PDA

View Full Version : Children & video games

Boudica
07-26-2011, 03:50 AM
Do you think that it's right for a young child to play violent rated M video games (the rated R of video games)? For example(s), Call Of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, etc. I enjoy playing Call Of Duty, and I see young children on here quite frequently, children that are on microphones, children who are most of the time being cursed at by older people, or even cursing badly themselves.. How are parents so silly to let their children who don't even know the meaning of sex sit behind a TV and play a game where their only motive is to kill people? Video game graphics are becoming more and more realistic by the day, these graphics are incomparable to Nintendo's Mario, it literally looks like you are a real person shooting real people..

Another thing that I have noticed is that children are spending most of their time inside playing these video games. When I was their age I was always outside riding bikes with my friends.. What are these kids doing? Ordering mommy around for cookies while they shoot people on TV.. A study showed that violent video games can actually make a child violent themselves.. What do you think of this? Do you think that it is ok for 12 years old and younger to act as some sort of tyrant or a soldier on a game?

SwordoftheVistula
07-26-2011, 04:35 AM
Don't see a problem with it. There were some younger kids in my gaming clan when I was younger, and they all turned out fine.

It's certainly better than when I was a kid, and they were all mentally vegetating watching TV.

CelticViking
03-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Lord of the rings games were pretty cool.

rhiannon
03-19-2012, 08:19 AM
I will be keeping my son from playing pretty much all video games. We hate them.

Susi
03-19-2012, 04:28 PM
My brother played all sorts of games when we were young, and I did too. Though since it was in the 90ies, graphics weren't good enough to really be M/R or whatever. My parents didn't mind very much, and talked to me about issues with that kind of game as I got older, but certainly didn't prevent me from playing them. To be honest, I prefer (violent) games with some thought to them, like MGS series or Rogue Spear. GTA is fun but you really have to be at least a teenager to play them.

Pallantides
03-21-2012, 01:34 AM
I will be keeping my son from playing pretty much all video games. We hate them.

How cruel...:(

When I was a kid my parents let me play video games for two hours a day.

rhiannon
03-21-2012, 12:25 PM
How cruel...:(

When I was a kid my parents let me play video games for two hours a day.

Sorry if my stance offends you:) Hubs and I hate them and feel they don't help kids in any real way.

Now if we could be guaranteed our son would turn out cool like you, Pallantides, we might reconsider our stance:wink

CelticViking
03-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Sorry if my stance offends you:) Hubs and I hate them and feel they don't help kids in any real way.

Now if we could be guaranteed our son would turn out cool like you, Pallantides, we might reconsider our stance:wink

Sometimes they can help them be creative and brave :p

Zack_Fair
03-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Do you think that it's right for a young child to play violent rated M video games (the rated R of video games)? For example(s), Call Of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, etc. I enjoy playing Call Of Duty, and I see young children on here quite frequently, children that are on microphones, children who are most of the time being cursed at by older people, or even cursing badly themselves.. How are parents so silly to let their children who don't even know the meaning of sex sit behind a TV and play a game where their only motive is to kill people? Video game graphics are becoming more and more realistic by the day, these graphics are incomparable to Nintendo's Mario, it literally looks like you are a real person shooting real people..

Another thing that I have noticed is that children are spending most of their time inside playing these video games. When I was their age I was always outside riding bikes with my friends.. What are these kids doing? Ordering mommy around for cookies while they shoot people on TV.. A study showed that violent video games can actually make a child violent themselves.. What do you think of this? Do you think that it is ok for 12 years old and younger to act as some sort of tyrant or a soldier on a game?

Amateurs! I started when I was 9! Total Overdose, baby!