PDA

View Full Version : Who would you side with in a conflict between the US and Russia? Neither, say most Europeans

The Lawspeaker
11-01-2019, 03:36 AM
https://cms.qz.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/New-survey-on-european-attitudes-towards-the-US-e1568044925252.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=410&h=231
REUTERS/Francois Lenoir

Out with the old but not in with the new

Who would you side with in a conflict between the US and Russia? Neither, say most Europeans (https://qz.com/1705388/europeans-dont-trust-the-us-or-trump-poll-says/)

By Annabelle Timsit (https://qz.com/author/atimsitqz/) in European UnionSeptember 10, 2019

Donald Trump has damaged America’s standing in the world in his three years as president, and nowhere is this more apparent than in Europe.

A new report (https://www.ecfr.eu/page/-/popular_demand_for_strong_european_foreign_policy_ what_people_want.pdf) (pdf), published by the think tank European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR), found that Europeans “no longer believe that the US can serve as the guarantor of their security.” They also overwhelmingly favor neutrality rather than siding with the US on global issues. The survey covered more than 60,000 people across 14 European Union member states, including France, Slovakia, Poland, and Spain.

When asked “whose side should your country take in a conflict between the United States and Russia?” the majority of respondents in all 14 EU countries said “neither.” Poland displayed the most pro-American sentiment, with 33% of respondents opting to side with the US. In Austria, that number was 4%. (That’s despite the fact that Russia is intensely disliked in Europe. According to a December 2018 Pew survey (https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2018/12/06/image-of-putin-russia-suffers-internationally/), 66% of Europeans across 10 countries had an unfavorable opinion of Russia.)

The survey also found that anywhere between 54% and 83% of respondents wanted their country to stay neutral in case of a dispute between the US and China. This, of course, is no longer a theoretical matter given the ongoing trade war between the world’s two largest economies. Here again, Poles were the most pro-American of the bunch, with 24% stating they’d like their country to side with the US. Only 4% of Austrians, 6% of Greeks, and 8% of Slovakians said the same.

The report isn’t all bad news for the transatlantic relationship. It also shows that, in all 14 EU member states, “large minorities of people believe that their own country has a special bilateral relationship with the US.”

Still, there has been a clear breakdown in Europeans’ trust in the US, and it’s part of a larger breakdown of faith in the global system. Many of the ways in which the world used to work, says Susi Dennison, a senior fellow at ECFR and the author of the report, have “now fallen away.”

“Europeans rightly feel that they’re operating in a world where the rules aren’t so clear,” she explains. “That is feeding into this idea … of taking its destiny into its own hands, precisely because they want to feel like they’re in safe hands, and they don’t at the moment.”

(The article contains the charts which can also be seen here (https://www.theatlas.com/charts/UUeUCkksf) and here (https://www.theatlas.com/charts/HYLXxmHKz))

The Lawspeaker
11-01-2019, 03:46 AM
We've had enough.

JamesBond007
11-01-2019, 03:46 AM
It is good to see you posted from a site like reuters and not some fakenews site. I only read news from Reuters and the Associated Press as I consider everything else propaganda.

The Lawspeaker
11-01-2019, 03:47 AM
It is good to see you posted from a site like reuters and not some fakenews site. I only read news from Reuters and the Associated Press as I consider everything else propaganda.
Imagine the implications for America, if they were to lose NATO. They'd be right back in 1941 without any FOB's and early warning systems (which are all in Europe and on Greenland).

JamesBond007
11-01-2019, 03:55 AM
Imagine the implications for America, if they were to lose NATO. They'd be right back in 1941 without any FOB's and early warning systems (which are all in Europe and on Greenland).

Your preaching to the choir. A lot of liberals in America hate America and I share that feeling. I don't like America I just happened to be born here. If I had to choose where I was born it would be Cornwall England even though I know continental Europeans don't like the idea of Brexit.

It is not exactly easy to get European EU citizenship either. For instance, to get French citizenship the French Foreign Legions is the best route unless you pay a corrupt exorbitant amount of money to the country which is like bribery to buy citizenship outright. So, I was just unlucky to be born in America.

The Lawspeaker
11-01-2019, 04:11 AM
Your preaching to the choir. A lot of liberals in America hate America and I share that feeling. I don't like America I just happened to be born here. If I had to choose where I was born it would be Cornwall England even though I know continental Europeans don't like the idea of Brexit.

It is not exactly easy to get European EU citizenship either. For instance, to get French citizenship the French Foreign Legions is the best route unless you pay a corrupt exorbitant amount of money to the country which is like bribery to buy citizenship outright. So, I was just unlucky to be born in America.
There is, indeed, no right to "return" for "European" Americas.

Evrim
11-01-2019, 04:19 AM
Many Europeans may say so, just like most people from allies countries didn't want ww2. But, if country have a war people become ought to fight against their pointed enemy.
Anyway, I think Europe is too old and hedonist for a new war.

JamesBond007
11-01-2019, 04:25 AM
There is, indeed, no right to "return" for "European" Americas.

There exists some policy for Italian Americans and Irish Americans to return but the policy is strict. Everyone else like me is screwed. A lot of genetic calculators say my closest populations are British or Dutch (not that I think I am Dutch I look more British or even French but the Cornish English are the most French looking people in Britain not that they look 100% French though). There is no right of return for other European nations AFAIK.

PAGANE
11-01-2019, 04:40 AM
:) There will be no time to choose a country. In a military conflict between the US and Russia, everyone on this planet will lose.

JamesBond007
11-01-2019, 04:48 AM
:) There will be no time to choose a country. In a military conflict between the US and Russia, everyone on this planet will lose.

True, but even with nuclear winter there may be a small band of survivors that carries on the human race. I'm not sure it would lunatic American preppers but more like the elites with their fortified emergency bunkers solidly placed in mountains.

PAGANE
11-01-2019, 04:59 AM
True, but even with nuclear winter there may be a small band of survivors that carries on the human race. I'm not sure it would lunatic American preppers but more like the elites with their fortified emergency bunkers solidly placed in mountains.
Yes, small groups will probably survive, but only if the planet does not explode from the subsequent natural disasters

Kamal900
11-01-2019, 06:32 AM
I would neither side with the Muricans or the Russians either. They're both under the boots of Zionism. It's just a matter of time before the US collapses and Israel takes the throne of world power from it with the help of the Russians and the Chinese.

Evrim
11-01-2019, 03:24 PM
I would neither side with the Muricans or the Russians either. They're both under the boots of Zionism. It's just a matter of time before the US collapses and Israel takes the throne of world power from it with the help of the Russians and the Chinese.

There's no side free of ZOG, probably only North Korea. Even it may not be because of communism's ZOG infiltrated nature.