PDA

View Full Version : classify and place Portuguese

Jana
11-07-2019, 04:31 PM
https://storage.googleapis.com/www-theplayerstribune-com/uploads/2357480a-9x16-181202sr_joaofelix_p1745_0026.jpg
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/tKm45U3iJveaSanOkSwsaw--~A/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9ODAw/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/homerun/nbcsports.com/383046b8fcb9040fb2e6cfeef2e6dee3
https://www.expressandstar.com/resizer/4KKSZ1gTvq7WPQX7KbyDfGm-7ZM=/1000x0/filters:quality(100)/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-expressandstar-mna.s3.amazonaws.com/public/HZW6FJ2IWJCDXDRM3R3PSSNNTY.jpg
https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2019/06/11/10/Joao-Felix.jpg
https://news.cgtn.com/news/7741544e33596a4e3367444f3463544f78496a4e31457a6333 566d54/img/dac11d7d80be4e9d84397ca24dcf4bae/dac11d7d80be4e9d84397ca24dcf4bae.jpg
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/gKCAwAS70EG3rI2rngfX2xk4-4E=/0x0:2253x3173/1200x800/filters:focal(950x265:1310x625)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/65380687/1172972909.jpg.0.jpg

Latinus
11-07-2019, 04:36 PM
Gracile-Med.
A type that would be perceived as non-Euro looking if he was Brazilian, impassable in Europe.

Enviado de meu SM-G610M usando o Tapatalk

chociprasa
11-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Trans-Med. Pass in North Africa and southern Iberia.

Latinus
11-07-2019, 04:40 PM
In the third picture, he doesn't look exotic to me, just darker than average.

Morena
11-07-2019, 04:40 PM
Gracile Med. I don't think his face is robust enough for Berid.

Nassbean
11-07-2019, 04:42 PM
Trans-Med. Pass in North Africa and southern Iberia.

nope he can't pass in NA

Ford
11-07-2019, 04:43 PM
Looks typical South American to me.

Latinus
11-07-2019, 04:44 PM
nope he can't pass in NAReally? Even by normal people that doesn't analyze phenotypes?
So, would you say he simply looks like a dark Portuguese, not particularly NA?

Jana
11-07-2019, 04:46 PM
I agree he doesn't have MENA features at all. I would also guess he is Latino rather. Apperently he is fully Portuguese.

Samnium
11-07-2019, 04:47 PM
Not as NA but certainly as Latino I think.

Nassbean
11-07-2019, 04:47 PM
Really? Even by nornal people that doesn't analyze phenotypes?
So, would you say he simply looks like a dark Portuguese, not particularly NA?

For normal people maybe but to me he clearly has a european vibe or a south american one he doesn't look berber at all to me

Latinus
11-07-2019, 04:55 PM
Not as NA but certainly as Latino I think.All Southern Euro phenotypes pass as local looking here. In the case of Brazil, I would probably think he is a pardo, because many of them don't look much diferent from him, darker than average Southern Euro types might be perceived as mixed race around here.

I would even say that many phenotypes I might perceived as mixed Brazilian are simply darker/coarser "Iberians/Southern Europeans".

Samnium
11-07-2019, 04:57 PM
All Southern Euro phenotypes pass as local looking here. In the case of Brazil, I would probably think he is a pardo, because many of them don't look much diferent from him, darker than average Southern Euro types might be perceived as mixed race around here.

I would even say that many phenotypes I might perceived as mixed Brazilian are simply darker/coarser "Iberians/Southern Europeans".

Honestly I've seen quite a few S.Euros other than Portuguese of course that look Latino and that could pass in America Latina.

Not heavily admixed Latinos but like you know like those people that have 20/25% Amerindian with some residual SSA

PT Tagus
11-07-2019, 04:57 PM
Gracile-Med

Pseudo-exotic look, he's just dark.

Iberia

Pedro Ruben
11-07-2019, 04:58 PM
In my opinion it's a "normal" Portuguese, I don't see anything exotic about it

Latinus
11-07-2019, 04:59 PM
Gracile Med. I don't think his face is robust enough for Berid.True. I'll fix it.

Enr1989
11-07-2019, 05:00 PM
SSA detected

Kivan
11-07-2019, 05:03 PM
Trans-Mediterranid.

Pass in SW Europe.

Latinus
11-07-2019, 05:05 PM
In my opinion it's a "normal" Portuguese, I don't see anything exotic about itInteresting...
I would say being Latino-Americano distorces my perception of some Southern Euro phenotypes, this guy doesn't look much diferent from Brazilian pardos with finer features.

In Brazil, sometimes it's hard to tell apart some dark "Southern Euro" types from mixed race people with a very Euro-shifted appearance.

Tooting Carmen
11-07-2019, 05:22 PM
Interesting...
I would say being Latino-Americano distorces my perception of some Southern Euro phenotypes, this guy doesn't look much diferent from Brazilian pardos with finer features.

In Brazil, sometimes it's hard to tell apart some dark "Southern Euro" types from mixed race people with a very Euro-shifted appearance.

Yes, I am increasingly convinced that at least some (NOT most) Latin Americans who are perceived to be 'mixed-race' are actually just exotic Southern European types.

TheMaestro
11-07-2019, 05:23 PM
Him and Mbappe bright bright future.

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas
11-07-2019, 11:14 PM
In my opinion it's a "normal" Portuguese, I don't see anything exotic about it

Yep, one of us. Not the quintessential Portuguese if such thing even exists but it is not like people like him do not exist.

Gracile-Med.

11-07-2019, 11:18 PM
And please, people have to start to learning how to spell Portuguese properly, not Portugese :P It is like the tenth time I have seen it spelled like that as of lately.

Pedro Ruben
11-07-2019, 11:23 PM
And please, people have to start to learning how to spell Portuguese properly, not Portugese :P It is like the tenth time I have seen it spelled like that as of lately.

Yes Portuguese, not Portugese! :D :p

Latinus
11-07-2019, 11:26 PM
Yes Portuguese, not Portugese! :D :p

When I was a kid my mom always used to corret my grammar mistake, I used to write Portugual instead of Portugal.

PT Tagus
11-07-2019, 11:31 PM
Sometimes I type Portugual on computer keyboard. :lol:

Pedro Ruben
11-07-2019, 11:33 PM
When I was a kid my mom always used to corret my grammar mistake, I used to write Portugual instead of Portugal.

You were emitting some northern accents that when pronouncing PortugUal (only in word pronunciation) to Portugal, so wasn't totally wrong :p I'm joking

Zroota
11-08-2019, 12:46 AM
The shape of his mouth is not very European. Something is exotic about his eyes as well. Looks very similar to Iraqis that are an Arabian/Turkmen mix (trust me, I've lived among them and he'll go unnoticed in Baghdad). But this is just a superficial resemblance. Could he have Amerind ancestry (perhaps his forefathers might have come from Brazil)? He just doesn't look fully Portuguese.

https://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1150395.1346685466!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/article-iraq-0903.jpg
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/18/article-2661134-1EE4315B00000578-762_964x641.jpg
https://s.hs-data.com/bilder/spieler/gross/240644.jpg

Not saying woggy Portuguese types don't exist, but the guy in OP I'd associate his looks more with Brazilians. This is a Portuguese man on the wog end of the spectrum (still looks European, but 'dark'):

http://ko-te.com/i/posts/1974/17914.jpg

But the guy in the OP...I digress...:confused:

EDIT: I know some Iberians can have a pseudo Latino or MENA look and still be 100% European. So I won't be surprised if he is pure European stock. But I'm just having a different perspective and not being a sheep about it, since virtually everyone in this thread classified him as a Gracile Med and said he's "typical" in Portugal, which seemed kinda fishy to me. People seem to be too afraid to say "[insert person] looks a bit exotic for his ethnicity" because of fear of being scolded by other members in the forum for "darkwashing". If he were Azeri or Algerian and somebody said "looks Portuguese", I'm sure y'all will be mad about it. Bias never ceases to amaze me (and piss me off). :rolleyes:

Cristiano viejo
11-08-2019, 01:07 AM
He would be perceived as mixed in Spain.

Him and Mbappe bright bright future.

This guy is a fake and a fraud. Atlético supporters are starting to notice it.

Bakha
11-08-2019, 01:18 AM
Atlanto-berid

Cristiano viejo
11-08-2019, 01:22 AM
Atlanto-berid
Silence, Gypsy-Turk :picard1:
Atlanto Berid, he says...

Cernunnos
11-08-2019, 01:25 AM
"Portugese"? Again? Are you all partialy illiterate? It's like the tenth time I see a similar error in this forum.

Latinus
11-08-2019, 01:34 AM
"Portugese"? Again? Are you all partialy illiterate? It's like the tenth time I see a similar error in this forum.

Relax, dude.

Zroota
11-08-2019, 01:34 AM
I don't blame them. It's a tricky word to spell because it's pretty much pronounced like "Portugees" in English. The 'U' seems really out of place and confusing since we don't even utter the U.

In Dutch, it's simply spelt like how it's pronounced: Portugees.

German speakers will have a harder time writing it: Portugiesisch :D

In Swedish it's also simply Portugis.

Illiterate is habitually confusing "their" with "there", spelling "discusting" like "disgusting", and "should of" instead of "should've". Getting an ethnic name wrong, which already has so many spelling national variations, doesn't make you illiterate. I understand that it's annoying though.

Jana
11-08-2019, 09:35 AM

What is the big deal? English isn't my native language and we don't pronounce that second U in English, maybe that is why so many people make the same mistake. It's pronounced: ''Por-tu-geeze''
Anyway, I corrected the error.

FilhoV
11-08-2019, 11:52 AM
He is young still going through puberty he even has braces

His parents are much more mainstream he reminds me of a friend who is full PT

FilhoV
11-08-2019, 11:56 AM
https://twitter.com/listau11/status/1191437641792851968?s=21

TheMaestro
11-08-2019, 11:58 AM
He would be perceived as mixed in Spain.

This guy is a fake and a fraud. Atlético supporters are starting to notice it.

Fraud in what case? So far, I’ve seen he is incredible jugador. Great first touch and technique, Simeone wouldn’t start this young guy if he was bad. If you are talking about his looks, I don’t know, Im not Portuguese, they know if he pass.

11-08-2019, 12:11 PM
I know some Iberians can have a pseudo Latino or MENA look and still be 100% European. So I won't be surprised if he is pure European stock. But I'm just having a different perspective and not being a sheep about it, since virtually everyone in this thread classified him as a Gracile Med and said he's "typical" in Portugal, which seemed kinda fishy to me. People seem to be too afraid to say "[insert person] looks a bit exotic for his ethnicity" because of fear of being scolded by other members in the forum for "darkwashing". If he were Azeri or Algerian and somebody said "looks Portuguese", I'm sure y'all will be mad about it. Bias never ceases to amaze me (and piss me off). :rolleyes:

There's nothing fishy about it. If we were "afraid" of being "darkwashed" it would be easier for us to find excuses such as "he probably is not fully Portuguese" or "has gypsy ancestry" but we acknowledge that he is Portuguese and there's nothing that indicates that he is not. We leave those type of complexes to our insicure Spanish neighbours who apparentely do not have people with olive skin tone or a somewhat dubious look. By the way, native Portugueses with ancestors from Brazil is extremely rare and unliquely but for some reason some people think that he is somewhat common to find Portugueses who had a Brazilian great-grandparent. It is usually the other way around: Brazilians with a Portuguese great-grandparent.

http://cdn.vidas.pt/images/2019-07/img_1200x900$2019_07_08_16_49_23_141504.jpg

With his family.

11-08-2019, 12:13 PM
Fraud in what case? So far, I’ve seen he is incredible jugador. Great first touch and technique, Simeone wouldn’t start this young guy if he was bad. If you are talking about his looks, I don’t know, Im not Portuguese, they know if he pass.

He is an amazing player with a bright future ahead. CV is just butthurt because he plays for Atlético Madrid.

Jana
11-08-2019, 12:15 PM
His family looks standard Portuguese :D

FilhoV
11-08-2019, 01:32 PM
A haircut would do him wonders

Cristiano viejo
11-08-2019, 01:53 PM
In what case?? in every possible case. Journalists who cover Atlético de Madrid are starting to doubt of his sign for the team. Simeonee, for first time in his career, is starting to be criticized VERY HARD, for his policy of signs and for the play of the team.

The Atlético supporters think the same than these journalists. Joao Félix cost 120 millions and he has scored the amazing amount of 2 goals in Liga, people dont forget it.

He is an amazing player with a bright future ahead. CV is just butthurt because he plays for Atlético Madrid.
Jajajajajaja

Yeah, I have a lot of envy of Atlético de Madrid :laugh:

TheMaestro
11-08-2019, 02:42 PM
In what case?? in every possible case. Journalists who cover Atlético de Madrid are starting to doubt of his sign for the team. Simeonee, for first time in his career, is starting to be criticized VERY HARD, for his policy of signs and for the play of the team.

The Atlético supporters think the same than these journalists. Joao Félix cost 120 millions and he has scored the amazing amount of 2 goals in Liga, people dont forget it.

Jajajajajaja

We will see he is just 19, from what I’ve seen on some matches ( I watch only Valencia in LA Liga) he was incredible, still needs time next season is crucial.

Pedro Ruben
11-08-2019, 03:51 PM
I am glad to see that we have real EXPERTS, from far away countries, in Portuguese appearance!! Before them who I am to give my opinion about Portuguese... :D

NOW A TRUTH: João Félix is an amazing Portuguese player :cool:

Latinus
11-08-2019, 10:00 PM
There's nothing fishy about it. If we were "afraid" of being "darkwashed" it would be easier for us to find excuses such as "he probably is not fully Portuguese" or "has gypsy ancestry" but we acknowledge that he is Portuguese and there's nothing that indicates that he is not. We leave those type of complexes to our insicure Spanish neighbours who apparentely do not have people with olive skin tone or a somewhat dubious look. By the way, native Portugueses with ancestors from Brazil is extremely rare and unliquely but for some reason some people think that he is somewhat common to find Portugueses who had a Brazilian great-grandparent. It is usually the other way around: Brazilians with a Portuguese great-grandparent.

http://cdn.vidas.pt/images/2019-07/img_1200x900$2019_07_08_16_49_23_141504.jpg

With his family.

Super familiar faces, talking about his family.
Is the other "boy" his brother?

11-08-2019, 10:04 PM
Super familiar faces, talking about his family.
Is the other "boy" his brother?

Yes, it is his brother, Hugo Félix.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KyOgeEN6cU0/hqdefault.jpg

Cristiano viejo
11-09-2019, 12:34 AM
Yes, it is his brother, Hugo Félix.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KyOgeEN6cU0/hqdefault.jpg
Tons of Portuguese have something on the eye area that makes them off for us.

Cernunnos
11-09-2019, 01:51 PM

Jajajajajaja

Felix is overrated yeah (concerning the Portuguese media), I've heard a few times that he has the same or a similar potential to that of Cristiano Ronaldo, he has tons of potential but no way he will reach CR7's level.

I think Simeone didn't decide shit when Atletico approached and signed Felix for 120 million euros, it was a play move by Jorge Mendes (CR7's agent), and the presidents of Benfica and Atletico.

There's a few reasons why Felix is not playing what people expected of him at La Liga, first he will be only 20 in just a few days he is too young and he is playing his first season abroad in a much better and competitive league; his purchase bid (120 000 000 euros!) puts him under a big preasure so it's natural he will feel the weight of that money Atletico gave for him for some more months, his transfer was completed 4 months ago or so; Simeone's approach to football is not the best for a player like Felix, the argentinian coach is too much defensive, his teams are not celebrated for playing a beautiful football not even an attractive one, Simeone is extremely conservative in the matter's of the Attack and attacking dynamics, he bets too much on counter attacks, that ultra defensive style doesn't benefit Felix and is only suitable for players who are already well established and a bit more mature (Griezmann; Diego Costa etc etc).

He is a wonder kid, but at best he will reach the same category of Bernardo Silva, world class player but will never win a Balon D'Or.

Cernunnos
11-09-2019, 02:21 PM
João Felix is darker than the average but his looks are not that strange for a Portuguese, he is a dark Gracile med with heavy berid.

For comparasion matters, here's some portuguese football players aged 19 and 20, like Felix.

https://www.fpf.pt/selecoes/futebol-masculino/selecao-sub-20/equipa

Cristiano viejo
11-10-2019, 12:16 AM
Felix is overrated yeah (concerning the Portuguese media), I've heard a few times that he has the same or a similar potential to that of Cristiano Ronaldo, he has tons of potential but no way he will reach CR7's level.

I think Simeone didn't decide shit when Atletico approached and signed Felix for 120 million euros, it was a play move by Jorge Mendes (CR7's agent), and the presidents of Benfica and Atletico.

There's a few reasons why Felix is not playing what people expected of him at La Liga, first he will be only 20 in just a few days he is too young and he is playing his first season abroad in a much better and competitive league; his purchase bid (120 000 000 euros!) puts him under a big preasure so it's natural he will feel the weight of that money Atletico gave for him for some more months, his transfer was completed 4 months ago or so; Simeone's approach to football is not the best for a player like Felix, the argentinian coach is too much defensive, his teams are not celebrated for playing a beautiful football not even an attractive one, Simeone is extremely conservative in the matter's of the Attack and attacking dynamics, he bets too much on counter attacks, that ultra defensive style doesn't benefit Felix and is only suitable for players who are already well established and a bit more mature (Griezmann; Diego Costa etc etc).

He is a wonder kid, but at best he will reach the same category of Bernardo Silva, world class player but will never win a Balon D'Or.

Indeed. Joao Felix IMO (and in the opinion of a lot of journalists when they signed him) does not have the style to play in a Simeone team: super defensive, very physical etc, where it is very difficult that talent players can show their abilities. For me it was a surprise Atlético wanted him.