PDA

View Full Version : Historic Lancashire info?

Bridie
07-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Does anyone here from the UK have a sound knowledge of local history from around the area just north of Manchester, Lancashire? There are a few gaps in the research that I and other family members of mine have been conducting regarding the Ainsworth side of our family. I was hoping that someone could help. (Longshot, I know.)

Rundown of my Ainsworth ancestry (copied and pasted from a post I made in a geneaology forum)...

- Robert de Ainsworth (b. about 1170 - first named in a charter 1212);

- two sons recorded : Elias and Robert (Latter born about 1205); (Elias son of Robert de Ainsworth granted to Gilbert de Southworth and his heirs his lordship of a whole fourth part of the vill of Middleton, in return for a mark of silver; Towneley MS. HH, no.1713. It is curious that Ainsworth is a hamlet of Middleton, near Manchester;Robert de Ainsworth may have been the Robert de Middleton of 1212."

From: 'Townships: Houghton, Middleton and Arbury', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 4 (1911), pp. 166-168. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41401 )

- Robert had a son named William de Ainsworth and a daughter Maud de Ainsworth both of whom were landowners at Middleton Manor.

- William had 3 sons recorded Robert, John and William;

- Robert had a son Robert who married Isabel Woolston in 1324 (her father was Richard de Woolston, landowner at Woolston and Poulton - "Robert de Ainsworth in 1324 gave land in Ainsworth to Robert his son and heiron his marriage with Isabel daughter of Richard de Woolston; Towneley MS.GG, no. 1690." http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53025#n9 )

- Robert and Isabel had two sons recorded, Robert and John (the latter married Matilda de Middleton 1342 - perhaps a 1st cousin?);

- Robert had another son named Robert;

- Robert had a son named John who acquired Lordship of Pleasington manor when he married Agnes de Winckley in 1396 (Agnes was said to be a descendent of Leofwin the Saxon, Lord of Pleasington and Gamaliel, Lord of the Manor and lay rector of Blackburn);

- They had a son named Ellis who had a son named Lawrence who married a Margaret Talbot in 1440;

- Lawrence and Margaret's eldest son Henry inherited Pleasington Manor. Another son of theirs was John (my direct ancestor) and he inherited estate lands in Middleton Parish, near Rochdale;

- John had sons named Thomas (eldest son who inherited the estate lands) and my direct ancestor, Robert ;

- Robert's son was Richard who had a son named John who married Ann Liptrot on the 18 Nov. 1604;

- Their son John (b. 28 Jan. 1599) was married 4 Dec. 1624;

- He had a son, Rodger, who married Ellen Warburton 3 May 1656;
They had 3 sons, John (my direct ancestor), Robert (b. 1660) and William (b. 1664);

- John married Ann Oldham 18 Oct. 1681 and their son Peter Ainsworth (1682 - 1929, born in Prestwich) married Mary Hilton (of Little Bolton) in 1707at St Peter's Church, Bolton;

- Peter and Mary had 3 sons, John (1708 - 1739), Peter (1713 - 1780) and Richard (1717 - 1758);

- Peter Ainsworth was the founder of Halliwell bleachworks, Lancashire and was a pioneer of chemical bleaching. He married Alice Galland and together they had 10 children; their youngest being Thomas Ainsworth (1758 - 1831) who was my 5x Great-Grandfather (whom I linked to ealier);

- Thomas (a prominent Lancashire cotton industrialist) married Betty Hargreaves. They had 13 children, the 9th of whom was Thomas Hargreaves Ainsworth);

- Thomas Hargreaves Ainsworth (1795 - 1841) married Jane Bower in 1820.

- Only son of Thomas and Jane, Alfted Bower Ainsworth (1827 - 1920) married Elizabeth Sugden in 1851 and emigrated to Australia in 1852.

- 5th child of Alfred and Elizabeth, Alfred Edward St John Ainsworth (1857 - 1943) married Christina Sutherland in 1883.

- 7th child of Alfred and Christina, Alice Marguerite Ainsworth (1893 - 1950) married Percival J Robinson (1894 - 1953) of Bradford, in 1922 (2nd marriage for Alice). Percival had been an orphan sent from Bradford Union Workhouse to Australia as part of the British Child Migrant Scheme.

- 1st child of Alice and Percival was my grandma! :D

Obviously the time periods, regarding the area just north of Manchester, Lancashire, that I would like to find info on would be prior to about 1700.

TIA

johngaunt
07-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Does anyone here from the UK have a sound knowledge of local history from around the area just north of Manchester, Lancashire? There are a few gaps in the research that I and other family members of mine have been conducting regarding the Ainsworth side of our family. I was hoping that someone could help. (Longshot, I know.)

Rundown of my Ainsworth ancestry (copied and pasted from a post I made in a geneaology forum)...

Obviously the time periods, regarding the area just north of Manchester, Lancashire, that I would like to find info on would be prior to about 1700.

TIA

Some of my family were from Skirton in Lancashire and south Cumbria. Ill have a look and see what I have, none of the family names you mention rings a bell though. Mine were all Slingers, Browns, Shuttleworths, Dukes, but ill check later !

Osweo
07-20-2011, 11:48 AM
I'll come back to this one. I used to ride my bike through Middleton when I was little, on the way to Heaton Park. :D

In the meantime, see my most recent post in the 'pictures of your country' thread.

Bridie
07-20-2011, 11:51 AM
I'll come back to this one.I'll hold you to that. :p

I used to ride my bike through Middleton when I was little, on the way to Heaton Park. :D

In the meantime, see my most recent post in the 'pictures of your country' thread.

Will do. :) Cheers!

Osweo
07-20-2011, 10:53 PM
I'll hold you to that. :p
Will do. :) Cheers!

Ere tis, by the way;
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=473349&postcount=554

Now... erm... whaddyerwanna know?

It's a suburb of Manchester. Typical Northern milltown, sort of thing.

Great website, here;
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.mcdonagh1/middleton%20page.html

Like most Northern minor towns, it's very under the weather at present. Fucking depressing to go back. Somalis are taking over Moston, apparently, and Middleton no doubt has a fair few Pakis knocking around now. :rolleyes2:

Fuck, I'm depressing myself here again! :D
Have another architectural thing;
http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/Culture/Architecture/Manchester-Architecture-part-one