PDA

View Full Version : What to call the 'British Isles'?

Bellbeaking
08-15-2019, 10:18 PM
The Pair of Islands in question is often called the British Isles because Britain is the largest and most populous Island, and occupied the whole region historically. the Greeks may have referred to them as something similar (pretani - or something). Pro 'British Isles' folk might claim Britain is the largest Island in the region, and Irish people are sort of 'British' in the sense that they come from Britain and where part of it for a long time. The Irish users on here don't mind the term much because they are thinking in Genetic terms and NW Euros are similar enough for them not to care. However many Irish people do not like this term. Irish people are not and never where ethnically Britannic unlike the other nations of the Islands. They also feel it is a remnant of an era of colonialism and oppression. This term is contentious and some have proposed we change it to something else? But what?

What would you call these Islands? what is a good name for them? Answer Below in comments! Some thoughts from me:

-Beaker Islands: Named after the Proto NW Indo Europeans that layed the foundation for the genetics of Brits. This is a heritage shared by both Brits and Irish. Also an ancient culture that will not be relevant to feuds in recent history. CON(S): Bell Beaker culture started in Spain, when people ask why the islands are called the beaker Isles the most succinct response would be to explain that it is named after a culture that began in Iberia and spread to the British Isles. This would further perpetuate the idea that Brits descend from Iberia genetically. Many will have heard of Sykes/Oppenheimers work (or Victorian theories) like R1b out of Iberia and will sort of put to and two together in their brain which will reinforce ides of a Iberian origin subconsciously and consciously. Nordicist and aryanist types like survive the jive would dislike this because of the belief in neolithic inferiority or lack of romanticism surrounding them. It would irritate those of us who just dislike widespread falsehoods and myths, and I think my close friend Cristiano Viejo would prefer not to be associated with our alcoholism and degeneracy.

- Corded Islands: After the corded ware culture that British people descend from. It is a bit far removed though, as brits are not direct corded ware people but an offshoot that become the beakers. It might not sound good too. IDK. Corded ware culture was distinctively and notoriously Indo European which would reduce confusion about our origins.

-Yamnaya Isles: Refers to the people who have provided a plurality of English and a majority of Irish DNA. Leftists may not like a name that is explicitly linked to genetic heritage. You would have to sell it to them as a cultural/linguistic link. They still may not like the potential association with Aryanism, Kurganism or Nazism. This may apply to beaker and Corded Isles too; too ethnocentric for the modern Establishments of Britain and Ireland. They would prefer 'Inclusive Isles' or something lolz. Not that it matters anyway because we are not going to actually change the name of the Isles but hypothetically, for the fun of the thread we must consider such things.

- Atlantic Isles: cos of geography. Boring but reasonable. Sounds quite nice, easy to say, rolls of the tongue.

- Celtic Isles: Seems OK as all parts of the Isles have been Celtic language speakers, but would reinforce the idea of a simplistic celt/anglo-saxon model of British Genetic History. I have seen many people incorrectly claim that England is really a Celtic country. The Isles where a peripheral part of Celtic Europe and only harbour minor to moderate amounts of Celtic DNA. Although the British Isles is the place that comes to mind when one think of 'Celts' perhaps it would be right to not further the British monopoly on the notion of Celticness. The true descendants of Celts like North Italians, Austrians, Swiss, Germans etc might want to claim more association with them, we don't wanna steal the limelight too much, ya kno?. If the out of central Europe model turns out to wrong of course this paragraph should be revised

- Magdalelian Isles? Did British WHG even belong to this culture? IDK. Megalith Isles after the megaliths IDK. DUMB.

- NorthWestern Isles. Boring but straightforward.

- AngloCeltic Isles. Referring to the Insular celts and Anglos. Too long perhaps? Runs into the same problem with celticness discussed above.

- Lion Isles - Britain and Ireland play together as the British and Irish Lions in rugby.

- North Sea Isles. I am not sure Ireland is in the North sea proper

- Island Isles - why not?

- The Pleasant Isles (lol)- makes it seem nice :) ok maybe we are a shithole, still cool because irony is cool.

- BrittanoGaelic Isles?

Come up with a name and post below or comment on mine. Which is your favorite?

Ülev
08-15-2019, 10:21 PM
Albion or Albania, I don't know

Ayetooey
08-15-2019, 10:21 PM
Atlantic isles.

nittionia
08-15-2019, 10:22 PM
Huwhite isles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheOldNorth
08-15-2019, 10:25 PM
the celtic isles, even the british are part celtic in blood, and it matches with the name of the celtic sea region just southwest of the isles

Ayetooey
08-15-2019, 10:26 PM
the celtic isles, even the british are part celtic in blood, and it matches with the name of the celtic sea region just southwest of the isles

England has a germanic identity and our population dwarfs all the "celtic" populace combined. Celtic isles is probably the worst name out of the lot.

Bellbeaking
08-15-2019, 10:28 PM
Huwhite isles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SASUEbuCnzA/maxresdefault.jpg SKIN TYPE 2 IS THE LIMIT FOR ENTRY, NO GERMANOWOGS OR FINNIGGAS

Ülev
08-15-2019, 10:30 PM
do I pass?
https://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=89686&d=1564178733
I always burn in the sun :rolleyes:

Ayetooey
08-15-2019, 10:36 PM
do I pass?
https://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=89686&d=1564178733
I always burn in the sun :rolleyes:

You pass the light skin test. I'm borderline.

https://i.imgur.com/xgZlvAs.jpg

alnortedelsur
08-15-2019, 10:37 PM
British Isles (including Ireland as well) is just fine, since their original inhabitants were the Britons, and they are the main ancestors of modern Irish and British.

British have a considerable Germanic (Anglo Saxon) input, but still, a great part of their ancestry comes from Britons.

Bellbeaking
08-15-2019, 10:44 PM
British Isles (including Ireland as well) is just fine, since their original inhabitants were the Britons, and they are the main ancestors of modern Irish and British.

British have a considerable Germanic (Anglo Saxon) input, but still, a great part of their ancestry comes from Britons.

Yes there is no problem referring to Britain this way as they descend from Britons(beaker/celt mix). But Irish are Gaels rather than Britons from an ethno-linguistic perspective. They are closely related though which causes confusion for many people. I don't think Brythonic was ever spoken in Ireland.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/ec92a1_ef7a095093b74d0f9f68509a17971a58~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_735,h_414,al_c,lg_1,q_80/ec92a1_ef7a095093b74d0f9f68509a17971a58~mv2.webpTh is might be outdated but you get the idea

Dawnbringer
08-15-2019, 10:59 PM
The Avalonian Isles.

Avalonia was a Paleozoic Microcontinent which crustal fragments underlie the majority of Britain and Southern Ireland.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3b/Avalonia_in_Europe.jpg/800px-Avalonia_in_Europe.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Euramerica_en.svg

Unfortunately Scotland was part of the much larger continent Laurentia at the time, but the important thing is that parts of both the crust of Britain and Ireland were a part of Avalonia. That makes it fair as a collective name for the Isles.

alnortedelsur
08-15-2019, 11:00 PM
Yes there is no problem referring to Britain this way as they descend from Britons(beaker/celt mix). But Irish are Gaels rather than Britons from an ethno-linguistic perspective. They are closely related though which causes confusion for many people. I don't think Brythonic was ever spoken in Ireland.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/ec92a1_ef7a095093b74d0f9f68509a17971a58~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_735,h_414,al_c,lg_1,q_80/ec92a1_ef7a095093b74d0f9f68509a17971a58~mv2.webpTh is might be outdated but you get the idea

Then, looking at that graphic, Gaelic-Brithonic Isles would be more right, I guess.

TheOldNorth
08-15-2019, 11:01 PM
England has a germanic identity and our population dwarfs all the "celtic" populace combined. Celtic isles is probably the worst name out of the lot.

so what? I'm going by heritage, history, and culture over the majority of land, I think all those things trump a 'germanic identity' and 'the english outnumbering the celtic cultured peoples'

Ayetooey
08-15-2019, 11:05 PM
so what? I'm going by heritage, history, and culture over the majority of land, I think all those things trump a 'germanic identity' and 'the english outnumbering the celtic cultured peoples'

You claim to be going by heritage, history and culture yet you're ignoring the heritage, history and culture of the vast majority of the isles inhabitants. Population of Ireland/Wales/Scotland isn't even 25% of Englands. I'd rather name us the Germanic isles or the Anglo-Saxon isles if it's going to be like that; it'd be more relevant considering we're all speaking English here.

floooos
08-15-2019, 11:13 PM
North Atlantic Isles

Creoda
08-16-2019, 01:56 AM
British Isles is correct. That was the original geographical designation given to the island group by Greco-Roman cartogrphers. There's no reason to change an established geographical name based on nationalist feelings 2000 years later. Besides, the independent Irish identity is secure now, regardless of the term.

A lot of English and especially Scottish don't like to be called British either.

TheOldNorth
08-16-2019, 02:45 AM
You claim to be going by heritage, history and culture yet you're ignoring the heritage, history and culture of the vast majority of the isles inhabitants. Population of Ireland/Wales/Scotland isn't even 25% of Englands. I'd rather name us the Germanic isles or the Anglo-Saxon isles if it's going to be like that; it'd be more relevant considering we're all speaking English here.

English is very loosley germanic in classification, Latin and Greek words together outnumber the germanic words, and the grammar is somewhat influenced by early brythonnic, the English people are only somewhere between 25-60% anglo-saxon with most of the 40-60%ers being centered in east anglia, England may not speak celtic, but they sure as hell ain't purely or even near purely germanic in nature...

PaleoEuropean
08-16-2019, 03:11 AM
Britons are too diverse to be called anything but British

Mingle
08-16-2019, 05:03 AM
British Isles is correct. That was the original geographical designation given to the island group by Greco-Roman cartogrphers. There's no reason to change an established geographical name based on nationalist feelings 2000 years later. Besides, the independent Irish identity is secure now, regardless of the term.

Another thing to note is that the Pre-Gaelic inhabitants of Northern Ireland were called 'Cruthins'. The words 'Cruthin' and 'Britain' are most likely cognates. So a group of people in ancient Ireland referred to themselves as 'British' (with their own different pronunciation of it).

Also, I don't really see a problem with an entity expanding its definition based on how massively influential it is. The term 'Africa' originally only referred to part of North Africa and the term 'Asia' only originally referred to a portion of West Asia before these terms expanded their definitions. 'India/Bharat' only referred to the northwestern portion of India originally. And 'Europe' originally only referred to Thrace if we go back far enough yet I don't see any Irishmen protesting over being called 'European'. Heck, even the term British has changed definition. Originally, it only referred to Brythonic people and it wasn't until significantly after the English conquest of the land that they embraced the term for themselves. The term 'British' like the term 'European' has lost all ethnic context, so if the Irish are called British, then its from a purely geographic perspective without any threat to their identity.

Also, I never heard of any Brits protesting the name "Irish Sea" even though some of the UK's islands like the Isle of Man are in the Irish Sea.

I'm not sure if the term 'British Isles' was popularized by imperialists, but it doesn't really matter anymore since the term 'British Isles' is seldom used to stake territorial claims as you said.

A lot of English and especially Scottish don't like to be called British either.

Besides Scottish separatists, this seems hard to believe. Sure, they may consider themselves Scottish/English first and British second but that doesn't mean they don't like to be called British.

Creoda
08-16-2019, 06:03 AM
Besides Scottish separatists, this seems hard to believe. Sure, they may consider themselves Scottish/English first and British second but that doesn't mean they don't like to be called British.
Well, 'Scottish separatists' make up nearly half of their population, and yes, those people really do object to being called British in the political sense (even if they grudgingly accept it in a technical sense). Most English people are happy to identify as British, but like the Scots some people do (with some justification) see it as an affront to the English national identity, being that it is a largely artificial identity imposed by the state and media over the last 300 years, concurrently downplaying or disregarding the unique identities and histories of the UK's constituent nations. The BBC is at the forefront of this.

Britishness is also less popular than ever amongst the English as a result of the revival of Scottish/Welsh nationalism, devolution and the Scottish independence movement. You might notice that until about 1996 (just after the movie Braveheart incidentally), most supporters flags at England international matches were Union Jacks. Ever since then, it's nearly entirely St George's Crosses.

Grace O'Malley
08-16-2019, 10:24 AM
Another thing to note is that the Pre-Gaelic inhabitants of Northern Ireland were called 'Cruthins'. The words 'Cruthin' and 'Britain' are most likely cognates. So a group of people in ancient Ireland referred to themselves as 'British' (with their own different pronunciation of it).

Also, I don't really see a problem with an entity expanding its definition based on how massively influential it is. The term 'Africa' originally only referred to part of North Africa and the term 'Asia' only originally referred to a portion of West Asia before these terms expanded their definitions. 'India/Bharat' only referred to the northwestern portion of India originally. And 'Europe' originally only referred to Thrace if we go back far enough yet I don't see any Irishmen protesting over being called 'European'. Heck, even the term British has changed definition. Originally, it only referred to Brythonic people and it wasn't until significantly after the English conquest of the land that they embraced the term for themselves. The term 'British' like the term 'European' has lost all ethnic context, so if the Irish are called British, then its from a purely geographic perspective without any threat to their identity.

Also, I never heard of any Brits protesting the name "Irish Sea" even though some of the UK's islands like the Isle of Man are in the Irish Sea.

I'm not sure if the term 'British Isles' was popularized by imperialists, but it doesn't really matter anymore since the term 'British Isles' is seldom used to stake territorial claims as you said.

While personally it's not an issue for me as I do use British Isles for convenience a lot of Irish don't like the term and in Ireland they don't use it. They will say Britain and Ireland or "these Isles" etc. The reasons are due to the history of British colonialism in Ireland so I think it is understandable why some Irish people have an issue with this.

I have heard some people say the British/Irish Isles. There was also a suggestion to call them Islands of the North Atlantic (IONA).

https://www.thejournal.ie/is-ireland-british-isles-northern-ireland-europe-islands-1140112-Oct2013/

I'm personally not too fussed about it.

Mingle
08-16-2019, 05:01 PM
While personally it's not an issue for me as I do use British Isles for convenience a lot of Irish don't like the term and in Ireland they don't use it. They will say Britain and Ireland or "these Isles" etc. The reasons are due to the history of British colonialism in Ireland so I think it is understandable why some Irish people have an issue with this.

I have heard some people say the British/Irish Isles. There was also a suggestion to call them Islands of the North Atlantic (IONA).

https://www.thejournal.ie/is-ireland-british-isles-northern-ireland-europe-islands-1140112-Oct2013/

I'm personally not too fussed about it.

I think the real reason the Irish don't like the term British Isles is probably because the British have a significantly more negative global reputation than the Irish do and using the term British Isles intertwines Ireland with Great Britain even more, something they wouldn't want for the reason that I mentioned. That's my impression at least.

Although I prefer using the term "British Isles", if we were to ever change it, then it should be "Anglo-Celtic Isles", or "Avalonian Isles" like another user suggested. Or maybe "British-Irish Isles". Some of the terms used like "these isles" and "IONA" just sound beyond silly to me. For one, Ireland and GB are far from the only islands in the northern Atlantic.

Juno53
08-19-2019, 03:44 PM
QUOTE=Creoda;6189996]British Isles is correct. That was the original geographical designation given to the island group by Greco-Roman cartogrphers. There's no reason to change an established geographical name based on nationalist feelings 2000 years later. Besides, the independent Irish identity is secure now, regardless of the term.

A lot of English and especially Scottish don't like to be called British either.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I am Scottish because I am from the country of Scotland. Britain isn't a country, and neither is the UK. I have no problem at all with 'British Isles' as a geographical description.

Dawnbringer
08-19-2019, 04:11 PM
British Isles is correct. That was the original geographical designation given to the island group by Greco-Roman cartogrphers.

The original Greek name for the British Isles which Pytheas determined was actually the Pretanic Isles.

Britannia itself was not introduced as a name for the Isle of Great Britain until Caesar.

PaleoEuropean
08-19-2019, 04:42 PM

Most Americans even of Irish or Scottish descent call themselves English or British which is pretty funny. The only time they call themselves Irish or Scottish is if they have Mc or Mac in their name.

PaleoEuropean
08-19-2019, 04:45 PM
Britons are too diverse to be called anything but British

wrong thread

Dawnbringer
08-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Most Americans even of Irish or Scottish descent call themselves English or British which is pretty funny. The only time they call themselves Irish or Scottish is if they have Mc or Mac in their name.

Irish Catholic Americans do not call themselves English or British. Maybe your thinking of Scots-Irish Presbyterians.

Creoda
08-19-2019, 04:48 PM
The original Greek name for the British Isles which Pytheas determined was actually the Pretanic Isles.

Britannia itself was not used for the isle of Great Britain until Caesar.

The earliest known reference to the inhabitants of Britain seems to come from 4th-century BC records of the voyage of Pytheas, a Greek geographer who made a voyage of exploration around the British Isles between 330 and 320 BC. Although none of his own writings remain, writers during the time of the Roman Empire made much reference to them. Pytheas called the islands collectively αἱ Βρεττανίαι (hai Brettaniai), which has been translated as the Brittanic Isles; he also used the term Pretannike. The peoples of these islands were called the Πρεττανοί (Prettanoi), Priteni, Pritani or Pretani. The group included Ireland, which was referred to as Ierne (Insula sacra "sacred island" as the Greeks interpreted it) "inhabited by the race of Hiberni" (gens hibernorum), and Britain as insula Albionum, "island of the Albions".[8][9] The term Pritani may have reached Pytheas from the Gauls, who possibly used it as their term for the inhabitants of the islands.[9]
Brittanic Isles sounds good and could be used as an alternative, but it would draw the same complaints.

Brittanic is a more fitting title for British people and their diaspora than Germanic, Celtic, or 'Anglo', as I've said before. Brittanic meaning people from the Island of Britain and racially of that stock. Brittonic meaning speakers of Brythonic languages; historical Celtic Britons and the Welsh.

PaleoEuropean
08-19-2019, 04:53 PM
Irish Catholic Americans do not call themselves British or Irish. Maybe your thinking of Scots-Irish Presbyterians.

90% of Irish Americans have converted to Protestantism, the only Irish Catholics live in large cities, rare to find an Irish Catholic in average America.

♥ Lily ♥
08-19-2019, 05:04 PM
Albion is the ancient name for the main British Isle of Great Britain. (The reason why our island is called 'Great Britain' is due to it being the largest sized island within the thousands of British Isles.)

Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) has a total 6,289 islands, mostly in Scotland: http://www.sovereignty.org.uk/features/articles/uk6.html

Albion is an alternative name for the island of Great Britain. It is sometimes used poetically to refer to the island, but has fallen out of common use in English. The name for Scotland in most of the Celtic languages is related to Albion: Alba in Scottish Gaelic, Albain (genitive Alban) in Irish, Nalbin in Manx and Alban in Welsh and Cornish. These names were later Latinised as Albania and Anglicised as Albany, which were once alternative names for Scotland.

New Albion and Albionoria ("Albion of the North") were briefly suggested as names of Canada during the period of the Canadian Confederation. Arthur Phillip, first leader of the colonisation of Australia, originally named Sydney Cove "New Albion", but later the colony acquired the name "Sydney".

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/White_cliffs_of_dover_09_2004.jpg
The White Cliffs of Dover along the south coast of England may have given rise to the name Albion. (Sailors and travellers would recognise our island by the white cliffs along the coast.)

The Common Brittonic name for the island, Hellenised as Albíōn (Ἀλβίων) and Latinised as Albiōn (genitive Albionis), derives from the Proto-Celtic nasal stem *Albi̯iū (oblique *Albiion-) and survived in Old Irish as Albu (genitive Albann). The name originally referred to Britain as a whole, but was later restricted to Caledonia (giving the modern Scottish Gaelic name for Scotland, Alba). The root *albiio- is also found in Gaulish and Galatian albio- ("world") and Welsh elfydd (elbid, "earth, world, land, country, district"). It may be related to other European and Mediterranean toponyms such as Alpes, and Albania. It has two possible etymologies. It may derive from the Proto-Indo-European root *albho-, meaning "white" (cf. Latin albus). This is perhaps in reference to the white southern shores of the island, though Celtic linguist Xavier Delamarre argued that it originally meant "the world above, the visible world", in opposition to "the world below", i.e., the underworld. Alternatively it may derive from the Proto-Indo-European root *alb-, meaning "hill".

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e8/Add_19391_19-20.png/1920px-Add_19391_19-20.png
The Codex Vatopedinus's Ptolemy's map of the British Isles, labelled "Ἀλουΐων" (Alouíōn, "Albion") and Ἰουερνία (Iouernía, "Hibernia"). c. 1300

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albion

Some people here still like to use the ancient term of 'Albion' for our island, such as the English singer and musician Pete Doherty, who made a song called 'Albion'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaA6mieTvjI&frags=pl%2Cwn

I'm not too keen on the term 'Albion' though, incase people misinterpret it with 'albinos'. (We already get teased for being pale, so I think the term 'Albion' would result in people twisting the word and making crude jokes.)

It's like the demonym for people who live on the Greek island of Crete is a 'Cretan', and that term makes me cringe as it sounds like 'cretin' (which is an offensive slang term for a very stupid person.)

The Isle of Man is unique as they have a Celtic language, the world's oldest Viking Parliament and customs (still in use to this day,) a unique flag, and Manx cats are born without tails.

The Isle of Wight is apt as the cliffs surrounding it are white.

https://t-ec.bstatic.com/data/region_attractions/max540/770/7709.jpg

Voskos
08-19-2019, 05:04 PM
British isles are not sovereign anymore due to anglosphere influence. Which is rather sad by the way.

♥ Lily ♥
08-19-2019, 05:09 PM
As for the British Isles as a whole (which includes Ireland - from a geographic viewpoint,) ... I dunno, you could just call all 6000+ British Isles as 'The Isles' - as some people in the U.K. and U.S. and other nations already sometimes do... or just call the inhabitants as 'The Islanders.' :dunno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--tFFz44zvc&frags=pl%2Cwn

I guess something more specific is needed to distinguish it from other islands around the globe... I think British Isles is fine.

Dawnbringer
08-19-2019, 05:36 PM
90% of Irish Americans have converted to Protestantism, the only Irish Catholics live in large cities, rare to find an Irish Catholic in average America.

Surveys in the 1990s show that of Americans who identify themselves as "Irish", 51% said they were Protestant and 36% identified as Catholic. In the South, Protestants account for 73% of those claiming Irish origins, while Catholics account for 19%. In the North, 45% of those claiming Irish origin are Catholic, while 39% are Protestant.
https://books.google.com/books?id=7fwoSIucCl4C&pg=PA1&dq=irish+americans+converting+to+protestantism&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjS497Oto_kAhUHVd8KHQgEALQQ6AEwAHoECAAQA g#v=onepage&q=irish%20americans%20converting%20to%20protestant ism&f=false

Among Irish Americans from the Northeastern U.S. the majority are still Catholic, and with all regions outside the Southern U.S they are still the largest group. Many Irish here intermarried with other groups, but they have historically done so with other Catholics. First with German Catholics who immigrated at about the same time, later with Southern Italian Catholics and Polish Catholics.

Most "Irish"-Americans from the Southern United States are descended from Ulster-Scots and thus not of true Irish Gaelic origin, but are rather mostly descended from the Scottish Lowlands. Many Scots-Irish Americans identify as Irish when they are ethnically distinct from the Irish-Catholics who came mostly to the Northeastern United States states in the mid-19th century to flee the Irish Potato Famine.

PaleoEuropean
08-19-2019, 05:39 PM
Yea most live in Ny, Chicago, Boston etc. There are tons of pre-1900's non-Ulster Scots Irish all over that are not catholic. The South is full of Colonial/settler Irish, so is the west and the majority aren't catholic. They are few and far between in most areas of the country, most are Baptist, Pentecostal etc. Can find definite Irish families all over Texas, Appalachia, Arkansas, California who are not Catholics.

Creoda
08-19-2019, 05:43 PM
They definitely don't on the US census.

Outside of England itself, I've never heard of Irish descended people identifying as English. It's blasphemy. Similarly, the only 'Irish' outside of Britain that tend to identify as British are Ulster Scots, who are of British descent. Their American Scots-Irish descendants on the other hand are far more likely to identify as Irish than British when they're in fact of mostly British descent.

PaleoEuropean
08-19-2019, 05:45 PM
They definitely don't on the US census.

Outside of England itself, I've never heard of Irish descended people identifying as English. It's blasphemy. Similarly, the only 'Irish' outside of Britain that tend to identify as British are Ulster Scots, who are of British descent. Their American Scots-Irish descendants are far more likely to identify as Irish than British when they're in fact of mostly British descent.

Times are changing, 20-25 years ago, nobody identified as anything but British or English XD. The only people who identify as Irish are east coasters or people who's family immigrated in the 1900's that live elsewhere. You can go to places like Alabama and West Virginia that have large Irish populations of Southern Irish descent that identify as English or British, really depends on if they are catholic or not.

Dawnbringer
08-19-2019, 05:52 PM
Times are changing, 20-25 years ago, nobody identified as anything but British or English XD. The only people who identify as Irish are east coasters or people who's family immigrated in the 1900's that live elsewhere. You can go to places like Alabama and West Virginia that have large Irish populations of Southern Irish descent that identify as English or British, really depends on if they are catholic or not.

All of my Irish ancestors immigrated in the 19th century. Most in the mid-19th century. All Catholics.

PaleoEuropean
08-19-2019, 06:02 PM
All of my Irish ancestors immigrated in the 19th century. Most in the mid-19th century. All Catholics.

Yea but you live on the east coast, go to a place like Tennessee which has had steady Irish immigration and even had Irish immigrant fighting units during the Civil War. The east coast is a small scope of Irish people, Irish American history doesn't start at Ellis Island, even the Scots-Irish has a bunch of Irish and Anglo-Irish lumped into it. The vast majority of Irish people live in all over the Southern, Central and Western U.S.A I have traveled all over, I shit you not.

Dawnbringer
08-19-2019, 06:20 PM
Yea but you live on the east coast, go to a place like Tennessee which has had steady Irish immigration and even had Irish immigrant fighting units during the Civil War. The east coast is a small scope of Irish people, Irish American history doesn't start at Ellis Island, even the Scots-Irish has a bunch of Irish and Anglo-Irish lumped into it. The vast majority of Irish people live in all over the Southern, Central and Western U.S.A I have traveled all over, I shit you not.

Of course they are widespread as Irish-Americans are second largest ethnic group in the U.S. by reported ancestry at around 10% of the overall population.

Look at this map, though:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/Irish1346.gif

The greatest concentration of self-reporting Irish-Amercians is in the Northeast.

Also, Ellis Island was established in 1892 when the vast majority of Irish immigration to the U.S. had already happened. Coffin ships went straight to New York or Boston harbor. I think your confusing the 19th century with the 1900s.

The Union Army had its own Irish brigade.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Brigade_(Union_Army)

200,000 Irish natives fought in the Union Army, almost all of them Catholics.

40,000 Irish natives fought in the Confederate Army, also mostly Catholics at the time. Most of these Irish immigrants assimilated into Protestant Southern society, but not all. 19% of Southern Irish-Americans are Catholic after all.

The Irish in the Western U.S. are more assimilated into the general population than in the Northeast.

Irish-American history goes back far in the Northeast.

Dawnbringer
08-19-2019, 10:25 PM
1900's

1900's

1900s ≠ 19th century. Don't forget about the first century!

1900s formally refers to the years 1900-1909 and 19th century refers the years 1801-1900. There is no year zero so 1800 is a part of the 18th century, 1900 a part of the 19th century, and 2000 is part of the 20th century.
There is only one year every century where the informal terminology you are using and the formal terminology coincide.

Even though 1900s is used to refer to years 1900-1909, this is logically impossible because that would mean the first "decade" CE and the last "decade" BCE would be only 9 years each as there is no year zero and even if their was a year zero you would need one year zero each which makes even less sense.

In reality 1900s can only mean the years from 1901-1910.

Let me make tables for you:

Your usage of 1700s, 1800s, and 1900s:

1700s
18th century

1800s
19th century

1900s
20th century

Proper and logical usage of 1700s, 1800s, and 1900s:

1700s
1701-1710

1800s
1801-1810

1900s
1901-1910

All this may sound unnecessarily pedantic, but it's important to point out.

Dawnbringer
08-19-2019, 10:55 PM
Bump.

Richmondbread
08-19-2019, 11:09 PM
England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.

Daco Celtic
08-19-2019, 11:22 PM
The Tallywhacker Islands

Dawnbringer
08-19-2019, 11:25 PM
The "My Name is PaleoEuropean and I Don't Know My Calendar"-Isles.

Creoda
06-12-2023, 05:17 AM
The politically correct term in use now is the British & Irish Isles, which is fine by me. I'll continue to call it the British Isles though.

Better than 'the Isles'. Which Isles? Western Isles? Isles of Scilly?