PDA

View Full Version : The Spanish informal "usted" word is of Arabic origin

GiCa
12-08-2019, 11:12 PM
Yes, the Spanish formal second pronoun USTED is of Arabic origin

I know this because I'm studing both Spanish and arabic

Usted أستاذ means "professor in Arabic" and it is pronounced as oostedh (o like a Spanish u)

There is also the feminine form in Arabic أستاذة Oostedha.. Meaning female professor

GiCa
12-08-2019, 11:14 PM
! اَلأستاذ عرَبي الحمد لله

TheMaestro
12-08-2019, 11:18 PM
Thank you, now I can live in peace.

Tietar
12-08-2019, 11:33 PM
Yes, the Spanish formal second pronoun USTED is of Arabic origin

I know this because I'm studing both Spanish and arabic

Usted أستاذ means "professor in Arabic" and it is pronounced as oostedh (o like a Spanish u)

There is also the feminine form in Arabic أستاذة Oostedha.. Meaning female professor

"Usted" It is an abbreviation of "vuestra merced" (your mercy), it has nothing to do with professor

hahaha

GiCa
12-08-2019, 11:33 PM
Se estima fruto de la contracción de vuestra merced, un tratamiento o título de cortesía

I don't belive in this

I belive is Arabic.. Or that Spanish passed it to Arabic :)

GiCa
12-08-2019, 11:35 PM
"Usted" It is an abbreviation of "vuestra merced" (your mercy), it has nothing to do with proffesor

hahaha

I think that either Spanish passed it to Arabic, or Arabic passed it to spanish.

In Arabic its pronounced the same as in Spanish, only it changes slightly the D sound.. That in Spanish is a pure d.. But in Arabic in that case is prounonced like a dh (like the th.. But on the d.. So dh)

GiCa
12-08-2019, 11:39 PM
Usted just like você, derives from two words vuestra merced/vossa mercê. And is a word at least in Portugal, that signifies a mild deference. More formal than tu/you but less than senhor/sir.

I have the doubt that it has 0 correlation with the arabic

They are the same sound and same word, and the fact that in Arabic means "Professor" that is a respected very formal title is very curious and too much coincidence to be unrelated

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas
12-08-2019, 11:39 PM
"Usted" is formal, not informal. "Tu" is informal.

Cristiano viejo
12-08-2019, 11:41 PM
Se estima fruto de la contracción de vuestra merced, un tratamiento o título de cortesía

I don't belive in this

What you believe does not matter, Terrone. Usted come from "vuestra merced". No one of these words come from Arabic.

Threads like these just show one more time your absolute envy toward us, and your absolute ignorance and illiteracy :D

Now go to create a thread about the Italian word zucchero coming from Arabic, Terrona :thumb001:

Tietar
12-08-2019, 11:44 PM

I don't belive in this

"usted" is a form of treatment to another person, and means exactly that: "vuestra merced". Was originally "vusted", which is an abbreviation in the same way that "vuecencia" is an abbreviation of "vuestra excelencia" (your excellence). currently it means the same as "you", but with a treatment of respect to unknown or older people, although in the Canary Islands or Latin America they always use it

GiCa
12-08-2019, 11:47 PM
What you believe does not matter, Terrone. Usted come from "vuestra merced". No one of these words come from Arabic.

Threads like these just show one more time your absolute envy toward us, and your absolute ignorance and illiteracy :D

Now go to create a thread about the Italian word zucchero coming from Arabic, Terrona :thumb001:

If when I learn I language I notice connection to other languages I know I always point them out.. Like I did with. بَيت "bait" that means houses with the Italia word "baita" that mean "mountain chalet"

And sugar is Arabic origin in every language of europe

Duffmannn
12-09-2019, 12:00 PM

I don't belive in this

We don´t mind what you think.

Really.

ÁGUIA
12-09-2019, 06:52 PM
I have the doubt that it has 0 correlation with the arabic

They are the same sound and same word, and the fact that in Arabic means "Professor" that is a respected very formal title is very curious and too much coincidence to be unrelated

The official theory is usted derives from vuestra (from latin vostrum) and merced (from latin merx, mercis).
Now, can I tell you a secret? I find it fishy as well, and I'm inclined to believe shadow government involvement.
To make the world change, we need to take a step, and in this case the step is no other than the Spanish Royal Academy. But you and I know, how indelible they can be. They will dismiss every piece of evidence you can present, every peer review paper you can stick down their throats, they will puke it.

To form reliability, we need a plan, someone who experienced the word itself. How about if you engaged in a bit of role play. Gica, you are Fatima a middle aged woman, a professor (أستاذة Oostedha), lived circa 1034 in Al Andalus nowadays vulgarly known as Iberian Peninsula. Pick olives at Saturdays and have a thing for Christians knights at Sundays. Too make it more inconspicuous and unbiased you are from al-Shilb (Silves), a coastal Portuguese. Progressiveness is your mark and you kinda lax on hijab use, at times few strands of hair are at sight.

I look forward the day when you leave your almofada in the morning. The sky will be clear azul, you'll cook your food with azeite and sprinkle your coffee with açúcar. You say hello to the Xerife, and you see kids making xeque-mate playing xadrez. The madrassa is your maktoub, but that day you say no, to the Spanish Royal Academy you go. The day usted finally becomes one with its true ancestral oostedh. Oxalá ...

Yalla, Gica yalla!

GiCa
12-09-2019, 07:54 PM
We don´t mind what you think.

Really.

You mind that

GiCa
12-09-2019, 07:56 PM
The official theory is usted derives from vuestra (from latin vostrum) and merced (from latin merx, mercis).
Now, can I tell you a secret? I find it fishy as well, and I'm inclined to believe shadow Government involvement.
To make the world change, we need to take a step, and in this case the step is no other than the Spanish Royal Academy. But you and I know, how indelible they can be. They will dismiss every piece of evidence you can present, every peer review paper you can stick down their throats, they will puke it.
To form reliability, we need a plan, someone who experienced the word itself. How about if you engaged in a bit of role play. Gica, you are Fatima a middle aged woman, a professor (أستاذة Oostedha), lived circa 1034 in Al Andalus nowadays vulgarly known as Iberian Peninsula. Pick olives at Saturdays and have a thing for Christians knights at Sundays. Too make it more inconspicuous and unbiased you are from al-Shilb (Silves), a coastal Portuguese. Progressiveness is your mark and you kinda lax on hijab use, at times few strands of hair are at sight.

I look forward the day when you leave your almofada in the morning. The sky will be clear azul, you'll cook your food with azeite and sprinkle your coffee with açúcar.
You say hello to the Xerife, and you see kids making Xeque-mate playing xadrez. The madrassa is your maktoub, but that day you say no, to the Spanish Royal Academy you go. The day usted finally becomes one with its true ancestral oostedh. Oxalá ...
Yalla, Gica yalla!

This is the best post here. :) :D

Ranger0075
12-09-2019, 07:56 PM
What about weon/weona?

GiCa
12-09-2019, 07:58 PM
What about weon/weona?

I don't know, I detected just this word for Spanish Usted

And Baita for italian

Ranger0075
12-09-2019, 07:59 PM
I don't know, I detected just this word for Spanish Usted

And Baita for italian

Just a question: Is Gica a nickname for Giovanna in Italy?

GiCa
12-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Just a question: Is Gica a nickname for Giovanna in Italy?

No

Its an anagram with my personal name

My true name is Giulia

Jacques de Imbelloni
12-09-2019, 08:13 PM
"Usted" It is an abbreviation of "vuestra merced" (your mercy), it has nothing to do with professor
Habeces aparece abreviad

hahaha
A Veces aparece abreviado como Vd , es simikar a Vm o Vds

http://elies.rediris.es/elies22/cap73.htm

MissMischief
12-09-2019, 08:33 PM
Me suda la polla lo que tú digas.

Cristiano viejo
12-10-2019, 12:25 AM
Me suda la polla lo que tú digas.
:laugh: se nota que aprendiste bien el castellano en tus viajes...

If when I learn I language I notice connection to other languages I know I always point them out.. Like I did with. بَيت "bait" that means houses with the Italia word "baita" that mean "mountain chalet"

And sugar is Arabic origin in every language of europe

So according yourself, your source to say Usted is Arabic is your thought...
Mamma mia la Terrona... :D

Latinus
12-10-2019, 12:27 AM

Defiance
12-10-2019, 12:36 AM

Just what is the deal with referring to royalty using the vosotros form? How common is this? I've noticed it and I find it odd.

Cristiano viejo
12-10-2019, 12:39 AM
Just what is the deal with referring to royalty using the vosotros form? How common is this? I've noticed it and I find it odd.

It is not exactly the vosotros form. In fact usted/vuestra merced is a very polite form to refer to everyone, not only royalty.

Defiance
12-10-2019, 12:43 AM
It is not exactly the vosotros form. In fact usted/vuestra merced is a very polite form to refer to everyone, not only royalty.
I'm not referring to usted at all. I mean the vosotros verb forms, used when addressing an individual.

Cristiano viejo
12-10-2019, 12:45 AM
I'm not referring to usted at all. I mean the vosotros verb forms, used when addressing an individual.

Noboy talks to royalty saying vosotros, that would be a disrespect.

Defiance
12-10-2019, 12:48 AM
Noboy talks to royalty saying vosotros, that would be a disrespect.
Well, did they ever do so in the past? Strange that you're not familiar with it.

Cristiano viejo
12-10-2019, 12:50 AM
Well, did they ever do so in the past? Strange that you're not familiar with it.

Never heard that non-royalty persons talked in that way to Spanish royalty in past, let say 400 years ago. And if someone did, probably lost the head.

Ruggery
12-10-2019, 01:03 AM
:confused:¿?