PDA

View Full Version : Esperanto

Comte Arnau
08-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Three interesting audios, for a start:

News of China in Esperanto. The presenter speaks Esperanto with a clear Chinese accent.
I5uFAM15SDA

American anglo living in Mexico who happens to speak Esperanto with a Mexican Spanish accent.
ZyFIlUwhi68

Children of Esperantist families at a meeting. Different accents (Balkan, Italian, Hungarian...) but real fluency, them being denaskaj parolantoj (native speakers).
eWrFJoUMTlQ

BiałaZemsta
08-02-2011, 02:51 AM
To my ignorant ears, Esperanto sounds very similar to Spanish. Is there truth in my observation?

Comte Arnau
08-02-2011, 11:39 AM
To my ignorant ears, Esperanto sounds very similar to Spanish. Is there truth in my observation?

There's more French vocabulary than Spanish, but the fact that all nouns in Esperanto finish in -o make it sound very Italo-Spanish indeed.

In fact, it sounds a bit as a weird Italian/Spanish pronounced by a Slav with Germanic words here and there.

Which is quite logic, when you think that it was constructed upon a Latin base, with a significant Anglo-German contribution in vocabulary and the incorporation of Slavic (mainly Russo-Polish) phonosyntactic elements.

Blossom
08-02-2011, 11:45 AM
I love how it sounds, some Italian accent aswell mixed with others...I like it, definetly.

Ouistreham
08-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Esperanto is a waste of time.

One of the few native speakers is GEORGE SOROS.

Enough said.

Comte Arnau
08-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Esperanto is a waste of time.

I learned it as a teen and I don't consider it was a waste of time. Or not more a waste of time that it was learning French.

oyster
08-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Happy to meet other Esperantists :) It is popular in Hungary, Lithuania, Poland and Brasil as far as I know.

The Finnish band Dolcxamar sings exclusively in Esperanto and quite well.

Comte Arnau
08-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Happy to meet other Esperantists :) It is popular in Hungary, Lithuania, Poland and Brasil as far as I know.

The Finnish band Dolcxamar sings exclusively in Esperanto and quite well.

Cxu vi parolas la lingvon?

Bard
08-04-2011, 05:27 PM
I don't like Esperanto, and I will stick to Tolkien by saying that Esperanto is doomed to die, because it lacks of mythology.

Groenewolf
08-04-2011, 06:17 PM
One of the few native speakers is GEORGE SOROS.

Enough said.

After reading up on it and the Prague Manifesto (http://uea.org/info/angle/an_manifesto_prago.html) that is a language of the globalist.

We maintain that language inequality gives rise to communicative inequality at all levels, including the international level. We are a movement for democratic communication.

This could be interpreted that one is not required to speak the local language to participate in the local political process, this would also mean not having to understand the local culture and world view. Since language is an expression of such things.

The child who learns Esperanto learns about a world without borders, where every country is home.
We maintain that education in any language is bound to a certain view of the world. We are a movement for global education.

No comment needed, since this is pretty much the agenda of both free market fundamentalists as the far left.

Every language both liberates and imprisons its users, giving them the ability to communicate among themselves but barring them from communication with others.

(...)

We maintain that exclusive reliance on national languages inevitable puts up barriers to the freedoms of expression, communication and association. We are a movement for human emancipation.

With other words group forming and exclusion is bad.:rolleyes2: The end point of course is that all languages are replaced with one bland colorless language. And how many generations of native Esperanto speakers do you think it will take before they consider national languages as obsolete and should be put in the dustbin of history, even more so if it becomes an official international language.

Comte Arnau
08-04-2011, 08:28 PM
I don't like Esperanto, and I will stick to Tolkien by saying that Esperanto is doomed to die, because it lacks of mythology.

Well, thousands of natural languages are going to die before Esperanto. It is the only constructed language that has lived for more than 100 years and is still used vigorously by a community of Esperantists, so that is something. Not to mention that Esperanto wins Tolkien's Quenya hands down in terms of usage, although Quenya is a beautiful creation.

After reading up on it and the Prague Manifesto (http://uea.org/info/angle/an_manifesto_prago.html) that is a language of the globalist.

This could be interpreted that one is not required to speak the local language to participate in the local political process, this would also mean not having to understand the local culture and world view. Since language is an expression of such things.

No comment needed, since this is pretty much the agenda of both free market fundamentalists as the far left.

With other words group forming and exclusion is bad.:rolleyes2: The end point of course is that all languages are replaced with one bland colorless language. And how many generations of native Esperanto speakers do you think it will take before they consider national languages as obsolete and should be put in the dustbin of history, even more so if it becomes an official international language.

Esperanto was clearly born with an agenda, there's nothing hidden about it. To become a globalist tool that favoured no country. There was even an attempt for a global religion going in parallel but that project was dead already from the beginning, or changed into typical global humanist aims.

But Esperanto has lived for more than a century and people from all types have approached it for one thing or another. Not all Esperantists are members of a community with a specific aim. Many -like me- speak Esperanto just for the sake of it and because it is the only constructed language that has succeeded, not in its original goal, but in the fact of achieving an outstanding original literature and becoming a native language for a few dozens of people.

Bard
08-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Well, thousands of natural languages are going to die before Esperanto. It is the only constructed language that has lived for more than 100 years and is still used vigorously by a community of Esperantists, so that is something. Not to mention that Esperanto wins Tolkien's Quenya hands down in terms of usage, although Quenya is a beautiful creation.

Infact I am really surprised by the vitality of this language, I didn't expect to find out that there are so many speakers at the present day.

Comte Arnau
08-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Infact I am really surprised by the vitality of this language, I didn't expect to find out that there are so many speakers at the present day.

That is why I think it is the only constructed language that has succeeded. Not in its original goal, which was/is/will always be utopical, but it is the only constructed language -and there have been and are many constructed auxiliary languages- which has not only survived for more than a century, but has achieved a more or less stable community of speakers -with a few native ones included- and has produced a considerable amount of literature and cultural products. There is more original literature, music and even filmography than you can find in hundreds of languages with more speakers. And the fact that every speaker can translate books from his native language into Esperanto has created a big library where you can access to books from all corners of the world that haven't been translated to English.

Only for that, it has succeeded. And it has also succeeded in showing one thing: that no constructed language will ever be a vehicular language for the world, simply because the most powerful governments will always be interested in it being their languages the ones that play that role.

Dario Argento
08-14-2011, 09:50 AM
My take is that it sounds quite beatiful for being a synthetic language. I really like the sound of it. It reminds me a lot of Romanian, but still quite different. I guess this could be how one of the many extinct Vulgar Latin dialects in the Balkans might have sounded like, or something like that. I can understand many words but it's very hard to me to interpretate the conjugations/context.

T0L466Aq4s8

Comte Arnau
08-14-2011, 10:07 AM
I can understand many words but it's very hard to me to interpretate the conjugations/context.

Well, verbal conjugation is even easier than in English: the Present ends in -as, the Past in -is, the Future in -os, the Conditional in -us, Infinitives in -i and Imperatives in -u. So if you take into account that many verbal roots come from Latin (pens- 'to think', dorm- 'to sleep'...), and that there are no exceptions to the rules, you can have a picture of its "difficulty". ;)

Barbarossa
08-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Esperanto is bullshit. Latin shall become once again lingua franca in academic/political circles and english shall stay internation languace for proles.