PDA

View Full Version : The Racialinspector

Azvarohi
03-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Hi everyone, I´m Racialinspector. Some of you may know me from Anthroforum or AnthroScape, where I´m the user Azvarohi. :)

After high school I studied some courses in university on main linguistics and archaeology, then I worked as a chef for a year until I lost my job due to the financial crisis so I´m back in university studying archaeology.

I´m here to hopefully add something to the forum, especially in the linguistics and anthropological parts of the forum.

Cheers :)

Loki
03-13-2009, 12:54 AM
Welcome. :)

Quick question: Why do you list Russian as being Slavo-Iranic?

Azvarohi
03-13-2009, 12:56 AM

Quick question: Why do you list Russian as being Slavo-Iranic?

I´m actually 1/4 ossetian, I don´t know if you guys here consider it being european or not.

Loki
03-13-2009, 12:59 AM
I´m actually 1/4 ossetian, I don´t know if you guys here consider it being european or not.

We'll have to ask Hors. ;) I don't know much about Ossetians ... only what I saw in the recent media coverage of the Georgian-Ossetian war.

Beorn
03-13-2009, 01:06 AM

Do you consider yourself European?

Azvarohi
03-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Do you consider yourself European?

Yes, I identify myself as russian.

Loyalist
03-13-2009, 01:15 AM
Welcome.

Ossetians descend from Iranic tribes who migrated into the Caucasus during medieval times. I don't know enough about them to make assertions, but it seems to fall into one of those grey areas between who is, and who isn't, European. In either case, it is only 1/4...

I've included some photos for reference.

Lenny
03-13-2009, 01:16 AM
Yes, I identify myself as russian.But does Russian = European in your view? Dont many Russians se themselves as their own entity, not "European". This is the great question of Russian politics dating back many centuries, isn;t it.

Oh and Welcome, BTW

Osweo
03-13-2009, 01:29 AM
Dobro Pozhalovat' RI!

Hi everyone, I´m Racialinspector. Some of you may know me from Anthroforum or AnthroScape, where I´m the user Azvarohi. :)
Is the name a cognate of Svarog (itself a Slavonic borrowing of a SarmatoScythian original)?

After high school I studied some courses in university on main linguistics and archaeology, then I worked as a chef for a year until I lost my job due to the financial crisis so I´m back in university studying archaeology.

You are clearly insane to be studying such a discipline at such a phase in the world economy. You should fit RIGHT in here! Ya sam arkheolog po professiyu (no davno ne rabotal v distsipline), i rad naiti zdes' 'kolleg'! :thumb001:

Mezhdu prochim, tvoe mnenie na etom voprose budet interesno, naverno:
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25350#post25350

Ossetes as Evropeitsy... Hmmm, that's a question! Not that a mere 1/4 should overrule the 75% russkost', of course. I was down in the Caucasus last year, mostly in Kavminvod, but we did get very close to the North Ossetian border (as near as Stary Cherek - we went to the hot springs and waterfalls down the road from there), and I'd call the Circassians 'European' enough, for the most part. Probably not so with the Turkics up in the hills, though.

Have you read about the Sarmatian contingent that the Romans brought to Britain? (my County, specifically) I'm reading ZHizn' Doblestnykh Nartov at the moment, actually, looking for the supposed parallels with our Arthurian legends.

Do you speak Ossetian? I've heard a few recordings, and was surprised to hear something superficially not unlike Gaelic in sound! :confused:

Barreldriver
03-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Sup Racialinspector/Azvarohi, got bored with AF? lol Welcome aboard.

Lady L
03-13-2009, 02:54 AM
Hidy Hoe :D

Skandi
03-13-2009, 03:16 AM
Well hello there, have fun, and enjoy your stay. I'm just waiting for a certain someone to find this thread... a whole 25% :)

Solwyn
03-13-2009, 03:16 AM
Welcome!!! This is a very friendly forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Psychonaut
03-13-2009, 04:58 AM
Welcome.

Aemma
03-13-2009, 05:08 AM
Welcome here Racialinspector. Glad that you have found us! Please make yourself at home, poke around and join into the discussions and fun!

Cheers for now!...Aemma

Treffie
03-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi Azvarohi/Racialinspector, nice to see you here!:thumb001:

Your knowledge on linguistics would be much appreciated here!

Tolleson
03-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Welcome to the forum.:wavey001:

Well hello there, have fun, and enjoy your stay. I'm just waiting for a certain someone to find this thread... a whole 25% :)

Come on Thrym, we all know that you are into circular debates. You just can't look away!:D Choo, Choo. Damn, I need a train wreck smiley.

SPQR
03-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Welcome, I like the username, lol.

HawkR
03-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Welcome:)

Absinthe
03-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Welcome :) I somehow see this thread turning into another comedy, lol :p Don't get me wrong, Racialinspector, I'm not referring to you :D

Cool that you're into the linguistics business, btw :thumbs

Elveon
03-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Welcome aboard Racialinspector;)

Atlas
03-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Welcome fellow Eurasian.

RoyBatty
03-14-2009, 02:59 AM
But does Russian = European in your view? Dont many Russians se themselves as their own entity, not "European". This is the great question of Russian politics dating back many centuries, isn;t it.

Oh and Welcome, BTW

It's a tricky one. The Ukrainians (yes I know they're not "Russians" but there are many ethnic Russians living there) are usually more European. Same with the Belarussians (White Russians). The Russians in what today constitutes the country of Russia are a mixed bag. It's a big country containing many different peoples and consequently the "European" ratios in their DNA will vary.

As for the culture, there are certainly strong European influences but also Central Asian ones. It's a bit of a "East meets West" candidate.

PS, welcome to the RacialInspector :D

Brynhild
03-14-2009, 05:39 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Baron Samedi
03-15-2009, 06:02 AM
Willkomen!

Sarmata
03-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Welcome! Glad to see another Slav here...You're partelly Osettian so you have Sarmatian/Alanic ancestry, that's interresting. You ancestors are "Europoids" but not from Europe, indo-europeans from Asia but still our cousins:) But people like Osettians had probably some non-indoeuropean ad-mix like georgian, turic etc. or maybe I'm wrong? Your people are also devided for some minor groups so maybe you can tell us about that?

Osweo
03-15-2009, 03:50 PM
It's a tricky one. The Ukrainians (yes I know they're not "Russians" but there are many ethnic Russians living there) are usually more European.
Depends where you go in the Ukraine. Up near Poland and Hungary, sure, but out on the Steppelands there's nothing between them and Manchuria! You can see it in the faces sometimes.

Same with the Belarussians (White Russians). The Russians in what today constitutes the country of Russia are a mixed bag. It's a big country containing many different peoples and consequently the "European" ratios in their DNA will vary.

As for the culture, there are certainly strong European influences but also Central Asian ones. It's a bit of a "East meets West" candidate.
That's horrendously broadbrush to my mind. East meets West in several zones WITHIN Russia, but not throughout the land. East and West rub at the Caucasus, around Kazakhstan and the southern route all the way to Vladivostok.

Welcome! Glad to see another Slav here...You're partelly Osettian so you have Sarmatian/Alanic ancestry, that's interresting. You ancestors are "Europoids" but not from Europe,
Where do you draw the line? I'd put it on the watershed of the Great Caucasian ridge, from a purely geographical point of view.

indo-europeans from Asia but still our cousins:) But people like Osettians had probably some non-indoeuropean ad-mix like georgian, turic etc. or maybe I'm wrong? Your people are also devided for some minor groups so maybe you can tell us about that?
Alans ended up in the land where their descendants the Ossets by moving from the north. South Ossetiya (south of the watershed) is only a few centuries old. No doubt they've picked up a fair bit of Cherkess and Nakh on the way up into the mountains, but the root stock is quite 'European'.

Sarmata
03-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Where do you draw the line? I'd put it on the watershed of the Great Caucasian ridge, from a purely geographical point of view.

You're right the border between Europe and Asia is a bit controversial in that region
http://i39.tinypic.com/25996pk.png
but for me it's rather Asia(point A);)

Alans ended up in the land where their descendants the Ossets by moving from the north. South Ossetiya (south of the watershed) is only a few centuries old. No doubt they've picked up a fair bit of Cherkess and Nakh on the way up into the mountains, but the root stock is quite 'European'.

Ethnic Osetians are over 60 percent in Northern and Southern Ossetia...how many from that 60 percent had real Alanic ancestry? Who knows...?

Osweo
03-15-2009, 04:48 PM
You're right the border between Europe and Asia is a bit controversial in that region
http://i39.tinypic.com/25996pk.png
but for me it's rather Asia(point A);)
I've been down to near F (I haven't actually climbed the mountains, yet!) and the place is pretty much like a Russified Mediterranean. I recognised most plants and birds I saw, come to think of it. There are pockets of Turkic peoples around, like the Balkars and Nogai, but apart from them, the natives aren't exactly Iraqis or Arabs in looks.
All these borders are arbitrary in some sense, but the watersheds seem the most 'real' to me.
Looking at A, I can't think why anyone would call the lower Don more European than the Kuban. :confused:

Hehe, it just struck me, Kazakhstan has more territory in Europe than the Turkish Republic! Why aren't the Eurocrats pushing for their membership! :p

Ethnic Osetians are over 60 percent in Northern and Southern Ossetia...how many from that 60 percent had real Alanic ancestry? Who knows...?
I'd say about 99.9% have the ancestry, otherwise why would other Ossets accept them? As to how much Alan ancestry is in each person, well, who knows, as you say. I'd still put it at at least a half, though. I'm no fan of this stupid modern tendency to suppose that entire nations were created merely by spreading language and culture in the ancient past... Until Archaeologists find some "Learn Alan in Three Months" text books in a burial mound on the Terek, I'll stand by that position. :thumb001: