques, just straight up stabbed him. Lol

Nurzat
04-30-2019, 12:11 PM

me neither, and I also get a bad impression of the people that are obsessed with it. sorry :coffee:

btw, we could not-watch-it together :flower

Marmara
04-30-2019, 04:31 PM
You didn't lost anything. I watched some and i almost sleept in all of them. If you have insomnia GoT is a good therapy

I remember watching the first episode of GoT, it was boring as hell because nothing made sense, lots of names were mentioned and i couldn't keep track who was who.

Anyway, i endured and got hooked after few episodes. I started watching during Season 3.

Rouxinol
04-30-2019, 04:43 PM
Arya was destined to kill the Night King. Anyway, all this almost decade-long build-up for the war only to get everything sorted out in one episode (where *miraculously* no major character died) is very weak and low-quality storytelling. The show runners managed to turn a good show into just another Disney-like blockbuster.

Vasconcelos
04-30-2019, 04:58 PM
Arya was destined to kill the Night King.

Yes, if you ignore the whole Azor Ahai and/or The Prince/Princess who was Promised prophecies - so basically the whole lore.

Rouxinol
04-30-2019, 05:12 PM
Yes, if you ignore the whole Azor Ahai and/or The Prince/Princess who was Promised prophecies - so basically the whole lore.

Indeed, but anyway, the Red Woman gave us a hint a long time ago about Arya being the killer of the Night King. And what if she's Azor Ahai or the Prince(ss) who was Promised? That would be a cool twist. But I guess the show runners will just keep on ruining the whole show until the last second and Jon and Daenerys will live happily ever after.

Vasconcelos
04-30-2019, 05:16 PM
Indeed, but anyway, the Red Woman gave us a hint a long time ago about Arya being the killer of the Night King. And what if she's Azor Ahai or the Prince(ss) who was Promised? That would be a cool twist. But I guess the show runners will just keep on ruining the whole show until the last second and Jon and Daenerys will live happily ever after.

She did? The whole "eyes" quote is basically an excuse for that, but I won't swallow because of how vague it is. Besides, when she first said it, the order was different - "blue eyes" wasn't the last, like she did now. It's amost a retcon because of poor writing. For me it's a bad excuse, they basically chose Arya for fan service, not because it made sense.

But you know what, that's almost the least of my worries in this episode.

Vo˛d
04-30-2019, 05:18 PM
Show is ruined because of normies.

MagnusDark
04-30-2019, 05:26 PM

George RR Martin said he used Indo Aryan, Balto-Slavic and Celtic mythos for crafting much of the myths in the world. The message the NK send is the Sunwheel/Swastika/Kolovrat literally made me recall the myth of the Light God's constant eternal struggle with the nature God. THey have a world tree(Godwood basically), guarded by a Wolf(basically like a stark).

It immediately made me think of the potential for using Bran as actually being manipulated and used by the great other(WW God, similar to The Slavic deity Veles. They basically pissed all over that immense potential and turned him into a basic one off villain with no depth. There was so much potential for a deep story. And while it is about the throne, they should have at least given NK another episode, and at least visions from Bran for deeper learning.

Even the book is hinting Bran is being manipulated by the Wight Walker God, and says crows are all liars(from old nan), a line also used in the show. Maybe they have an ace up their sleeve, but they shot down so much potential. The first men arrive roughly 12000 years ago. The oldest Sun wheel symbol was found in Ukraine dated 12000 years ago. Martin says he likes real world parallels. This symbol is also littered throughout the series as having a big meaning. Unless they explain it through Bran in a vision, it went no where. They are also getting scared with killing characters.

Jaime, Brienne, Podrick all should have died, including some in the crypts. Wasted opportunities. I would have rather the dagger not work and NK snap aryas neck to really kick it up. Killing Bran, burning the weirwood and heading to Kings Landing where the survivors at winterfell gather for final conflict. Considering they made him up for the show, I thought it would go the Lich King route which they copied, where they learn a Lich King is needed to keep balance. It would be a cool dark twist if he needed to be replaced. with Jon making the self sacrifice.

I know semantics, but so many missed opportunities.

MagnusDark
04-30-2019, 05:37 PM
Agreed!

Besides the point. 8-10 year buildup to literally kill him off so cliche that it almost doesn't feel like the same show. They even said on inside the episode they had arya do it for shock value because Jon was expected? No shit you set the story up that way. Morons. The WW symbolized nature. Their damn symbol, the spiral, is the damn sun wheel. You see where this is going? NK didn't exist in the book sure, but if you're going to make someone like the Lich King, do it right or not at all. All the buildup from episode 1 that they were the biggest threat, and this ice pop was smart enough to know jon was en route to the God wood , using his dragon to hold him back, but couldn't see a 14 year old girl coming? Don't defend poor writing. Still the best show on TV, but you would be lying to say it hasn't declined in quality since they have no more books to go off. The ending to the show will be the same, how they got there so far is pretty bad.

Euron is way deeper in the books. Hes a necromancer. Who the fuck is this half baked dick joked moron that sounds drunk half the time?

If you go cliche, do it safe. Have Jon tussle in a duel and almost die, with Sam(first to kill a WW) or Jaime(kingslayer) do the deed from behind saving Jon. Even in the book Jaime has visions of protecting Jon and of the Crypts. Theres so much of the book supporting many theories that they could hav picked one and rand with it and still be better than what they did. Brienne should be dead, her arc is done. Podrick should be dead, arc is done. Jaimie I can understand surviving to maybe deal with Cersei. Sansa's dire wolf was buried in the crypts. Why not use it to kill her? the symbolism would be wild. Killed by her dire wolf, the same as she fed Ramsey to his dogs. Why is it people who don't get paid for this stuff are way more nuanced than that trashy moment that brought down an otherwise great episode. While I watched it with lights off on a top tier tv, I can understand peoples anger about the darkness. Someone uploaded the dragon fight and made it brighter. It was amazing, but even I couldn't make it out that well with how dark they made it. They dropped the ball. I forgive the missed opportunities, but if you had to be cliche, do it with Jon for God sake.

MagnusDark
04-30-2019, 05:46 PM

If they had to be so cliche, at least have Jon duel him, almost die, and Jaime stab NK with dragonglass from behind. It would be poetic because he would be a king slayer but a hero this time. It also would have given weight to Jaime's dream in the books where he protects Jon. There were so many hints from the books and they dealt with it poorly. Sure, the NK is not the same as the human necromancer "the nights king" in the book. They could have used that as the base for his origin, like they combined Benjen with coldhands. They really dropped the ball. Still love the show, but no brain went behind the NK or WW that episode. The fact they stood around was dumb.

MagnusDark
04-30-2019, 05:54 PM

The only way it can be redeemed is if they do something with Bran, showing 3ER is somehow evil and its him pulling the strings. Through visions or something, because if brans true mission was to sit waiting under the tree, he didn't really need much training lol. In the book melisanndre asks the fire to show the God of the white walkers, the great other, she says she only sees a wolf tangled into the vines of a tree. Much like her vision when asking for the prince thats promised and seeing Jon Snow in the fire.

They basically set it up in the book that bran was a pawn of the great other. Unless that is still the plan somehow, they literally destroyed such a great plot point in the book, with or without the NK.

Zmey Gorynych
04-30-2019, 06:32 PM
A bit disappointing. All that winter is coming - enemy at the gates for 7 seasons and the NK is defeated after one battle and to top it off he's killed by a little girl. I mean the greatest warrior in that universe, having tremendous physical and mental abilities, is killed by a little girl. He never said a word, it is not clear what his purpose was. If it stays like this then the NK is just a cartoonish one dimensional character, a stupid villain who does evil for the sake of evil (something that Martin said he hates).

MagnusDark
04-30-2019, 06:45 PM
A bit disappointing. All that winter is coming - enemy at the gates for 7 seasons and the NK is defeated after one battle and to top it off he's killed by a little girl. I mean the greatest warrior in that universe, having tremendous physical and mental abilities, is killed by a little girl. He never said a word, it is not clear what his purpose was. If it stays like this then the NK is just a cartoonish one dimensional character, a stupid villain who does evil for the sake of evil (something that Martin said he hates).

The crazy thing is he is never set up as villainous, when we learn the children forced him against his will gagged and tied. It gave the idea THEY were the evil ones. Using melissandres vision in the books of the great other being linked with Bran/3ER as the true evil, and they could have used this as a motivation to explain the NK is hellbent on revenge for what was done to him. They could have kept it cliche and still given NK some layers. Evil for the sake of Evil is so not thrones. If there is one thing game of thrones is about, it is the good in evil, and the evil in good and all the gray area inbetween. NK was the opposite of all that. Now I am worried about these guys making their own star wars trilogy lol.

MagnusDark
04-30-2019, 07:11 PM
Well that makes sense. Extremely disappointing but makes sense. Apparently HBO is making a prequel series called "The Long Night" airing next year, which will explain "the true origin of the NK and WWs"". Great. So all the buildup and you decide to seriously hurt a major point of the series so you can explain it in a spinoff? I just can't lol.

Aspirin
05-01-2019, 10:37 PM
https://sun6-3.userapi.com/c849120/v849120936/16e655/IZ3N8cnTN5c.jpg

Tenma de Pegasus
05-01-2019, 10:46 PM
This episode was awesome

Best serie ever

Crimson Winds
05-02-2019, 01:19 AM
The episode was a devious disrespect to thousand years of martial achievements of humanity.

The Lawspeaker
05-02-2019, 08:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAUVN7OmIBU&t=314s

So it seems like the feminism and social justice is strong with this one. Is Game of Thrones pandering to SJW's in its final season, and what does that mean for the finale? Let's find out,

Westbrook
05-02-2019, 08:23 AM
It's a shame Ramsay Bolton wasn't still there to coordinate the army. He was a brilliant strategist and much smarter than any of the Starks.
I thought it was pretty nonsensical that they chose to decimate most of their army by choosing to meet the blue eyed devils in open battle before retreating back to that castle whatever it name was. Of course as plot device it makes perfect sense though.

GreentheViper
05-02-2019, 08:29 AM
It's a shame Ramsay Bolton wasn't still there to coordinate the army. He was a brilliant strategist and much smarter than any of the Starks.

Lmao good joke

Westbrook
05-02-2019, 08:43 AM
What's the joke? Maybe I'm just pining for the days when the show was clever and had good battle scenes.
Lmao good joke

GreentheViper
05-02-2019, 08:46 AM
What's the joke? Maybe I'm just pining for the days when the show was clever and had good battle scenes.

That Ramsay was a good strategist. Roose was a decent strategist, but Ramsay, in comparison to Ned or Robb and their vicitories in the battlefield, was shit.

Oghuz
05-03-2019, 01:41 AM
Euron for president

Bellbeaking
05-03-2019, 02:06 AM
The show has gone from LOTR + House of Cards (with more arcs) to LOTR + avengers. A bunch of different personalities all united by a common cause, good and evil (with one traitor - cercei) its all very cliche now, but it is extremely epic visually. If you are someone who dislikes political drama then you may actually enjoy the later seasons.

Its not as sophisticated, complex or as layered as it was, but damn that was incredibly fun and entertaining. As another posted said the Mormont girl should've just be smashed to death, it just seems they cannot kill characters randomly any more, they either never die or all need a very valiant death at a predictable time. It takes away from the vulnerability they once had and the viewer felt.

The ending was a little silly but shocking, which made it entertaining. I will defend their decision to some extent though, the army as a whole is basically un-killable it all revolves around killing knight king. Normal warfare won't do the trick. Brute strength, talented swordsmanship combined with conventional military strategism doesn't cut it in this war. Different tactics are needed. They need to distract and sneak up on the NK when hes vulnerable. Arya's training has been the best of the best for the specific task.

It seems that the all powerful NK was just stupid to have gotten killed by a little girl after all the hype about his powers. But even omnipotent Bran didn't know what was coming suggesting it was not a likely scenario and not something the NK could have predicted. Also demonstrates how skilled Arya truly is in this area.

I read the books *smirks pompously in high IQ(rick n morty tier)* so the show getting a little silly doesn't matter too much as There is still hope for a more satisfying ending there if Samwell Tarly I mean.. george martin... doesn't die. At this point the story has just been butchered, so whatever, just entertain me. Even if the plot is lacking, I love the characters and the battles and enjoy seeing them win and I am also enjoying the justice that has been and will be handed down onto the bad guys, even if it isn't great storytelling that I will look back on in admination long term, it feels good to watch :).

Oneeye
05-03-2019, 02:17 AM
Yeah. I havent watched for several seasons. I was jaded when they never paid homage to Lady Stonehart in the books.

I'll wait for The Winds of Winter for anymore Westeros action.

Zeus
05-03-2019, 02:33 AM
IMAGINE: melisandre dies while setting the fire at the trench, Davos leads the Dothraki autism charge with ghost and both die, podrick dies and brienne dies trying to defend him(insert scene of jaime mourning her death), Jorah dies defending Daenerys, grey worm dies defending missandei who also dies in the crypt, Sansa dies by suicide in the crypt, Theon dies defending bran, bran gets killed by night king, Jon and Arya kill the night king together avenging bran. I kept Daenerys alive to rule the kingdom, jaime and Tyrion to face down Cersei, Jon and Arya to kill night king, Sandor to kill Gregor, and samwell to write the game of thrones when its all over, gendry alive to marry Arya and rule house Baratheon, tormund(aka - "I fucked a bear") alive for humor's sake

The Lawspeaker
05-03-2019, 04:27 PM
More left-wing insanity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNXJhNgQQ7k

Let's have a good laugh here ! (https://www.wmagazine.com/story/game-of-thrones-battle-immigration-problem)

Morena
05-03-2019, 04:28 PM
Now that the show/book series is crashing and burning, I'm glad I didn't get into it.

The Lawspeaker
05-03-2019, 04:32 PM
Now that the show/book series is crashing and burning, I'm glad I didn't get into it.
Au contraire, the book series will always have a loyal following - it's the show that's crashing and burning.

Morena
05-03-2019, 04:49 PM
Au contraire, the book series will always have a loyal following - it's the show that's crashing and burning.

I gave my husband the whole set last year as a Father Day present. He said he couldn't read them because they were too explicit and violent.

The Lawspeaker
05-03-2019, 04:55 PM
I gave my husband the whole set last year as a Father Day present. He said he couldn't read them because they were too explicit and violent.

Meh. I've read worse. Your average history book describes a lot worse.
Anthony Beevor's The Second World War, Florian Huber's Kind, versprich mir, dass du dich erschießt, Nicholas Stargardt's The German War or Peter Hagendorf's Tagebuch eines Söldners aus dem Dreißigjährigen Krieg etc. describe a lot worse and that's actually real.

And often they don't even need to be explicit: Western European writers are very good at using mere numbers to describe the horrors of war or epidemics. Cold statistics. That's something they are very good at. Maybe it's a cultural difference - you see this in American films as well: American films are rather glowing and brimming with interpersonal drama and love triangles, Western European films just show the blunt truth of it all and are, often, much darker. The Americans like it sugar-coated, we take it as it is. No heroism and love triangles there. In films, Talvisota (1989, Finnish) and Stalingrad (1993, German) come to mind.

The Lawspeaker
05-03-2019, 05:10 PM
Let me use Stalingrad as an example - this kind of film would never have been made outside of Western Europe. The war was a turd and just show it as a turd - fuck.. rub our faces in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfk178n80CU

Das Boot (West German, 1981 - after the famous book from 1973) is another beautiful example of it. And it's not just war or history: social themes get the same make-over as well as such drug use and teenage prostitution in Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (after her famous book - the film dates back to 1980 - West German) which was shot in situ with actual junkies being the actual backdrop (here just a clip).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXTqIoZwVWg

Dandelion
05-03-2019, 05:22 PM
Wasn't interested in this episode. I prefer political intrigue scenes and the such.

Kamal900
05-03-2019, 05:49 PM
I thank Jesus that I didn't watch this show. I don't really understand the hype of it.

frankhammer
05-03-2019, 05:50 PM
I watched to where they retreated into the castle them skipped forward to the iceking dying scene. Nothing in between held my interest or will really impact upon the following three episodes.

Harkonnen
05-03-2019, 07:26 PM

The Bastard really is annoyingly stupid and incompetent dude (I know technically switched teams). The sisters are even worse.

Aspirin
05-05-2019, 11:05 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_k6wrjTFmk

MagnusDark
05-05-2019, 11:19 PM
Saw a video clip leak for episode 4. It is getting shocking for no other reason but. Really disappointing. Apparently if the rest of the rumors for how it all ends are true, it will basically just be the real world. In other words as Ramsey said, " if you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention". And so it will be. Ending dark doom and gloom, but not in a well written "this makes sense" sort of way, but just the opposite.

Ford
05-05-2019, 11:48 PM
Saw a video clip leak for episode 4. It is getting shocking for no other reason but. Really disappointing. Apparently if the rest of the rumors for how it all ends are true, it will basically just be the real world. In other words as Ramsey said, " if you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention". And so it will be. Ending dark doom and gloom, but not in a well written "this makes sense" sort of way, but just the opposite.

Would be funny if the Night King returned and destroyed them all xD

Ruggery
05-06-2019, 05:09 AM

It would be a bit cliche but at the same time shocking.

MagnusDark
05-06-2019, 12:52 PM

Honestly at this point it would be a better ending. They're turning Dany into a villain. You know, the one who sacrificed her army, her dragons, and those closest to her for what is right and for love. But they made her betray her character with how petty and begging she was to Jon. Jon also seems completely out of character. It looks like they're setting him up to betray her. If true, it matches with prior leaks of the script that everyone though false. it literally ends in a retarded way with loose ends. Apparently in one version, Jon kills her in a sneaky way after pledging himself, and he is sent to the Wall for being a kin slayer. Or what is left of it, and thats his end? getting right back where he started? They also hinted he would be going back north when he parted with Tormund. Apparently Bran/3ER becomes King of the seven kingdoms. The end. It's literally that huh? with no explanation or sense to it. One wonders if Martin intends something similar in the books. The last book was called "A Time for Wolves". They changed it to a "Dream of Spring". It seems the books are headed in the same direction. Albeit, probably better execution. I just don't get why the show has to end like the real world. Utter shit and despair.

MagnusDark
05-06-2019, 12:53 PM
It would be a bit cliche but at the same time shocking.

Cliche cheap fan fiction is what we are getting. So Cliche Night King wins ending would be way more appealing than everyone betraying everyone and even their own character arcs. No sense.

Finnish Swede
05-06-2019, 12:56 PM
Just few hours for episode 4. :thumb001:

Magnolia
05-06-2019, 12:58 PM
I hope Dragon Queen will not die...
But I have my worries about that!

Finnish Swede
05-06-2019, 01:02 PM

I have been worried about dragons, as I'm pretty sure that all of them will be death in the end. Already felt so since they born (end of season 1).

MagnusDark
05-06-2019, 01:03 PM

i hope she doesn't either. Judging by the leaks however, it seems to be heading there after last nights episode. Whats worse is it seems like it will end in complete despair, betrayal and pain.

MagnusDark
05-06-2019, 01:25 PM
I have been worried about dragons, as I'm pretty sure that all of them will be death in the end. Already so since they born (end of season 1).

Part of the script leaks before the show aired have proven true. Nearly all of the leak involving episode 4 was true. Which is sad because the ending leaked by the same source basically says nothing is explained and betrayal and despair rule the day.

Ruggery
05-06-2019, 02:10 PM
i hope she doesn't either. Judging by the leaks however, it seems to be heading there after last nights episode. Whats worse is it seems like it will end in complete despair, betrayal and pain.

Dany will end up like his father with madness and psychological trauma, it's a shame for the character for all the development that was given to him in the series.

MagnusDark
05-06-2019, 02:33 PM
Dany will end up like his father with madness and psychological trauma, it's a shame for the character for all the development that was given to him in the series.

The thing is, The Mad King was never mad. Not until he actually went mad, which the book seems to suggest a 3ER/Hodor like situation with someone(presumably Bran) warging into him. Also, Dany has been mostly Just for the series. She has a couple moments where she uses an iron fist, but by no stretch is she mad. She sacrificed everything for Jon and the North. This recent episode 4 completely made her betray her character by caring only for the throne and begging Jon like a child to keep his identity a secret. He also getting Drunk made no sense. Him killing Dany is going to happen. It will be so cheap and lackluster and make no sense. This is the endgame now peopleee lol.

Finnish Swede
05-06-2019, 09:07 PM
I have been worried about dragons, as I'm pretty:icon_cry: sure that all of them will be death in the end. Already felt so since they born (end of season 1).

Only one left and still two episodes to come. :icon_cry:

Borealis
05-07-2019, 06:02 PM
At this point Jon Snow might as well press rape charges against Dan and Dave for what they’ve done to him. He got fucked over like no one else besides maybe the night king. The entire series significance was weighing on how they handled the white walker arc and they ran it into the ground.

The whole season is a joke, as was the last before it. The script seems like a crack addict wrote it. Jon and Dany’s “romance” seems about as authentic as Kim Kardashian’s ass. The cleverest, most determined and strong willed characters have been turned into morons with PTSD.

It’s a shame, yet fanboys are still talking about “oh man but Dany”. Fuck that, Dany along with all the other characters died with the storyline FFS. The only thing we should be discussing are the fucking producers.

Borealis
05-07-2019, 06:08 PM

They killed off those poor dragons for shitty reasons when they should have killed off Sansa in the crypts. She is fucking useless and annoying

Dandelion
05-07-2019, 06:22 PM

Let's hope sexism won't make Daenerys fall from her throne. She's blonde and blonde people should reign supreme. At least the alternative is a Nord and a Targaryen (chance of blonde children).

MagnusDark
05-07-2019, 06:37 PM
They killed off those poor dragons for shitty reasons when they should have killed off Sansa in the crypts. She is fucking useless and annoying

They had so many missed opportunities. Sansa should have her undead direwolf lady(whose buried in the crypts) come out and rip her to shreds(akin to how she killed ramsey). You know, cause most characters have died the way they killed others. The motivations for characters betraying themselves and others makes no sense. While writing is a big part of it, even bigger is the dumb decision to squeeze the last 2 uncompleted books into 13 episodes, rather than 20 and really fleshing it out. Now we're going to get a poorly written shakespearean tragic ending.

Zeus
05-07-2019, 06:55 PM
D and D, aka Dumb and Dumber, royally fucked up episode 3, but given the circumstances, episode 4 was actually pretty good and now I kind of see why they kept a lot of characters alive that they should have killed. Dany is slowly losing her mind due to paranoia and her major flaws, pride and power-lust, so she was kept alive to become the mad queen, John was kept alive to kill Daenerys to save the realm from another crazy Targaryen, the dragons were kept alive to die by Euron and Cersei, missandei was kept alive to die by Cersei and grey worm was kept alive to weep for missandei, brienne was kept alive to have a love triangle with jaime and Cersei, jaime alive to help/kill Cersei, Arya to kill the night king,tyrion and Varys alive to discuss the politics surrounding the dany vs Jon thing, Sansa alive to plot against Dany and to spur Jon to the throne, but I still have no idea why they kept Davos, tormund, sam, Gilly or even Bran alive. My biggest complaint on the episode was lack of deaths, so I'm mildly okay with that now but it doesn't excuse how Dumb and Dumber fucked up Jon's arc with the night king for girl power or how they killed off the greatest threat to the realm in one fucking episode

Tertius
05-07-2019, 07:02 PM
This episode was such a mistake.
Who the hell sends light armored cavalry against white walkers, who know no retreat or morale? Cavalry should surprise and attack enemy from sides or behind, not commit a suicide.
Who the hell puts catapults in front of his army? They are supposed to be inside the castle and shoot at enemy while the battle rages on!
Who the hell creates line of wooden spikes behind the army? It is supposed to damage the enemy before combat.
Who the hell sets his whole army in front of the castle like they are children playing with toy soldiers?
Who the hell tells women and children to stay inside a crypt (because dead are not coming back between living, right?), when everyone is sure they are going to lose? Just send them away from the battlefield day before.
And the worst thing is that archers act like they don't exist! They are supposed to be on the walls of fortress, where the enemy fighting with infantry can not reach them and cause as much as damage as possible.

I am no military expert, but this goes beyond basic logic and reason. If they had a budget for paying all the famous actors, why can't they just spend few dollars on person, who understands how castles and medieval combat works?

Borealis
05-07-2019, 07:20 PM
They had so many missed opportunities. Sansa should have her undead direwolf lady(whose buried in the crypts) come out and rip her to shreds(akin to how she killed ramsey). You know, cause most characters have died the way they killed others. The motivations for characters betraying themselves and others makes no sense. While writing is a big part of it, even bigger is the dumb decision to squeeze the last 2 uncompleted books into 13 episodes, rather than 20 and really fleshing it out. Now we're going to get a poorly written shakespearean tragic ending.

This episode was such a mistake.
Who the hell sends light armored cavalry against white walkers, who know no retreat or morale? Cavalry should surprise and attack enemy from sides or behind, not commit a suicide.
Who the hell puts catapults in front of his army? They are supposed to be inside the castle and shoot at enemy while the battle rages on!
Who the hell creates line of wooden spikes behind the army? It is supposed to damage the enemy before combat.
Who the hell sets his whole army in front of the castle like they are children playing with toy soldiers?
Who the hell tells women and children to stay inside a crypt (because dead are not coming back between living, right?), when everyone is sure they are going to lose? Just send them away from the battlefield day before.
And the worst thing is that archers act like they don't exist! They are supposed to be on the walls of fortress, where the enemy fighting with infantry can not reach them and cause as much as damage as possible.

I am no military expert, but this goes beyond basic logic and reason. If they had a budget for paying all the famous actors, why can't they just spend few dollars on person, who understands how castles and medieval combat works?

The episode was just packed with mistakes, military and plot wise. For no reason should Arya have been the one to slay the Night King. But the deeper glaring flaw is something that some have pointed out and others have missed, which is killing Night King in one episode and making the series end with Cersei...

You can't fucking do that, not after you've set up the white walkers as the greatest threat to Westeros for 8 seasons. The best way to have ended episode 3 was to have the protagonists LOSE that battle.

How they can do it: They all fight as best as they could(not using the shitty tactics that were used) but the NK overwhelms them anyway, its a bloodbath but many of the main characters escape somehow. As they try to come to terms with their loss and think of where to go from here the NK advances deep into the south, at this point all of Westeros is beginning to realize how dire the threat is and they finally start mobilizing. At this point all the prophecy and lore and Bran's visions can come into play, and finally the Night King is stopped towards the end of the season(maybe right before or during the finale).

The Cersei thing could become a sideshow. You can have her refuse to cooperate with the living against the dead and then someone(probably Jaime) ends up killing her, taking her out of the game. This is a better way to end the show than what they went with imo.

Finnish Swede
05-07-2019, 09:28 PM
The whole season is a joke, as was the last before it. The script seems like a crack addict wrote it. Jon and Dany’s “romance” seems about as authentic as Kim Kardashian’s ass. The cleverest, most determined and strong willed characters have been turned into morons with PTSD.

Was the last season and this last one ''joke''(and scrip worse than earlier) just because Martin has not yet written/finished his last books? TV team has been forced to step the lead.

Ford
05-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Was the last season and this last one ''joke''(and scrip worse than earlier) just because Martin has not yet written/finished his last books? TV team has been forced to step the lead.

Actually yes, seasons 6-8 have been a large step down in quality and it has been very noticeable that they went without GRRM's material on those seasons. Game of Thrones reached its peak in season 4, in my opinion. But while seasons 6 and 7 were not as good, they were still alright. Season 8 however feels like a completely different show to me with many writing mistakes.

Colonel Frank Grimes
05-07-2019, 09:36 PM
I thought the episode was just fine. Few people are ever happy with how a show is ending. I can only think of Breaking Bad as the only show where no one complained about the final episodes.

What did people expect? What would have been a better ending to the Night King's death? A predictable duel with Jon Snow? I like something different than what is expected.

farke1
05-07-2019, 09:41 PM
Actually yes, seasons 6-8 have been a large step down in quality and it has been very noticeable that they went without GRRM's material on those seasons. Game of Thrones reached its peak in season 4, in my opinion. But while seasons 6 and 7 were not as good, they were still alright. Season 8 however feels like a completely different show to me with many writing mistakes.

Completely agreed with this. If I remember correctly, Season 5 also did not completely follow the books either. Some of the characters' plotlines in Season 5 had already been written by GRRM and others finished at the end of Season 4. In my opinion, there's been a noticeable decline in the quality of writing ever since.

Borealis
05-07-2019, 10:46 PM
I thought the episode was just fine. Few people are ever happy with how a show is ending. I can only think of Breaking Bad as the only show where no one complained about the final episodes.

What did people expect? What would have been a better ending to the Night King's death? A predictable duel with Jon Snow? I like something different than what is expected.

if you want reasons for why so many people disliked it there are videos that explain it perfectly. But if you don’t watch those, it all comes down to lack of resolution.

It’s clear Jon was supposed to be the one, it may be predictable but it’s inevitable. He was brought back from the dead for a reason. He was saved by Benjen for a reason. He spent every season after Hardhome sperging about the Night King. He even killed a WW at Hardhome.

Arya had nothing to do with this story arc whatsoever. Just that act alone ruins all previous episodes because these WWs who were made out to be a massive threat are reduced to this joke when most of Westeros hasn’t even felt their power yet(not even past winterfell) and then a little girl kills them all with one stab in the right place.

Borealis
05-07-2019, 10:53 PM
Yes that and the directors having no respect for their own work(or the author’s) and wanting to please Prozac addicted feminists on twitter with yet another pointless girlpower moment. They needed to turn Arya into a super Saiyan for the “Yas queen slayyy” reaction.

Season 7 was cancer with that Beyond the wall episode and people teleporting everywhere.

Annie999
05-07-2019, 10:53 PM
Get over it, it was great. Arya is the best !

Damićo de Góis
05-07-2019, 10:59 PM
The drop in quality was very clear on season 7. 6 was still okay in my opinion.
But in season 7 i had the clear impression that they were rushing the story, so on season 8 my expectations were not that high to begin with.

I'm still curious about how it will end, but it could have been something much better.

Colonel Frank Grimes
05-07-2019, 11:12 PM
if you want reasons for why so many people disliked it there are videos that explain it perfectly. But if you don’t watch those, it all comes down to lack of resolution.

It’s clear Jon was supposed to be the one, it may be predictable but it’s inevitable. He was brought back from the dead for a reason. He was saved by Benjen for a reason. He spent every season after Hardhome sperging about the Night King. He even killed a WW at Hardhome.

Arya had nothing to do with this story arc whatsoever. Just that act alone ruins all previous episodes because these WWs who were made out to be a massive threat are reduced to this joke when most of Westeros hasn’t even felt their power yet(not even past winterfell) and then a little girl kills them all with one stab in the right place.

We know not what the God of Light truly wants until it comes to be.

You make a good argument but I point out Jon Snow's role can be seen as mainly uniting different groups against the Night King and his army. Without Jon Snow you wouldn't have all these groups coming together. So that would be why he was needed.

In an episode far back in the show (I forget how far back) it was hinted that Arya would be the one to kill the Night King when the Red Lady told her she'd shut many eyes ('green, brown, and blue'). This was again mentioned in episode 3 to remind us all of the Red Lady's prophesy. So the seed was planted seasons ago (she did emphasize the word blue).

Borealis
05-07-2019, 11:49 PM
We know not what the God of Light truly wants until it comes to be.

You make a good argument but I point out Jon Snow's role can be seen as mainly uniting different groups against the Night King and his army. Without Jon Snow you wouldn't have all these groups coming together. So that would be why he was needed.

In an episode far back in the show (I forget how far back) it was hinted that Arya would be the one to kill the Night King when the Red Lady told her she'd shut many eyes ('green, brown, and blue'). This was again mentioned in episode 3 to remind us all of the Red Lady's prophesy. So the seed was planted seasons ago (she did emphasize the word blue).

If it was supposed to be Arya from the beginning I have no problem with it but it's obviously not. GRRM would have dropped a ton of hints in the books and we would see that. That quote from Mel was really vague and she didnt emphasize blue eyes, she actually said blue eyes in the middle. It was a desperate attempt to shoehorn significance into it. You could find a random quote from any point justifying any character to kill the NK.

But the bigger point is that GoT has never been about random shit happening or people randomly dying, no its all about consequence. If someone dies then its because they played the game wrong and they were in a position where death was inevitable. In reality if we go by the OG GoT rules then everyone in Winterfell should have been dead, the people in the crypt especially should have been dead as fuck and the NK should be in Riverrun by now or something. All those stupid mistakes and not even being able to bring together all the world armies and you expect to live, just Lol.

MagnusDark
05-08-2019, 12:48 AM
If it was supposed to be Arya from the beginning I have no problem with it but it's obviously not. GRRM would have dropped a ton of hints in the books and we would see that. That quote from Mel was really vague and she didnt emphasize blue eyes, she actually said blue eyes in the middle. It was a desperate attempt to shoehorn significance into it. You could find a random quote from any point justifying any character to kill the NK.

But the bigger point is that GoT has never been about random shit happening or people randomly dying, no its all about consequence. If someone dies then its because they played the game wrong and they were in a position where death was inevitable. In reality if we go by the OG GoT rules then everyone in Winterfell should have been dead, the people in the crypt especially should have been dead as fuck and the NK should be in Riverrun by now or something. All those stupid mistakes and not even being able to bring together all the world armies and you expect to live, just Lol.

Yup! Also the showrunners said in an interview they chose Arya merely because it wasn't expected. Meaning they did it for shock value. Shock value absent any supportive writing. They even said they decided the make it arya AFTER season 6. Meaning those "seeds" were not meant for that initially. While there is no NK in the book, they went for bad cliche. Not even good cliche.

MagnusDark
05-08-2019, 12:55 AM

Contrary to popular belief they went off the books after season 5 not season 4. The books left off much the same as the conclusion of season 5 when Jon is killed. Difference being they can all warg in the books(not just Bran), so its suggested Jon is currently warged into Ghost. So they did go by the books for most of season 5. Season 6 onward, there were no books, so instead, George pretty much compiled an outline of general points he wanted them to include up until the finale. The problem is, without detail and dialogue in the books, the writing and pacing went out the window. Largely the fault of condensing the remaining two books into 13 episodes.

Also, the last book is considered a sort of epilogue(which these final episodes are supposed to represent). The difference is that GRRM will have better writing, nuance, and buildup within the novels making sense of certain motivations, that the show runners are doing a poor job of, and so the execution is not the same.

Borealis
05-08-2019, 04:49 AM
Yup! Also the showrunners said in an interview they chose Arya merely because it wasn't expected. Meaning they did it for shock value. Shock value absent any supportive writing. They even said they decided the make it arya AFTER season 6. Meaning those "seeds" were not meant for that initially. While there is no NK in the book, they went for bad cliche. Not even good cliche.

Yeah, these guys have taken the "subversive" or "unexpected" nature of GoT and warped it into something it never was. GRRM's writing was subversive because undermined the traditional fantasy narrative by giving us reality. Ned Stark, rather than being saved as he would be in another fantasy series, was killed as he might be in a real life scenerio-because sometimes being a good, honest guy will get you killed.

What D&D are doing-it doesn't subscribe either to reality or a traditional fantasy storyline. You have characters surviving situations where they should have totally died(battle of winterfell) and then characters being killed out of nowhere for no realistic reason(Rhaegal). Its a chaotic mess with shock just for shock's sake.

MagnusDark
05-08-2019, 01:03 PM
Yeah, these guys have taken the "subversive" or "unexpected" nature of GoT and warped it into something it never was. GRRM's writing was subversive because undermined the traditional fantasy narrative by giving us reality. Ned Stark, rather than being saved as he would be in another fantasy series, was killed as he might be in a real life scenerio-because sometimes being a good, honest guy will get you killed.

What D&D are doing-it doesn't subscribe either to reality or a traditional fantasy storyline. You have characters surviving situations where they should have totally died(battle of winterfell) and then characters being killed out of nowhere for no realistic reason(Rhaegal). Its a chaotic mess with shock just for shock's sake.

Agreed. Also, all the mythos surrounding the WW, Rhollor, the old Gods were basically inspired by Indo-Aryan/Balto-Slavic myths of the endless cycle between the God of Light and God of Darkness. God of light being personified by fire(Rhollor) and the God of darkness actually representing nature with a great tree and a guardian wolf(sound familiar?). The Solar Wheel is a representation of that ancient struggle between both deities, and the symbol was constantly shoved in our faces since the very first episode and they explained and went into none of the above that they set up.

Ford
05-08-2019, 08:23 PM
https://i.imgur.com/19wdiHx.jpg

Ford
05-08-2019, 08:26 PM
Agreed. Also, all the mythos surrounding the WW, Rhollor, the old Gods were basically inspired by Indo-Aryan/Balto-Slavic myths of the endless cycle between the God of Light and God of Darkness. God of light being personified by fire(Rhollor) and the God of darkness actually representing nature with a great tree and a guardian wolf(sound familiar?). The Solar Wheel is a representation of that ancient struggle between both deities, and the symbol was constantly shoved in our faces since the very first episode and they explained and went into none of the above that they set up.

Yeah, the most annoying part isn't even the bad writing, it's the complete disregard of the mythos (which kinda goes hand in hand but I think you know what I mean). Let's just hope Georgieboy sits down and finishes the damn books so we hopefully can have a satisfying ending.

Skjaldemjųden
05-08-2019, 08:42 PM
GOT has suffered from bad writing and poor pacing ever since it ran out of books to follow.

MagnusDark
05-08-2019, 11:23 PM
Yeah, the most annoying part isn't even the bad writing, it's the complete disregard of the mythos (which kinda goes hand in hand but I think you know what I mean). Let's just hope Georgieboy sits down and finishes the damn books so we hopefully can have a satisfying ending.

Agreed. I just found out that one of the David’s was the “mind” behind Deadpool in wolverine origins, including his laser eyes stitched up mouth and Baraka appearance. Goes to show that he has 0 respect for source material.

Faklon
05-09-2019, 12:03 AM
The night king dies like that and what it follows is an 1 hour party with no character development and no explanation about his background. Tyrion survived the shipwreck like that...Two episodes left to save it.

Colonel Frank Grimes
05-09-2019, 12:41 AM
The night king dies like that and what it follows is an 1 hour party with no character development and no explanation about his background. Tyrion survived the shipwreck like that...Two episodes left to save it.

The Night King was created by the Children of the Forest as a weapon against man (they showed the scene of his creation). Man had been winning the conflict between the two and so they created the Night King out of desperation. The weapon backfired. It wanted to destroy everything in the world not just man. So man and the Children of the Forest became allies. That he's called the Night King reveals he's destruction incaranate in that most life can't survive without sunlight. He wants to cover the world in blackness. He wants to destroy everything about the world and Bran is a living memory of that world (a gate keeper to the past). That's as much of a background that is needed.

Colonel Frank Grimes
05-09-2019, 12:47 AM
I think people over react to TV shows. Few people are ever happy. I take it for what it's worth unless the contadictions are too outrageous.

Faklon
05-09-2019, 12:55 AM
The Night King was created by the Children of the Forest as a weapon against man (they showed the scene of his creation). Man had been winning the conflict between the two and so they created the Night King out of desperation. The weapon backfired. It wanted to destroy everything in the world not just man. So man and the Children of the Forest became allies. That he's called the Night King reveals he's destruction incaranate in that most life can't survive without sunlight. He wants to cover the world in blackness.He wants to destroy everything about the world and Bran is a living memory of that world (a gate keeper to the past). That's as much of a background that is needed.

Why should he expose himself particularly for Bran(if he's just a gate keeper) and not command a wight or another walker to do it? Say that the light survives through Bran, it should have been specified in the series.

Ruggery
05-09-2019, 03:17 AM
Does anyone besides me believe that the defense strategy at the Battle of Winterfell was a little badly planned?

Borealis
05-09-2019, 05:01 AM
This is all anyone’s been talking about man

Does anyone besides me believe that the defense strategy at the Battle of Winterfell was a little badly planned?

Colonel Frank Grimes
05-10-2019, 05:52 AM
Why should he expose himself particularly for Bran(if he's just a gate keeper) and not command a wight or another walker to do it? Say that the light survives through Bran, it should have been specified in the series.

Not the light but the memories of the world. As the One Eye Raven he holds the memories of the world.

His personal animosity towards Bran could be a motivation to do it himself. He was gunning for Bran since he first knew of his powers (Night King left him with a scar).

It would have made sense for the Night King to not expose himself but he'd win if that was the case and the writers had to find a way to get him killed.

I think people would have liked it better if Jon was able to get to the Night King before he was able to raise the dead and have a duel. That's what I thought was going to happened but then realized he wasn't going to reach NK in time and so I was surprised.

MagnusDark
05-10-2019, 04:56 PM
A supposed leak(which complement some comments from the producers) basically says it will have a Sopranos style cut to black with no real resolution or explanation. Basically the cycle restarts, the wall is reforged, Jon exiles himself to the North after Bran rebuilds the wall, show will apparently cut to black after Jon sees the WW symbol with fresh bodies of wildlings. Ugh

Aspirin
05-13-2019, 08:42 AM
Dubrovnik RIP

Oghuz
05-13-2019, 09:33 AM
10 years of years of character building and directors destroyed that all to incorporate feminism and liberal values.

Ylla
05-13-2019, 09:36 AM
Episode 3 really put me off �� I havent watched the remaining episodes.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
05-13-2019, 12:04 PM
What an absolute waste GoT turned into. Last night episode was worst of them all, utterly foolish and predictable. Show is ruined.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
05-13-2019, 12:06 PM
A supposed leak(which complement some comments from the producers) basically says it will have a Sopranos style cut to black with no real resolution or explanation. Basically the cycle restarts, the wall is reforged, Jon exiles himself to the North after Bran rebuilds the wall, show will apparently cut to black after Jon sees the WW symbol with fresh bodies of wildlings. Ugh

That would be good ending tbh.

Borealis
05-13-2019, 04:43 PM

Don’t forget to mention that Bran is going to be king with Bronn in his royal council.

Shoot me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford
05-13-2019, 04:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA7UQOYskas

FountainOfSalmacis
05-13-2019, 04:53 PM
Huge dissapointment, specially since I’ve been watching the series since season 1. Stopped watching when season 7 finished, but you could see this shit coming since season 5.

frankhammer
05-13-2019, 05:33 PM
Tbh, the (bottle)blonde bird on the dragon going full-on genocidal is what the series needed, even if this is the end of the show. I enjoyed at least one episode, even if it was a little drawn out.

Oghuz
05-13-2019, 05:39 PM
In early seasons, strong rough looking men were the menacing warriors. Now shows most dangerous fighter is arya, a dwarf teenager girl with attitude going around killing kings and queens. It will be hilarious if she ends up killing Daenarys as well.

One of the shows most fascinating thing to me is the dothraki war cry. lol

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
05-13-2019, 05:42 PM
Hopefully Jon goes into exile beyond the Wall, where he belongs, and reunites with Ghost.

MagnusDark
05-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Hopefully Jon goes into exile beyond the Wall, where he belongs, and reunites with Ghost.

Sadly thats the ending we apparently will get according to the leak.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
05-13-2019, 05:58 PM
Sadly thats the ending we apparently will get according to the leak.

why sadly ? Jon on Iron Throne would suck, he never wanted to rule anyway. He felt most alive with wildings in real north.

Ford
05-13-2019, 06:21 PM

I think that would be the most logical ending from the start, or that he either dies or becomes the king of the north. At the end of the day the biggest issue is the buildup of the white walkers and all characters yet only giving a rushed and lackluster return. Just take the last episode as an example; the entire thing could've been cut down in time substantially, yet the entire episode was basically people being slaughtered for an hour with some crammed in plot points. Even if GRRM's books lead to the same ending it would at least be more satisfying since he's able to put so much more character and plot development in two massive bricks, each probably exceeding 1000 pages.

Finnish Swede
05-13-2019, 08:19 PM
Just watched episode V ... happy that one dragon is still alive.

Borealis
05-13-2019, 08:28 PM
Just watched episode V ... happy that one dragon is still alive.

Me too. I wish they all lived.

Borealis
05-13-2019, 08:30 PM
At the very least we got some good memes out of this season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8umYkOHg-U&t=46s

Favorite is the Bran and theon scene.

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
05-14-2019, 10:30 AM
For me , war of 5 Kings was best part of story reaching it's peak at Red Wedding, and everything want downhill from that point. After third book Martin falls off the cliff, series later, but this last season is definite degradation.

I tought battle of Winterfell was badly done but it looks like masterpiece compared to mindless sacking of Dubrovnik/King's Landing tbh

MagnusDark
05-17-2019, 06:14 PM
For me , war of 5 Kings was best part of story reaching it's peak at Red Wedding, and everything want downhill from that point. After third book Martin falls off the cliff, series later, but this last season is definite degradation.

I tought battle of Winterfell was badly done but it looks like masterpiece compared to mindless sacking of Dubrovnik/King's Landing tbh

They didn't even do kings landing right. All under greenscreen looks like a completely different city now lmao.

Bellbeaking
05-17-2019, 10:01 PM
Im gonna be honest, I don't like the show anymore. I know it is fashionable to hate on GoT nowadays and I don't wanna jump on that bandwagon but being honest, I just think it has gotten stupid. I feel as though characters are acting to bring the show to a quick end rather than provide a good story. It still looks awesome and is enjoyable to watch, I still like the characters and feel quite entertained by it, but I can't help but feel disappointed that such a great show has not lived up to earlier seasons. I am sure it will get re-made one day though which is a consolation, Maybe in 50-150 years time or so - CGI may be cheaper and more advanced then allowing it to be easier to do.

Episode 5 comments from ya boi bellbeakington smyth the 3rd:

MAD QUEEN MAD QUEEN SHES THE MAD QUEEN. Is she also the stupid queen? What incentive did she have to just burn the city she has to rule over? Does she feel this will make people favor her over John - even if through fear? Because I can't see that being the case. If she wanted people to fear here she could have the enemy soldiers rounded up and had them killed after, that would've been a more measured approach that would still have been insane but perhaps a believable way of her sending a message that she should be feared, combined with a growing amount of insanity. Or maybe she could just kill the Generals or maybe just Cercei even. Are there no economic costs to rebuilding her city? Ok. maybe she is just crazy like the mad king, who was deluded and thought he would rise out the flames as a dragon, but that should happen gradually, did she become schizophrenic over night?

If they wanted her to just 'snap' at least give her a reason to do so, maybe have the bells ring in surrender. Then have cercei and Qyburn take advantage with a sneaky catapult thing and kill the second dragon (instead of killing it in an earlier episode). Then after the dragon is killed have the enemy soldiers pick back up their weapons and start attacking Jon's forces after seeing the Dragon is dead and have the civilians cheering that the dragon is dead. Maybe also have Grey worm here in Dany's field of vision. The culmination of all this would perhaps make her 'snap' into anger more reasonable and believable, but would still demonstrate to John et al that she isn't fit to rule - so wouldn't effect the story too much.

farke1
05-20-2019, 02:33 AM
I think this is accurate after watching that final episode:

https://i.imgur.com/bdpn8gb.jpg

MagnusDark
05-20-2019, 02:43 AM
Lol the Finale was so bad. There was one strong moment that gave me hope they would turn it around and they still went shit. While I didn't like Jons conclusion, the way they wrote him its what he wanted so I guess hes happy considering the smurk. Brans ominous bit about wanting the Throne and "looking for Drogon", only to go no where with that. It got less bitter by the end but still shit writing.

Oghuz
05-20-2019, 02:45 AM
the writing reflected current western worlds problems

Self destructive stupidity
No hope for future
Feminism

arkas
05-20-2019, 02:48 AM
https://youtu.be/m6PxRwgjzZw
The Game of Thrones ending ^

Bad writing won the iron throne RIP

Borealis
05-20-2019, 03:04 AM
Oh fucking god, what in the hell did I just watch. Is there a single person who understood what just happened?

Ruggery
05-20-2019, 05:19 AM
Bran guessing his future in the style of Doctor. Strange.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ObviousDangerousIcelandgull-size_restricted.gif

MagnusDark
05-20-2019, 11:19 AM
Alright but why did Bran look like a wheelchair bound Cersei in that blue outfit and hair. Lol.

Harkonnen
05-21-2019, 05:03 PM
I may be in the minority here but I sort of liked the ending. A bleak ending is somehow fitting to the general tone of a Game of Thrones.
In any case, ending must be the hardest part to write in a story. Especially in a story as popular as GoT. Writers certainly had hard hill to climb to meet the expectations of the audience.

MiloshN
05-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Is there anyone who is not watched any episode and seasons of G.O.T like me? :D

Harkonnen
05-21-2019, 05:33 PM
the writing reflected current western worlds problems

Self destructive stupidity
No hope for future
Feminism

The fact that, in the end, Bran (and not a woman) sat at the non-existing Iron Throne, was bit surprising though. Then again maybe Bran had evolved at this point into genderless thing which makes he/she a fitting ruler in our modern world.