PDA

View Full Version : East Congo villagers kill Ebola health worker, loot clinic

KMack
05-29-2019, 11:42 AM
East Congo villagers kill Ebola health worker, loot clinic

A mob in eastern Congo killed an Ebola health worker and looted a clinic, the Health Ministry said on Tuesday, underscoring a breakdown in public trust that is hampering efforts to contain the deadly virus.

Attacks on treatment centres by armed groups and mistrust among residents who view the disease as a conspiracy have become major impediments to containing Congo's worst-ever Ebola outbreak.

The hemorrhagic fever has so far killed 1,281 people, according to the latest ministry figures, and shows no signs of slowing its spread, with dozens of new cases a week.

The ministry said that on Saturday residents of the village of Vusahiro, in the Mabalako district, "rose up and attacked the local Ebola response team, made up of village residents who were trained to carry out certain response activities."

A hygienist from the infection prevention and control team died of his injuries when he was transferred to hospital, it said.

Responders, healthcare workers, and community members are increasingly subjected to threats from armed groups in hotspots such as Katwa and Butembo, the World Health Organization says, complicating efforts to contain Ebola.

U.N. officials say that stopping targeted attacks on health workers requires untangling deep-rooted political problems in eastern Congo. Dialogue has led to a recent reduction in large-scale attacks on health workers, WHO emergencies chief Mike Ryan told reporters in Geneva on Tuesday.

U.N. names emergency coordinator to boost fight against Ebola in Congo
Ebola could spread beyond Congo containment zone if attacks continue: WHO
Still, an uphill battle remains. Between January and early May, there were 42 attacks on health facilities, with 85 workers either injured or killed, according to WHO figures from May 3.

Health workers have been attacked six times in the last eight days, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told the closing session of the annual World Health Assembly in Geneva on Tuesday.

"These attacks demonstrate that the ongoing Ebola outbreak is more than a health crisis," he said. "Ending it takes a coordinated and strengthened effort across the U.N. system...with strong leadership from the government."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/congo-ebola-attack-1.5153495

Loki
05-29-2019, 11:47 AM
Interesting... does this mean they don't want to be healthy? Bizarre :confused:

KMack
05-29-2019, 11:54 AM
Interesting... does this mean they don't want to be healthy? Bizarre :confused:

Village people are highly uneducated. In some of these areas people think raping a virgin is a cure for AIDS and witch doctors pay people to kidnap albinos so they can sacrifice them.

Lemgrant
05-29-2019, 11:58 AM
Village people are highly uneducated. In some of these areas people think raping a virgin is a cure for AIDS and witch doctors pay people to kidnap albinos so they can sacrifice them.

Primitive, uneducated and superstitious.

KMack
05-29-2019, 12:00 PM
Primitive, uneducated and superstitious.

Very much indeed. The health workers I give them a salute. No fucking way I would want to work in that environment.

Loki
05-29-2019, 12:06 PM
Very much indeed. The health workers I give them a salute. No fucking way I would want to work in that environment.

Health workers there are risking their lives, and I don't think they get paid that much for it..

billErobreren
05-29-2019, 12:12 PM
You couldn't pay me enough to treat those people or volunteer there for any reason. Fuck that! Don't care how many ads with fly riddled kids you show me. I can commisserate, but in no way am I naive enough to think I can save that whole continent.

Odin
06-08-2019, 01:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LJPP_XkCTQ