PDA

View Full Version : Friedrich Nietzsche and the Eternal Return

Batavia
11-07-2019, 07:12 PM
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche is one of the best known German philosophers, but he also was a composer, a poet and a philologist.
Eternal return is a theory that the universe and all existence and energy has been recurring, and will continue to recur, in a self-similar form an infinite number of times across infinite time or space. The theory is found in Indian philosophy and other cultures. I think the idea of the eternal recurrence is interesting and it would be good if it was true because all the good things will happen over and over again (the bad ones too of course) - life had a meaning. For Nietzsche it was the biggest life affirmation and I agree - I personally believe its true, maybe its a little bit wishful thinking.
What do you think?

Lousianaboy
11-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Im reading the antichrist

Batavia
11-07-2019, 07:15 PM
Im reading the antichrist

Its one of his best books (after the will to power and the zarathustra).

Batavia
11-12-2019, 03:40 PM
bump

Jacques de Imbelloni
11-17-2019, 03:14 AM
I might sound eurocentric, but cyclical conceptions of time are very abundant in primitive societies.
They derive from the observation of the year seasons and the circle of life of living beings.
For example the mayans had such a literal circular conception of time that they thought that after the end of a cicle of 5200 years, every event in the future will be according to what happened the same year of the past circle.

Arch Hades
03-22-2020, 04:18 PM
I believe something has to be ultimately eternal. Existence/God, whatever you want to call it. I Don't believe it necessarily has to be recurring though.