PDA

View Full Version : Disabled man sues MI5 for £365,000 after it rejected him for spying job

Beorn
03-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Disabled man sues MI5 for £365,000 after it rejected him for spying job

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/10/article-1160814-03CB01FA000005DC-922_233x530.jpg

A James Bond wannabe who was turned down for a spy job has launched a £365,000 claim against MI5 - even though he is partly paralysed.
Sajad Suleman, 35, admits he could not move his arms or legs when he applied to be a mobile surveillance officer.
But the former bus driver claims his disability and ethnicity ought to have made him the 'preferred candidate' out of the 1,092 who applied.
He insists that the role - 'all about observing people or places either on foot or by vehicle' - could have been adapted so he could track targets by train, coach or taxi.

The service should have also paid for his health care, he said.
British-born Mr Suleman says MI5 and its recruiting agency TMP (UK) demonstrated 'reckless discrimination' in rejecting his application.
He told a Central London Employment Tribunal: 'They have a duty to make reasonable adjustments for disabilities. They should have invited me for an interview, there is no doubt about that, and I should have got the job.
'I should have been the preferred candidate because they said they encouraged applications from people from ethnic minorities and with disabilities.'

Mr Suleman, a Muslim, said he wanted to protect Britain and to take a stand against extremists.
Mr Suleman told the tribunal that his rare Guillain-Barri illness meant he was paralysed when he applied for the spy post in December 2007.
He said: 'I was so ill that I couldn't move my hands, fingers, arms, elbows, shoulders, hips, knees feet and toes.'
The job description states applicants should be able to pass a 'physically and mentally demanding' course.
Mr Suleman said: 'I knew the mobile surveillance officer job was active. They sent you out, sometimes to different countries to spy on someone. You are out on the front line.'

He has been unemployed since 2005 when he contracted Guillain-Barri syndrome working as a union rep at Metroline bus company.
In papers lodged with the tribunal, MI5 and TMP say they rejected Mr Suleman's application immediately because they wanted someone who drove at least 5,000 miles a year - and he only drove half that distance.
Mr Suleman claims this amounted to disability discrimination, saying: 'It is unreasonable to expect a disabled person to drive 5,000 miles a year.
The married father-of-three, from Wembley, North London, who receives housing, incapacity and child benefits, represented himself at the tribunal.
He said the case was thrown out after medical evidence was not produced and he has now applied for a review.
He is even appealing for help from Mohamed Fayed - on the grounds that the Harrods owner blamed spies for the deaths of Princess Diana and his son Dodi Fayed.

Mr Suleman said of MI5: 'They should have interviewed me to discuss how to adapt the job to cope with my disability, not rejected me because I can't do certain things.
'I could go on a train or a coach or in a taxi - use public transport instead of a car.
'I can't walk for miles but if you are asking me to observe or monitor someone in a city centre I could do that.'
Mr Suleman also claims MI5 counted his trade union membership against him.

He says rejection knocked his confidence, so he has not applied for other jobs, although his condition has improved. He walks at a slow shuffle with a walking stick but struggles to use stairs.
MI5 and TMP dismissed the claim as 'misconceived' and said their rejection of Mr Suleman had nothing to do with his disability, race or trade union affiliation.
The average cost of defending a claim has been estimated at £9,000.

Source (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1160814/Disabled-man-sues-MI5-365-000-rejected-spying-job.html)

What a joke of a man. Could you imagine him on some far off mission tracking dangerous individuals and they suddenly went walking through a serene park with ducks and swans and a little play-area?

I don't think even Q could have invented a convertible train/taxi/coach to pushchair mode of transport.

The Lawspeaker
03-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Sajad Suleman, 35
I am sure that this chap is a fraud. He isn't even English and I guess that he merely wants to supplement his benefits as he knew that he would be turned down.

The service should have also paid for his health care, he said.
Yes yes- he wants every last bit from the can, right ?

Mr Suleman, a Muslim,
Right.. that alone would have been a sound reason to turn him down. That syndrome what he suffers from is a vague one ayways. I guess that this one is a real fraud.

Beorn
03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I wonder what the incapacity benefits office will say now that Mr.Suleman has publicly declared that he is fit to work again. :rolleyes:

Treffie
03-11-2009, 11:29 PM
But the former bus driver claims his disability and ethnicity ought to have made him the 'preferred candidate' out of the 1,092 who applied.

I'm not usually a fan of the Mail but it has found a real corker here. I'll use my words carefully here - he's obviously a lazy piece of s***!:rolleyes:

Absinthe
03-12-2009, 11:36 AM
This reminds me of this (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23420076-details/Hairdresser%20is%20sued%20for%20refusing%20a%20job %20to%20woman%20in%20a%20headscarf/article.do?expand=true)

Gave me a good laugh at the time :D

Treffie
03-12-2009, 11:49 AM
This reminds me of this (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23420076-details/Hairdresser%20is%20sued%20for%20refusing%20a%20job %20to%20woman%20in%20a%20headscarf/article.do?expand=true)

Gave me a good laugh at the time :D

Lol@ this!

Ms Noah said today she had attended a total of 25 interviews for hairdressing jobs without success and had decided to take legal action because she had been upset by Ms Desrosiers' comments. She said: "I decided to sue this hairdresser because she upset me the most. I felt so down and got so depressed, I thought if I am not going to defend myself, who is?

Words escape me, really they do. :rolleyes:

Absinthe
03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
What's reassuring is the comments on this article. :)

If Ms Noah was Christian, Jewish, Hindu or whatever other religion who chose to wear a headscarf for an interview for a hair stylist and had been turned down for the job. No one would have gave it a second thought, why then is it such a problem because she is a Muslim? She was turned down for the job because of the difficulties of an headscarf in that profession. Not because it was Muslim headscarf or a Muslim wearing a headscarf. Let's stop this nonsense now.

Sarah, you should start a legal fund that would allow small contributions. I'm sure there are many thousands who would contribute $10 or so to fight this and make it a landmark case. I'm an American who has spent little time in the UK but I understand the significance of this. Sanity must be brought back to the UK!!

Dear Ms Noah,

You have been turned down by 24 other salons. There is a message in there somewhere, if you care to look. This is about greed, laziness and a desire to play the all powerful trump card of "racism". Your behaviour is pathetic, and your smug face at the top of the article says it all. You look rather pleased with yourself...rather than having damaged feelings!

To Sarah, if you establish some sort of fighting fund, I will contribute willingly. Stand firm in the face of this money grabbing racist.

This lady is just after a fast buck. How could she possibly want to be a hairdresser and as has been said before the unisex salon will have men coming into it - will she refuse to work with men. Ridiculous.

These people play the race card because they know this country will bow to their demands. Many thanks past and present politicians, as you can see, you're doing a great job!

;)

Treffie
03-12-2009, 11:57 AM
This comment was the funniest:thumb001:

Wait until she tries to get a job at a pole dancing club wearing a jihab!

- Graham, Reading, England

If we don't laugh about it, we'll cry!

Absinthe
03-12-2009, 12:01 PM
:D Goodness what scum will do to make an easy buck, eh? How'bout I go to Sweden and sue the public services for not hiring me because I don't speak Swedish? :D

On a side note, I wonder about the outcome of this trial. I hope the woman managed to keep her salon... :(

Treffie
03-12-2009, 01:41 PM
The Hairdresser lost the case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Case round up: Noah v Sarah Desrosiers.

In Noah v Sarah Desrosiers t/a Wedge, Bushra Noah, a Muslim hairdresser, succeeded in her claim that she had been indirectly discriminated against on grounds of religion as a result of her employer's requirement that she remove her headscarf while at work. The tribunal found that the requirement for hairdressers to have their own hair visible was not a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim.

http://www.personneltoday.com/articles/2008/12/01/47291/case-round-up-noah-v-sarah-desrosiers-highland-council-v-tgwu-allen-v-gmb-johns-v-solent.html

However, she managed to keep the salon. Noah wanted £34,000 in damages but only got £4,000. HA!

This bit is amazing!

She also faced a further blow when it emerged that Bushra had increased the figure to £34,000 to compensate for hate mail she had received following Press coverage of the trial

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1027300/How-I-nearly-lost-business-refusing-hire-Muslim-hair-stylist-wouldnt-hair.html

Absinthe
03-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Oh crap, that ruined my day :mad: What an unfortunate precedent that sets!! :eek:

Absinthe
03-12-2009, 02:00 PM
My goodness this sounds like a bloody nightmare!! :eek:

By March 2007, the business was doing so well that Sarah needed to take on another stylist. To minimise her overheads, she decided the best way to do this would be by renting out a chair in her salon to an experienced stylist - who would take a share of her profits - and employ a junior to work for both of them.

Sarah received dozens of applications for the junior position, one of which was from Bushra Noah.

'Her CV didn't stand out because I was looking for someone who lived locally - something I'd specified in the advert so that I could call them in as and when required - and she lived several miles away in Acton,' says Sarah.

'One day she rang up to see if I'd got her CV and begged me for an interview. I told her I had concerns about where she lived, but she sounded so desperate that I agreed she could come in for a chat.'

A few days later, Bushra duly arrived at the salon.

'I have to say I didn't take to her,' says Sarah. 'She waltzed into the salon and hung up her coat as though she already had the job.

'Naturally, I noticed her headscarf. But I presumed that, as she's a hairdresser, she'd take if off when she was working. In 16 years, I've never known any stylist cover their hair with a headscarf. And this particular headscarf came all the way down to her eyebrows and covered her entire hairline.'

Sarah broached the subject with Bushra, who said she would not be removing the garment.

After ten minutes, with the interview complete, Sarah said she would come back to Bushra about the vacancy.

'As she left, Bushra turned to me and said that she'd been turned down for jobs before,' says Sarah. 'And I admit I thought: "Well, what do you expect?"

'It was not a religious matter. If she'd come in wearing a baseball cap and saying she wouldn't take it off for work, then she wouldn't have got the job either.'

One morning in the second week of June 2007, an innocuous white envelope landed on Sarah's doormat. It contained a letter saying that she was being sued for £15,000 for indirect and direct discrimination by Bushra Noah.

This, the letter stated, related to compensation for injury to her feelings and lost earnings. Later, that figure was increased to £34,000.

:eek:

Well on the bright side, I am sure that this sort of publicity should bring sympathy customers to Sarah's salon. At least so they wrote in their comments to the article...

Treffie
03-12-2009, 02:12 PM
It makes you wonder why Muslims don't realise why they're so hated :confused:

Absinthe
03-12-2009, 02:18 PM
It makes you wonder why Muslims don't realise why they're so hated :confused:
My goodness, what a low life, what a waste of genetic material! :mad: I hope she gets what she deserves by her fellow-muslims. Death by stoning. :mad: