PDA

View Full Version : A Dangerous Method: Trailer (Cronenberg's Latest)

Eldritch
07-03-2011, 09:55 PM
664eq7BXQcM

It may be easier to buy the notion of Keira Knightley as a crazy lady than Viggo Mortensen as Sigmund Freud, but David Cronenberg always merits our ticket money whenever we're jonesing for a fix of squirmy, psychological unease.

Which brings us to A Dangerous Method, Cronenberg's based-on-a-true-story period drama about Freud and his protege, analyst Carl Jung, and Jung's likely affair with a crazy Russian lady (who would later become a real-life analyst herself), played by period vet Keira Knightley. Michael Fassbender plays Jung, and the screenplay was adapted by Oscar-winning writer Christopher Hampton from his play, The Talking Cure. Vincent Cassel (who should have won an Oscar for Black Swan) also stars in the film.

The trailer confuses me. I think it's Cronenberg doing Merchant Ivory at first, but then it starts to look like he's doing an S&M movie (possibly titled Girl Secretary, Interrupted), toying with pastiche. Lord of the Rings Oscar-hog Howard Shore did the music, so all the pieces were in place. And if Mortensen can pull off a Freud that doesn't ruin the movie, I will stand mentally corrected. The film will premiere at the Venice Film Festival in September

Fassbender and Mortensen, yeah! Knightley and Cassel, meh.

The music indeed sounds gorgeous, based on the few clips from the trailer. And Cronenberg has never landed totally butter-side down, has he?