PDA

View Full Version : Y-chromosome link to Cro Magnons?

The Journeyman
07-08-2011, 09:22 PM
It seems that MtDNA Haplogroup N is related to Cro Magnons, but is there a direct paternal lineage that traces back to Cro Magnon man?

Logan
07-08-2011, 09:24 PM
It seems that MtDNA Haplogroup N is related to Cro Magnons, but is there a direct paternal lineage that traces back to Cro Magnon man?

I

safinator
07-08-2011, 09:26 PM
I is thought to be derived from CM

Agrippa
07-08-2011, 09:38 PM

What do you mean with Cro Magnon man? If you mean the first Proto-Europoids in Europe or the Cromagnoid variants which were dominant to Mesolithic times in various parts of Europe, especially before, during and shortly after the last Ice Age, N is not specific enough for the mtDNA, because it is such a major group.
Actually U4 and U5 are good candidates for Cro-Magnon related mtDNA-haplogroups it seems...

Talking about facts, these are actual results from human remains of various periods. As you can see, especially U4 and U5 were common among the Mesolithic inhabitants of Europe tested so far and generally U in the Palaeolithic period:
http://www.buildinghistory.org/distantpast/ancientdna.shtml

Note the huge change in the Neolithic and subsequent periods.

The yDNA results are still meagre to say it nice, so a lot of speculation...

Logan
07-08-2011, 09:42 PM
What do you mean with Cro Magnon man? If you mean the first Proto-Europoids in Europe or the Cromagnoid variants which were dominant to Mesolithic times in various parts of Europe, especially before, during and shortly after the last Ice Age, N is not specific enough for the mtDNA, because it is such a major group.
Actually U4 and U5 are good candidates for Cro-Magnon related mtDNA-haplogroups it seems...

Talking about facts, these are actual results from human remains of various periods. As you can see, especially U4 and U5 were common among the Mesolithic inhabitants of Europe tested so far and generally U in the Palaeolithic period:
http://www.buildinghistory.org/distantpast/ancientdna.shtml

Note the huge change in the Neolithic and subsequent periods.

The yDNA results are still meagre to say it nice, so a lot of speculation...

Good reference.

Pallantides
07-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Two Cro's they tested back in 2003 came back as mtDNA N

A 2003 sequencing on two Cro-Magnons, 23,000 and 24,000 years old Paglicci 52 and Paglicci 12, mitochondrial DNA, published by an Italo-Spanish research team led by David Caramelli, identified the mtDNA as Haplogroup N.

Agrippa
07-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Two Cro's they tested back in 2003 came back as mtDNA N

Well, but they most likely meant the macro-haplogroup:

In human mitochondrial genetics, Haplogroup N is a human mitochondrial DNA haplogroup. An enormous haplogroup spanning many continents, the macro-haplogroup N

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_N_(mtDNA)

They were just unable to make a further distinction - when such a differentiation was made, the daughter line U was most of the time the result in Pre-Neolithic times.

I'm pretty sure the macro-haplogroup was already split at that time...

Aldaris
04-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Haplogroup I is hardly CM exlusive. Some of the subclades have been found among some of the neolithic immigrants (for example the megalithic people). Furthemore, the distribution of I doesn't correspond with distribution of U and in the case of Balkans of H. The Mal'ta boy (found in Russia, but the Mal'ta-Buret' culture has been related to CM cultures in Europe) actually had haplogroup R*. Overall, I think, cro-magnons had either I and R + some C.

I've Her Son
06-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Cro Magnon DNA has never been tested before; and a great deal of the material of the upper paleolithic time period (such as Predmosti) was destroyed by Nazi saboteurs.
The mesolithic archaeological record is almost non existent. Cremation must have been prevalent during this time period.
We do not and likely will never know what their haplogroups were; and haplogroups would be irrelevant given the low genetic variation of the time period.
Europeans today share more similarities with Neanderthal than Cro Magnon. Cro Magnon was a mutation of Neanderthal, not an African immigrant as commonly theorized.