PDA

View Full Version : Young people unhappy with their jobs

The Ripper
07-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Young Finns are dissatisfied with their jobs, according to fresh findings from the research firm EPSI Rating. Employee satisfaction increases with age. The most contented workers held positions that allowed for self-fulfilment.

New data shows that 25 percent of young people dislike their jobs, but satisfaction grows markedly after employees hit the age of 40. Over 55-year-olds enjoy their positions most.

This led the researchers to theorise that extending working life could bring good results. On the other hand, issues relating to the unhappy young employees—such as whether they will ever gain satisfaction or do well in their careers—concern researchers.

The ones least satisfied with their jobs work in industry and communications. Those most satisfied work in primary production, the arts, entertainment and leisure sector and in finance and insurance.

Self-fulfilment, feeling appreciated at work and being paid well were found to be among the most important criteria for job satisfaction.

These findings are based on randomised interviews with 3,000 employed Finns.

YLE (http://yle.fi/uutiset/news/2011/07/young_people_unhappy_with_their_jobs_2706927.html)

Grumpy Cat
07-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Oh suck it up. Life sucks, get a helmet.

Mind you, I am lucky enough to have a job that I really enjoy. But I worked some crap jobs before that. I made a thread about it way back, where I encouraged other people to share the worst jobs they ever had.

antonio
07-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Finnish problem has a easy diagnosis: too much studies for too many people. You simply cannot take an individual with big Mathematical skills, for example, and put him to serve hamburguers. That's an issue that Socialdemocratic ways about Society and Education has yet to explain.:coffee:

Ps. I could not hate my job because it's almost unexistent: just be here from 9 or 10 to 2 (maybe later depending on week balances) and if they ever need a really in-deep expertize on IT they can count of me. Rare cases. Obviously I earns less than 1000 euros/month, but I suppose Im a luxury that Spanish gov can afford. Anycase we Public Servants at Spain have a privileged status so cannot be fired unless really bad behaviour (like killing or raping coworkers, consuming heroine at public, etc...) :D

Lahtari
07-11-2011, 03:54 PM
New data shows that 25 percent of young people dislike their jobs, but satisfaction grows markedly after employees hit the age of 40. Over 55-year-olds enjoy their positions most.

This led the researchers to theorise that extending working life could bring good results.

Isn't this just natural? Young people who are in the beginning of their careers usually have more shitty jobs with more shitty wages, are often still studying, etc. Older people who have established themselves better in their professions and have lots of experience are naturally more well-paid and apprecciated. But extending their careers as a solution of the young being dissatisfied sounds just plainly moronic. It would just decrease the possibilities for the young to get good jobs.

BeerBaron
07-11-2011, 04:15 PM
:blink: There are people that enjoy their jobs? WTF

Reminds me of this line "son if you work hard, go to college and get a degree you will GET to do something you enjoy for a living"

GET! Like I should be thankful that I provide a necessary skill to a company and GET to be compensated for it, oh lucky me.