PDA

View Full Version : 2010 ads offend Muslims

Aragorn
11-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Muslims have taken offence at the use of sacred Islamic texts in advertising for the 2010 World Cup.

2010 Special Report

"In particular, as advertising for the 2010 Fifa World Cup gathers momentum, there have been soccer balls bearing the national flags of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Iran and Iraq in circulation," the Jumiatul Ulama (Council of Muslim Theologians) said in a statement today.

"These flags carry Islamic proclamations considered sacred by Muslims.

"Usage in this manner has the potential of offending adherents of the Islamic faith."

The Jumiatul Ulama said it had observed an increasing trend in the use of sacred Islamic texts in print advertising and promotional merchandise.

"Muslims handle and dispose of such sacred texts with utmost respect. We would therefore like to bring to the attention of publishers, advertisers, printers, publicists and all concerned about the sensitivities the Muslim community has about the use of any type of media with sacred Islamic text."

The council has offered its guidance to agencies involved in all kinds of advertising on the "appropriateness" of the use of Arabic texts, arabesque art and calligraphy "which may have subtly embedded sacred text".

The World Cup Local Organising Committee was not immediately available for comment.

http://www.thetimes.co.za/Sport/Article.aspx?id=882133

The Dragonslayer
11-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Why does that not surprise me!?! I think everything offends Muslims. They need to get a life.

Stormraaf
11-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Why does that not surprise me!?! I think everything offends Muslims. They need to get a life.
It really seems as if Muslims have nothing better to do than being sensitive about everything and feeling insulted by everyone.

On another note... we're going to have Arab teams and supporters coming to SA for the world cup? Ooooohhhh sh**, my black dog had better grow some white spots fast!

Jimbo Gomez
11-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Oh my, if this already offends them I wonder how they'd react if they'd hear about my quran toiletpaper.

The Dragonslayer
11-15-2008, 04:12 PM
It really seems as if Muslims have nothing better to do than being sensitive about everything and feeling insulted by everyone.

On another note... we're going to have Arab teams and supporters coming to SA for the world cup? Ooooohhhh sh**, my black dog had better grow some white spots fast!

I think they must just be sitting around looking to find all the things in the West they can be offended at. My answer to that. Go back home.

Good luck with the Arabs coming to South Africa.

Jägerstaffel
12-13-2008, 11:13 PM
I don't think Muslims ever work. They have way too much time to find things to be offended/riot about. Do any of them have jobs?

Atlas
12-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Do any of them have jobs?

Welfare works well for them in Europe.

Jägerstaffel
12-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Good point.
I forget that free-loaders get away with free-loading a lot of the time.