PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered Y111 test, what should I expect?

Adoptee
09-30-2019, 04:26 PM
I guess you can say I'm an ancestry DNA nut now. I've done 23andMe, AncestryDNA, Family Tree DNA Family Finder and just upgraded my Y37 test to Y111.

I was disappointed with the Y37 test, I must admit. I learned nothing from it. Though this is likely my own fault for having high expectation and hoping I would find my birth surname. Now what should I expect with Y111, can I reasonably expect to actually learn something new now?

Ljubic
09-30-2019, 08:09 PM
I guess you can say I'm an ancestry DNA nut now. I've done 23andMe, AncestryDNA, Family Tree DNA Family Finder and just upgraded my Y37 test to Y111.

I was disappointed with the Y37 test, I must admit. I learned nothing from it. Though this is likely my own fault for having high expectation and hoping I would find my birth surname. Now what should I expect with Y111, can I reasonably expect to actually learn something new now?

Its propably worth it in the long run but you may not get any Y-111 match if youre unlucky.

Adoptee
09-30-2019, 11:07 PM
Its propably worth it in the long run but you may not get any Y-111 match if youre unlucky.

Do you think it can give me an accurate haplogroup subtype? I already know my haplogroup thanks to 23andMe but if it can give me even more info that'd be neat

Ljubic
10-01-2019, 04:57 AM
Do you think it can give me an accurate haplogroup subtype? I already know my haplogroup thanks to 23andMe but if it can give me even more info that'd be neat

It doesnt. For that you have to order the SNP-Pack. The things you will get with Y-111 are a bunch of STRs and if you are lucky and other customers of your paternal line have ordered either Y-67 or Y-111, you can be certain that they are from your recent paternal line given that they are exact or 1-step matches.
You may join a Haplogroup project. I dont know which Haplogroup you belong to but the I2a-Project predicted a deeper subclade for me. The one you join may do so too if possible for them.