PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study

Treffie
08-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Internet Explorer users have a lower than average IQ, according to research by Consulting firm AptiQuant.

The study gave web surfers an IQ test, then plotted their scores against the browser they used.

IE surfers were found to have an average IQ lower than people using Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Users of Camino and Opera rated highest.

The report has sparked anger from IE supporters, who have threatened AptiQuant with legal action. :p

Researchers gave over 100,000 web surfers a free online IQ test. Scores were stored in a database along with each person's web browser data.

The results suggested that Internet Explorer surfers had an average IQ in the low eighties. Chrome, Firefox and Safari rated over 100, while minority browsers Opera and Camino had an "exceptionally higher" score of over 120.

AptiQuant stressed that using IE doesn't mean you have low intelligence. "What it really says is that if you have a low IQ then there are high chances that you use Internet Explorer," said AptiQuant CEO Leonard Howard.

The findings have been treated with scepticism by Professor David Spiegelhalter of Cambridge University's Statistical Laboratory: "They've got IE6 users with an IQ of around eighty. That's borderline deficient, marginally able to cope with the adult world.

"I believe these figures are implausibly low - and an insult to IE users."

However, Mr Howard said he didn't feel threatened by a lawsuit: "A win in a court would only give a stamp of approval and more credibility to our report."

Link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878)

Groenewolf
08-03-2011, 09:01 AM
So the average Opera user is the smartest. ;)

Baron Samedi
08-03-2011, 06:53 PM
They don't specifically state "why" they would have low IQ's, though..... Strange.

antonio
08-03-2011, 06:59 PM
The study is grotesque. There are a good reason for IE averaged lowest IQ: all the retards around browsing Internet without even knowledge (or without hability of abstraction enough or w/out hability to install a program) of what are they using for is highly unlikeable they ever thought on ever changing such unknown thing. :coffee:

El Palleter
08-03-2011, 07:12 PM
"What it really says is that if you have a low IQ then there are high chances that you use Internet Explorer"I wonder if the same applies to Windows users vs OS X users.:D

Eldritch
08-03-2011, 07:16 PM
The results suggested that Internet Explorer surfers had an average IQ in the low eighties. Chrome, Firefox and Safari rated over 100, while minority browsers Opera and Camino had an "exceptionally higher" score of over 120.

"Exceptionally higher"? The author of this article probably uses IE.

Anyway what am I if I used IE to download Opera? An idiot savant?

poiuytrewq0987
08-03-2011, 07:18 PM
What happens if a person with an IQ of 85 downloads Opera?

Groenewolf
08-03-2011, 07:20 PM

Then said person drags the average down if he starts using it.

Troll's Puzzle
08-03-2011, 07:22 PM
I wanted to believe!
because (i) IE users are unthinking sheeple
and (ii) it says Opera users are the smartest, and I use Opera. So, that sounds legitimate :cool_002:

unfortunately, it's a bogus report (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878) :(

Eldritch
08-03-2011, 07:38 PM

It's situations like that that the term "artificial intelligence" was really coined for.

Allenson
08-03-2011, 09:46 PM
http://www.favbrowser.com/images/browserusers.png

http://www.ratemyfunnypictures.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/browser-users.jpg

Albion
08-17-2011, 01:56 PM
The study is grotesque. There are a good reason for IE averaged lowest IQ: all the retards around browsing Internet without even knowledge (or without hability of abstraction enough or w/out hability to install a program) of what are they using for is highly unlikeable they ever thought on ever changing such unknown thing. :coffee:

Lol, exactly. You've got to be pretty dim if you are willing to put up with IE's shoddy performance. It is terrible, bloated, slow, clanky, archaic and fit for the dustbin of history.

I use Chrome - fast, light, clean interface, not full of crap like IE and not slow and bloated as Firefox has become.

Peasant
08-17-2011, 02:44 PM
I switched to Opera about a week ago due to the new version Firefox crashing, and I don't really like Chrome for some reason. It just seems like a better version of Firefox really, just I need to find a replacement for the ad block extension. :(

IE seemed like a magnet for exploits last time I used it.

Laudanum
08-17-2011, 02:46 PM
I use Chrome and Firefox on my other laptop.:P

Mordid
08-17-2011, 04:08 PM
I use Chrome and Firefox on my other laptop.:P
Same. :cool:

ChAoZ
08-17-2011, 11:50 PM
To be honest I have like every browser installed, but I only use Firefox or Chrome, after discovering that Chrome is faster than the fox. I've also used Opera bvefore for a long time, but then I switched to Firefox again because I didn't like the form or input fields while developing websites etc. However, I don't and didn't use IE for a good reason: that browser is incompatible with various HTML and/or CSS features, such as drop-shadows etc.

This IQ study is probably a big slap in the face for Microsoft, but in future I don't think Mac users will use their "awesome" Safari browser. :D

Regards

Albion
04-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Is this really a surprise. Most of them can barely turn a computer on, I can't imagine them installing new software.