PDA

View Full Version : Reincarnation or one life?

Hurrem sultana
11-22-2019, 04:42 PM
On one side we have the abrahamic religions islam judaism christianity zoroastrianism who believe in one life and heaven or hell,then we have reincarnation which is the belief of Hindus ,Buddhists,Sikhs and Jains.What idea do you like more?

Batavia
11-22-2019, 07:28 PM
I neither believe in a after life nor in reincarnation. Reincarnation is completly nonsense - I am what I am and I canīt life as something else (I hope you know what I mean).
But I do belive that everything repeats in eternity.

Pansarkamrat
11-22-2019, 07:37 PM
Reincarnation

Moje ime
11-22-2019, 07:40 PM
One life.

Óttar
11-22-2019, 07:42 PM
Zoroastrianism isn't Abrahamic.

But I do belive that everything repeats in eternity.
Nietzsche's eternal recurrence is just as non-scientific as the afterlife or reincarnation and was only meant as a thought experiment, not something to take literally.

Batavia
11-22-2019, 07:47 PM

Nietzsche's eternal recurrence is just as non-scientific as the afterlife or reincarnation and was only meant as a thought experiment, not something to take literally.

Yes, but I believe it anyway.

Batavia
11-22-2019, 07:53 PM

Donīt buddhists also believe in the eternal recurrences?

Hurrem sultana
11-22-2019, 07:54 PM

Well yes it is,in fact the prophet Zarathustra is among some muslims accepted as prophet.And they believe in same afterlife like abrahamic religions.Ok mybe its origins are not semitic,but hell if Iran accepts them as "people of book" together with jews and christians then so be it(hindus and buddhists are pagans )

Hurrem sultana
11-22-2019, 08:00 PM
Reincarnation

to me this was always sad,so when someone dies he is going to be reborn and you have lost him forever,we at least believe we will meet in heaven our loved ones,,,which is comforting

Nurzat
11-22-2019, 08:03 PM
Reincarnation or one life?

or no life xD

Dragoon
11-22-2019, 08:03 PM

Agreed, but there are lots of similarities nonetheless.

Óttar
11-22-2019, 08:07 PM
Donīt buddhists also believe in the eternal recurrences?

In Hindu (and Buddhist, etc.) cosmology, the universe exists for a ridiculously long amount of time before it collapses and the cycle of creation and destruction starts all over again, but as far as I know, it's not like the exact same events and interactions between organisms (jivas, "soul") happen the same exact way because the "personalities" (ahamkaras, i.e. egos lit. "I-ness"-es) are different. To put it simply, one transmigrates and goes through the same process of birth, sickness, age, and death over and over, but it isn't quite as Hellish as Nietzsche's concept of eternal recurrence.

Pansarkamrat
11-23-2019, 12:06 AM
to me this was always sad,so when someone dies he is going to be reborn and you have lost him forever,we at least believe we will meet in heaven our loved ones,,,which is comforting

If you are reborn it dosent mean that you will never meet a person in your previuos life but the chances for that would probably be low. But you would probably like the new persons in your new life as much as the persons in your previous life.

Rico33
11-29-2019, 09:55 PM
There is no transmigration of a soul in Buddhism.

Batavia
11-29-2019, 09:56 PM
I donīt think there is something like a soul at all.

Methuselah
11-29-2019, 10:12 PM
Yes, but I believe it anyway.
If you don't believe in God this is the best way to explain our universe. Not like there are good cosmological models without beginning.

Well yes it is,in fact the prophet Zarathustra is among some muslims accepted as prophet.And they believe in same afterlife like abrahamic religions.Ok mybe its origins are not semitic,but hell if Iran accepts them as "people of book" together with jews and christians then so be it(hindus and buddhists are pagans )
Zoroaster lived before Judaism took it's place.

In Hindu (and Buddhist, etc.) cosmology, the universe exists for a ridiculously long amount of time before it collapses and the cycle of creation and destruction starts all over again, but as far as I know, it's not like the exact same events and interactions between organisms (jivas, "soul") happen the same exact way because the "personalities" (ahamkaras, i.e. egos lit. "I-ness"-es) are different. To put it simply, one transmigrates and goes through the same process of birth, sickness, age, and death over and over, but it isn't quite as Hellish as Nietzsche's concept of eternal recurrence.
Isn't the universe in Buddhism eternal? In Hinduism it goes for a very long period of cycles but is not eternal. The only way to get back to static universe is to get there with eternal cycles. But that would be cheating i assume.

In Kabbalah, Jewish mysticism, reincarnation is linked to other universes. Not sure about Hindu schools. It would make sense if they believed so.