PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Bans Weird Names for Babies

Jägerstaffel
07-24-2011, 07:07 PM
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/weird-wide-web/new-zealand-bans-weird-names-kids-lucifer

The country’s Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages has been cracking down on parents who get too creative when naming their kids, Australia’s Herald Sun reports.

The list of weird names for kids that are banned by New Zealand’s names registrar has grown to include Lucifer, Duke, Messiah and 89

I don't see anything wrong with a young Lucifer.

http://amazingdata.com/mediadata5/Image/luciferflipped_amazingdata_20090715203212.jpg

Your thoughts?

Óttar
07-24-2011, 07:17 PM
What's wrong with "Duke"? I can see banning strange US black names like "Flopecia" and "Flozell." Poor kids.

One kid here, a white one, was named "4Real" and the courts disallowed it.

Peasant
07-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Duke is a title and therefore should not be used as a forename.

Treffie
07-24-2011, 07:29 PM

Chav names should be banned in Britain; eg Chardonnay etc

Peasant
07-24-2011, 07:30 PM
McKenzie as a first name, what is that bullshit all about? :rage I always imagine they get it from the shitty brand.

BeerBaron
07-24-2011, 08:31 PM

Well, us colonials usually use Duke as a dogs name.

Crossbow
07-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Are Mohammed, Ali, Abdul, Faruk etc on that list too?

Murphy
07-24-2011, 09:40 PM
I really don't see what's wrong with 'Duke'. But I do believe there has to be some restraint on a parent's.. "creativity".

Eldritch
07-24-2011, 11:32 PM
I don't see anything wrong with a young Lucifer.

http://amazingdata.com/mediadata5/Image/luciferflipped_amazingdata_20090715203212.jpg

Your thoughts?

I, quite sincerely, don't see what the problem with "Lucifer" is, if Gabriel, Rafael and Michael are allowed. Except that the kid might be teased at school because of it, but plenty of parents put their kids in danger of that by naming them Poindexter, Hortensia, Pollard or Floribundia (since we're dealing with Anglo names).

Messiah? Hmmm, in South America the name Jesús is very common. Still, maybe not.

Eldritch
07-24-2011, 11:37 PM

From the story:

In 2008, New Zealand’s names registrar drew international attention when it approved such non-traditional names as Benson and Hedges for a set of twins

Doesn't get much more chav than that. :coffee:

Finnish magistrates are apparently racist against orcs and wizards, as "Frodo" and "Eowyn" are okay, but "Shagrat", "Saruman" and "Gandalf" are not. :mad:

Grumpy Cat
07-24-2011, 11:37 PM

LOL Chavs in Britain give their kids names like that? Sounds like a black American name.

Anyways, I have two little cousins named Cain and Abel. They play in the same hockey league but on different teams, which is quite fitting.

Sikeliot
07-25-2011, 12:00 AM
I know someone named Duke!

But I wish the US would ban names like Shaniqua, Tyrell, Janae, LaTanya, Shanisha, and anything else ending in -isha, -iqua, -ita, etc.

safinator
07-25-2011, 12:03 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Barreldriver
07-25-2011, 12:14 AM
I know someone named Duke!

But I wish the US would ban names like Shaniqua, Tyrell, Janae, LaTanya, Shanisha, and anything else ending in -isha, -iqua, -ita, etc.

Most retarded name I ever saw was that of a grocer cashier named La'shawntuh. Took all my strength to not defecate in my britches from chuckling. :p

If your name doesn't exist in a real language then it shouldn't be bestowed.

Eldritch
07-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Most retarded name I ever saw was that of a grocer cashier named La'shawntuh. Took all my strength to not defecate in my britches from chuckling. :p

The most ridiculous Afro-American name I've heard of was Latrina. :lightbul:

Sikeliot
07-25-2011, 12:20 AM

Some of the worst I've heard;

Shaquita
Shantavia
Aurelis
Laquisha
LaSqueesha (NOT EVEN KIDDING)
LoQuanda

Óttar
07-25-2011, 12:39 AM
A lot of names could be construed as titles. Steven from Gr. Stephanos means "crown", granted it's not exactly a title, but take Earl or Carl --> Carlos for example. LeRoi (Fr. "the King"). I am sure there are others that I am forgetting. In the end, I don't see what's so bad about 'Duke.'

Husaria
07-25-2011, 12:52 AM
Why don't they ban Muhammad?

Logan
07-25-2011, 12:56 AM
A discenting comment.

I would not think it anyones concern or business, but the parents, unless it vulgar. What I personally think is not revelant. I agree with most of the comments above, but as with other matters the childs fate is with the parents.

Troll's Puzzle
07-25-2011, 12:56 AM

the ugly face of class hated, posted by a tory boy :rolleyes: :tsk:

:icon_wink:

Barreldriver
07-25-2011, 12:57 AM
The most ridiculous Afro-American name I've heard of was Latrina. :lightbul:

I'd say shame on the parents for naming their kid that. What better way to show endearment towards you child other than to name them after the latrine. :p

SwordoftheVistula
07-25-2011, 02:38 AM
Names that don't fit any known spelling or pronunciation pattern or that are just numbers & symbols like 89 should be banned.

I don't see anything wrong with 'Duke', it's been a fairly common nickname in the 20th century here.

Also a lot of names that are common now would have been considered 'weird' in past decades.

Barreldriver
07-25-2011, 02:41 AM
I'm gonna name my son "Exclamation Point" and my daughter "Toilaypapuh". :D

Murphy
07-25-2011, 02:43 AM
If God Wills I am ever to have kids, all the girls are getting Tolkienesque names. The boys all are being called some variation of 'Patrick'.

Rainraven
07-25-2011, 03:14 AM
A New Zealand judge has chastised two parents for calling their 9-year-old girl Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/world/233591-parents-banned-from-calling-child-talula-does-the-hula-from-hawaii#ixzz1T5Cv9CRP

Which was somehow deemed better than Duke because it was allowed?! :rolleyes2:

I think the other big naming sin is giving your kid a double name, like William Williams or Stephen Stephenson, it's just mean!

Kadu
07-25-2011, 03:23 AM
We only admit Portuguese names here in Portugal. We have an official list and I'm perfectly fine with it.

We were so strict about this, that even Portuguese citizens with dual citizenship had to change their foreign first names to the Portuguese-like version when requesting an ID card, e.g. if Murphy were the son of Portuguese immigrants in the UK and if his parents would decide to return to Portugal he would be forced to change his first two names to João Paulo upon request of an ID card.

Grumpy Cat
07-25-2011, 03:46 AM
I'm gonna name my son "Exclamation Point"

LtJozAbC5SY

Amapola
07-25-2011, 06:53 AM
It seems that if people don't have the dignity to give a decent name to their kids, they will be forced not to show off about it. Not bad at all.

Treffie
07-25-2011, 08:12 PM
the ugly face of class hated,

http://x23.xanga.com/0dd8800bd8320219346973/m40483593.gif

posted by a tory boy :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/wasteofspace04/o-rly.jpg