PDA

View Full Version : Which is more MISOGYNISTIC: Arabia or India???

Breathe
07-14-2019, 11:46 PM
Ladies, this question is mostly towards you (but men can answer as well). I have friends from both countries and we have discussed gender roles in class all the time for projects and such. This is what I have gathered. Please choose which country you think is the most sexist for women to live in. Btw, I have lived in over 7 countries, including India and Saudi’s Arabia. Therefore, I am familiar with both cultures.

Which is more sexist?

India Women are forced to:

-even if women have jobs, they must take care of entire household and kids. Sometimes, these women are expected all their salary to hubby’s Family
-Women are expected to provide husband with dowry (buy furniture, tv, car, or even house as per groom’s wishes) . If not, they are abused or burnt alive
-Everyone wants a son. Baby girls are often buried alive or thrown into trash cans. Sometimes female fetuses are aborted.
-Women are often victims of domestic violence. Some are beaten or even burned alive

Women in Saudi Arabia:

-Weren’t allowed to drive till recently.
-Doesn’t allow women to have jobs (with a few exceptions)
-Has very strict dress code for women. Must cover everything from head to toe.
-Allows men to marry upto 4 wives.
-There is segregation everywhere. From parties, universities, gyms, malls, mosques, and public transportation. Men and women are segregated everywhere.

arkas
07-15-2019, 12:42 AM
Both but I don't know about life in their home countries but most Indian women in Australia I know have a professional working career and are encouraged to go to university, Arabic women here still seem to often just be a housewife for some reason.

Tooting Carmen
07-15-2019, 01:18 AM
Legally, Arabia by far. Socially and culturally, probably on par.

PaleoEuropean
07-15-2019, 01:40 AM
Legally, Arabia by far. Socially and culturally, probably on par.

I agree

Breathe
07-15-2019, 02:23 AM
So you guys think that India is less sexist than Saudi Arabia even though baby girls are more commonly killed in India?

That’s interesting. I believe that Saudi Arabia may have sexist laws. But I think India is definitely more violent for women than Saudi Arabia

Richmondbread
07-15-2019, 02:26 AM
Any Arab country, women are basically treated like cattle.

sean
07-15-2019, 06:38 PM
Both, but Saudis can get away with murder, torture, slavery of women etc. if the receiving end is from a poor country in Africa/Asia.

Voskos
07-15-2019, 06:40 PM
India.