PDA

View Full Version : Edward Bernays Documentary - The Century of the Self

Daco Celtic
07-05-2019, 03:03 AM
Interesting documentary on Edward Bernays from 2002.

"Bernays pioneered public relations. Often referred to as “the father of public relations,” Bernays in 1928 published his seminal work, Propaganda, in which he argued that public relations is not a gimmick but a necessity: ... It is they who pull the wires that control the public mind."

https://youtu.be/eJ3RzGoQC4s

billErobreren
07-05-2019, 03:06 AM
Read Propaganda in college years ago. This should be an interesting watch.

Lazio
07-05-2019, 03:08 AM
Every millenial and gen z should watch that.

Daco Celtic
07-05-2019, 03:15 AM
Read Propaganda in college years ago. This should be an interesting watch.

I watched it about 4 years ago and remember it being a well made documentary. It shows the evolution of advertising and mass propaganda. Early 20th century advertising was relatively straight forward and focused on highlighting the quality of a given product. By the mid-century, advertising was increasingly focused on sex appeal and repressed human desires. I think this video goes over that.

billErobreren
07-05-2019, 03:23 AM
I watched it about 4 years ago and remember it being a well made documentary. It shows the evolution of advertising and mass propaganda. Early 20th century advertising was relatively straight forward and focused on highlighting the quality of a given product. By the mid-century, advertising was increasingly focused on sex appeal and repressed human desires. I think this video goes over that.

Oh yeah. Big time! Overnight Protestant countries went from being stingy and prudish to wasteful consumers. It's all there written by Bernays's himself(maybe I oughta share it as an attachment). I'd also recommend reading Mass Psychology of Fascism by Reich and One-Dimensional Man by Marcuse. Our current state of affairs will make so much sense then, too many people with money and influence were listening to these pricks.

edit: Fuck it! Don't know how to attach PDF files here :laugh:

Daco Celtic
07-06-2019, 04:27 PM
bump

Daco Celtic
07-19-2019, 07:07 AM

Daco Celtic
08-19-2019, 05:28 AM
bump