PDA

View Full Version : Guess Countries For these Groups of Engineering students! (ENG/IRE/BEL/GER)

Bellbeaking
06-03-2019, 10:04 PM
They all have native names, there are no tricks, it is really hard to find good quality photos of engineers who are all native, mostly went with the first I could find.

Ireland
England
Belgium (All Flemish)
Germany

Which is which??

1https://i.imgur.com/7f8O8A4.png

2https://i.imgur.com/7eBh1Dp.jpg

3https://i.imgur.com/jRfsH5L.jpg

4https://i.imgur.com/J7OOgVr.png

Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić
06-03-2019, 10:07 PM
Germans
English
Flemish
Irish

Ayetooey
06-03-2019, 11:01 PM
1:Belgian
2:English
3:German
4:Irish

farke1
06-03-2019, 11:05 PM
1. Flemish
2. English
3. German
4. Irish

Fairly confident in #1 and #4, not sure about #2 or #3 so much though.

edit: Amended my answer based on extra information. (https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?291447-Guess-Countries-For-these-Groups-of-Engineering-students!-(ENG-IRE-BEL-GER)&p=6072979&viewfull=1#post6072979)

Mortimer
06-03-2019, 11:07 PM
I dont know but this is Belgium or Ireland https://imgur.com/jRfsH5L

Last one is England

Tommie
06-03-2019, 11:12 PM
1. England
2. Belgium
3. Germany
4. Ireland

Pansarkamrat
06-03-2019, 11:14 PM
1 Belgium
2 Ireland
3 Germany
4 England

Bellbeaking
06-03-2019, 11:37 PM
Good effort so far lads, all will be revealed soon I just wan't a couple of posters who asked me to link them my next thread like this to have a go before ALL IS REAVEALED.

https://i.imgur.com/1eVxgp8.gif

The One
06-03-2019, 11:50 PM
Germans
English
Flemish
Irish

Agreed ^

Smaug
06-04-2019, 02:16 AM
German
Irish
Flemish
English

Norb
06-04-2019, 05:30 AM
Flemish
German
Irish
English

Matxe92
06-04-2019, 06:39 AM
Ireland
England
Belgium (All Flemish)
Germany

1: Far right guy looks sorta french influenced. So im guessing the rest of them are Flemish.
2: Probably German, but some of them look english.
3: Either Irish or English. But im going with Irish.
4: English.

Creoda
06-04-2019, 07:09 AM
Germans
English
Flemish
Irish
+1

Prinses
06-04-2019, 07:52 AM
German
English
Flemish
Irish

Grace O'Malley
06-04-2019, 10:20 AM
German
English
Flemish
Irish (some distinctive types there)

billErobreren
06-04-2019, 10:38 AM
1. Flemish maybe
2. Germans some of those noses seem pretty Dinaric though they have the dry Saxon hair my gran accused me of having
3. English? the lassie does give me a West Saxon vibe. I knew me a stunner from Wiltshire who's a dead ringer for her
4. They look the saddest so Ireland. Joking, but one of the dark haired boys look like a Connor. It's all in the brows, eyes and mouth. I can't be the only one that thinks the Irish have a look.

Roy
06-04-2019, 02:34 PM
1. Belgium
2. Ireland
3. Germany
4. England

Bellbeaking
06-04-2019, 05:20 PM
Nice so far. I will now Devolve Precise locations!

Ammend guesses if you want in another comment!

The Germans are Bavarian.
The English are Central-West English, but probably from all over as people travel for university.
The Belgians are Flemish (as stated in the OP).
The Irish are from SW Ireland.

Any further guesses?

Petalpusher
06-04-2019, 05:40 PM
Belgian
German
English
Irish

Norb
06-04-2019, 05:54 PM
Nice so far. I will now Devolve Precise locations!

Ammend guesses if you want in another comment!

The English are Central-West English, but probably from all over as people travel for university.

Any further guesses?

I keep with my original comment

farke1
06-04-2019, 08:28 PM

Any further guesses?

I'll take a guess and swap English and Irish around, so my final answer is: #1 Flemish, #2 Irish, #3 German, #4 English. In my opinion, the Irish from SW Ireland have a slightly more Keltic look that fits with most of those in the picture - also, the guy on the top left has the most Irish looking face I've ever seen. And people from the west of England are typically darker and rounder-featured than those from the East, so I don't think any of the people in picture #4 would stand out too much in the area you're describing. I'm happy with the original two answers of Flanders for #1 and I'm even more sure of #3 being Germany now that you've revealed they're Bavarian.

Bellbeaking
06-04-2019, 08:39 PM
I'll take a guess and swap English and Irish around, so my final answer is: #1 Flemish, #2 Irish, #3 German, #4 English. In my opinion, the Irish from SW Ireland have a slightly more Keltic look that fits with most of those in the picture - also, the guy on the top left has the most Irish looking face I've ever seen. And people from the west of England are typically darker and rounder-featured than those from the East, so I don't think any of the people in picture #4 would stand out too much in the area you're describing. I'm happy with the original two answers of Flanders for #1 and I'm even more sure of #3 being Germany now that you've revealed they're Bavarian.

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarking 'ell

Creoda
06-04-2019, 08:41 PM
IMO second from left in No 1 can't be anything but German, no 2 just have generally English faces, the first 3 in No 3 are Frenchie looking so likely Belgian, and no 4 is so obviously Irish nothing more need be said.

Tooting Carmen
06-04-2019, 09:11 PM
German, Flemish, English, Irish?

Bellbeaking
06-05-2019, 07:55 PM
Big reveal coming today in one hour sorry I been a bit buzy and procrastinating meant to do it yesterday.

cast your final bets folks

https://giphy.com/gifs/transparent-baby-shake-nNxT5qXR02FOM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/731e8adda49cd945354776739e7b9542/tenor.gif?itemid=11321413

Bellbeaking
06-06-2019, 12:05 AM
Revealed:

1. BELGIUM FLANDERS 2. ENGLAND WARICK UNIVERSITY. 3. GERMANY MUNICH. 4. IRISH LIMERICK

photos in here:

1https://i.imgur.com/7f8O8A4.png Belgian

2https://i.imgur.com/7eBh1Dp.jpg English.

3https://i.imgur.com/jRfsH5L.jpg German.

4https://i.imgur.com/J7OOgVr.png Irish.

Further commentary provided with subjective ratings.
my autism below

1:Belgian
2:English
3:German
4:Irish

Congratulations to Ayotooey for being the first correct, In fact the only guess correct. 10/10

1. Flemish
2. English
3. German
4. Irish

Fairly confident in #1 and #4, not sure about #2 or #3 so much though.

edit: Amended my answer based on extra information. (https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?291447-Guess-Countries-For-these-Groups-of-Engineering-students!-(ENG-IRE-BEL-GER)&p=6072979&viewfull=1#post6072979)

Congratulations to Farke for being 2nd to get it correct although you did change your answer, which you will regret for the rest of your life. Still

Germans
English
Flemish
Irish
Congratulations for Hvikvic for being the first to guess and not doing a bad job of it.

Agreed ^

+1

German
English
Flemish
Irish

German
English
Flemish
Irish (some distinctive types there)

Congratulations guys, very close, mixing up Flemish and German is understandable, south Germans have a lot of overlap with Belgians phenotypically. I think many of you may have got it right had I specified in my first comment that they where Bavarians, as I added later on as an extra clue on a post on the first page. 9/10 points for you fellas

IMO second from left in No 1 can't be anything but German, no 2 just have generally English faces, the first 3 in No 3 are Frenchie looking so likely Belgian, and no 4 is so obviously Irish nothing more need be said.

although belgium is very close to germany. They are a bit frenchie looking but also pass well as central european (obvs easy to say as such in hindsight) 9/10

1. England
2. Belgium
3. Germany
4. Ireland

Again Very close 8.5/10 Guess IMO, Brits and Belgians are quite similar looking, although the Belgians do look quite continental some of them. Congratulations for getting the Germans correct. They are easy to confuse for the Belgians but do look 100% South German.

Farke(-in 'ell). Irish and English are close. Though this is an odd decision as 2 gingers in one pic + very pale skin tones, morphology aside I would just go with Irish in such a case. 7.5/10 Answer. Not bad.

1 Belgium
2 Ireland
3 Germany
4 England

Solid job Pancreas rat. Bang on belgium and Germany, British and Irish people generally look very similar. Though I do think that the Gingers should give it away. 7.5/10. You and Farke can walk away unashamed.

German
Irish
Flemish
English

Mixing up German and Flemish and then English and Irish is reasonable in general as they are similar, in this case Germ/Bel is very understanding. Though I think that the 2 gingers in the Irish one should give that away. Perhaps you thought it was a trick. 4.5/10.

You commented prior to the extra clue - their precise locations, i think you may have done better if you had seen that the Germs are from Munich

German, Flemish, English, Irish?
1. They do look German but are Flemish
2. They certainly would pass there but are English - you posted them in your university students from around the country thread
3. This one I think is hard to imagine them as English - I am guessing you just filled in the last remaining one here
4. Correct.

5.5/10 - 2 close 1 correct - You commented prior to the extra clue - their precise locations, i think you may have done much better if you had seen that the Germs are from Munich

Belgian
German
English
Irish

1. Flemish maybe
2. Germans some of those noses seem pretty Dinaric though they have the dry Saxon hair my gran accused me of having
3. English? the lassie does give me a West Saxon vibe. I knew me a stunner from Wiltshire who's a dead ringer for her
4. They look the saddest so Ireland. Joking, but one of the dark haired boys look like a Connor. It's all in the brows, eyes and mouth. I can't be the only one that thinks the Irish have a look.

Mixing the Germans and the English is understandable but they are not that close, keltic nordics often have a psuedo dinaric vibe, I think while the English ones could possibly be German it is hard to imagine those Germans (#3) as English. 6.5/10 7.5/10 bill as you did not have the info they where bavarian. give yourself that score if you did not see that comment petalman

5.5/10. 1 correct, 2 close. You guys may not have seen my additional comment above adding that the germans are from bavaria, so 6.5/10 if that is the case. Bill commented before i posted it so 6.5/10 bill.

Flemish
German
Irish
English

1: Far right guy looks sorta french influenced. So im guessing the rest of them are Flemish.
2: Probably German, but some of them look english.
3: Either Irish or English. But im going with Irish.
4: English.

1 and 2 are wrong but reasonable guesses. I think 3 as Irish or English is a stretch. 4 as English seems odd, as Irish is the obvious pick in light of the 2 Gingers and the general pale rufous skin. 4/10.

I dont know but this is Belgium or Ireland https://imgur.com/jRfsH5L

Last one is England

Thankyou Mortimer for your presence 10/10

Special congratulations for Ayetooey. Please thumb up his initial comment Post #3
2nd Place goes to the Cratian dude for the first 9/10 answer. 3rd place to the Farkein 'ell for getting it correct + close to correct.

Please all make a note of your feedback and reflect upon it for the next test and keep up the general revision. Remember, achievement does not come without dedication and sacrifice.

Creoda
06-06-2019, 05:10 AM
Revealed:

1. BELGIUM FLANDERS 2. ENGLAND WARICK UNIVERSITY. 3. GERMANY MUNICH. 4. IRISH LIMERICK

photos in here:

Further commentary provided with subjective ratings.
my autism below

Congratulations to Ayotooey for being the first correct, In fact the only guess correct. 10/10

Congratulations to Farke for being 2nd to get it correct although you did change your answer, which you will regret for the rest of your life. Still

Congratulations for Hvikvic for being the first to guess and not doing a bad job of it.

Congratulations guys, very close, mixing up Flemish and German is understandable, south Germans have a lot of overlap with Belgians phenotypically. I think many of you may have got it right had I specified in my first comment that they where Bavarians, as I added later on as an extra clue on a post on the first page. 9/10 points for you fellas

although belgium is very close to germany. They are a bit frenchie looking but also pass well as central european (obvs easy to say as such in hindsight) 9/10

Again Very close 8.5/10 Guess IMO, Brits and Belgians are quite similar looking, although the Belgians do look quite continental some of them. Congratulations for getting the Germans correct. They are easy to confuse for the Belgians but do look 100% South German.

Farke(-in 'ell). Irish and English are close. Though this is an odd decision as 2 gingers in one pic + very pale skin tones, morphology aside I would just go with Irish in such a case. 7.5/10 Answer. Not bad.

Solid job Pancreas rat. Bang on belgium and Germany, British and Irish people generally look very similar. Though I do think that the Gingers should give it away. 7.5/10. You and Farke can walk away unashamed.

Mixing up German and Flemish and then English and Irish is reasonable in general as they are similar, in this case Germ/Bel is very understanding. Though I think that the 2 gingers in the Irish one should give that away. Perhaps you thought it was a trick. 4.5/10.

You commented prior to the extra clue - their precise locations, i think you may have done better if you had seen that the Germs are from Munich

1. They do look German but are Flemish
2. They certainly would pass there but are English - you posted them in your university students from around the country thread
3. This one I think is hard to imagine them as English - I am guessing you just filled in the last remaining one here
4. Correct.

5.5/10 - 2 close 1 correct - You commented prior to the extra clue - their precise locations, i think you may have done much better if you had seen that the Germs are from Munich

Mixing the Germans and the English is understandable but they are not that close, keltic nordics often have a psuedo dinaric vibe, I think while the English ones could possibly be German it is hard to imagine those Germans (#3) as English. 6.5/10 7.5/10 bill as you did not have the info they where bavarian. give yourself that score if you did not see that comment petalman

5.5/10. 1 correct, 2 close. You guys may not have seen my additional comment above adding that the germans are from bavaria, so 6.5/10 if that is the case. Bill commented before i posted it so 6.5/10 bill.

1 and 2 are wrong but reasonable guesses. I think 3 as Irish or English is a stretch. 4 as English seems odd, as Irish is the obvious pick in light of the 2 Gingers and the general pale rufous skin. 4/10.

Thankyou Mortimer for your presence 10/10

Special congratulations for Ayetooey. Please thumb up his initial comment Post #3
2nd Place goes to the Cratian dude for the first 9/10 answer. 3rd place to the Farkein 'ell for getting it correct + close to correct.

Please all make a note of your feedback and reflect upon it for the next test and keep up the general revision. Remember, achievement does not come without dedication and sacrifice.
My knowledge of continental phenotypes is not the best, especially South Germans, but it surprises me how many people confused Irish/English for Belgians/Germans. For me the Continental/Insular phenotypical divide is most obvious. Also while English/Irish are often close no 4 was so stereotypically Irish I'm surprised anyone could think them anything else.

Petalpusher
06-06-2019, 06:45 AM
3rd are Americans, students form Cal Poly (California)

https://mustangnews.net/otto-mated-students-create-exhibition-in-german-museum/

Deutsches Museum in Germany is 66,000 square meters and contains 28,000 exhibited items. A team of four Cal Poly mechanical engineering seniors is adding one more item to that list for the museum’s 1.5 million yearly visitors to see — a prototype of the world’s first commercially successful internal combustion engine.

The team — Lance Hodgson, Rachel Jakob, Keiran Hansen and Chris Splees — call themselves “Otto-Mated”. They are advised by mechanical engineering professor John Ridgely and sponsored by mechanical engineering professor Frank Owen.

No wonder they are the least German looking of the bunch. In my opinion they are very hard to pass in Germany, yes as South Germans also, who often even have a more "classical German" look than in the northern parts.

Some in the 2nd pic would pass much better, bottom left, top and bottom right. The others less so.

The Irish were very odd.

farke1
06-06-2019, 07:05 AM
Bugger me with a fishfork, you mean I had it right and then changed? asdsrdaaaeraddsdasd

Thanks for doing this though, it was fun.