PDA

View Full Version : How the support for Welsh independence became mainstream

Peterski
06-15-2019, 07:55 PM
The first ever march for independence in Welsh history took place last month, May 2019:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/how-welsh-independence-burst-mainstream-16169784

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GclhKLBd2YU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWrjDKdjUjc

pulstar
06-15-2019, 08:22 PM
As they say in the videos, the movement is too small, but I can understand why would anyone there want an independence. Its not like anyone wants to willfully surrender to the hands of populist cancer which is taking over England.

Bellbeaking
06-15-2019, 08:23 PM
I support Welsh independence but it will probably never happen, also Cornish, and Yorkshire independence, the more countries the better. However Wales is more integrated with England than Scotland, its much closer to big cities in England like Bristol and even London and leaving would take away opportunities for young Welsh people, though being in the EU might help this.

Satem
06-15-2019, 08:24 PM
So now hipsters won't support Welsh independence I guess

Peterski
06-15-2019, 08:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vZcnIt0b0k

Tooting Carmen
06-15-2019, 08:44 PM
It isn't mainstream, that's the point.

Peterski
06-15-2019, 08:54 PM
It isn't mainstream, that's the point.

Well, a large percent of the population of Wales are English-born, foreign-born etc. and they might not be interested in independence.

But the support for independence is rapidly growing.

Ford
06-15-2019, 08:57 PM
They should also focus on reviving their language. All Celts should.

Ayetooey
06-15-2019, 08:59 PM
Time to get rid of filthy bellbeaker Wales/Scotland; will make England even blonder on the hair colour charts. R1b-u106 stronk!

Mopi Licinius Crassus
06-15-2019, 09:04 PM

i live in north wales (just)

local schools have welsh language as compulsory

numerous villages in north wales are predominately welsh speaking

Creoda
06-15-2019, 09:08 PM
Well, a large percent of the population of Wales are English-born, foreign-born etc. and they might not be interested in independence.

But the support for independence is rapidly growing.
This will be the final step towards Polish world dominance.

Ford
06-15-2019, 09:09 PM
i live in north wales (just)

local schools have welsh language as compulsory

numerous villages in north wales are predominately welsh speaking

I have heard that the Welsh speak their language at higher rates than the other Celts, but it's great to hear nevertheless. However, in a perfect world I would like to see all Celts use their mother tongues instead of allowing English being their primary language. It's too great of a cultural heritage to allow to die.

Mopi Licinius Crassus
06-15-2019, 09:12 PM
I have heard that the Welsh speak their language at higher rates than the other Celts, but it's great to hear nevertheless. However, in a perfect world I would like to see all Celts use their mother tongues instead of allowing English being their primary language. It's too great of a cultural heritage to allow to die.

wales is somewhat isolated from the rest of the UK

there are no motorways in wales...and once you drive into wales and head away from the border with england, you notice the difference ..

wales is v rural...has a v different character to england

Tooting Carmen
06-15-2019, 09:28 PM
wales is somewhat isolated from the rest of the UK

there are no motorways in wales...and once you drive into wales and head away from the border with england, you notice the difference ..

wales is v rural...has a v different character to england

Actually there is the M4, although west of Port Talbot it has only two lanes. Otherwise, you're essentially right.

TheOldNorth
06-15-2019, 09:48 PM
just hope they don't import tons of immigrants and stay in the EU, also I hope Brittany joins them and they become the Brittonic confederacy

TheOldNorth
06-15-2019, 09:49 PM
I support Welsh independence but it will probably never happen, also Cornish, and Yorkshire independence, the more countries the better. However Wales is more integrated with England than Scotland, its much closer to big cities in England like Bristol and even London and leaving would take away opportunities for young Welsh people, though being in the EU might help this.

being in the EU does nothing but make europeans the harbingers of their own doom

TheOldNorth
06-15-2019, 09:50 PM

maybe american schools might actually teach the celtic languages if the celts actually speak them

Ford
06-15-2019, 09:56 PM
maybe american schools might actually teach the celtic languages if the celts actually speak them

I personally doubt that will ever happen, the cultural incentive or interest is not there for most people. The new world is not kind to any foreign culture and often results in people being completely assimilated and forgetting their past. At least you're teaching yourself Welsh which is admirable.

TheOldNorth
06-15-2019, 10:08 PM
I personally doubt that will ever happen, the cultural incentive or interest is not there for most people. The new world is not kind to any foreign culture and often results in people being completely assimilated and forgetting their past. At least you're teaching yourself Welsh which is admirable.

yeah you're probably right, but I'm not that good at welsh yet

Graham
06-18-2019, 07:58 AM
Wales seems to be politically aligned with Northern England. We used to, so I guess Wales could change.

Longbowman
07-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Never going to happen, 25% of the population of Wales is English just to start with. That's English-born, there are historically ethnically English towns all over the place, even in the heartlands (particularly the coast in Gwynedd and Mon) and places like Monmouthshire which probably wouldn't/haven't shown any interest in being part of an independent Wales.

Just a hobby for some southerners, and the only real votes Y Plaid gets are places Welsh is spoken as a first language, in the North and West. My parents' MP is Plaid. But they have like, 10% of the vote, 10% of the MPs, no more than 20% of the Senedd. The split for independence - union is like 15-85. And there's a very low 'cap' to the extent to which they're electable. Bear in mind only 20% of the country speaks Welsh, 10% as a first language. Wales also doesn't have as recent a history of independence as Scotland does, and was never a united polity outside of English control.

Significant portions of Wales are directly dependent on the British government for their economic existence, particularly thinking of the parts of Mon and Powys that have large military presences. Either way Wales isn't really viable as an independent nation in terms of economy, hasn't been since the mines closed, and if Tata Steel closed its plant, there'd be like six jobs there. It would be tourism and forestry. That's it.

Viçwamitra
07-11-2019, 01:17 PM
Never going to happen, 25% of the population of Wales is English just to start with. That's English-born, there are historically ethnically English towns all over the place, even in the heartlands (particularly the coast in Gwynedd and Mon) and places like Monmouthshire which probably wouldn't/haven't shown any interest in being part of an independent Wales.

Just a hobby for some southerners, and the only real votes Y Plaid gets are places Welsh is spoken as a first language, in the North and West. My parents' MP is Plaid. But they have like, 10% of the vote, 10% of the MPs, no more than 20% of the Senedd. The split for independence - union is like 15-85. And there's a very low 'cap' to the extent to which they're electable. Bear in mind only 20% of the country speaks Welsh, 10% as a first language. Wales also doesn't have as recent a history of independence as Scotland does, and was never a united polity outside of English control.

Significant portions of Wales are directly dependent on the British government for their economic existence, particularly thinking of the parts of Mon and Powys that have large military presences. Either way Wales isn't really viable as an independent nation in terms of economy, hasn't been since the mines closed, and if Tata Steel closed its plant, there'd be like six jobs there. It would be tourism and forestry. That's it.

is TATA Steel that much important in Wales ?

Longbowman
07-11-2019, 01:31 PM
is TATA Steel that much important in Wales ?

I'm exaggerating, but not that much. Massive for Port Talbot, which is otherwise a dump. I used to go there all the time though.

Viçwamitra
07-11-2019, 01:34 PM
I'm exaggerating, but not that much. Massive for Port Talbot, which is otherwise a dump. I used to go there all the time though.

i see. i have heard rumors that TATA steel is closing down plants in UK as they are not profitable anymore, cheap steel imports from China are also destroying Indian local Steel markers.

Viçwamitra
07-11-2019, 01:35 PM

i see. i have heard rumors that TATA steel is closing down plants in UK as they are not profitable anymore, cheap steel imports from China are also destroying Indian local Steel markers.

The Lawspeaker
07-11-2019, 01:54 PM

Those would be rumours that will never materialise. The reason for that is very simple: politics. Closing down plants is a bad idea. Particularly if the business friendly party is in control and you have elections coming up. Imagine closing down a couple of plants, you lose a couple of thousand jobs and with more companies being involved in the background, this could mean tens of thousands of jobs. That means Labour winning the elections. And what would Labour do against TATA (because of a public outcry) as TATA needs access to the European market ? They would restart the plants under a new owner (such plants are usually considered strategic assets !) and make sure that TATA no longer has access to the British market by launching all sorts of safety inquiries and pollution inquiries (you know: those who should have been carried under successive governments but which didn't take place because of all sorts of corruption until they can be used as a political tool) that could drag on for years (and with that, it would leave the Netherlands for them as the other entry point and if TATA were to repeat the same process here - then things could get really difficult for them).

This whole free single market stuff goes for company that have access to Europe or are European. Without the access, TATA is going belly up as Europe happens to be one of its biggest markets.

Viçwamitra
07-11-2019, 02:08 PM
Those would be rumours that will never materialise. The reason for that is very simple: politics. Closing down plants is a bad idea. Particularly if the business friendly party is in control and you have elections coming up. Imagine closing down a couple of plants, you lose a couple of thousand jobs and with more companies being involved in the background, this could mean tens of thousands of jobs. That means Labour winning the elections. And what would Labour do against TATA (because of a public outcry) as TATA needs access to the European market ? They would restart the plants under a new owner (such plants are usually considered strategic assets !) and make sure that TATA no longer has access to the British market by launching all sorts of safety inquiries and pollution inquiries (you know: those who should have been carried under successive governments but which didn't take place because of all sorts of corruption until they can be used as a political tool) that could drag on for years (and with that, it would leave the Netherlands for them as the other entry point and if TATA were to repeat the same process here - then things could get really difficult for them).

This whole free single market stuff goes for company that have access to Europe or are European. Without the access, TATA is going belly up as Europe happens to be one of its biggest markets.

that explains. tata is going under new management of mistry family as last TATA family member is unmarried and without any heir. lets see how this new family runs this company.

The Lawspeaker
07-11-2019, 02:19 PM
that explains. tata is going under new management of mistry family as last TATA family member is unmarried and without any heir. lets see how this new family runs this company.
Let's hope that, for the company's sake, this new family aren't a complete bunch of idiots that will run the company into the ground.

Viçwamitra
07-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Let's hope that, for the company's sake, this new family aren't a complete bunch of idiots that will run the company into the ground.

unfortunately the company is not doing very well for over a year now.

The Lawspeaker
07-11-2019, 02:56 PM
unfortunately the company is not doing very well for over a year now.

Then staring down a barrel contemplating suicide is about the last thing they need.