PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Germans and Austrians

Arne
06-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Look here on the left (german) Arnold Schwarzenegger (Austrian)
http://www.ralfmoeller.net/Photogalerie/Ralf_Moller_Bildersammlung/Ralf_Moeller_Bild_02.jpg
http://www.ralfmoeller.net/Photogalerie/Ralf_Moller_Bildersammlung/Ralf_Moeller_Bild_03.jpg
http://www.ralfmoeller.net/Ralf_Moeller_Spendierhose.jpg
This is what a Viking look like, not some infantile balto-finn.

GeistFaust
06-23-2011, 05:01 PM
They both look German to me. The difference I see between Austrians and Germans tends to be skin pigmentation and Austrians also do tend to have more Dinarid looking individuals. For the most part though its tough for to differentiate between Bavarians and Austrians.

Blossom
06-23-2011, 05:15 PM
not some infantile balto-finn.

Where's the Balto Finn you're talking about? :D

For the most part though its tough for to differentiate between Bavarians and Austrians.

True. :thumb001:

GeistFaust
06-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Where's the Balto Finn you're talking about? :D

True. :thumb001:

He is saying that the original Vikings were like that instead of a Baltid looking individual. He has a good point to make.

Agrippa
06-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Look here on the left (german) Arnold Schwarzenegger (Austrian)
http://www.ralfmoeller.net/Photogalerie/Ralf_Moller_Bildersammlung/Ralf_Moeller_Bild_02.jpg
http://www.ralfmoeller.net/Photogalerie/Ralf_Moller_Bildersammlung/Ralf_Moeller_Bild_03.jpg
http://www.ralfmoeller.net/Ralf_Moeller_Spendierhose.jpg
This is what a Viking look like, not some infantile balto-finn.

It is funny that you took those too, because Möller has a certain hyperplastic tendency, which is common among Dinaroids.

Robust lighter Dinarids = Norid and that's common, also in a combination with Nordid or Cromagnoid, in Austria.

Obviously he is rather narrow headed, but facial-wise, well you know.

Septentrion
11-13-2020, 09:12 PM
Germans have more blondes, gingers, blue or green eyes, fairer pigmentation as a whole. However, Southern Germans won’t be much different than Austrians, there the difference will be harder.

Oliver109
11-13-2020, 10:21 PM
I think the difference between Austrians and Germans can be compared with the difference between the Scottish and the northern English, subtle differences between the two like perhaps more red hair among the Scots or less blonde hair among the Austrians and rounder eyes compared to the Germans? Though Arnie does look very German tbh.

Roy
11-13-2020, 10:29 PM
I think the difference between Austrians and Germans can be compared with the difference between the Scottish and the northern English, subtle differences between the two like perhaps more red hair among the Scots or less blonde hair among the Austrians and rounder eyes compared to the Germans? Though Arnie does look very German tbh.

I think the difference is bigger than between Scottish and Northern English people albeit the difference is over exaggerated I will give you that.

Oliver109
11-13-2020, 10:31 PM
Really? the country as a whole? yes but Austrians from near the border with Germany must look very similar, on the other hand Scots do tend to look distinct from the northern English, smaller eyes for example and they often resemble Scandinavians and Germans more.

Roy
11-13-2020, 10:40 PM
Really? the country as a whole? yes but Austrians from near the border with Germany must look very similar, on the other hand Scots do tend to look distinct from the northern English, smaller eyes for example and they often resemble Scandinavians and Germans more.

Well ... they do look a tad bit different but they are largely similar. There is a reason why people throw them into one box and it's not just because of the United Kingdom country.

Oliver109
11-13-2020, 10:44 PM
Absolutely, the differences are very slight, there are certainly more differences between northern and southern England than there are between the north and Scotland.

Smeagol
11-13-2020, 10:48 PM
Austrians are Germans. Borders don't define ethnic groups.

Creoda
11-13-2020, 11:01 PM
Absolutely, the differences are very slight, there are certainly more differences between northern and southern England than there are between the north and Scotland.
In looks? Debatable IMO. Scots are often very distinct to me.

Immanenz
11-13-2020, 11:04 PM
Germans have more blondes, gingers, blue or green eyes, fairer pigmentation as a whole. However, Southern Germans won’t be much different than Austrians, there the difference will be harder.

I think the difference is bigger than between Scottish and Northern English people albeit the difference is over exaggerated I will give you that.

Germans do look more Germanic and are lighter haired than Austrians, for sure. Between Bavarians and Austrians there is smaller differences and a strong overlapp in pheno (especially if you watch for specific Bavarian surnames), but still South Germans are also blonder and have much more typical German faces than Austria as whole- only some regions like Upper Austria, some parts of Carinthia, Salzburg etc. can maybe match the level of blondness.
People in Germany moved for job opportunities etc. to other provinces/cities (South Germany being the economical strongest region) therefor there is no extreme regional differences in Germany.

Oliver109
11-13-2020, 11:07 PM
That pretty much sums it up, in London where i live i used to work in a bar that was popular with tourists, Germans usually seemed a bit bigger, taller, more robust, Austrians were also quite tall but they seem to have a leaner look and slightly more like the Belgians and French i would say. What is interesting is that Austrians do not seem to really resemble their Slavic neighbours that much while Germans often have a Baltic or Russian look.