PDA

View Full Version : Why I Love Loyal Ulster

British and Proud
03-13-2009, 07:05 PM
This is my latest blog post:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IsIVb_6uIco/Sbl13qkRGQI/AAAAAAAAAIM/0D6PTJv7M3Y/s1600/36THULSTERDIVISI0NMURAL2.jpg

Throughout history our politicians have betrayed the Northern Irish people - from Gladstone's Home Rule Bills, a cynical attempt to curry the favour of the Irish Nationalist Party and form a majority government, to Blair's negotiations with the the terrorists of Sinn Fein, who were not even representative of the majority of the republican people, being electorally inferior to the SDLP. The latter betrayal was particularly atrocious, as not only did it propel Sinn Fein to the forefront of Northern Irish politics, it also, in the eyes of many, rewarded the years of bloodshed they waged on the British people. In the words of Enoch Powell:

It is of the nature of all internecine violence that it lives on hope. Violence feeds upon the hope of success... violence will not continue indefinitely where the objects which it proposes to itself appear to be unattainable, or at any rate unattainable within a predictable future. The Government in Northern Ireland and the Government in this country actually assist violence and strengthen it in so far as they appear to act and appear to reform under the pressure of violence...[The Government should ensure that] neither by word nor deed do we treat the membership of the Six Counties in the United Kingdom as negotiable. Every word or act which holds out the prospect that their unity with the rest of the United Kingdom might be negotiable is itself, consciously or unconsciously, a contributory cause to the continuation of violence in Northern Ireland.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IsIVb_6uIco/Sbl14EVO9kI/AAAAAAAAAIU/msqtO8TPHgc/s1600/36THULSTERDIVISI0NMURAL3.JPG

Above: The murals reflect the deep pride loyal Ulstermen still have for the sacrifices their ancestors made in the Great War. The 36th Ulster Division were fierce and brave soldiers, and uniquely in Britain, were volunteers as there was no conscription in Ireland due to the fears of provoking a nationalist rebellion. Wikipedia quotes military historian, Martin Middlebrook, thus:

The leading battalions (of the 36th (Ulster) Division) had been ordered out from the wood just before 7.30am and laid down near the German trenches ... At zero hour the British barrage lifted. Bugles blew the "Advance". Up sprang the Ulstermen and, without forming up in the waves adopted by other divisions, they rushed the German front line ..... By a combination of sensible tactics and Ulster dash, the prize that eluded so many, the capture of a long section of the German front line, had been accomplished.

However it was not Ulster's gallant history and loyalty for which I nearly wept, when I visited Belfast recently. It had nothing to do with the fact this brave "wee country" is seemingly the last bastion of Britishness - the only part of the UK where Christianity isn't held in jest, or where the people are proud to be British patriots, where children can still benefit from a grammar school education and the true British community spirit flourishes, even in the face of adversity. No! It was the sight of a primary school languishing beneath a wall of steel and bricks, an unfortunate necessity, required to keep its young pupils safe from republican violence.

When visiting the north of the city I saw another 'interface', and again felt moved, only this time it was seeing the rows and rows of CCTV cameras, each one perched on top of a pole twenty metres high. It was explained to me that north Belfast's population was just 52% Protestant, and thus the republican community believe it to be an area where they can make demographical gains and form the majority, this is of course faster when the loyalist population are hounded from their homes through subjection to sustained periods of violence. I have scoured the 'net for statistics to support the claims made by my guide, and sure enough the first website I came across - one which celebrates the 'unsung heroes of the peace process' - substantiated his account of the demographics (see below). The rest was obvious from the situation of the cameras in relation to the nearby peace wall. Apparently, Sinn Fein had objected to the installation of the cameras!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IsIVb_6uIco/SbmFaP2P5nI/AAAAAAAAAIk/sMHG60tYw6k/s1600/belfastnorthdemographs2.jpg

Seeing these sights for myself, and knowing how corrupt and inept our politicians are, I couldn't help but understand why there is still widespread support amongst large sections of the loyalist communities for the Ulster Volunteer Force and the Ulster Defence Association, not that I endorse or condone their past activities. However, if the Police Service of Northern Ireland are unable to effectively police some areas of the country, how can they be expected to guarantee the safety of Unionists? The following is an extract from the BBC's website:

Derry City Council is to employ a private security firm to open and close security gates around the city walls.

The decision was taken after the police said it was too dangerous for their officers due to an increased dissident republican threat.

After the recent shootings over there, I couldn't help recall the words of a taxi driver after I asked him if The Troubles were over for good. "These bastards will never let it lie", he said, "not until they've got their Irish Republic". Rather prescient, or more likely obvious, considering today's (13th March '09) statement by the Real IRA's political wing:

The Real IRA's political wing has warned its "conflict" will not end unless Britain renounces its claim to sovereignty over Northern Ireland.

The 32-County Sovereignty Movement issued the statement after the Real IRA murdered two soldiers at Massereene barracks in Antrim last Saturday.

Shortly preceding the Battle of the Boyne, was the Siege of Londonderry in which the Catholic King James II and his army encircled the city's walls and called on the inhabitants to surrender the city to him. He was rebuffed and so the city was beseiged for 105 days, which led to the deaths of around half the city, some 4,000 people! It is said the others survived by eating rats, dogs, horses, and legend has it, that one relatively plump citizen was frightened to leave his dwelling for fear of being eaten! Yet the people refused to succumb, their cry was "No Surrender!"

The Siege of Londonderry is a fitting analogy for the loyalist people of Ulster today, a people who are beseiged by hostile foes, yet will not surrender.

stormlord
03-13-2009, 07:20 PM
It's sad really, I've never seen greater loyalty less deserved. The British government seems to see Ulster as an inconvenient embarrassment, they'd sell them out without a second thought, the same as they tried to do to the Falklanders and Gibraltarians.

Cenél nEógain
03-19-2009, 05:57 PM
This forum is turning into an online Lodge.

British and Proud
03-19-2009, 06:43 PM
This forum is turning into an online Lodge.

Really? The forum owners won't even acknowledge that Northern Ireland is a seperate state - the flag used is that of the Irish Republic, and the name Eire also is used politically to describe the aforementioned Republic.

However, ostensibly this is a forum for the island of Ireland, and therefore it is here that one is supposed to discuss matters relating to both states. Seeing as the recent history of Northern Ireland has been dominated by the troubles, it seems only right that they should be discussed here.

Loki
03-19-2009, 07:08 PM
The forum owners won't even acknowledge that Northern Ireland is a seperate state

That's not true and you know it.

- the flag used is that of the Irish Republic, and the name Eire also is used politically to describe the aforementioned Republic.

However, ostensibly this is a forum for the island of Ireland, and therefore it is here that one is supposed to discuss matters relating to both states. Seeing as the recent history of Northern Ireland has been dominated by the troubles, it seems only right that they should be discussed here.

Yes. The only reason there is only one Ireland forum, is because we did not think Northern Ireland, being such a small enclave, justified a dedicated forum. However, if you guys have lots of stuff to post, I have no problems with creating a Northern Ireland-specific forum.

Loki
03-19-2009, 07:13 PM
There you go:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109

British and Proud
03-19-2009, 08:39 PM
There you go:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109

Thanks very much, Loki. Personally I take a keen interest in Northern Ireland, and I for one intend to contribute to this forum on a regular basis.

Gooding
03-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Awesome!Fantastic! At last a forum for the Northern Irish.:thumb001: I am quite eager to begin posting and the topics thus far look extremely interesting.Thank you, BritishandProud, for bringing these topics up and thank you, Loki and Arctic Fox, for creating this area of the forum!

Vulpix
03-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Really? The forum owners won't even acknowledge that Northern Ireland is a seperate state - the flag used is that of the Irish Republic, and the name Eire also is used politically to describe the aforementioned Republic.

You made the wrong assumption :confused:. It's not about not acknowledging Northern Ireland.
I am quite frankly not familiar at all with the sociopolitical situation there, and I simply haven't had the time to look into your suggestion into depth. Sorry. Nothing against eitherway.

British and Proud
03-19-2009, 11:45 PM
You made the wrong assumption :confused:. It's not about not acknowledging Northern Ireland.
I am quite frankly not familiar at all with the sociopolitical situation there, and I simply haven't had the time to look into your suggestion into depth. Sorry. Nothing against eitherway.

Sorry for being presumptious and making false allegations. You must understand, however, that a lot of people simply refuse to acknowledge Northern Ireland, seeing it as 'the occupied six counties' which is outrageous considering the Ulster-Scots have been living there for centuries.

Loki
03-19-2009, 11:49 PM
You must understand, however, that a lot of people simply refuse to acknowledge Northern Ireland, seeing it as 'the occupied six counties' which is outrageous considering the Ulster-Scots have been living there for centuries.

Yes, and I think not many people are aware of the ethnic background. All you hear about is "religious sectarianism", but the problems of that region run deeper than merely religion.

British and Proud
03-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Yes, and I think not many people are aware of the ethnic background. All you hear about is "religious sectarianism", but the problems of that region run deeper than merely religion.

Indeed, many unionists are no longer religious - they just wish to remian part of the United Kingdom. The Republic of Ireland has been described as a theocracy, and it is understandable that many people, religious or not, would not want unification.

If you have a look at another thread and see how the demographics relating to religion (Protestantism vs Catholicism) changed since 1922 in the Republic, it is not hard to see why loyalists are reluctant to embrace unification.

The fact is Northern Ireland costs Westminster £9 billion every year in subsidies, is a united Ireland really viable?

Gooding
03-22-2009, 02:19 AM
In one word:No. Not without more rioting and massacres.