PDA

View Full Version : Europeans only: Should the Dutch leave NATO and return to the pre-1940-policy of armed neutrality ?

The Lawspeaker
07-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Europeans only: Should the Dutch leave NATO and return to the pre-1940-policy of armed neutrality ?

This of course shouldn't just mean leaving NATO but also the EU and a whole lot of other international organisations.

Pro's and cons.

The Ripper
07-16-2011, 04:34 PM
I think that The Netherlands should leave the NATO, but I'm unsure if stand-it-alone neutrality is the sole option. I think that Europe, as a whole or regionally, should form some kind of bloc(s), that would co-operate geopolitically.

Bridie
07-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Europeans only: Should the Dutch leave NATO and return to the pre-1940-policy of armed neutrality ?

This of course shouldn't just mean leaving NATO but also the EU and a whole lot of other international organisations.

Pro's and cons.Yes, definitely!!! The Australians say yes, yes, yes!!! :wink :D

The Lawspeaker
07-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Personally I am more in favour of leaving NATO, UN (and most organisations attached to it although we would continue to host their presence if the need arises by providing them with facilities), the Eurozone and the EU and also seek to annul every single treaty that curtails us in our internal policies.

Before we do all this we will need get our own arms industry of the ground (it would be a lot easier if we would have Belgium joining us as they have Fabrique Nationale de Herstal) in the same way as the Swiss are mainly armed by their own industry. Since it will be an armed neutrality it would unfortunately also mean that we would have to reinstate the draft and form a national citizen army rather then a purely professional one.

Tel Errant
07-16-2011, 06:16 PM
The netherlands are in NATO like many others to make the number and participate financially. You have no interest in staying in except for being dragged in wars that aren't yours.

Albion
09-17-2011, 04:41 PM
No. We need a European-only defence treaty to protect all European states. It should have no political intentions and make no offensives (i.e. as NATO has done in Libya recently).
Defence only.

Peerkons
09-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Why you want to leave NATO?

_______
09-17-2011, 05:05 PM
yes. britain should do the same.

Damiăo de Góis
09-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Indeed, NATO was created in the context of the Cold War, which has ended some 20 years ago. I think it's a matter of time before it's dismanteled.