PDA

View Full Version : Recommend to Me One of Those DNA Heritage Tests

norski
06-20-2011, 02:44 AM
Hello all,

So I did one of these about 5 years ago (DNATribes).

Now I have other family members who are curious about doing it and were wondering about what options are out there. Surely there are other services available, but who is the best?

I should throw in there that a family member is also a medical geneticist... so she will be strongly critiquing any service and wants something with lots of test groups, etc.

Thoughts?

Efim45
06-20-2011, 02:45 AM
23andme is pretty much the standard, or you can go with DeCodeMe, which is basically 5 times more expensive.

norski
06-20-2011, 03:02 AM
23andme is pretty much the standard, or you can go with DeCodeMe, which is basically 5 times more expensive.

Hey thanks!

How would these compare with dnatribes (something I am familiar with as a baseline)?

Efim45
06-20-2011, 03:23 AM
Much better than DNA tribes. With 23andme you get a simple Ancestry painting(African/Asian/European), your typical y-dna results, mTdna results, global similarity to other world populations results, etc. You can also send your raw data to third-party biogeographic ancestry projects and they do deeper analysis for free. Don't know about decodeme.

norski
06-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Much better than DNA tribes. With 23andme you get a simple Ancestry painting(African/Asian/European), your typical y-dna results, mTdna results, global similarity to other world populations results, etc. You can also send your raw data to third-party biogeographic ancestry projects and they do deeper analysis for free. Don't know about decodeme.

Whereas DNA Tribes only does the African/Asian/European breakdown and global similarity to other world populations, correct?