PDA

View Full Version : My FTDNA results

wisteria
07-30-2019, 04:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/86pcCy6.jpg
Just got these results...Kind of suprised by how much West and Central Europe they gave me.

farke1
07-30-2019, 04:49 PM
Nice results. Is the Scandinavian unexpected?

Matxe92
07-30-2019, 04:55 PM
Nice result. NW EU mutt basically.

wisteria
07-30-2019, 04:58 PM
Nice results. Is the Scandinavian unexpected?
Thanks! :)

That much is. I don’t have any known recent Scandinavian ancestry. It’d be pretty far back. Myheritage gives me about
10% and 23andme gave me 3.6% initially but after the beta update I have 1.2%. Ancestry gave my sister something like 46% Scandinavian which is why I decided to do 23andme. I didn’t see how that could be accurate.

Matxe92
07-30-2019, 05:12 PM
Thanks! :)

That much is. I don’t have any known recent Scandinavian ancestry. It’d be pretty far back. Myheritage gives me about
10% and 23andme gave me 3.6% initially but after the beta update I have 1.2%. Ancestry gave my sister something like 46% Scandinavian which is why I decided to do 23andme. I didn’t see how that could be accurate.

NW coastal europeans get british and brits get scandinavian etc. Tests aren't good enough yet to properly divide them, it's normal.

farke1
07-30-2019, 05:34 PM
That's quite a large difference between you and your sister. Was that before last year's update? I found my Scandinavian got overestimated before and now gets underestimated slightly, although it's much better than it was. Also Matxe92 is essentially correct that it's normal for people from the British Isles to get trace amounts of Scandinavian but 18% is much higher than is typical. I wondered if it is your Manx ancestry which is inflating it slightly, as the Scandinavians settled in the Isle of Man and the population has remained very homogeneous ever since; but it could just be the calculator being weird I suppose.

wisteria
07-30-2019, 06:51 PM
That's quite a large difference between you and your sister. Was that before last year's update? I found my Scandinavian got overestimated before and now gets underestimated slightly, although it's much better than it was.
It was last summer when she sent me a picture of her results, maybe July. I just text her and asked her, but she hasn’t got back to me yet. I suspect she hasnt looked at it in a while. Maybe I can convince her to upload her raw data to gedmatch.

Also Matxe92 is essentially correct that it's normal for people from the British Isles to get trace amounts of Scandinavian but 18% is much higher than is typical. I wondered if it is your Manx ancestry which is inflating it slightly, as the Scandinavians settled in the Isle of Man and the population has remained very homogeneous ever since; but it could just be the calculator being weird I suppose.
Yeah, I expect to get some maybe. It was my 3rd great grandfather that was Manx, so I’m not sure if he could have that much influence. But I did wonder that too. I’d love to see some 100% Manx results. I’ve yet to find any.

nittionia
07-30-2019, 06:54 PM
Ftdna, MyHeritage, and Ancestrydna absolutely sucked for me. 23andme was the only company to be even close to accurate.

Matxe92
07-30-2019, 07:08 PM
Also Matxe92 is essentially correct that it's normal for people from the British Isles to get trace amounts of Scandinavian but 18% is much higher than is typical.

You sure? 18% doesn't sound crazy to me, atleast from a danish perspective, cause many of my danish matches get 10-50% English.
I guess the tests lean more towards calling actual scandinavian/NW coast heritage for "english" rather than the other way around, so that the inaccuracy is worse for coastal europeans versus brits. (Hope u understand what i mean)

farke1
07-30-2019, 07:08 PM
It was last summer when she sent me a picture of her results, maybe July. I just text her and asked her, but she hasn’t got back to me yet. I suspect she hasnt looked at it in a while. Maybe I can convince her to upload her raw data to gedmatch.
That'd be interesting to see, indeed. Afaik the last major Ancestry update was in September, so she was probably still on the old genotyping chip - I had close to 40% Scandinavian on that one too. If she does upload her data to GEDMatch it'd be interesting to see a comparison between the two kits, and your K36 map.

Yeah, I expect to get some maybe. It was my 3rd great grandfather that was Manx, so I’m not sure if he could have that much influence. But I did wonder that too. I’d love to see some 100% Manx results. I’ve yet to find any.
True, I think that's too far back - on average only about 3% of a 3x great grandparent's autosomal DNA would show on these tests. Could also possibly be the German getting mislabelled too, I suppose. I'd also like to see more Manx results as I think it's a very understudied and highly diverse region considering its size. The Manx Y-DNA project (https://www.familytreedna.com/public/ManxYDNA/?iframe=ydnacolor) is quite interesting though; a high number of these haplogroups indicate a possible Scandinavian origin. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until companies like Ancestry or 23andme are able to include it as a standalone region/genetic community.

Ftdna, MyHeritage, and Ancestrydna absolutely sucked for me. 23andme was the only company to be even close to accurate.
I agree that FTDNA and MyHeritage (aka the "everyone gets Finnish and/or Sardinian regardless of their origin" test) are garbage, but Ancestry is generally pretty good for most people. Did you try Ancestry before or after the last update? I think it's improved a lot over the past year.

farke1
07-30-2019, 07:12 PM
You sure? 18% doesn't sound crazy to me, atleast from a danish perspective, cause many of my danish matches get 10-50% English.
I guess the tests lean more towards calling actual scandinavian/NW coast heritage for "english" rather than the other way around, so that the inaccuracy is worse for coastal europeans versus brits. (Hope u understand what i mean)
It's not "crazy" I suppose, but I'd still say that it's higher than is typical. Ancestry released some figures for the average percentages of certain ethnicities based on people's locations in the British Isles (I'll try and find the article I'm talking about in a second - edit: here's the article (https://www.ancestry.com/corporate/international/press-releases/DNA-of-the-nation-revealedand-were-not-as-British-as-we-think)) and as far as I remember the highest averaged score was for people in the East Midlands, who scored around 10% Scandinavian on average. I agree that the problem is worse for Danish people though, I've seen many Danish people revealing their DNA test results on YouTube and they all seem to get a ridiculously high amount of English and NW European. I'd imagine it's the high frequency of people testing from the British Isles that skews the results for others somewhat, but I'm not sure.

nittionia
07-30-2019, 07:12 PM
I agree that FTDNA and MyHeritage (aka the "everyone gets Finnish and/or Sardinian regardless of their origin" test) are garbage, but Ancestry is generally pretty good for most people. Did you try Ancestry before or after the last update? I think it's improved a lot over the past year.

I did ancestry in 2014 I think. It has updated my results since then but it's still way off for me. I wonder if it's because my kit is older than most people's?

Matxe92
07-30-2019, 07:17 PM
It's not "crazy" I suppose, but I'd still say that it's higher than is typical. Ancestry released some figures for the average percentages of certain ethnicities based on people's locations in the British Isles (I'll try and find the article I'm talking about in a second - edit: here's the article (https://www.ancestry.com/corporate/international/press-releases/DNA-of-the-nation-revealedand-were-not-as-British-as-we-think)) and as far as I remember the highest averaged score was for people in the East Midlands, who scored around 10% Scandinavian on average. I agree that the problem is worse for Danish people though, I've seen many Danish people revealing their DNA test results on YouTube and they all seem to get a ridiculously high amount of English and NW European. I'd imagine it's the high frequency of people testing from the British Isles that skews the results for others somewhat, but I'm not sure.

Oh really, please find it i would love to see it.

Well, could also be that danes and especially danes with jutish ancestry have a high atlantic genetic component which is associated with britain that is the underlying reason for the high frequency of NW atlantic heritage in tests. We are primarily scandinavian obviously, but don't be surprised to see danes get 50/50 split scandinavian/nweuro. Seen it numerous times.

farke1
07-30-2019, 07:17 PM
I did ancestry in 2014 I think. It has updated my results since then but it's still way off for me. I wonder if it's because my kit is older than most people's?
Oh wow. That's before I was really into genetics and so on so I can't really give you a definite answer, but it's possible that they haven't updated their very old genotyping chips I suppose (23andme users on the V3 + V4 chips don't have beta results right now, for example). In my case, I tested in July 2018 and then I got an update the following September - and the update was way more accurate for me. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can answer your question. :)

farke1
07-30-2019, 07:20 PM
Oh really, please find it i would love to see it.

Well, could also be that danes and especially danes with jutish ancestry have a high atlantic genetic component which is associated with britain that is the underlying reason for the high frequency of NW atlantic heritage in tests. We are primarily scandinavian obviously, but don't be surprised to see danes get 50/50 split scandinavian/nweuro. Seen it numerous times.
Updated my post. :) I think you're right, and particularly the Danes of Jutish origin are probably closer to the original unmixed Anglo-Saxons than many modern day British people, who have had extensive Celtic and Romance influence. I suppose it makes sense that many Danes score highly for English and NW European DNA, but I do wonder how companies like 23andme are able to distinguish the DNA more accurately and sort Danish into its own category while other companies can't.

Annihilus
07-30-2019, 07:22 PM
FTDNA's myOrigins is pure crap imo.

Matxe92
07-30-2019, 07:25 PM
Updated my post. :) I think you're right, and particularly the Danes of Jutish origin are probably closer to the original unmixed Anglo-Saxons than many modern day British people, who have had extensive Celtic and Romance influence. I suppose it makes sense that many Danes score highly for English and NW European DNA, but I do wonder how companies like 23andme are able to distinguish the DNA more accurately and sort Danish into its own category while other companies can't.

Do you have a 100% dane 23andme result you can show?

farke1
07-30-2019, 07:28 PM
Do you have a 100% dane 23andme result you can show?
As in scoring 100% Denmark, sadly no. That'd be quite a spectacle, though. Here's the result from a guy who claims to be '100% Danish' and from Jutland, though: https://you.23andme.com/published/reports/df51be738ef74830/?share_id=6477779c6c2647fc

Matxe92
07-30-2019, 07:31 PM
As in scoring 100% Denmark, sadly no. That'd be quite a spectacle, though. Here's the result from a guy who claims to be '100% Danish' and from Jutland, though: https://you.23andme.com/published/reports/df51be738ef74830/?share_id=6477779c6c2647fc

Yea i meant as in 100% danish on the papertrail. Is there a chance you could snapshot it and post his results, cause it requires me to create and account etc..

farke1
07-30-2019, 07:36 PM
Yea i meant as in 100% danish on the papertrail. Is there a chance you could snapshot it and post his results, cause it requires me to create and account etc..
No problem. Sorry that we derailed your thread a little, OP; but I'll leave it here in case anyone else stumbles across it and is interested.

https://i.imgur.com/lUm2C1N.png

edit: Just for the record I don't know this person, but I don't think it's necessary to blur out their name/avatar as they shared it with their name publicly visible on reddit.

Leto
07-30-2019, 07:55 PM
From their website
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/user-guide/family-finder-myftdna/myorigins-population-clusters/

West and Central Europe

The West and Central Europe cluster consists of present day countries of France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, and Germany. Modern humans began to populate West and Central Europe toward the end of the last ice age when the ice sheets north of the Mediterranean coast began to retreat.

Due to ancient interactions and exchanges with cultures from the British Isles, Scandinavia, Asia, and Africa, this cluster displays an incredible history of migration, invasion, and colonization resulting in continual shared genetic, cultural, and linguistic relatedness with nearly all of the other European clusters.

Long distance travel between continental Europe and populations in the British Isles are illustrated by the shared knowledge of specific pottery and metalworking technologies. Through analysis of his teeth, remains of an individual (the Amesbury Archer) buried around 2000 BCE near Stonehenge in England was proven to have grown up in mainland Europe, thus illustrating the close connections between these two clusters.

The development of complex city-states was first established along the southern coastlines of France. Colonies of Greek, Phoenician, and Carthaginian settlers were the first to establish these complex societies; Roman colonies were quick to follow transferring cultural practices, such as the importance of wine drinking for the elites in central and eastern France.

To the north, barbarian tribes maintained semi-nomadic settlements throughout most of the cluster. By roughly 300 CE, Jutes, Angles, and Saxons, having originated in Scandinavia, were pushed westward by invading forces from Attila the Hun, further intensifying tension between the Romans and the barbarian tribes. With Germanic tribes being pushed out of eastern Europe as well, Slavic speaking peoples settled in their wake, occupying areas leading up to east Germany. Continual raids from various European and Asian groups ended the Roman occupation of this area by roughly 500 CE. During this time period, these various groups continued migration to further reaches of land once unified by Rome. These regions included Northern Italy, most of Britain, modern day France, and Spain; they also conquered most of Northern Africa, Sardinia, and Rome in the process.

It is after this migration that populations within this cluster began to establish complex and diverse civilizations that are later recognized as some of the most powerful and influential cultures in the world. These ancient histories continue to influence identities and histories of present day populations in this cluster.

Scandinavia

The Scandinavia cluster consists of present day Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. Due to the remaining ice sheets from the last Ice Age, modern humans did not permanently settle in this region until roughly 9000 BCE. During this time, Denmark and Sweden were connected via a land bridge that enabled migration from continental Europe to the Scandinavian Peninsula roughly 13,000 years ago.

These early hunter-gatherer populations settled along the waterways—lakes, marshes, and rivers. By 6000 BCE, the Ertebolle peoples had established complex hunter-gatherer settlements and seasonal camps along the coastlines. The cultural and technological achievements of these peoples are paralleled in regions of the North European plains stretching eastward to regions in Ukraine and Siberia.

By 2500 BCE, local populations in this cluster had begun farming and soon established strong trade links with continental Europe. These were particularly robust with populations along the Danube River basin stretching from present day Moldova, west to Germany, and south to the Roman Empire.

Chieftain tribes ruled ancient Scandinavia, and the Viking Age was born around 800 CE in the bay between the Gotta River in Sweden and Cape Lindesnes of Norway. Between 800 and 900 CE, Viking populations had taken control of trade from the Dnieper River to the Baltic Sea and Constantinople, connecting them to populations as far away as the Middle East, Western Russia, and Siberia to the east. During the Viking Age (800–1050 CE), Vikings spread from Scandinavia as far west as North America and east to Russia, raiding and colonizing any settlements that were in their path from Ireland and Scotland to England, France, Iceland, and Greenland. Viking populations moving into the east maintained control in the Slavic states along the Baltic Sea, Russia, and Steppe regions until they were forced out by invading Mongol armies.

By the 11th century CE, the Viking Age had ended, and the powers of Sweden, Denmark, and Norway battled for control of the Scandinavian cluster. In 1397, the Kalmar Union unified the three powers until the early 16th century CE.

British Isles

Modern humans arrived on the British Isles roughly 40,000 years ago via a land bridge that connected these islands to continental Europe. Early hunter-gatherer populations were able to navigate into and out of this region until roughly 6000 BCE when melting ice sheets caused sea levels to rise and the connection was severed between the populations within the British Isles and continental Europe. Farming occurred largely as an indigenous adaptation with little evidence of acquiring this technology from surrounding colonizing regions. Small agricultural communities are even recorded as the primary lifestyle by Roman invaders in the early 1st century CE.

By the second millennium BCE, trade relationships spread, and under the control of the Chieftains of Wessex, trade routes spanned from Ireland into central and eastern continental Europe via waterways. The wealth amassed from this intensified trade likely enabled the Wessex Chieftains to begin construction on what would grow to become Stonehenge. These trade practices further solidified a deep genetic connection with populations in the West and Central Europe cluster and areas of Scandinavia.

By 43 CE, Roman forces had conquered Britain. However, by 500 CE, Germanic tribes (originating in present day Scandinavia and eastern Europe) and Asian forces toppled the Roman Empire, and the subsequent continental European expansions brought Saxon tribes into the British Isles. Powers in the British Isles also conscripted mercenary populations from continental Europe. The Saxons, Angles, and Jutes came over to support Briton forces defending against the Picts and Scots in the 6th century CE.

Starting in the late 8th century CE, the British Isles were invaded and settled by Viking parties during the Viking expansion. Normandy later invaded and solidified cultural and economic connections between the British Isles and continental Europe. To this day, these ancient occupations and trading practices left a lasting impression on the genetic relatedness between populations in the British Isles cluster and Southeast Europe, Scandinavia, and West and Central Europe clusters.

The 'West and Central Europe' cluster is primarily Western European (France, Switzerland, Belgium, SW Germany) and to a lesser extent Central (East Germany/Austria/Czechia).

wisteria
07-31-2019, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I feel like MyHeritage has sucked for me the worst so far. I haven’t tried Ancestry yet, but I’d like to eventually.
23andme does seem the most accurate so far imo.

wisteria
07-31-2019, 12:48 AM
That'd be interesting to see, indeed. Afaik the last major Ancestry update was in September, so she was probably still on the old genotyping chip - I had close to 40% Scandinavian on that one too. If she does upload her data to GEDMatch it'd be interesting to see a comparison between the two kits, and your K36 map.
She said last she checked it was mostly Scandinavian...38% Scandinavian/30% Great Britain /17% Ireland/Scotland/Wales. I told her to check again. She doesn’t sound very enthusiastic so I’m not very hopeful lol.

The Manx Y-DNA project (https://www.familytreedna.com/public/ManxYDNA/?iframe=ydnacolor) is quite interesting though; a high number of these haplogroups indicate a possible Scandinavian origin. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until companies like Ancestry or 23andme are able to include it as a standalone region/genetic community.

Yeah, that is interesting. I had been folllowing that project myself. It would be nice if they added the Isle of Man.

Sorry that we derailed your thread a little, OP; but I'll leave it here in case anyone else stumbles across it and is interested.

ha, NP. It’s kind of relevant, but very interesting. I don’t mind :)

Here’s my K36 Map
https://i.imgur.com/ciShGZs.jpg

farke1
07-31-2019, 12:56 AM
She said last she checked it was mostly Scandinavian...38% Scandinavian/30% Great Britain /17% Ireland/Scotland/Wales. I told her to check again. She doesn’t sound very enthusiastic so I’m not very hopeful lol.
Don't give up hope just yet :) that's an old estimate for sure, since 'Ireland/Scotland/Wales' got converted to 'Ireland & Scotland' in the last update and 'Scandinavian' now no longer exists, now it gets broken down by country. I can't remember how I got my new result, but I'm sure that there must be an option to enable beta results somewhere in the settings (assuming that she's not on an extremely old genotyping chip, as I'm not sure if Ancestry are actively rolling out updates for those people yet) - sometimes even re-clicking 'Ethnicity & Origins' triggers the site to refresh the latest data for me. Either way, there's allegedly a new ethnicity breakdown coming for everyone by the end of the year, so it will be interesting to see what that brings.

Here’s my K36 Map
https://i.imgur.com/ciShGZs.jpg
Nice map, looks similar to my father's. Would be interesting to see your sister's map compared against yours, to see if she's really as Scandi-shifted as Ancestry would have her believe. :)

wisteria
07-31-2019, 11:38 AM
Would be interesting to see your sister's map compared against yours, to see if she's really as Scandi-shifted as Ancestry would have her believe. :)
Lol yes, would be interesting :) If I can get her to join gedmatch, I’ll post.