PDA

View Full Version : Phenotypes in Bulgaria and other Balkan countries by Petar Boev

The Blade
05-07-2019, 07:38 PM
It's something I have posted before in this thread when asked by my friend Dick to give further explanations of Boev's works.
https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?238616-Anthropology-of-Balkans
I thought it deserves a separate thread yesterday when viewing Boev's anthropological labour in the context of another scientist of ours' achievements - Metodi Popov.
Comparison table of pure phenotypes in Balkan states by Petar Boev:
https://i.imgur.com/RD5VjqP.jpg
About the author, his classification system and studies:
Petar Boev (born in 1920) is a Bulgarian anthropologist. He specialized anthropology in Budapest, Bucharest, Moscow and Paris.
Boev did a survey of the above-mentioned groups, as well as one of Bulgarian Turks.
Obviously the survey I posted above (Boev did several) mentions mainly the specific and relatively unmixed types because no country gets a total of 100% (from all anthropological types combined). It is logical because otherwise there would be results like 5,7% Atlanto-Mediterranean + Alpine + Dinaric, 4,3% Nordic + Alpine + Borreby and similar which is a Sisyphus labour...
His Atlanto-Mediterranean is the same term we use here, on anthroforums.
His broadly Mediterranean category covers other Mediterranid varieties but mostly Gracile and Pontic Mediterraneans.
His Nordish category covers pure unmixed Nordids (other Bulgarian anthropologists estimate that number to be between 7 and 10% depending on which region of the country they refer to).
Nordoids are Nordids with minimal other influences (usually CM).
The Norid category is about Dinarid/Nordid blends - lowly brachycephalic types.
The Dinarid category refers to pure Balkan Dinarics. He mentioned a specific Dinarid variety that was most common in the area of mount Perelik in the Rhodope mountains of Bulgaria. According to Boev this subcategory of Dinarids differs by its high cheekbones which in the same time do not protrude as strongly as those of Mongoloid people, for instance. Boev claimed the Dinaric race to be more strongly presented among Pomaks than among Bulgarians or Turks.
His Alpine is the same we all know.
Should be mentioned that Boev also had a more general Northern category which contained not only Nordids proper but also Nordid admixed types (like the above-mentioned Norids but also Sub-Nordids, Nordo-Mediterranids, etc.) and supposedly Northern Cromagnid types. This general Northern category he estimated to correspond to 1/3 of Bulgarians.
Other studies of anthropological types of Bulgarians conducted by our local anthropologists and scientists (Stamov, Cvetkov, Kremenski, Galabov, etc.) sometimes with the assistance of their colleagues from other states also have a broad Northern category including Nordids, Northern Cromagnids, Baltids and Alpinids, while in the same time strictly dividing Atlanto-Mediterraneans from Pontic ones.
Here's a map of anthropological types of the Bulgarian population created by Boev in 1972 (Source: Р. Boev. Die Rassentypen der Balkanhalbinsel und der Ostägäischen Inselwelt und deren Bedeutung für die Herkunft ihrer Bevölkerung. S., 1972). Each sign shows predominance of the respective phenotype in the corresponding area.
In red: Atlanto-Mediterranean
In blue: Northern types and Northern admixed ones (Nordids, Northern Cromagnids, Norids, Sub-Nordids, Nordo-Mediterranids, etc.)
In green: Pure Dinarids
In violet: Pontic Mediterranean
In yellow: Mongoloid influenced types (East Baltids, Turanids, etc.). They were said to be presented among Bulgarians of the Shopluk region, as well as among Bulgarian Turks from the Eastern Rhodope mountains and Dobrudja.
Here is the map:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Racial_and_anthropological_types_in_Bulgaria.jpg

Kaspias
05-07-2019, 07:46 PM
I have 1 blue 2 yellow 1 red.

The Blade
05-07-2019, 07:52 PM
I have 1 blue 2 yellow 1 red.
You mean areas you have ancestry from and types described as dominant there?

Kaspias
05-07-2019, 07:54 PM
You mean areas you have ancestry from and types described as dominant there?

Yes