PDA

View Full Version : Greatest footballer of all time?

R4ge
06-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Who was the greatest football of all time? In my opinion Maradona had the most pure skills, but Cruyff had better vision, intelligence, passing ability and he was also much classier overall in terms of his attitude. Other than that, Zidane was the best player I ever saw (live) in my lifetime. Cruyff is the best overall for me.

Lars
06-20-2011, 01:42 AM
I picked Johan Cruyff as well. Just an incredible player. Maradona and Laudrup on the following places.

GeistFaust
06-20-2011, 03:13 AM
Beckenbauer or Cyuff both were masters of the game. I think Beckenbauer was a very intelligent observer of the game. While Cyuff was an artist with the ball played brilliantly with almost like he was doing art work with the ball out on the field.

Svipdag
06-20-2011, 03:19 AM
Pele

"NON SVM QVALIS ERAM" Q. Horatius Flaccus

Debaser11
06-20-2011, 03:19 AM
A lot of people are torn between the negro from Brazil and the mestizo cokehead from Argentina.

Rainraven
06-20-2011, 03:20 AM
The first football game I ever watched was the 2006 World Cup final, I'm sure Zidane had something to do with me then starting to play myself ;)

Riki
06-20-2011, 03:23 AM
Luis Figo

Lars
06-20-2011, 04:05 AM
Luis Figo

The thread is about who you think is the greatest football player of all time. Not the guy with the greasiest hair.

antonio
06-20-2011, 09:43 AM
I voted for Di Stefano because:

1) Cruyff was more genial but more disolute and irregular and with less identification for its colours.

2) Skilled Negroes lack the tactical intelligence that Don Alfredo mastered for decades. Even today, national teams like Cameroon or Nigeria are marred by a lack of collective intelligence very evident at their midfield game.

3) Maradona is not a true sportman but mainly a cocaine addict.

perikolez
06-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Between players I have seen playing , the highest football level was got by Ronaldo when he was in Barcelona, after being dopated in PSV:D. But in my opinion the best player is clearly the actual Lionel Messi.He is only 24, and he still have time to win something with Argentina. Maradona was great in Mexico 86, but he only was succesful in Naples, and failed in Barcelona or Sevilla, and Pele only played in Brasil, and even Garricha was better than him.
Di Estefano was great in Madrid , but was a mercenary playing with spanish natonal team , and failed with Spain.

antonio
06-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Between players I have seen playing , the highest football level was got by Ronaldo when he was in Barcelona, after being dopated in PSV:D. But in my opinion the best player is clearly the actual Lionel Messi.He is only 24, and he still have time to win something with Argentina. Maradona was great in Mexico 86, but he only was succesful in Naples, and failed in Barcelona or Sevilla, and Pele only played in Brasil, and even Garricha was better than him.
Di Estefano was great in Madrid , but was a mercenary playing with spanish natonal team , and failed with Spain.

Ronaldo (indeed clearly doped), as Garrincha, well, specially Garrincha (a non-serious footballer at all) were one trick ponies. Messi is for me discarded from the very start as a blatant case of long-term dopage. So, Ive still vote for Don Alfredo, or Don Luis Suárez, mi paisano.

Laubach
06-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Look, I'm not a fan of Pele,but Garrincha was no better than him. Pele was Triple world champion , and is the main player in the cup 58 and 70. And interclub champion, by Santos, beating Benfica of Eusébio, for 5 x 2 in full Estádio da luz.

Ronaldo put on that list is a freak!. A player created by the media, full of marketing around it. The Nike forced their lineup.

The best player I've seen was maradona !. Then came Zidane / Romario / M. Laudrup and Van Basten. Messi has everything to reach the same level.

I saw videos of all these players and it is difficult to choose one. But Pelé, Di Stefano, Maradona, Cruyff and I would add Puskas, are in the hall of the greaters

Riki
06-20-2011, 01:22 PM
The thread is about who you think is the greatest football player of all time. Not the guy with the greasiest hair.

Luis Figo
Honours
Club
Sporting CP

Taça de Portugal: 1
Barcelona

La Liga: 2
1997-98, 1998-99

Copa del Rey: 2
1997, 1998

Supercopa de España: 1

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1

UEFA Super Cup: 1
Real Madrid

La Liga: 2
2000-01, 2002-03

Supercopa de España: 2
2001, 2003

UEFA Champions League: 1

UEFA Super Cup: 1

Intercontinental Cup: 1
Internazionale

Serie A: 4
2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09

Coppa Italia: 1

Supercoppa Italiana: 3
2005, 2006, 2008
National team
Portugal

FIFA U-20 World Cup: 1

UEFA European Under-17 Football Championship: 1
Individual

Figo's Ballon d'Or

Ballon d'Or: 1

FIFA World Player of the Year: 1

World Soccer Player of the Year: 1

FIFA 100: 1

FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 1

UEFA Euro All-Star Team: 2
2000, 2004

UEFA Team of the Year: 1

La Liga Foreign Player of the Year: 3
1999, 2000, 2001

Portuguese Footballer of the Year: 6
1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000

Portuguese Golden Ball: 1

Perhaps you wouldn't mind some of he`s grease.

R4ge
06-20-2011, 01:24 PM
How was Ronaldo (Brazilian) simply hyped up by the media? Can you name one striker in the last 30 years better than him? He had unreal goal-scoring ratios for Inter, Barcelona and Madrid. He's also the highest world cup goal-scoring player in history.

Cruyff, Zidane, Maradona, and a few others were all obviously better in terms of football genius, but he is at least in the top 15 players of all time, and likely much lower (8-12).

Laubach
06-20-2011, 01:44 PM
How was Ronaldo (Brazilian) simply hyped up by the media? Can you name one striker in the last 30 years better than him? He had unreal goal-scoring ratios for Inter, Barcelona and Madrid. He's also the highest world cup goal-scoring player in history.

Cruyff, Zidane, Maradona, and a few others were all obviously better in terms of football genius, but he is at least in the top 15 players of all time, and likely much lower (8-12).

Yes, I can cite a number! Romario, Van Basten, Stoichkov, Messi, want more?

Are you American? I´m Brazilian. Football is the firt sport here and i watch since i was a child

What he won with the Inter and Barcelona? Barcelona has its zenith and he was not Spanish champions. Real Madrid also did not highlight that team the great player of that team was Zidane.

He saw the greatest shame that a player makes in the final of the cup 98, which simulated a concussion. He has a lifetime countertactics with Nike that forced him to his squad

He abused steroids, used cocaine, consumes too much alcohol and smokes cigarettes. Is fat and not because he retired, already has this physical form is sloppy about 5 years.

He made the most goals in the Wordl Cup? ok, but look how many games he played and how many cups? Gerd Müller scored 14 goals in two cups and Just Fontaine scored 13 goals in a cup. Ronaldo took part in 4

Laubach
06-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Top 8-12 and 15?

Pelé, garrincha, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Di Stefano, Puskas, Rivellino, Tostão, Gérson, Eusébio, Didi, Bob Charlton, Platini, Zidane, Francescoli, Kocsis, George Best, Ademir da guia, Zizinho, Uwe Seeler, WANT MORE? all better than Ronaldo

antonio
06-20-2011, 06:11 PM
A understated but insightful signal of Ronaldo's lack of skills (running need skills too) was his bizarre unelegant way of sprinting as if he was a fuckin elephant to the point his football based mainly (with a relevant amount of technical quality Im not to deny) which finally caused him strange and serious injuries at knees tendons.

Tel Errant
06-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Eric Cantona, the best attitude.

R4ge
06-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Yes, I can cite a number! Romario, Van Basten, Stoichkov, Messi, want more?

Are you American? I´m Brazilian. Football is the firt sport here and i watch since i was a child

What he won with the Inter and Barcelona? Barcelona has its zenith and he was not Spanish champions. Real Madrid also did not highlight that team the great player of that team was Zidane.

He saw the greatest shame that a player makes in the final of the cup 98, which simulated a concussion. He has a lifetime countertactics with Nike that forced him to his squad

As I'm sure you already know, Messi isn't a striker, he's a winger/attacking mid. I wanted only to compare him with other strikers. Maybe Messi will be a greater player than Ronaldo over his full career, we need to wait and see. Anything can happen. I agree that Zidane was obviously a superior and more influential player (even in different positions) than Ronaldo, but comparing him to such players shouldn't take away from his individual achievements.

3 Times Bravo Awards (1995, 1997, 1998)
1 Time Dutch League Top Scorer
2 Times Spanish La Liga Top Scorer
1996 Silver Ball European Footballer of The Year
1997 European Golden Boot
1997 Spanish La Liga Foreign Player of The Year
1997 Copa America Most Valuable Player
2 Times EFE Trophy (1997, 2003)
1998 UEFA Club Best Forward
1998 UEFA Club Most Valuable Player
1998 Italian Series A Foreign Footballer of The Year
1998 Italian Series A Footballer of The Year
1998 FIFA World Cup Golden Ball
1998 Silver Ball European Footballer of The Year
1998 Silver Ball FIFA World Player of The Year
1998 Bronze Ball World Soccer Player of The Year
2 Times FIFA World Cup All Star Team (1998, 2002)
1999 Copa America Top Scorer
2002 FIFA World Cup Silver Ball
2002 FIFA World Cup Golden Shoe
2002 FIFA Team of The Year
2002 BBC Sport Oversea Personality of The Year
2003 Bronze Ball FIFA World Player of The Year
2 Times Onze d’Or (1997, 2002)
2 Times European Footballer of The Year (1997, 2002)
3 Times World Soccer Player of The Year (1996, 1997, 2002)
3 Times FIFA World Player of The Year (1996, 1997, 2002)
France Football All-Time World XI
Brazil Football Museum Hall of Fame
FIFA World Cup All-Time Top Scorer

He abused steroids, used cocaine, consumes too much alcohol and smokes cigarettes. Is fat and not because he retired, already has this physical form is sloppy about 5 years.

True, but also Maradona did the same thing. Ronaldo was a fat slob later on but in his prime he was a beast. One thing which stopped him from becoming maybe the best striker of all time was his quick decline. When he was fit and young, he had the capability of being the best striker in the world and he showed it.

He made the most goals in the Wordl Cup? ok, but look how many games he played and how many cups? Gerd Müller scored 14 goals in two cups and Just Fontaine scored 13 goals in a cup. Ronaldo took part in 4

I only asked if you knew of a striker better than Ronaldo in the past 30 years. Muller ended his professional career with Bayern more than 30 years ago. I would say Muller is slightly better than Ronaldo even, he should have been added in the poll as well but for some reason didn't pop into my head.

antonio
06-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Zidane was a way more ellegant player than Messi. But one thing is clear, the capacity of Messi (is for this he plays at advanced midfield at not as forward) to destroy (in seconds and more than one time per match) a strong positioned defense I had not seen equal in my whole life. From that point of view, he's the best player ever.

Comte Arnau
06-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Geez, some people just love criticizing people for the sake of it, as if they could provide anything better. I don't think Ronaldo is the best in that list at all, specially because he lacked continuity, for many reasons. But his year in Barcelona was simply sublime, and I think he'll always be aware it was the best year in his career with regard to the 'genius' spark. He might have played better later in Inter as a team member, but he'd never have that top speed again.

Only for what he did in Barcelona, though, he perfectly deserves a place among the best 20 ever indeed.

9iXOMPo7cEI

Querubín
06-20-2011, 07:17 PM
MARADONA. The 2º was Magico Gonzalez

Ronaldo was wanderful. He was a beast with ginga. He is the best strike in history. And he was better than zidane who was really really good player.
s-0HuqrGC-E&feature
efhiqGs_Jbg
r0dENQn6hCU&feature

Romario was diferent. He was Brazil 1982. He was magic
HVNG8zi5Cuw

And i loved patrick kluivert, probably the most complete striker in history. he is my fauvorite striker.
N1A4t9sKBDc
3DVcwkzg9oY
vhsv5FgN_vU

Comte Arnau
06-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Romario was better, for my taste, at least in goal beauty. That movement, the "cow's tail", was splendid and so unexpected. I haven't seen yet any other player do so many vaselinas (lobs) with such a touch of art. Whether he really made 1,000 goals or not, that's irrelevant. Quality is much better than quantity.

2wIC36KT97E

antonio
06-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Geez, some people just love criticizing people for the sake of it, as if they could provide anything better.

Are you accusing us of not being impartial enough? :D

I second ash86 motion about Magico González. When I was younger than today and more football fan I barely recall nothing on match-hours sport radio other than Magico's praises by local comentators: I had impressed. But, nowadays, those performances are at the hand of every youtube user. And what about his easy-going lousy character, completely refractary to soulless training, nothing in common with Massia's manufactures with thousand of hours of hard work and brainwashing in order to being the best...but never Magical: pure virginal talent. What preprofesional sports should had been at the early XX. :cool:

Comte Arnau
06-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Are you accusing us of not being impartial enough? :D

I second ash86 motion about Magico González. When I was younger than today and more football fan I barely recall nothing on match-hours sport radio other than Magico's praises by local comentators: I had impressed. But, nowadays, those performances are at the hand of every youtube user. And what about his easy-going lousy character, completely refractary to soulless training, nothing in common with Massia's manufactures with thousand of hours of hard work and brainwashing in order to being the best...but never Magical: pure virginal talent. What preprofesional sports should had been at the early XX. :cool:

Very underrated internationally indeed. Sometimes it looks as though, if you're not from a specific nationality, you have to be twice as good to be regarded as one of the greatest. El Mágico was skilled as fuck, no matter what he did off the pitch.

antonio
06-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Very underrated internationally indeed. Sometimes it looks as though, if you're not from a specific nationality, you have to be twice as good to be regarded as one of the greatest. El Mágico was skilled as fuck, no matter what he did off the pitch.

Besides the fact I could recall no other Salvadorian player. There's even another circunstance against Magico really unfair: he played one WC, where, needless to say, he could have showed something of this genious by performing at least one of those best "jugadas" they're showed forever at FIFA's WC official videos. But, on the contrary, he passed unadvertedly as one more of the team who suffered the worst defeat ever on WC (10-0 against Hungary?). Moreover Id remember El Salvador was maybe the only team on 1982 WC I could not see a single match. I was probably a football freak at that merry time. Now I used to fall asleep at first half ten minutes.:confused:

perikolez
06-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Look, I'm not a fan of Pele,but Garrincha was no better than him. Pele was Triple world champion , and is the main player in the cup 58 and 70. And interclub champion, by Santos, beating Benfica of Eusébio, for 5 x 2 in full Estádio da luz.

Ronaldo put on that list is a freak!. A player created by the media, full of marketing around it. The Nike forced their lineup.

The best player I've seen was maradona !. Then came Zidane / Romario / M. Laudrup and Van Basten. Messi has everything to reach the same level.

I saw videos of all these players and it is difficult to choose one. But Pelé, Di Stefano, Maradona, Cruyff and I would add Puskas, are in the hall of the greaters

In Chile 1962 Pele only played one match. He got injured in the first match , and Brazil won that championship thanks to Garrincha and maybe the referees(specially in the match against Spain). Then Pele really won two world championship. Ronaldo has a ratio goal by match incredible during years. I dont think that he is best, but in my opinion Ronaldo arrived to highest playing level that I have never seen when he played in Barcelona. Only Messi can equalize Ronaldo highest level. Curiosly Messi and Ronaldo have been doped for years.

Maradona had an high level in Mexico 86(maybe the highest in the history) , but apart from Mexico 86,and some good seasons with Naples between 1986-1990, he hasnt been so successful. In Italy 90, he played badly apart from the goal against Brazil, and he didnt succes in Barcelona or Sevilla. Even in Argentina, he played mainly for Argentinos Juniors that was a modest club.

Davy Jones's Locker
06-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Is it possible to compare say Peter Schmeichel (best goalkeeper I've seen) with Paolo Maldini (best defender I've seen) or (best attacking player I've seen) Zinedine Zidane:confused:

antonio
06-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Football (and sports in general) are mainly about attack, there's where resides the essence of the game, that is what people see them and even pay to see them. You cannot pretend to be the best in the world avoiding goals or tackling contraries. Besides that, Maldini was a top player.

Simonsson
06-20-2011, 10:28 PM
I voted for Keizer Franz, but Cruyff, Pele and Maradona would be on par for me because they're all different players.

Laubach
06-20-2011, 10:30 PM
As I'm sure you already know, Messi isn't a striker, he's a winger/attacking mid. I wanted only to compare him with other strikers. Maybe Messi will be a greater player than Ronaldo over his full career, we need to wait and see. Anything can happen. I agree that Zidane was obviously a superior and more influential player (even in different positions) than Ronaldo, but comparing him to such players shouldn't take away from his individual achievements.

3 Times Bravo Awards (1995, 1997, 1998)
1 Time Dutch League Top Scorer
2 Times Spanish La Liga Top Scorer
1996 Silver Ball European Footballer of The Year
1997 European Golden Boot
1997 Spanish La Liga Foreign Player of The Year
1997 Copa America Most Valuable Player
2 Times EFE Trophy (1997, 2003)
1998 UEFA Club Best Forward
1998 UEFA Club Most Valuable Player
1998 Italian Series A Foreign Footballer of The Year
1998 Italian Series A Footballer of The Year
1998 FIFA World Cup Golden Ball
1998 Silver Ball European Footballer of The Year
1998 Silver Ball FIFA World Player of The Year
1998 Bronze Ball World Soccer Player of The Year
2 Times FIFA World Cup All Star Team (1998, 2002)
1999 Copa America Top Scorer
2002 FIFA World Cup Silver Ball
2002 FIFA World Cup Golden Shoe
2002 FIFA Team of The Year
2002 BBC Sport Oversea Personality of The Year
2003 Bronze Ball FIFA World Player of The Year
2 Times Onze d’Or (1997, 2002)
2 Times European Footballer of The Year (1997, 2002)
3 Times World Soccer Player of The Year (1996, 1997, 2002)
3 Times FIFA World Player of The Year (1996, 1997, 2002)
France Football All-Time World XI
Brazil Football Museum Hall of Fame
FIFA World Cup All-Time Top Scorer

True, but also Maradona did the same thing. Ronaldo was a fat slob later on but in his prime he was a beast. One thing which stopped him from becoming maybe the best striker of all time was his quick decline. When he was fit and young, he had the capability of being the best striker in the world and he showed it.

I only asked if you knew of a striker better than Ronaldo in the past 30 years. Muller ended his professional career with Bayern more than 30 years ago. I would say Muller is slightly better than Ronaldo even, he should have been added in the poll as well but for some reason didn't pop into my head.

Depends on the Argentine national team he has played as a striker. I think Messi is better than Ronaldo. What makes this kid, I've never seen Ronaldo do. For you to be honest, for whta i saw, and looks that were thousands, only Maradona did the same. If I get before my birth, I found other players, but his question was the last 30 years.

Yes, Ronaldo has won many individual awards, but you know that only players playing in Europe compete these awards. That same season, Romario, which for me was better than Ronaldo, worked in Brazil. Van Basten had retired. Edmundo, another Brazilian player had broken, was national champion that year, beating the record of goals in the championship, but he played in Brazil and could not compete for these awards.

Believe me. I have seen many videos of past players and Ronaldo would never be the greatest striker of all time. Ronaldo was their main weapons stripped away, the explosion physics and its speed. He was never a player remembered for magical moves, like Messi, for example. It was not as good finisher, although he made a lot of goals, but always played on great teams and tired of seeing him lose absurd goals. Here in Brazil, he was never unanimous.

I answered your question and I mentioned that I thought the players better than Ronaldo

Laubach
06-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Geez, some people just love criticizing people for the sake of it, as if they could provide anything better. I don't think Ronaldo is the best in that list at all, specially because he lacked continuity, for many reasons. But his year in Barcelona was simply sublime, and I think he'll always be aware it was the best year in his career with regard to the 'genius' spark. He might have played better later in Inter as a team member, but he'd never have that top speed again.

Only for what he did in Barcelona, though, he perfectly deserves a place among the best 20 ever indeed.

9iXOMPo7cEI

Arnau, you're insinuating that I like to criticize for criticizing? Look, I mentioned 20 players, it's just you search videos and were elected by FIFA, which were better than Ronaldo and also forgot to mention many others such as Zico, Falcao, Roberto Baggio, Junior, Nilton Santos, Carlos Alberto Torres, Pepe, Canhoteiro, Paul César Caju, Stojkovic, Savicevic, etc. .. In an election of the 100 largest in the history it certainly is, but 20? With all due respect, never

That goal against Compostela was the most marked his career, note the explosion physics and its speed. There wasn´t a plastic thing, where he had to dodge several players such as Maradona did against England and against Belgium on 86 and Messi has done well. Goals like this, many players here do, until I've done.

It peaked at 97, but was this year, after bruising and was never the same player. Romario and Rivaldo were the best and most important for Barcelona than he

curupira
06-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Pelé:

He led Santos to become by the far the most sucessful Brazilian team ever. Santos wasn't important before Pelé at all. With Pelé, they won several titles, a very brilliant time. The Brazilian national team wasn't great either, he with other players set the way for the the next generations, with Pelé (& other players like Garrincha, etc) the Brazilian football team won its first World Cup. Pelé played a pivotal role in that.

A video of his World Cup performance (it is worth watching):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSqWUlZXye4

He played in the 1958 World Cup a crutial role for Brazil to win the trophy (he was only 17):

2x0 Soviet Union
1x0 Wales (quarter finals), he scored the goal
5x2 France (half finals), he scored three goals
5x2 Sweden (finals), he scored two goals

And so he did in 1970.

Pelé still holds several records such as this one:

In his career he scored 760 official goals, 541 in league championships, making him the top scorer of all time. In total Pelé scored 1281 goals in 1363 games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pel%C3%A9

Perhaps only Maradona would come close to Pelé in my view, though I rate Zico as talented as Maradona. Maradona played in 4 World Cups, and won only one. Still, they probably would not have won it, if not for his hand goal against England (Pelé did not cheat in any of the World Cups). In 1990, they were lucky to get to the finals (penalty kicks in the quarter finals and half finals, and Maradona didn't really play outstandingly in the final matches, except against Brazil). Pelé played 4 World Cups, and won 3 (with extraordinary performances, he was only 17 years old in the 1958 World Cup by the way). He led his team to win 2 international club titles (Maradona did not win any), and also he led his team to win 6 Brazilian football championships (Brazilian football tournaments are extremely competitive and not dominated by a few clubs like the Spanish or the Italian ones). As a midfielder, Pelé was extraordinary, he still holds several records. I am not saying he was better than Maradona, they played in different eras, in different circumstances. Both were very bright, I like them both, but still Pelé achieved more, definitely.

Founded on April 14, 1912, the club (Santos) enjoyed its zenith in the 1960s, when having players like Pelé, Coutinho, and Pepe and won:

2 Intercontinental Cups;
1 Recopa Intercontinental;
2 Continental Championships (Copa Libertadores);
6 National Championships;
13 State Championships.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santos_FC

Besides Pelé, Maradona and Zico, and Garrincha, I am a fan also of Beckenbauer. Beckenbauer is ahead of Cruyff in my book. He was not only a talented football player, he was a determined player as well, a winner. His match against Italy in the 1970 World Cup was one of the best moments in the history of the World Cups to me.

West Germany advanced to the semi-finals to face Italy, in what would be known as the Game of the Century. He fractured his clavicle after being fouled, but he was not deterred from continuing in the match, as his side had already used their two permitted substitutions. He stayed on the field carrying his dislocated arm in a sling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Beckenbauer

Laubach
06-20-2011, 10:48 PM
In Chile 1962 Pele only played one match. He got injured in the first match , and Brazil won that championship thanks to Garrincha and maybe the referees(specially in the match against Spain). Then Pele really won two world championship. Ronaldo has a ratio goal by match incredible during years. I dont think that he is best, but in my opinion Ronaldo arrived to highest playing level that I have never seen when he played in Barcelona. Only Messi can equalize Ronaldo highest level. Curiosly Messi and Ronaldo have been doped for years.

Maradona had an high level in Mexico 86(maybe the highest in the history) , but apart from Mexico 86,and some good seasons with Naples between 1986-1990, he hasnt been so successful. In Italy 90, he played badly apart from the goal against Brazil, and he didnt succes in Barcelona or Sevilla. Even in Argentina, he played mainly for Argentinos Juniors that was a modest club.

I said that Pele was triple champion of the world, but he was important in the cups 58 and 70. In 1962, he got hurt, if I remember correctly, against Mexico, but is considered a world champion. Pele made ​​the best goal in World Cup history, elected by FIFA at the World Cup final, Brazil 5 x 2 in Sweden, he was the youngest player to score a goal in the Cup, at 17, in the quarterfinals of the Cup 58, 1 x 0 against Wales.

When Garrincha and Pele played together for national team the Brazil never lost.

Romario and Rivaldo, in my opinion, were more important for Barcelona than Ronaldo and have played more than he. Barcelona has had Cruyff, Maradona, Stoichkov,M. Laudrup and many others and you think Ronaldo is better? Klulivert himself was more important to Barcelona than he. It was an excellent striker

Maradona made ​​the move of the goal against Brazil, but who scored the goal was Caniggia, another great player. And Maradona played hurt the cup 90. Another thing, Maradona in Napoli took the anonymity and was champion, Ronaldo only played in the big teams.

Argentinos Jrs have been champions of "the Libertadores Cup," the equivalent of champions league in South America. When Maradona was playing at Sevilla he was returning from suspension

leisitox
06-21-2011, 12:14 AM
lev yashin isnt here :(, so Beckenbauer :D

Laubach
06-21-2011, 12:30 AM
the greatest national football team of all time

OkBEbuHxapg

Brazil 4 x Italia 1

Goals: Pelé, Gérson, Jairzinho(also better than ronaldo) and Carlos Alberto Torres

The fourth goal was a "masterpiece"

Laubach
06-21-2011, 12:32 AM
lev yashin isnt here :(, so Beckenbauer :D

Yashin was the greatest goalkeeper ever!

Querubín
06-21-2011, 12:08 PM
For me the best ronaldo was the last. He was the most complete who understand the game best. Maybe the best was the ronaldo of inter cos he understand the game and was a exelent physical. The worst was the first roni. When he arrived to barcelona he didn't know how to make an uncheck. He only have an incredible physical an a lot of raw talent.

In cruzeiro he dominated south america
v=6n5fkOXyfh8
v=qIl4dBDwJdI
v=Cv4zzNJXtqc

In Psv
v=lXsg5Xsg3C4

In barcelona
v=8ELb0-rSFXY

In inter he didn't win calcio dos moggi was "the owner" of calcio
v=C-0-8m4aFDE
v=D9Ch8ar2lmI

In real madrid
v=-0QiX2KgiV8

Comte Arnau
06-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Arnau, you're insinuating that I like to criticize for criticizing?

I wasn't referring to anybody, just saying that in general, after reading some posts criticizing the player.

Look, I mentioned 20 players, it's just you search videos and were elected by FIFA, which were better than Ronaldo and also forgot to mention many others such as Zico, Falcao, Roberto Baggio, Junior, Nilton Santos, Carlos Alberto Torres, Pepe, Canhoteiro, Paul César Caju, Stojkovic, Savicevic, etc. .. In an election of the 100 largest in the history it certainly is, but 20? With all due respect, never

Well, everybody is entitled to have his preferences, of course. Some of those you mentioned are really good, others not so much to my eyes. You also might have a Brazilian perspective of this, mine is probably more Barça-biased. :D Still, I maintain I'd include him in a personal top-20 list. Because I see a difference between a very accomplished player and one touched, even if shortly, by a magic wand. It's comparable, to a certain point, with the case of Ronaldinho. He had that spark of genius for a while and then it seemed as if everything had vanished out of a sudden. Funny that they share the name. But with the passing of years, people remember those years of magic more tenderly than those of an excellent player who had a longer career but maybe not 'the spark'. I mean, I recognize the value of Rivaldo and his great contribution to Barcelona will always be appreciated by the fans. But even if he could be regarded as better than Ronaldo and Ronaldinho after seeing the whole picture, he didn't light that spark the way the other two did for a while. And I'm pretty convinced that most Barça fans would agree with me on this.

Still, of all the Brazilian R's in Barcelona, I stick to Romário's fantasy.

Romario and Rivaldo, in my opinion, were more important for Barcelona than Ronaldo and have played more than he. Barcelona has had Cruyff, Maradona, Stoichkov,M. Laudrup and many others and you think Ronaldo is better? Klulivert himself was more important to Barcelona than he. It was an excellent striker

I'd put Maradona, Cruyff, Romário, Laudrup and Stoichkov definitely above Ronaldo. I'd hesitate with Rivaldo and Kluivert for the reasons I mentioned before. But anyway I don't think it's fair to compare long successful stays in a team with short ones. Even Maradona didn't 'shine' in Barça. All I can say, though, is that I'm really pleased that such a number of excellent players, wherever they came from, played in this my team. :)

Querubín
06-21-2011, 01:46 PM
I can't edite, so...

For me the best ronaldo was the last. He was the most complete who understand the game best. Maybe the best was the ronaldo of inter cos he understand the game and was a exelent physical. The worst was the first roni. When he arrived to barcelona he didn't know how to make an uncheck. He only have an incredible physical an a lot of raw talent.

In cruzeiro he dominated south america
6n5fkOXyfh8
qIl4dBDwJdI
Cv4zzNJXtqc

In Psv
lXsg5Xsg3C4

In barcelona
8ELb0-rSFXY

In inter he didn't win calcio dos moggi was "the owner" of calcio
C-0-8m4aFDE
vD9Ch8ar2lmI

In real madrid
-0QiX2KgiV8

curupira
06-21-2011, 02:03 PM
The 1970 and 1958 World Cup Brazilian teams were indeed exceptional (certainly among the best ever), but my favourite is the 1982 World Cup Brazilian team, I have never seen anything like it. :thumb001:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZxvYy5-ekI&feature=related

the greatest national football team of all time

OkBEbuHxapg

Brazil 4 x Italia 1

Goals: Pelé, Gérson, Jairzinho(also better than ronaldo) and Carlos Alberto Torres

The fourth goal was a "masterpiece"

Querubín
06-21-2011, 03:01 PM
The 1970 and 1958 World Cup Brazilian teams were indeed exceptional (certainly among the best ever), but my favourite is the 1982 World Cup Brazilian team, I have never seen anything like it. :thumb001:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZxvYy5-ekI&feature=related

Brazil 1982 (zico, junior, cerezo, falcao, socrates, leandro and eder) was a wonderful team with the worst striker ever (serginho). With romario this team have been invincible

The Ripper
06-21-2011, 03:05 PM
A lot of people are torn between the negro from Brazil and the mestizo cokehead from Argentina.

Both are football legends, what is your point?

Btw, my vote goes for Jari Litmanen. :D

Black Sun Dimension
06-21-2011, 03:15 PM
I grew up watching Ronaldo and Zidane play, but if I had to choose one of those id pick Ronaldo.

Radola
06-21-2011, 03:17 PM
My vote goes for Zidane...why? He is one of few players I really saw in action and also because of the nice "header" into Materazzi´s chest...anyone must also appreciate his football thinking, he was a genius:)

http://cdn.worldcupblog.org/www.worldcupblog.org/files/2009/12/Zidane_headbutt.jpg

Laubach
06-21-2011, 04:19 PM
zSJuyE-YQg0

07PUI_C6Hmo

Zidane was the mastermind of the Madrid and the French team. His technique, finesse and skill were very refined. Zidane was a genius. I thought it would take years to show someone from his level, so that arose Messi

Laubach
06-21-2011, 04:26 PM
I consider Ronaldinho Gaúcho, when he was a playmaker in his prime and better than ronaldo. The pinnacle of Ronaldinho and his ability were higher than Ronaldo, Ronaldinho currently only does not play anything. I am not to forget what players have done. What Ronaldinho did was amazing

If the attacker that was the selection of 82 was "CARECA", instead of Serginho, history would have been otherwise. But Cerezo, who was a great player, he is a wrong that culminated in the goal of Italy. Brazil needed a draw but we had an offensive mindset, wanted to win and we get it, we lose. That selection of 82, as well as Hungary of 54 and the Netherlands of 74 were to have been champions. No diminishing Germany and Italy, who won the cups and these were effective

Querubín
06-21-2011, 06:26 PM
I consider Ronaldinho Gaúcho, when he was a playmaker in his prime and better than ronaldo. The pinnacle of Ronaldinho and his ability were higher than Ronaldo, Ronaldinho currently only does not play anything. I am not to forget what players have done. What Ronaldinho did was amazing

If the attacker that was the selection of 82 was "CARECA", instead of Serginho, history would have been otherwise. But Cerezo, who was a great player, he is a wrong that culminated in the goal of Italy. Brazil needed a draw but we had an offensive mindset, wanted to win and we get it, we lose. That selection of 82, as well as Hungary of 54 and the Netherlands of 74 were to have been champions. No diminishing Germany and Italy, who won the cups and these were effective

Zidane don't think so. He says that ronaldo can do "elastica" running. You can see what he said in the video of uefa final agains lazio.

Ronaldo got the defense 20 meters backwards cos he was very fast, powerful and lethal, more than any other player in history.

Correct, careca could have changed history but he was a very different player from his teammates. He wasn't a brazilian player like kaka. They are european players. The best striker for this team maybe was romario. And the keeper, valdir peres was a cancer, but that team without keeper and with romario could be invincible today.

Querubín
06-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Maradona fat and old in 1994. He still was the best player in the world
V3l89BxHLQU

This why he is the best player ever cos he is the best understanding the game
--ACUzCCza8

Laubach
06-21-2011, 06:57 PM
The final of UEFA was against Bayer Leverkusen. I saw several interviews and by the time the opinion of the players were unanimous in relation to Zidane. He was the best player in Real Madrid, even words of Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos and Figo. What Zidane did in the 2006 World Cup, missing two games to retire, shows his incredible ability. He was 34 at this time. Ronaldo was 30 and was already in decline. Ronaldo never won a Uefa Champions League. Zidane scored a awesome goal in the final

Yes, Romário would be the perfect striker for the cup of 82, I just gave the Careca, because at the time it was professional and had been broken and was Brazilian champion.

Reinaldo, who played of Atlético Mineiro, was an excelent striker. But, he was injured before the cup. He will be the perfect striker, at the time to the World Cup.

Reinaldo

ejAMZgZf4ek

None Brazilian considers Ronaldo the greatest striker in history.

Laubach
06-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Maradona fat and old in 1994. He still was the best player in the world
V3l89BxHLQU

This why he is the best player ever cos he is the best understanding the game
--ACUzCCza8

Maradona was the best player I've seen. An incredible talent. I'm sure that in 94 pitched to him. Argentina had won 4 x 0 of Greece. 3 goals from Batistuta (great goal scorer), and a great goal from Maradona, after won Nigeria with two goals from Caniggia(excelent player). After that game, he was caught in doping by ephedrine use. Argentina has collapsed

balkanoid
06-21-2011, 08:51 PM
gerald asamoah!

Falkata
06-21-2011, 09:35 PM
I think it´s pointless to talk about players that you have never watched playing.
So I´d say the best that I´ve seen

Goalkeeper: Schmeichel
Deffender: Maldini
Middfield: Zidane
Forward: Messi and Ronaldo (the season when he played in Barcelona)

In the current F.C Barcelona and Spanish national team I think Iniesta and Xavi are pure class and without them both teams would be way worse

antonio
06-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Iniesta is good but overrated (probably because of his scandaless image). I guess Silva or Mata would take his stardom role at any time.

Moreover, childish behaviour of Barcelona supporters after Golden Ball went to Messi instead of Xavi or Iniesta was really shameful. Just a football idiot would ever consider give that to one of that Spanish duo instead of Messi and argument that he plays great just because he is in Barca assisted by such players is absurd by the fact he can break close defenses on his own. Probably the pathetic sport press has something to do with that pointless delusion.

Querubín
06-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Iniesta is good but overrated (probably because of his scandaless image). I guess Silva or Mata would take his stardom role at any time.

Moreover, childish behaviour of Barcelona supporters after Golden Ball went to Messi instead of Xavi or Iniesta was really shameful. Just a football idiot would ever consider give that to one of that Spanish duo instead of Messi and argument that he plays great just because he is in Barca assisted by such players is absurd by the fact he can break close defenses on his own. Probably the pathetic sport press has something to do with that pointless delusion.

I think iniesta is the best spanish player in this moment (tomorrow maybe will be muniain). I think he isn't overrated and i think silva and mata are averrated (i love them) cos they are really good players but they aren't cracks. I'm sure that without iniesta spain wouldn't have passed the group in world cup. And i think xavi is overrated cos he can not decide a math. He es really good, maybe the best but, only in one thing. He only has one manner to play.

Golden Ball Iniesta and xavi said that messi is the best . Xavi said that he need to play good the adventages that messi and iniesta create. Messi said that iniesta was the best in world cup and scored a goal in the final. So, if Golden Ball was for the best player, it was for messi, and if it was for the best player in world cup, iniesta.

Querubín
06-22-2011, 04:04 PM
The final of UEFA was against Bayer Leverkusen. I saw several interviews and by the time the opinion of the players were unanimous in relation to Zidane. He was the best player in Real Madrid, even words of Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos and Figo. What Zidane did in the 2006 World Cup, missing two games to retire, shows his incredible ability. He was 34 at this time. Ronaldo was 30 and was already in decline. Ronaldo never won a Uefa Champions League. Zidane scored a awesome goal in the final

Yes, Romário would be the perfect striker for the cup of 82, I just gave the Careca, because at the time it was professional and had been broken and was Brazilian champion.

Reinaldo, who played of Atlético Mineiro, was an excelent striker. But, he was injured before the cup. He will be the perfect striker, at the time to the World Cup.

Reinaldo

ejAMZgZf4ek

None Brazilian considers Ronaldo the greatest striker in history.

The final was inter-lazio

It was cos his phisycal. ROnaldo never won Champions league but won 2 world cup and played 1 final WC.

When teams are going wrong, the use their resourse most reliable. Galacticos team use ronaldo and casilla not zidane. I spain we talked about casillas + ronaldo.

R4ge
06-22-2011, 04:38 PM
I think it´s pointless to talk about players that you have never watched playing.

Agree. They need to at least watch several of their taped games to have a worthwhile opinion.

In the current F.C Barcelona and Spanish national team I think Iniesta and Xavi are pure class and without them both teams would be way worse

True. You can take out any players from Spain (Torres, Alonso, Pique, others) and it won't make much of a difference because they can be replaced. But without Iniestia, Xavi and Casillas (three irreplacables) there would be.

Also Messi in Barcelona wouldn't be as good as he is without Xavi+Iniesta. Look at the difference of how Messi plays for Argentina and for Barcelona. Not taking anything away from him because he is the best player in the world now, but without those two playmakers he won't be considered so far away the best player. It would be closer.

My vote goes for Zidane...why? He is one of few players I really saw in action and also because of the nice "header" into Materazzi´s chest...anyone must also appreciate his football thinking, he was a genius:)

26EeJhwrgfM

Querubín
06-22-2011, 04:51 PM
True. You can take out any players from Spain (Torres, Alonso, Pique, others) and it won't make much of a difference because they can be replaced. But without Iniestia, Xavi and Casillas (three irreplacables) there would be.

Xavi in world cup played really really bad cos he didn't play in the base of the gamble. He played very near of the rival keeper. Xavi is only irreplacable in his natural role but, cesc is better player than him.

Alonso in world cup played really really good better than xavi and busquets. he played in a bad role for him.

Torres is very important cos he is the most deeper player in spanish team and spanish midfielders (overcoat xavi) need time and space to play good. Without torres they had less time and space to play.

R4ge
06-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Xavi in world cup played really really bad cos he didn't play in the base of the gamble. He played very near of the rival keeper. Xavi is only irreplacable in his natural role but, cesc is better player than him.

I don't think Cesc is as good as Xavi. Xavi played his best game of the world cup in the final against Holland and without his passes Spain's midfield won't be as good. Fabregas is good, but he isn't as good as Xavi (in 3 years he may be) at the moment. I guess we all have differing opinions but Fabregas is kept out of Spain's 11 because of Xavi. Spain's main strength is your midfield which picks apart the other team (like Barcelona). Xavi is the one pulling the strings behind both the midfield of Barca and Spain.

Alonso in world cup played really really good better than xavi and busquets. he played in a bad role for him.

If you take away Alonso from Spain you can insert several other players in his role or slightly change the midfield formation. If you took Xavi away then you would notice Spain won't be able to build up attacks for Villa and then they will have to rely more on their forwards without the great passes of Xavi.

Torres is very important cos he is the most deeper player in spanish team and spanish midfielders (overcoat xavi) need time and space to play good. Without torres they had less time and space to play

If Torres missed the whole 2010 world cup, Spain still would have won of course. He played very poorly. I am a fan of El Nino (I support Chelsea) but he isn't the same player at the moment as he was in 2007-2008. He can be replaced easily IMO right now with the way he played the last two years.

Laubach
06-22-2011, 05:06 PM
The final was inter-lazio

It was cos his phisycal. ROnaldo never won Champions league but won 2 world cup and played 1 final WC.

When teams are going wrong, the use their resourse most reliable. Galacticos team use ronaldo and casilla not zidane. I spain we talked about casillas + ronaldo.

You refer to UEFA Cup final? INTER 3 X 0 Lazio. That same season, Zidane was Italian champion with Juventus, another title that Ronaldo did not win. And it was the main player of the conquest of juve

It was also the vice-European champion with Juve and runner-up in the UEFA Cup by Bordeaux, beating Bayer of Klinsmann, Matthäus and Papin and was defeated by AC Milan, which earned him a transfer to Juventus. Zidane

Ronaldo has not played in 94, he was reserve, had no importance in that title.Zidane nearly won all the titles that could be the main player. Ronaldo could not have some titles that Zidane.

When Ronaldo and Zidane faced each other, Zidane has always had the best. In the quarterfinals of the 2006 World Cup, Zidane was in his antepenult game and gave a lesson in football. Ronaldo and Brazil were humiliated. In Brazil, many people consider Zidane better than Ronaldo too.

His vision of the game, intelligence, technique, skill, ball control, are well ahead of Ronaldo.

The problem of the Real Madrid's is that star players they invest in marketing to have returned. Do not bother to enter a team and a cast. And often, these players are not as good or not are on a roll. Many players are overvalued and end up not yielding expected.

Laubach
06-22-2011, 05:12 PM
So I´d say the best that I´ve seen

Goalkeeper: Schmeichel
Deffender: Maldini
Middfield: Zidane
Forward: Messi and Ronaldo (the season when he played in Barcelona)

I disagree. There are millions of videos, reviews and reports of people. If so, we should not discuss history, as they often do not have reliable sources.

alzo zero
06-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Where's Roberto Baggio? :P

R4ge
06-22-2011, 05:24 PM
I disagree. There are millions of videos, reviews and reports of people. If so, we should not discuss history, as they often do not have reliable sources.

I think he was talking about people who claim "Pele is best!" "Maradona is best!" etc without ever seeing them play, just relying on the opinions of others, etc and that you should at least have watched several of their games to have a stronger opinion.

I should have added him also. Truthfully the poll should have 30 players at least but I was in a hurry.

Players such as Cantona, Muller, Platini, George Best and Makelele also could be added for the sake of it even though most people wouldn't consider them the best.

alzo zero
06-22-2011, 05:27 PM
I should have added him also. Truthfully the poll should have 30 players at least but I was in a hurry.
No it's ok, I was joking. He's just not up there with those big names. If I had to pick an Italian I'd pick Paolo Maldini anyway. :thumb001:

Players such as Cantona, Muller, Platini, George Best and Makelele also could be added for the sake of it even though most people wouldn't consider them the best.
:confused:

R4ge
06-22-2011, 05:32 PM
No it's ok, I was joking. He's just not up there with those big names. If I had to pick an Italian I'd pick Paolo Maldini anyway. :thumb001::

Maldini is one of the greatest defenders in history without a doubt, but I think Baggio is the best Italian player ever. Just a personal opinion but there are many others who could compete.

:confused:

Of course I don't think Makelele is anywhere near the greatest. But we could apply him to the list for the sake of it. He was the engine that controlled the midfield of Real Madrid during the Galactico era and also with France. Many people consider Beckham in the top 30 players all time(complete nonsense) but only because of his fame. Makelele was worth much more than him and it would be a shame not to include a few underrated players such as himself.

Think of an improved, more intelligent version of Michael Essien who played to his true potential and didn't get injured as often and was even better in defense. That's Makelele.

alzo zero
06-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Of course I don't think Makelele is anywhere near the greatest. But we could apply him to the list for the sake of it.
In that compartment I think Essien is better. As a matter of fact I don't think that he's less intelligent than Makelele, actually I'm under the impression that Essien sees the game better than he did (although neither of them is a playmaker as it's meant to be). The same goes for Desailly when he still was a midfielder, or Emerson in his prime. But it's just my opinion...

R4ge
06-22-2011, 05:47 PM
In that compartment I think Essien is better. As a matter of fact I don't think that he's less intelligent than Makelele, actually I'm under the impression he sees the game better than he did (although neither of them is a playmaker as it's meant to be). So was Desailly when he still was a midfielder. But it's just my opinion...

Essien is nothing like what he used to be a few seasons ago and he has been playing very average recently and he can't play a season without missing much of it through injury. Not to mention the fact that he cost us the game (along with the ref) against Barcelona two years ago when he failed a clearance. He has made many other mental errors that have resulted in us giving up goals. A defensive midfielder needs to be more aware.

Falkata
06-22-2011, 06:55 PM

Watching a few youtube videos doesn´t seem enough to me. I just judge players that I´ve seen during many seasons. Just watching short videos alone we could say that Robinho is one of the best players ever :D

Falkata
06-22-2011, 06:57 PM

I think Messi is an amazing player and indeed he can break defenses on his own. But F.C Barcelona team (specially Xavi and Iniesta) help him a lot tooo. If not we would watch Messi doing the same with Argentina
Where was Messi during the last World Cup? :confused:

perikolez
06-22-2011, 07:15 PM
I think Messi is an amazing player and indeed he can break defenses on his own. But F.C Barcelona team (specially Xavi and Iniesta) help him a lot tooo. If not we would watch Messi doing the same with Argentina
Where was Messi during the last World Cup? :confused:

Messi played well in World Cup(at least , far better than Xavi). The problem is that Messi is only one player, and football teams have 11. If Argentina played without middlefielders, his defense was mediocre, and it was trained by a drogadict bad trainer,then Messi couldnt do more than they did for Argentina in World Cup.

R4ge
06-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Messi played well in World Cup(at least , far better than Xavi).

But Messi and his team were still eliminated fairly early and Messi was nowhere to be seen against Germany, Ozil outshone him. I would say Messi certainly had a better world cup than Rooney for example but not Xavi since he played quite well against Holland in the final.

it was trained by a drogadict bad trainer,then Messi couldnt do more than they did for Argentina in World Cup.

You made a great point here. Maradona was totally insane in his selection, he alienated some of the best Argentine players and didn't choose them for the squad. Milito? After the season he had with Inter Milan he should have been in the starting lineup but he was left out of the team. Argentina went through the group stage and beat Mexico but when they played against Germany Maradona's tactics were exposed. It would be a different story if they had a better coach.

I still think it's only part of the reason. Messi still hasn't shown he is the same player without players like Xavi and Iniesta pulling the strings for his team and amplifying his skills. If Messi was transfer tomorrow to Inter Milan, United, AC Milan or any other team I'm certain he wouldn't be Ballon d'or frontrunner year after year. Still the best player today.

Laubach
06-22-2011, 08:04 PM

Roberto Baggio is among the top 10 players I saw play. a excelent "trequartista" . A great skill and vision of the game. It was a tremendous injustice he miss that penalty in the final of world cup 94.

Laubach
06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
I think he was talking about people who claim "Pele is best!" "Maradona is best!" etc without ever seeing them play, just relying on the opinions of others, etc and that you should at least have watched several of their games to have a stronger opinion.

I understand, but we have millions of videos for us to omit our opinions. And not just with video highlights of each one, we have a great material to analyze. Do not forget the players of the past

Laubach
06-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Watching a few youtube videos doesn´t seem enough to me. I just judge players that I´ve seen during many seasons. Just watching short videos alone we could say that Robinho is one of the best players ever :D

I understand your point of view and even agree that it is fair to analyze the players we've seen play. But as I said, we have a wealth of material available to us, where we can find out about players past and issuing an opinion. Not just the highlights, but entire games.

Laubach
06-22-2011, 08:15 PM
But Messi and his team were still eliminated fairly early and Messi was nowhere to be seen against Germany, Ozil outshone him. I would say Messi certainly had a better world cup than Rooney for example but not Xavi since he played quite well against Holland in the final.

You made a great point here. Maradona was totally insane in his selection, he alienated some of the best Argentine players and didn't choose them for the squad. Milito? After the season he had with Inter Milan he should have been in the starting lineup but he was left out of the team. Argentina went through the group stage and beat Mexico but when they played against Germany Maradona's tactics were exposed. It would be a different story if they had a better coach.

I still think it's only part of the reason. Messi still hasn't shown he is the same player without players like Xavi and Iniesta pulling the strings for his team and amplifying his skills. If Messi was transfer tomorrow to Inter Milan, United, AC Milan or any other team I'm certain he wouldn't be Ballon d'or frontrunner year after year. Still the best player today.

Messi was completely sacrificed by Maradona in the World Cup 2010. The tactical hurt enough that he set up Messi. Besides the fact he did not cast Milito or aguero as members and not convened Riquelme, Aimar or Cambiasso. The midfield, with messi doing the role of owner and false striker, Maxi Rodriguez on the right, and Dí maria on the left, mascherano rearmost hole left unprotected and defense. The defenders were weak and the goalkeeper as well. Still, I think Messi did a good cup

Falkata
06-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Messi played well in World Cup(at least , far better than Xavi). The problem is that Messi is only one player, and football teams have 11. If Argentina played without middlefielders, his defense was mediocre, and it was trained by a drogadict bad trainer,then Messi couldnt do more than they did for Argentina in World Cup.

Mascherano plays with Messi for Argentina and also for Barça too.
The main difference in my opinion is that Xavi and Iniesta are much better than Veron, Jonas,Maxi, Pastore... and the rest of shitty argentinian midfields except for Di Maria.
Maradona was great playing for Argentina and for Napoli ;)

Laubach
06-22-2011, 08:28 PM
The main difference in my opinion is that Xavi and Iniesta are much better than Veron, Jonas,Maxi, Pastore... and the rest of shitty argentinian midfields except for Di Maria.

Mascherano was playing at Barcelona after the World Cup in Barcelona and he plays quarterback.

Veron is a very good player, he is the same level or better than Xavi or Iniesta. However, it is old

Falkata
06-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Veron is a very good player, he is the same level or better than Xavi or Iniesta. However, it is old

Noway man. At least obviusly not nowadays. He had some great seasons many years ago though.

Graham
06-22-2011, 08:35 PM
In my life time Zidane. That goal at Hampden against Bayer Leverkusen, the left-foot volley was genius . He made our game look so easy.

Best of all, Diego Maradona.

Logan
06-22-2011, 08:45 PM
BOBBY MOORE of West Ham United, England. Captain World Cup 66.

Franz Bekenbauer, Pele and Sir Alex Ferguson would have clicked other.

perikolez
06-22-2011, 10:17 PM

Veron didnt go to World Cup,and Pastore wasnt titular. Argentina played similar to African teams without creative middlefielders , and only with defenders , and forwards. The only middlefielder was Mascherano , that is defensive . The rest were Maxi Rodriguez(that is a joke) ,Di Maria , Higuain, Tevez and Messi.Messi had to act as Xavi or even XAbi Alonso , went to the middlefield and create all argentinean ofensive football, and give passes to Di Maria, Higuain, Tevez or Maxi Rodriguez.

Xavi was well in Eurocup, but mediocre in World Cup. Xabi Alonso and Busquets were better than him, and he was very far from Villa's or Iniesta's level.

Maradona only did a great world Cup with Argentine , that was in Mexico 86, but he failed in Spain 82, and was mediocre in Italy 90. In USA 94 he was doped.

alzo zero
06-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Messi played well in World Cup(at least , far better than Xavi).
As far as I can recall Messi was outshined by Papastatopulos (whatever it's spelled) when Argentina played Greece! :confused: He has incredible skills but I'm also curious to see Messi in a different system to Barcelona's.

Roberto Baggio is among the top 10 players I saw play. a excelent "trequartista" . A great skill and vision of the game. It was a tremendous injustice he miss that penalty in the final of world cup 94.
Which was good for you, no? ;)

Anyway it would be cruel to remember him for that penalty. He was a legend and Franco Baresi too, but they both missed their penalties in the WC final of '94.

Lábaru
06-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Maradona, is a idiot, but he is undoubtedly the best footballer of all time.

Falkata
06-23-2011, 03:11 PM

Anyway it would be cruel to remember him for that penalty. He was a legend and Franco Baresi too, but they both missed their penalties in the WC final of '94.

Baggio was a fantastic player. I remember perfectly the Italy- Spain match in the USA 94 WC
Every spaniard remember Tassotti breaking Luis Enrique´s nose and the 2-1 scored by Roberto :(

alzo zero
06-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Every spaniard remember Tassotti breaking Luis Enrique´s nose and the 2-1 scored by Roberto :(
In Italy he's remembered with romanticism mainly because he's seen as the last great Italian "numero 10", like Mazzola and Rivera before him.

Falkata
06-23-2011, 03:53 PM
In Italy he's remembered with romanticism mainly because he's seen as the last great Italian "numero 10", like Mazzola and Rivera before him.

What about Totti or Del Piero?

I dont know neither why Zola wasn´t as good playing for Italy as he was playing in the Premier League

alzo zero
06-23-2011, 04:04 PM
What about Totti or Del Piero?
I think that they aren't in the same category for several reasons: both of them are legends in their own clubs while Baggio was seen as a national icon. Totti and Del Piero never really delivered in the Italy shirt and neither of them has the same skills and sheer genious that Baggio had. Finally they're more modern footballers, physically stronger than Baggio and maybe also with a little bit more offensive attitude. However some people think that the next Baggio is around the corner and his name is Stephen El Shaarawy, 18. :coffee:

I dont know neither why Zola wasn´t as good playing for Italy as he was playing in the Premier League
In my opinion Zola's Premier League was much easier than Serie A at that time. And in the national team he was Baggio's reserve. However if Zola was playing today he would be Italy's star player.

Ausência Forçada
06-23-2011, 09:23 PM
http://www.cunhavaz.com/uploads/noticias/medium_1275998544_9643_Sagres_Luis_Figo_022.JPG

http://footballteamplayers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/figo.jpg

:thumb001:

alzo zero
06-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Anyone who's played football at any level can appreciate how incredibly difficult is to do something like this:

FA_eSKHK9Fk

I've seen more spectacular goals than this but I've hardly seen something as difficult.

I also remember this goal with particular fondness because Baggio, almost at the end of his career, was playing for Brescia back then (BTW that's a pretty good assist by young Andrea Pirlo ;)).

Lucretius
06-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Probably Maradona.

I forgot to mention Gigi Riva,who surely was not the best footballer but in his short career he made Cagliari won the first place in italian seria a (season 69/70)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_E47PMVe5QXQ/ScdIB6W486I/AAAAAAAABzw/e8otyrJ5M8g/s400/gigi+riva2.jpg

http://u.goal.com/8900/8974_news.jpg

Aces High
06-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Rooney of course,total footballer......could do with some good looks medicine but thats a different matter.

Sturmgewehr
06-25-2011, 02:59 PM
I voted Maradona but when Messi Retires it is gonna be Messi.

Aces High
06-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Didnt Maradona himself say that he thinks George Best was the best ever footballer.
Im sure i heard it on tv.

FEl76xsfRlg

Querubín
06-26-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't think Cesc is as good as Xavi. Xavi played his best game of the world cup in the final against Holland and without his passes Spain's midfield won't be as good. Fabregas is good, but he isn't as good as Xavi (in 3 years he may be) at the moment. I guess we all have differing opinions but Fabregas is kept out of Spain's 11 because of Xavi. Spain's main strength is your midfield which picks apart the other team (like Barcelona). Xavi is the one pulling the strings behind both the midfield of Barca and Spain.

If you take away Alonso from Spain you can insert several other players in his role or slightly change the midfield formation. If you took Xavi away then you would notice Spain won't be able to build up attacks for Villa and then they will have to rely more on their forwards without the great passes of Xavi.

If Torres missed the whole 2010 world cup, Spain still would have won of course. He played very poorly. I am a fan of El Nino (I support Chelsea) but he isn't the same player at the moment as he was in 2007-2008. He can be replaced easily IMO right now with the way he played the last two years.

The most important in football is to dominate space and time, and create adventajes. Xavi don't create adventages, he continues them. Messi is the best now cos he don't need time and spaces to create adventages. The most important in xavi is that he don't risk the ball, and for create adventages you need risk the ball. Cesc need less time and spaces than xavi and have more individual power (capacity to create adventages), so he is better player. The strength of barcelona is 1º messi and 2º iniesta. If they don't create adventages is very difficult that barcelona scored. In euro cup 2008 (there spain play really good) was torres + iniesta. Xavi played his best game igainst germany. A team without centrehalf and without his most important player, muller.

Who? Alonso is probably today the best centrehalf in the world. Sure? The best math of sapin in qualifying to WC was without xavi i think agains bosnia.

The truth is the 3 players who acelerate the play of the goal against holland was torres cesc and iniesta. Torres was injured. I think a player like negredo was better for spain than torres.

Querubín
06-26-2011, 11:55 AM
You refer to UEFA Cup final? INTER 3 X 0 Lazio. That same season, Zidane was Italian champion with Juventus, another title that Ronaldo did not win. And it was the main player of the conquest of juve

It was also the vice-European champion with Juve and runner-up in the UEFA Cup by Bordeaux, beating Bayer of Klinsmann, Matthäus and Papin and was defeated by AC Milan, which earned him a transfer to Juventus. Zidane

Ronaldo has not played in 94, he was reserve, had no importance in that title.Zidane nearly won all the titles that could be the main player. Ronaldo could not have some titles that Zidane.

When Ronaldo and Zidane faced each other, Zidane has always had the best. In the quarterfinals of the 2006 World Cup, Zidane was in his antepenult game and gave a lesson in football. Ronaldo and Brazil were humiliated. In Brazil, many people consider Zidane better than Ronaldo too.

His vision of the game, intelligence, technique, skill, ball control, are well ahead of Ronaldo.

The problem of the Real Madrid's is that star players they invest in marketing to have returned. Do not bother to enter a team and a cast. And often, these players are not as good or not are on a roll. Many players are overvalued and end up not yielding expected.

MOGGI.

In 2006 ronaldo was very bad phisycally. In 1998 he had a lipothymy.

Ronaldo needed less has more individual power. He create adventages esaier than zidane

Querubín
06-26-2011, 11:58 AM
In that compartment I think Essien is better. As a matter of fact I don't think that he's less intelligent than Makelele, actually I'm under the impression that Essien sees the game better than he did (although neither of them is a playmaker as it's meant to be). The same goes for Desailly when he still was a midfielder, or Emerson in his prime. But it's just my opinion...

Makelele centrehalf, essien insider

Querubín
06-26-2011, 12:00 PM

Messi and di maria played as MF and they are fordwards.

Querubín
06-26-2011, 12:51 PM
I understand, but we have millions of videos for us to omit our opinions. And not just with video highlights of each one, we have a great material to analyze. Do not forget the players of the past

Or teams like ajax 94. Or leagues like 80's calcio

Querubín
06-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Messi was completely sacrificed by Maradona in the World Cup 2010. The tactical hurt enough that he set up Messi. Besides the fact he did not cast Milito or aguero as members and not convened Riquelme, Aimar or Cambiasso. The midfield, with messi doing the role of owner and false striker, Maxi Rodriguez on the right, and Dí maria on the left, mascherano rearmost hole left unprotected and defense. The defenders were weak and the goalkeeper as well. Still, I think Messi did a good cup

Agree

Milito was only a good player with a great year. Agüero was a GREAT player, much better than Higuain.

3 stikers (messi, di maria, and maxi) + a right insider who plays as centrehalf (mascherano). It was the argentinian MF. Messi or di maria did a good WC but context was very difficult.

Cambiasso is a great centrehalf

Querubín
06-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Mascherano was playing at Barcelona after the World Cup in Barcelona and he plays quarterback.

His "mundialito" with estudiantes was wonderful. Better than iniesta maybe no but, better than xavi probably yes.

In south american teams, rhythm isn't as important as in europeans teams. But, we south american teams can win europeans if they impose their tempo.

Querubín
06-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Veron didnt go to World Cup,and Pastore wasnt titular. Argentina played similar to African teams without creative middlefielders , and only with defenders , and forwards. The only middlefielder was Mascherano , that is defensive . The rest were Maxi Rodriguez(that is a joke) ,Di Maria , Higuain, Tevez and Messi.Messi had to act as Xavi or even XAbi Alonso , went to the middlefield and create all argentinean ofensive football, and give passes to Di Maria, Higuain, Tevez or Maxi Rodriguez.

Xavi was well in Eurocup, but mediocre in World Cup. Xabi Alonso and Busquets were better than him, and he was very far from Villa's or Iniesta's level.

Maradona only did a great world Cup with Argentine , that was in Mexico 86, but he failed in Spain 82, and was mediocre in Italy 90. In USA 94 he was doped.

Agree
But maradona in italy played really good and in barcelana played good but he was very young

Querubín
06-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Didnt Maradona himself say that he thinks George Best was the best ever footballer.
Im sure i heard it on tv.

FEl76xsfRlg

Best player is probably most similar player to messi in history

Others great british players was "the king" dalglish and barnes
9xXkydFvIKA
sDK2YBy33_M
0DNg3iQZWJU

RmAo0uiarvA

The Ripper
06-26-2011, 02:04 PM
We've had several presidents, but only one king. ;)

RFLdz2kDcM0

Falkata
06-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Veron didnt go to World Cup,a

Veron didn´t go the World Cup? What are you talking about? :confused:
Of course he went

safinator
06-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Leo Messi

perikolez
06-27-2011, 06:25 AM
Veron didn´t go the World Cup? What are you talking about? :confused:
Of course he went

I dont remember him in South Africa. If he went to South Africa,then he didnt play many minutes. Argentina only played with one real middlefielder that was Mascherano.

Laubach
06-28-2011, 01:25 AM
I dont remember him in South Africa. If he went to South Africa,then he didnt play many minutes. Argentina only played with one real middlefielder that was Mascherano.

Verón played against Nigeria, he suffered a injury and doesn´t played, he played against Mexico and doesn´t played agaist Germany.

Veron played well but was injured and due to age Maradona set up the scheme that was very stressful for him. If Argentina had more players arm themselves to the moves, like Aimar, Riquelme, Cambiasso or Lucho González he would have had much more freedom to act and certainly the Argentine national team would have been better

Laubach
06-28-2011, 01:29 AM
George Best did not play a World Cup was a great injustice. It was one of the most skillful players ever, but also problematic. His troubled life off the field, unfortunately ended up negatively affecting. But, as it was played, he honored his surname.

Laubach
06-28-2011, 01:30 AM
Or teams like ajax 94. Or leagues like 80's calcio

Ajax team of 94 and calcios of the final of the 80´i saw. But but it is always good to see some videos and remember

Laubach
06-28-2011, 01:40 AM

In fact, when I was a kid, I rooted for Brazil and the selections I had descent (Germany, Austria, Italy and France). I was in the Rose bawl that day. I was 10 years old, when Baggio missed the penalty kick when I celebrated, but then I saw my father and my grandfather sad. I was huge fan of Roberto Baggio. My grandfather was "bianconero." At the World Cup, had three big names: Romario, Stoichkov and Baggio, the three were protagonists. If Italy reached the final, was the merit of baggio.

Against Nigeria, he scored the equalizing goal in the last minute and then scored a goal from a penalty in overtime. In the "battle" against Spain he also scored the decisive goal in the last minute. In the semi-final against Bulgaria, he scored two goals and turned the game for the "Azzurra", but he got hurt in this game. He, like Baresi, who came from injuries has not played the final in her best shape and have lost two legends shootout was very cruel what these players did in their careers. Fortunately, they managed to overcome all that with his many titles and football

Laubach
06-28-2011, 01:45 AM
I think that they aren't in the same category for several reasons: both of them are legends in their own clubs while Baggio was seen as a national icon. Totti and Del Piero never really delivered in the Italy shirt and neither of them has the same skills and sheer genious that Baggio had. Finally they're more modern footballers, physically stronger than Baggio and maybe also with a little bit more offensive attitude. However some people think that the next Baggio is around the corner and his name is Stephen El Shaarawy, 18. :coffee:

Although they have not played for the selection playing for their clubs, Totti and Del Piero were very important in the World cup of 2006 and helped the "Azzurra" to be champion. Del Piero and Totti, are players with great skill, vision of the game, excellent free kick taker, of course did no better than Baggio, but they can still be caller "Trequartistas" because they see De Rossi, as the" Azzurra" number 10 is very sad

Laubach
06-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Stephen el Shaarawy? It´s sad!

safinator
06-28-2011, 09:44 AM
El Shaarawy will be a big bust.

alzo zero
06-28-2011, 01:32 PM
I was in the Rose bawl that day.
:eek: How cool!!

Although they have not played for the selection playing for their clubs, Totti and Del Piero were very important in the World cup of 2006 and helped the "Azzurra" to be champion. Del Piero and Totti, are players with great skill, vision of the game, excellent free kick taker, of course did no better than Baggio, but they can still be caller "Trequartistas" because they see De Rossi, as the" Azzurra" number 10 is very sad
I didn't like neither of them at the 2006 WC. As for De Rossi if someone had asked me 3 years ago I would have said he was the most complete midfielder in Europe, then he had some injuries and also personal problems and eventually he never truly delivered.

Stephen el Shaarawy? It´s sad!
Give him time he's only 18 and he really does seem to have that quality. Incidentally he's done well at Padova like Del Piero many years before him. We'll see what he really can do next year in an AC Milan shirt... Usually they don't go after these extremely young players unless they're sure they have a huge potential. The last time it was for Pato.