PDA

View Full Version : Cunt - male or female?

Wulfhere
07-19-2011, 09:07 AM
I don't mean the cunt itself, which is clearly female, but the term used as an insult. In the UK you would never call a woman a "cunt", it just sounds ridiculous, and the term is an insult purely directed at men. But it turns out that Americans only seem to use it when referring to women. Firstly, is this actually true, and secondly, why.

Blossom
07-19-2011, 09:13 AM
I just use that term for men mostly. If I wanna call a woman like such...just say biatch, and she'll understand you.

poiuytrewq0987
07-19-2011, 09:22 AM
I don't mean the cunt itself, which is clearly female, but the term used as an insult. In the UK you would never call a woman a "cunt", it just sounds ridiculous, and the term is an insult purely directed at men. But it turns out that Americans only seem to use it when referring to women. Firstly, is this actually true, and secondly, why.

In America, people use cunt if seeking a stronger derogatory word directed at women than bitch.

Wyn
07-19-2011, 09:27 AM

Eh, in my neck of the woods it's not even strictly an insult any more. You might say "I went to the party but there was no cunt there so I just came home" or "there was no cunt around to ask so I'd to figure it out myself."

And yeah, 'cunt' is never a woman, really.

rhiannon
07-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Calling a woman a cunt here in the US is the worst insult a woman can give to another woman....or a man to a woman.

Of course, the worse insult ever given to me was by an Anglophile; a dripping cunt.

He was completely drunk at the time, and his was the sort of Jekyll/Hyde brand of Alcoholism. InstaAsshole, just add alcohol.

Wulfhere
07-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Eh, in my neck of the woods it's not even strictly an insult any more. You might say "I went to the party but there was no cunt there so I just came home" or "there was no cunt around to ask so I'd to figure it out myself."

And yeah, 'cunt' is never a woman, really.

"I went to the party but there was no cunt there so I just came home"

Actually this could have two meanings, both of which might be used in the UK. Either the party was empty, or there were no women at it. The stress would be different, thereby changing the meaning. In the latter context "cunt" can be used as a collective noun for women, but is not intended as an insult.

Wyn
07-19-2011, 09:38 AM

Actually this could have two meanings, both of which might be used in the UK. Either the party was empty, or there were no women at it. The stress would be different, thereby changing the meaning. In the latter context "cunt" can be used as a collective noun for women, but is not intended as an insult.

LOL, I didn't think about that, but aye. The first context (that the party was empty) is the one in which it would be used however. You'd get things like "no bastard" and "no fucker" occasionally, too, as in "no bastard knows the way there." I don't know how common this is over in Mercia, mind. :D

Wulfhere
07-19-2011, 09:41 AM
LOL, I didn't think about that, but aye. But the first context (that the party was empty) would be the context in which it would be used. You'd get things like "no bastard" and "no fucker" occasionally, too, as in "no bastard knows the way there." I don't know how common this is over in Mercia, mind. :D

No cunt, no bastard, no fucker could all easily be used in that context (perhaps "no bastard" might be slightly more unusual).

Fortis in Arduis
07-19-2011, 10:14 AM
In America, people use cunt if seeking a stronger derogatory word directed at women than bitch.

That is really shocking to me.

The worst denizen of the demimonde in my town would not be referred to as being that, and she's an alleged paedophile and really horrible creature.

Murphy
07-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Strange. I've heard women being called "cunts" like men plenty of times before.

Allenson
07-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Yeah, as mentioned, it's the ultimate insult for a woman here in America, reserved for only dire times.

Peasant
07-19-2011, 01:06 PM

It's because your a right chivalrous cunt. No, but anyone can be called it? It doesn't sound any more ridiculous at all.

Wulfhere
07-19-2011, 01:31 PM
It's because your a right chivalrous cunt. No, but anyone can be called it? It doesn't sound any more ridiculous at all.

It's nothing to do with chivalry. It just doesn't sound right. In the same way that we might say "fuck off" or "piss off", but never, for some reason, "shit off".

Peasant
07-19-2011, 01:33 PM
It was a shitty joke daft cunt. ;) It sounds normal though to me, it is just used as an insult for men more often.

Wulfhere
07-19-2011, 01:36 PM
It was a shitty joke daft cunt. ;) It sounds normal though to me, it is just used as an insult for men more often.

Maybe its just a Midlands thing then, you cunt.

Wyn
07-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Wulf, you should've known that no cunt'd be interested in actually discussing the use of the word 'cunt' with any seriousness.

Electronic God-Man
07-19-2011, 02:33 PM
I think I got temporarily banned once for calling some female member a cunt.

Fortis in Arduis
07-19-2011, 02:42 PM
jTifRi3qDkU

_______
08-16-2011, 09:10 PM
i probably use it for men or masculine women. i call both men and women 'dick' or 'dickhead', tho! :D

Curtis24
08-16-2011, 09:19 PM
I don't use the word, its crass and low-class. I always think its funny how middle-class professionals use the word, thinking its makes them seem tough.

Jack B
08-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Strange. I've heard women being called "cunts" like men plenty of times before.

Same, it's just an insult here, male or female.

Logan
08-16-2011, 10:02 PM
I would imagine that all have seen this.

kgZZ82tp5es

I've heard it, rarely, here and there on three Continents. Though, not in mixed company. I do not recall ever having used it.

Osweo
08-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Man I used to work with from Ayrshire used it more or less as a general pronoun. Rather like the Finnic languages, in this respect. :D

"See that cunt there? Yer steck it in this cunt, turn the cunt on, hold the cunt like this, put it in that cunt there and the cunt's off, yer cunt." - 'Chas', while demonstrating the use of a Kango.

The Ripper
08-16-2011, 10:24 PM
In Finnish the corresponding word quite effortlessly transforms from (several) noun(s) to verb, from adjective to adverb, hell, it can even function as punctuation.

o__o
04-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Usually it's an insult toward males

Vasconcelos
04-01-2013, 10:14 PM

You win the necro trophy!

Kazimiera
04-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Both male and female. But there are worse words in Afrikaans which you resort to when you run out of English. One of the worst probably being "mother's blood cunt". It doesn't have the same effect in English though.

Germanicus
04-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Being an Englishman I would never direct the Cunt word to an English woman; In the world of men in which I come into contact with direct it to each other quite freely, it's not the word to men that is insulting, it is the severity or act that directs it too you that is the insult..

Methmatician
04-02-2013, 01:27 AM
It's more of a male thing here in Australia.

Caismeachd
04-02-2013, 03:57 AM
The way I see it is that it's a bit too rude (crossing the line) to call a woman a cunt in the UK. It's almost like slapping or something you just wouldn't do in good taste. But calling another guy a cunt (they use it in Australia the same way. My Australian friend called me a cunt on my fb profile for everyone to see) is just a term on endearment.

In US people don't really use the word very much. They wouldn't call another man a cunt. It would be used as a very nasty/ultimate insult like others have mentioned. Like if a woman found another woman cheating on their man they'd lash out and say "You stupid f*cking cunt! I'll kill you!" or something like that. It's only reserved for very nasty moments mostly I think.

Caismeachd
04-02-2013, 03:58 AM
In Finnish the corresponding word quite effortlessly transforms from (several) noun(s) to verb, from adjective to adverb, hell, it can even function as punctuation.

Vittu. Vittun. Vittua. Etc. They use the word cunt like how others use the word "fucking".

Sikeliot
04-03-2013, 04:08 AM
Here, it is used toward women in instances when "bitch" is considered inadequate in describing just how horrible the woman in question is.

SkyBurn
04-03-2013, 04:15 AM
Over here, the term is used extremely loosely.

It's actually a term of endearment for guys...calling somebody a 'loose cunt' is like saying they're a cool guy. For women, it becomes a lot more offensive.

Some Australian comedians on the word (warning: strong language!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-SUhJT3g1c

Loki
04-03-2013, 04:29 AM

To males: insult because you call them women

To females: you insult her private parts; denigrate her for being a woman

Bobby Martnen
07-04-2018, 06:50 AM

In America, that would be taken as "I went to the party, no one there wanted to have sex with me, so I came home."