PDA

View Full Version : Strange maternal genetics?

Boudica
07-04-2011, 04:23 AM
Okay, so I'm not sure if this is strange/abnormal or not but it seems as if there is a trend of some sort that occurs on my mothers side of the family. My 23andme said that I should have blonde hair (I have brown). My maternal grandmother was blonde hair and blue eyed, she had my mother and my mother was brown hair and hazel eyed, she then had my aunt who was blonde hair and blue eyed. My mother had me, I am brown hair and hazel eyed, then had my half sister whom is blonde hair and blue eyed, it's the same pattern that occurred when my grandma had my mom and aunt.

I wouldn't think that this was strange if it were not for the fact that my mother is the only person on both sides (maternal and paternal) with hazel eyes, the rest of my family has blue eyes, and I came out with hazel eyes, and the fact that my sister has blonde hair and blue eyes when my mother has brown hair and hazel eyes and my step father (my half sister's father) has dark brown hair and brown eyes. Is this strange, or do Scandinavians and Germans just carry a sort of strong/random Blonde hair/Blue eyed gene?

Logan
07-04-2011, 04:37 AM
I believe that we imbide a variety of selections for different visible outcomes. Some people and or some peoples more than others.

I think it simular to a litter of most any another type of mammal, where you might see in their numerous offspring, various expressions in one go of the parents potential diversity.

Boudica
07-04-2011, 04:54 AM
I believe that we imbide a variety of selections for different visible outcomes. Some people and or some peoples more than others.

I think it simular to a litter of most any another type of mammal, where you might see in their numerous offspring, various expressions in one go of the parents potential diversity.

Hm that is a good way to put it :)

BeerBaron
07-04-2011, 05:08 AM
I wouldn't think that this was strange if it were not for the fact that my mother is the only person on both sides (maternal and paternal) with hazel eyes, the rest of my family has blue eyes, and I came out with hazel eyes, and the fact that my sister has blonde hair and blue eyes when my mother has brown hair and hazel eyes and my step father (my half sister's father) has dark brown hair and brown eyes. Is this strange, or do Scandinavians and Germans just carry a sort of strong/random Blonde hair/Blue eyed gene?

No, it's not strange my brother is blonde blue eyed im not, both my parents have dark hair and dark eyes. It seems sort of random the way it is expressed, i dont know if its random for scandinavians to carry a strong blonde blue gene but i'm fairly certain we all carry it, maybe not, im not a genetics expert. We were all born blond or dirty blonde then got darker though, i heard that isn't uncommon.