PDA

View Full Version : I'm 5% Ashkenazi Jewish. Do you consider me an Ashkenazi Jew?

cherryredlips
10-05-2019, 05:57 PM
Isn't 5% ancestry like 4 generations back? Someone probably in the late 1800s or early 1900s?

PaleoEuropean
10-05-2019, 06:00 PM
Only if it's via your direct maternal line

WeirdLookingFellow
10-05-2019, 06:06 PM
Isn't 5% ancestry like 4 generations back? Someone probably in the late 1800s or early 1900s?

No person is 100% Ashkenazi. If you're 5% you could have something like a grandma with 20% which is near the average for Ashkenazim. As Paleo said, if it's via maternal line, then as per Jewish law you are Jewish.

Pine
10-06-2019, 09:22 PM
No person is 100% Ashkenazi. If you're 5% you could have something like a grandma with 20% which is near the average for Ashkenazim. As Paleo said, if it's via maternal line, then as per Jewish law you are Jewish.

All Ashkenazim are 100% Ashkenazi, unless you're going back to the Ashkenazi ethnogenesis, in which case some pure Ashkenazim still exist.

WeirdLookingFellow
10-07-2019, 05:08 AM
All Ashkenazim are 100% Ashkenazi, unless you're going back to the Ashkenazi ethnogenesis, in which case some pure Ashkenazim still exist.

I was referring to ancestry results.

Pine
10-07-2019, 05:15 AM

Where Ashkenazim often score 100% Ashkenazi?

kattleen
10-07-2019, 05:21 AM
Do you have a hooknose?

Mortimer
10-07-2019, 05:40 AM
For me there is no thumb rule. If you feel like a jew and identify as such I can rather identify as such too if you identify yourself as such. Also jewish law and what other jews says is important too. There is no thumb rule. I dont know about your specific case.

Smeagol
10-08-2019, 12:44 AM

Full Ashkenazi always score between 90-100% Ashkenazi.

Erronkari
10-08-2019, 12:47 AM

Of course not...

Longbowman
10-08-2019, 12:53 AM
No. You're not. If you were 5% Finnish would you see yourself as Finnish? Would Finns see you as Finnish?

wtf of course people are 100% Ashkenazi you screamer. Are you getting confused with JTest on Eurogenes or smth?

Mortimer
10-08-2019, 12:56 AM
No. You're not. If you were 5% Finnish would you see yourself as Finnish? Would Finns see you as Finnish?

wtf of course people are 100% Ashkenazi you screamer. Are you getting confused with JTest on Eurogenes or smth?

you can be 0% ashkenazi and still jewish, if you convert to judaism. There is no thumb rule. I consider myself a little jewish too. Im only 1.4%

Smeagol
10-08-2019, 01:01 AM

Would Jews consider him a Jew if that 5% was via his direct maternal line? I think it would be ridiculous to go back that far, but what would Orthodox Jews say?

Longbowman
10-08-2019, 01:01 AM
you can be 0% ashkenazi and still jewish, if you convert to judaism. There is no thumb rule. I consider myself a little jewish too. Im only 1.4%

But she hasn't. She's asking if being 1/16 Ashkenazi makes her Ashkenazi. It's obvious she has no cultural connections to Jewishness or Ashkenazi culture. It's a typical New World delusion - I have distant ancestry from x, am I x? Answer: no. Membership of x requires more than 'my great-great-grandpa was x once.'

Would Jews consider him a Jew if that 5% was via his direct maternal line? I think it would be ridiculous to go back that far, but what would Orthodox Jews say?

Some would say yes, as that's three-to-five generations back...

...provided the person and none of their maternal ancestors had converted to another religion, which is unlikely, considering.

Bakha
10-08-2019, 01:04 AM
5%? Are you joking right?

Smeagol
10-08-2019, 01:04 AM
...provided the person and none of their maternal ancestors had converted to another religion, which is unlikely, considering.

So if a Jewish women marries a Christian and converts before their kid is born would the kid be considered a Jew?

Mortimer
10-08-2019, 01:06 AM
But she hasn't. She's asking if being 1/16 Ashkenazi makes her Ashkenazi. It's obvious she has no cultural connections to Jewishness or Ashkenazi culture. It's a typical New World delusion - I have distant ancestry from x, am I x? Answer: no. Membership of x requires more than 'my great-great-grandpa was x once.'

Some would say yes, as that's three-to-five generations back...

True I dont consider myself Ashkenazi or Jewish. But I have now more interest in judaism and jews then before, but before I also liked jews, because of Holocaust. I will say Im interested in judaism and Israel and jews but Im not a jew. That being said, she might ask nazis for the one drop rule not jews though. I think even Hitler wouldnt have considered 5% to be jewish but nowadays with genetic tests it might be different as soon it is not noise anymore that nazis might consider you not pure.

Longbowman
10-08-2019, 01:06 AM
So if a Jewish women marries a Christian and converts before their kid is born would the kid be considered a Jew?

Some am ha'aretz might say yes, but most authorities would say no, and Israel would not allow that person to immigrate, interestingly enough.

Smeagol
10-08-2019, 01:13 AM
Some am ha'aretz might say yes, but most authorities would say no, and Israel would not allow that person to immigrate, interestingly enough.

I thought Israel let anyone with at least a Jewish grandparent immigrate regardless of religion?

What's the Jewish attitude to former Mischling soldiers who fought for Germany in World War II? Would they be accepted by Israel?

Longbowman
10-08-2019, 01:16 AM
I thought Israel let anyone with at least a Jewish grandparent immigrate regardless of religion?

Yeah, except if that person is a practitioner of a religion that is not Judaism. They used to let in Messianics and other converts, though. But they stopped a while ago after determining that they weren't even Jewish-adjacent like quarter-Jews are (zera yisra'el, to use the Halakhic term). Whilst the non-Jewish descendant of a Jew has some minor status in halakha, a 'halakhic Jew' who practises a non-Jewish religion is an apikores or heretic and is supposed to be placed in kherem or excommunicated wholesale, if they're considered Jewish at all.

There is still a large-ish amount of Messianics and 'Jewish Christians' from before that law came into play, though.

What's the Jewish attitude to former Mischling soldiers who fought for Germany in World War II? Would they be accepted by Israel?

They'd get a bullet in their head if it were up to me, I doubt any tried to move there. But 'mischling Jewish soldiers in WWII' of which there were only a few thousand is not a talking point in Jewish circles. There are always kapos. In the 50s some kapos who moved to Israel were assassinated and people known to have been collaborators are considered less than dirt, as you can well imagine.

Blondie
10-08-2019, 01:20 AM
you can be 0% ashkenazi and still jewish, if you convert to judaism.

So if a 100% chinese guy would convert to judaism that this guy would be a jew and not chinese from that moment?

Mortimer
10-08-2019, 01:21 AM
Yeah, except if that person is a practitioner of a religion that is not Judaism. They used to let in Messianics and other converts, though. But they stopped a while ago after determining that they weren't even Jewish-adjacent like quarter-Jews are (zera yisra'el, to use the Halakhic term). Whilst the non-Jewish descendant of a Jew has some minor status in halakha, a 'halakhic Jew' who practises a non-Jewish religion is an apikores or heretic and is supposed to be placed in kherem or excommunicated wholesale, if they're considered Jewish at all.

There is still a large-ish amount of Messianics and 'Jewish Christians' from before that law came into play, though.

Does that include Brother Nathanael Kemptner too as heretic and excommunicate? Is he even a jew still?

Mortimer
10-08-2019, 01:21 AM
So if a 100% chinese guy would convert to judaism that this guy would be a jew and not chinese from that moment?

He would because jew is not a race it is like becoming american.

Longbowman
10-08-2019, 01:23 AM
Does that include Brother Nathanael Kemptner too as heretic and excommunicate? Is he even a jew still?

He's mentally ill. A bullet in his skull would be for his benefit as well as everyone else. But of course he is not a member of the kehilla.

Both.

Mortimer
10-08-2019, 01:24 AM
He's mentally ill. A bullet in his skull would be for his benefit as well as everyone else. But of course he is not a member of the kehilla.

Both.

indeed like becoming chinese-american. both chinese and american.

Blondie
10-08-2019, 01:24 AM
He would because jew is not a race it is like becoming american.

So this chinese guy will be jew but an atheist person who has 100% jewish origin from his parents is not jew. lol this is bullshit

Smeagol
10-08-2019, 01:25 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaifeng_Jews

Longbowman
10-08-2019, 01:25 AM
So this chinese guy will be jew but an atheist person who has 100% jewish origin from his parents is not jew. lol this is bullshit

No, aethist Jews are Jews.

Mortimer
10-08-2019, 01:26 AM

the Atheist is also jew. and if the chinese in 5 years considers himself Atheist but converted legally in a Ultra orthodox court he is also still a jew. but Longbowman I think pointed out that if you practice another religion you are excommunicated but atheists dont practice another religion, they practice no religion.

Daos777
10-08-2019, 01:34 AM
I never met a Jew with any kind of honor. They are always sneaky two faced pieces of shit. Who lack any form of basic human decency. They are also typically un-athletic and have small ass dicks and can’t compete with men at male activities so that’s why they resort to Jewry and manipulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longbowman
10-08-2019, 01:39 AM
For those interested, Israel has since 1970 accepted anyone with a Jewish grandparent or married to someone with a Jewish grandparent except

1) those who have converted to other religions (note, those who were born into other religions, notably the non-Jewish spouses of Jews, are exempted from this)
a) Messianic Judaism specifically included as another religion c.1989
b) however, people born into Messianic Judaism can claim citizenship, so if I become a Messianic Jew, I can't make aliyah, but my Messianic son can
2) those who have criminal pasts that might endanger public welfare (selectively applied)
3) those who have in the past done anti-Jewish stuff (sometimes applied to anti-Zionists, which is fair enough)

Rćdwald
10-08-2019, 02:30 AM
Nicht einmal die Nazis haben gedacht.

https://newspapers.ushmm.org/images/race-laws.jpg

Turul Karom
10-08-2019, 02:35 AM

You could have a 100% Jewish father and be born of a non-Jewish mother, and you would not be Jewish. You can have a special relationship with them if you desired given your high ancestry, but you'd need to go through a proper conversion to be Jewish. This is the Jewish people's own criteria of recognition. Anyone who sees you default Jewish otherwise is either reading too much into it for agenda reasons or are possibly part Jewish themselves and want to be seen as such yet are denied because they fail the basic criteria. Jewishness has a long and well established ethno-religious background and the Jewish mother requirement is non-wavable based on their law.

happycow
10-08-2019, 02:40 AM
For those interested, Israel has since 1970 accepted anyone with a Jewish grandparent or married to someone with a Jewish grandparent except

1) those who have converted to other religions (note, those who were born into other religions, notably the non-Jewish spouses of Jews, are exempted from this)
a) Messianic Judaism specifically included as another religion c.1989
b) however, people born into Messianic Judaism can claim citizenship, so if I become a Messianic Jew, I can't make aliyah, but my Messianic son can
2) those who have criminal pasts that might endanger public welfare (selectively applied)
3) those who have in the past done anti-Jewish stuff (sometimes applied to anti-Zionists, which is fair enough)

Interesting, but why? :confused:

Pine
10-08-2019, 03:33 AM
I never met a Jew with any kind of honor. They are always sneaky two faced pieces of shit. Who lack any form of basic human decency. They are also typically un-athletic and have small ass dicks and can’t compete with men at male activities so that’s why they resort to Jewry and manipulation.

What's your Wilk's score?

Mingle
10-08-2019, 03:35 AM
You could have a 100% Jewish father and be born of a non-Jewish mother, and you would not be Jewish. You can have a special relationship with them if you desired given your high ancestry, but you'd need to go through a proper conversion to be Jewish. This is the Jewish people's own criteria of recognition. Anyone who sees you default Jewish otherwise is either reading too much into it for agenda reasons or are possibly part Jewish themselves and want to be seen as such yet are denied because they fail the basic criteria. Jewishness has a long and well established ethno-religious background and the Jewish mother requirement is non-wavable based on their law.

I heard that in the past, being Jewish was based on paternal lineage but then changed to being based on maternal lineage later. This would explain why most Jews (at least Ashkenazis) are paternally Levantine but maternally foreign/non-Levantine.

Pine
10-08-2019, 03:45 AM

He probably means that the son will be a Jew by Jewish law and can immigrate if he drops the Messianic stuff.

RenaRyuguu
10-08-2019, 03:46 AM
no you're a fellow elf like Paul Rudd and Natalie Portman

Turul Karom
10-08-2019, 03:55 AM
I heard that in the past, being Jewish was based on paternal lineage but then changed to being based on maternal lineage later. This would explain why most Jews (at least Ashkenazis) are paternally Levantine but maternally foreign/non-Levantine.

I have never heard of the idea that Jewishness was passed on through the father outside of some western Black Hebrew Israelite communities. All non-20th century reform branches of Judaism acknowledge the old laws that see it passed on via the mother's line. The halakha laws follow the female line based on religious passages that can be found in any Christian Bible as well. Please read the following:

Nehemiah 13 Nehemiah's Final Reforms:

23 Moreover, in those days I saw men of Judah who had married women from Ashdod, Ammon and Moab. 24 Half of their children spoke the language of Ashdod or the language of one of the other peoples, and did not know how to speak the language of Judah. 25 I rebuked them and called curses down on them. I beat some of the men and pulled out their hair. I made them take an oath in God’s name and said: “You are not to give your daughters in marriage to their sons, nor are you to take their daughters in marriage for your sons or for yourselves. 26 Was it not because of marriages like these that Solomon king of Israel sinned? Among the many nations there was no king like him. He was loved by his God, and God made him king over all Israel, but even he was led into sin by foreign women. 27 Must we hear now that you too are doing all this terrible wickedness and are being unfaithful to our God by marrying foreign women?”

28 One of the sons of Joiada son of Eliashib the high priest was son-in-law to Sanballat the Horonite. And I drove him away from me.

29 Remember them, my God, because they defiled the priestly office and the covenant of the priesthood and of the Levites.

30 So I purified the priests and the Levites of everything foreign, and assigned them duties, each to his own task. 31 I also made provision for contributions of wood at designated times, and for the firstfruits.

Remember me with favor, my God.

Ezra’s Prayer About Intermarriage, Ezra 9-10:

9 After these things had been done, the leaders came to me and said, “The people of Israel, including the priests and the Levites, have not kept themselves separate from the neighboring peoples with their detestable practices, like those of the Canaanites, Hittites, Perizzites, Jebusites, Ammonites, Moabites, Egyptians and Amorites. 2 They have taken some of their daughters as wives for themselves and their sons, and have mingled the holy race with the peoples around them. And the leaders and officials have led the way in this unfaithfulness.”

3 When I heard this, I tore my tunic and cloak, pulled hair from my head and beard and sat down appalled. 4 Then everyone who trembled at the words of the God of Israel gathered around me because of this unfaithfulness of the exiles. And I sat there appalled until the evening sacrifice.

5 Then, at the evening sacrifice, I rose from my self-abasement, with my tunic and cloak torn, and fell on my knees with my hands spread out to the Lord my God 6 and prayed:

“I am too ashamed and disgraced, my God, to lift up my face to you, because our sins are higher than our heads and our guilt has reached to the heavens. 7 From the days of our ancestors until now, our guilt has been great. Because of our sins, we and our kings and our priests have been subjected to the sword and captivity, to pillage and humiliation at the hand of foreign kings, as it is today.

8 “But now, for a brief moment, the Lord our God has been gracious in leaving us a remnant and giving us a firm place[a] in his sanctuary, and so our God gives light to our eyes and a little relief in our bondage. 9 Though we are slaves, our God has not forsaken us in our bondage. He has shown us kindness in the sight of the kings of Persia: He has granted us new life to rebuild the house of our God and repair its ruins, and he has given us a wall of protection in Judah and Jerusalem.

10 “But now, our God, what can we say after this? For we have forsaken the commands 11 you gave through your servants the prophets when you said: ‘The land you are entering to possess is a land polluted by the corruption of its peoples. By their detestable practices they have filled it with their impurity from one end to the other. 12 Therefore, do not give your daughters in marriage to their sons or take their daughters for your sons. Do not seek a treaty of friendship with them at any time, that you may be strong and eat the good things of the land and leave it to your children as an everlasting inheritance.’

13 “What has happened to us is a result of our evil deeds and our great guilt, and yet, our God, you have punished us less than our sins deserved and have given us a remnant like this. 14 Shall we then break your commands again and intermarry with the peoples who commit such detestable practices? Would you not be angry enough with us to destroy us, leaving us no remnant or survivor? 15 Lord, the God of Israel, you are righteous! We are left this day as a remnant. Here we are before you in our guilt, though because of it not one of us can stand in your presence.”

happycow
10-08-2019, 03:56 AM
He probably means that the son will be a Jew by Jewish law and can immigrate if he drops the Messianic stuff.

I see. I have a messianic Jew friend who might be interested in knowing about this. lol

Pine
10-08-2019, 04:00 AM
I see. I have a messianic Jew friend who might be interested in knowing about this. lol

or it's simply applied to the person who chose to leave Judaism

Dick
10-08-2019, 04:15 AM

QFT

Turul Karom
10-08-2019, 04:26 AM
Nicht einmal die Nazis haben gedacht.

https://newspapers.ushmm.org/images/race-laws.jpg

Wouldn't it always be more prudent to go to the Jews and their ancient sources themselves to define who is Jewish rather than reference Nuremberg Law written by non-Jews and inspired by Mendelian inheritance?

Mingle
10-08-2019, 04:51 AM
I have never heard of the idea that Jewishness was passed on through the father outside of some western Black Hebrew Israelite communities. All non-20th century reform branches of Judaism acknowledge the old laws that see it passed on via the mother's line. The halakha laws follow the female line based on religious passages that can be found in any Christian Bible as well. Please read the following:

Nehemiah 13 Nehemiah's Final Reforms:

23 Moreover, in those days I saw men of Judah who had married women from Ashdod, Ammon and Moab. 24 Half of their children spoke the language of Ashdod or the language of one of the other peoples, and did not know how to speak the language of Judah. 25 I rebuked them and called curses down on them. I beat some of the men and pulled out their hair. I made them take an oath in God’s name and said: “You are not to give your daughters in marriage to their sons, nor are you to take their daughters in marriage for your sons or for yourselves. 26 Was it not because of marriages like these that Solomon king of Israel sinned? Among the many nations there was no king like him. He was loved by his God, and God made him king over all Israel, but even he was led into sin by foreign women. 27 Must we hear now that you too are doing all this terrible wickedness and are being unfaithful to our God by marrying foreign women?”

28 One of the sons of Joiada son of Eliashib the high priest was son-in-law to Sanballat the Horonite. And I drove him away from me.

29 Remember them, my God, because they defiled the priestly office and the covenant of the priesthood and of the Levites.

30 So I purified the priests and the Levites of everything foreign, and assigned them duties, each to his own task. 31 I also made provision for contributions of wood at designated times, and for the firstfruits.

Remember me with favor, my God.

Ezra’s Prayer About Intermarriage, Ezra 9-10:

9 After these things had been done, the leaders came to me and said, “The people of Israel, including the priests and the Levites, have not kept themselves separate from the neighboring peoples with their detestable practices, like those of the Canaanites, Hittites, Perizzites, Jebusites, Ammonites, Moabites, Egyptians and Amorites. 2 They have taken some of their daughters as wives for themselves and their sons, and have mingled the holy race with the peoples around them. And the leaders and officials have led the way in this unfaithfulness.”

3 When I heard this, I tore my tunic and cloak, pulled hair from my head and beard and sat down appalled. 4 Then everyone who trembled at the words of the God of Israel gathered around me because of this unfaithfulness of the exiles. And I sat there appalled until the evening sacrifice.

5 Then, at the evening sacrifice, I rose from my self-abasement, with my tunic and cloak torn, and fell on my knees with my hands spread out to the Lord my God 6 and prayed:

“I am too ashamed and disgraced, my God, to lift up my face to you, because our sins are higher than our heads and our guilt has reached to the heavens. 7 From the days of our ancestors until now, our guilt has been great. Because of our sins, we and our kings and our priests have been subjected to the sword and captivity, to pillage and humiliation at the hand of foreign kings, as it is today.

8 “But now, for a brief moment, the Lord our God has been gracious in leaving us a remnant and giving us a firm place[a] in his sanctuary, and so our God gives light to our eyes and a little relief in our bondage. 9 Though we are slaves, our God has not forsaken us in our bondage. He has shown us kindness in the sight of the kings of Persia: He has granted us new life to rebuild the house of our God and repair its ruins, and he has given us a wall of protection in Judah and Jerusalem.

10 “But now, our God, what can we say after this? For we have forsaken the commands 11 you gave through your servants the prophets when you said: ‘The land you are entering to possess is a land polluted by the corruption of its peoples. By their detestable practices they have filled it with their impurity from one end to the other. 12 Therefore, do not give your daughters in marriage to their sons or take their daughters for your sons. Do not seek a treaty of friendship with them at any time, that you may be strong and eat the good things of the land and leave it to your children as an everlasting inheritance.’

13 “What has happened to us is a result of our evil deeds and our great guilt, and yet, our God, you have punished us less than our sins deserved and have given us a remnant like this. 14 Shall we then break your commands again and intermarry with the peoples who commit such detestable practices? Would you not be angry enough with us to destroy us, leaving us no remnant or survivor? 15 Lord, the God of Israel, you are righteous! We are left this day as a remnant. Here we are before you in our guilt, though because of it not one of us can stand in your presence.”Maybe I heard wrong then. But then how do you explain Ashkenazis (and other Jews lived in foreign lands) having significant European (and other foreign) admixture while simultaneously retaining their Levantine Y-DNA? Having Levantine Y-DNA and foreign mtDNA would imply their male ancestors were Jewish while their female ancestors weren't. How would you explain this based on Jewishness being something passed through one's mother?

Turul Karom
10-08-2019, 05:08 AM
Maybe I heard wrong then. But then how do you explain Ashkenazis (and other Jews lived in foreign lands) having significant European (and other foreign admixture) while simultaneously retaining their Levantine Y-DNA? Having Levantine Y-DNA and foreign mtDNA would imply their male ancestors were Jewish while their female ancestors weren't. How would you explain this based on Jewishness being something passed through one's mother?

This is very simple. First, nobody can prove all of the possible haplogroups the women in ancient Jewish tribes had at the time of the covenant with the God of Israel. Genetic research is still ongoing and will always be sensitive given the nature of Jew's historical DNA interpretation and what it meant for them.

Second, given the rapid evolutionary nature of the Y chromosome and the male sex drive, it is never a surprise that Levantine Jewish men thousands of years ago would still take foreign brides and extramarital lovers in the form of slaves. As you can see, this was seen as quite a problem for quite some time, and caused great distress among the Israelites. There are also many ways that a possible "non-Jewish" woman could be, over time, made to "be" Jewish with questionable backgrounds and enough persuading of the right people. Fast forward a few hundred years, and poof, you have a Jewish mother who really wasn't but the paper ecords say so for so long that nobody questions it. I'm sure if we had a magic lens to trace Jewish women and non-Jewish women from the time of Moses, we would be very surprised to see who would be and who wouldn't be a Jew today based off their maternal lineage. Of course one can always just make more Jewish children by impregnating Jewish women, even if he himself is born of a non-Jew.

Third, you cannot discount the religious conversion aspects. You can take a wife who is a non-Jew and have her become Jewish. As Jewish males conquered foreign women from war, they could convert them via Orthodox rites laid out specifically in Jewish law, and their haplogroup would become effectively Jewish. Jews can expand Judaism through the father, but in reality, it is only via rigorous religious and cultural rites and conversion. Therefore, only those born of the womb of a Jewish woman are automatically Jews, and men who are lax with the culture and religious conversions of their conquered wives create the identity crisis so illustrated in the Biblical passages I have listed.

Pine
10-08-2019, 05:22 AM
QFT

Tell me how you don't fit that description.

Dick
10-08-2019, 05:27 AM
You triggered me once again

Success.

Daos777
10-08-2019, 05:27 AM
Tell me how you don't fit that description.

We all fit that description. Because we are all secretly Jews.

Pine
10-08-2019, 05:48 AM
Success.

You have no answer, because you were projecting.

Pine
10-08-2019, 05:52 AM
We all fit that description. Because we are all secretly Jews.

No, you're just secretly weak.

Daos777
10-08-2019, 06:03 AM
No, you're just secretly weak.

But at least I ain’t a Jew tho

Pine
10-08-2019, 06:23 AM
But at least I ain’t a Jew tho

Neither is the hobo down the street. I'll share the good news with him.

WeirdLookingFellow
10-08-2019, 06:32 AM

wtf of course people are 100% Ashkenazi you screamer. Are you getting confused with JTest on Eurogenes or smth?Goofed up there aye

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

Longbowman
10-08-2019, 02:52 PM

Their rationale was 'well they ARE half/quarter Jews and it isn't their fault they're Messianics.' They're not considered Jews, but can immigrate.

Pine's wrong, the kid can immigrate whilst still being a Messianic.

Kamal900
10-08-2019, 03:01 PM
Pfft, fuck no. Ashkenazi Jews are usually between 90 to 100% Ashkenazi Jew.

Turul Karom
10-08-2019, 09:08 PM
Their rationale was 'well they ARE half/quarter Jews and it isn't their fault they're Messianics.' They're not considered Jews, but can immigrate.

Pine's wrong, the kid can immigrate whilst still being a Messianic.

So someone with a Jewish father but not mother would be able to be an Israeli citizen? Or does this half/quarter thing only apply if you have a non-Jewish father but still have a Jewish mother and they just ignore it?

Longbowman
10-09-2019, 06:38 PM
So someone with a Jewish father but not mother would be able to be an Israeli citizen? Or does this half/quarter thing only apply if you have a non-Jewish father but still have a Jewish mother and they just ignore it?

Yes, an Israeli citizen but not a Jew. When in Israel they could not marry a Jew.

Tooting Carmen
10-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Yes, an Israeli citizen but not a Jew. When in Israel they could not marry a Jew.

Didn't both Arabs and Jews together vote to maintain the prohibition of secular marriages and thus carry on with these nonsensical laws?

Longbowman
10-09-2019, 07:48 PM
Didn't both Arabs and Jews together vote to maintain the prohibition of secular marriages and thus end these nonsensical laws?

Idk if they voted for it but I don't think any of the major religious denominations are upset by it.

Turul Karom
10-09-2019, 09:47 PM

I didn't think that Israel had such strict marriage laws regarding Jews and non-Jews. What are the requirements to marry an Israeli Jew legally if you are a non-Jew? Or is it just if you want to get married in Orthodox ways, and you can just get married secularly anywhere anytime between Jews and non-Jews? How do the Israelites enforce this? It seems like a law that would be difficult to maintain because of outside pressure especially.

Longbowman
10-09-2019, 09:50 PM
I didn't think that Israel had such strict marriage laws regarding Jews and non-Jews. What are the requirements to marry an Israeli Jew legally if you are a non-Jew? Or is it just if you want to get married in Orthodox ways, and you can just get married secularly anywhere anytime between Jews and non-Jews? How do the Israelites enforce this? It seems like a law that would be difficult to maintain because of outside pressure especially.

You can't. you have to be a halakhic jew to marry a halakhic jew in Israel.

However they recognise marriages performed abroad.

Turul Karom
10-09-2019, 09:52 PM
You can't. you have to be a halakhic jew to marry a halakhic jew in Israel.

However they recognise marriages performed abroad.

Ok, but then how do they enforce this? There are no secular marriages at all in the country that the government recognizes outside of those performed abroad by immigrants?

Longbowman
10-09-2019, 09:53 PM
Ok, but then how do they enforce this? There are no secular marriages at all in the country that the government recognizes outside of those performed abroad by immigrants?

nope, no secular marriages.

Turul Karom
10-09-2019, 10:21 PM
nope, no secular marriages.

Thanks for the punctual answers, but I still would like to know how this is enforced.

Longbowman
10-09-2019, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the punctual answers, but I still would like to know how this is enforced.

To get married you must be a halakhic Jew.

To prove this you must prove your mother was a halakhic Jew.

There are many records. The easiest way to prove it is to provide your parents' ketubah, their marriage certificate. If they have an Orthodox one, it means both parents were themselves Halalkhic Jews and therefore no further proof is needed.

If there is no ketubah, things get a little trickier, but the maternal grandparents' ketubah would normally suffice. Failing that, the records of an Orthodox synagogue.

Failing that, we're into deep shit. But for most people the parents' ketubah is readily available and sufficient.