PDA

View Full Version : Is the Anthropology and Social Change PhD at CIIS good?

1m81
12-15-2019, 04:28 AM
I can't find the job placement record for this PhD, it's not a four field or ivy league so does anyone know the placement record for this program?

Óttar
12-15-2019, 04:37 AM
They are a hippie school loosely associated with some Hindu mystics and the experimental psychologist Ken Wilber. They have no main campus, claiming, "The City of San Francisco is our campus." They were stripped of APA accreditation (although graduates may still be counselors i.e. social workers in western states, and presumably the entire U.S.), and many former students say the bureaucracy at the school is something of a shit-show. Some of their classes may be edifying (I particularly like a speculative German anthropologist who taught there), but be mindful of the above facts.

Óttar
12-15-2019, 04:45 AM
Not only that, but I come to find out Ken Wilber (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Wilber#Reception) never even earned a Bachelors degree. lol. CIIS might be fun, but they are definitely a Hippie school and not known for rigorous training in normative psychology. Be careful, that's all.

Daco Celtic
12-15-2019, 05:19 AM
I only know a little bit about the school. Are you based out of the Bay Area if I may ask?