PDA

View Full Version : Drunken Mayhem Mars St. Patricks's Day

Baron Samedi
03-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Drunken mayhem mars St. Patrick's in Ireland
By SHAWN POGATCHNIK, Associated Press Writer Shawn Pogatchnik, Associated Press Writer
2 hrs 30 mins ago

DUBLIN – Cars were torched, firefighters attacked and police bombarded in mayhem spawned by dusk-to-dawn drinking on St. Patrick's Day, Irish authorities said Wednesday.

Authorities were still assessing the damage from inebriated revelers who turned some districts of Dublin and Belfast into nightmares.

Police in the Republic of Ireland said they were counting the number of public-order arrests from Tuesday's festivities, and the total would easily exceed 200, typical for recent years.

Police in Northern Ireland clashed with some of the British territory's most privileged youth — hundreds of students at Queen's University, the major college in Belfast — in what authorities called the worst public drinking-related confrontation of any recent St. Patrick's Day.

Nineteen teenagers and 20-somethings, mostly Queen's students, were arrested during several hours of clashes with riot police. Belfast police Superintendent Chris Noble said most were still sobering up Wednesday in their cells, while five were arraigned in court on charges of riotous behavior.

Noble said police expected to arrest more students in coming days after analyzing their surveillance TV footage.

"We will not abandon an area to drunken thugs," he said.

Officers of the Police Service of Northern Ireland donned full riot gear, including flame-retardant suits, to drive about 1,000 students back into their rented red-brick homes in a neighborhood called the Holy Land directly beside Queen's University.

The area — so named because it has streets named Jerusalem, Damascus and Cairo — has suffered St. Patrick's riots for several years running, but older residents and politicians agreed this year's was by far the worst.

Leaders from the British Protestant and Irish Catholic sides of Northern Ireland's power-sharing government demanded that Queen's expel students at the center of the trouble. Until now university authorities have issued warnings or fines to students only.

"I toured the area myself last night and was absolutely disgusted. The place was like a war zone. It was an atmosphere of intimidation and mayhem," said Protestant politician Reg Empey, minister for higher education in the power-sharing government.

The Irish Republic's police commander, Commissioner Fachtna Murphy, said it suffered one of its most dangerous holiday periods on the roads amid increased levels of drunken driving.

He said since Friday police had arrested 346 suspected drunk drivers and 72 for dangerous driving, while eight people died in crashes, compared to three in the same period last year.

The Dublin Fire Brigade said its officers were pelted with stones, cans and bottles in several public housing projects overnight as they dealt with 46 fires, mostly smashed-up cars that had been set ablaze.

Ambulance crews dealing with more than 200 emergency calls — including a dozen stabbings involving knives or broken bottles — said they also suffered physical and verbal abuse as they responded to booze-fueled bloodshed.

Osweo
03-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Officers of the Police Service of Northern Ireland donned full riot gear, including flame-retardant suits, to drive about 1,000 students back into their rented red-brick homes in a neighborhood called the Holy Land directly beside Queen's University.

And now the storm is over
and we are safe on shore
And a health we'll drink to the Holy Ground
and the girls we do adore
We will drink strong ale and porter,
and make the taprooms roar
And when our money is all spent
we will go to sea for more.
Fine girl you are,
You're the girl I do adore,
And still I live in hope to see
The Holy Ground once more -
Fine girl you are! :D

What's the matter with people, though? I have never gone out rioting, no matter how pissed I've got. I commiserate with the Police and Garda who have to deal with these idiots. :(

Black Turlogh
03-19-2009, 02:15 PM
What's the matter with people, though? I have never gone out rioting, no matter how pissed I've got. I commiserate with the Police and Garda who have to deal with these idiots. :(

Nor I. I've never understood that drink could trigger aggressive and violent behaviour in some, Irish or otherwise. I've always been the happy, generous drunk.

Loki
03-19-2009, 02:18 PM
I've always been the happy, generous drunk.

Same here.

Osweo
03-19-2009, 02:23 PM
You and me, Turlough, should form a Happy Generous Irishman's Drinking Club, to counter all this bad publicity! :P We might have to add 'Temporarily Loud Then Sleepy' to the title for my sake's though.

Loki's allowed in if he passes the swarthiness test.

When it's all set up we can go and crack the skulls of the violent idiots who're giving us a bad name...

Vulpix
03-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Another happy drunk here :p!

Loki's allowed in if he passes the swarthiness test.

I'll never pass that test :(:p.

RoyBatty
03-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Alcohol affects people in different ways. Alcohol tends to make people lose their inhibitions so I suspect that if one is susceptible to violent behaviour, alcohol will increase the likelyhood of violent behaviour in such a person.

It also depends what is being drunk and in what quantities. In South Africa brandy & coke sometimes goes by the slang term of "karate water" due to the effect it has on certain individuals.

Jägerstaffel
03-19-2009, 11:18 PM
I get loud and boisterous when drunk. 99 percent of the time, happy and generous.

I think a lot of people think they're unstoppable, hilarious and ten feet tall when they're beyond blitzed. And that is the dangerous point because the minute someone suggests otherwise they start mouthing off.

Murphy
04-01-2009, 04:17 AM
It is a shame that St Patrick's has just been turned into an excuse to go out and get pished. I wonder how many people actually attended Mass in honour of the saint?

Lenny
04-01-2009, 04:41 AM
Alcohol affects people in different ways. Alcohol tends to make people lose their inhibitions so I suspect that if one is susceptible to violent behaviour, alcohol will increase the likelyhood of violent behaviour in such a person.In a certain sense then, ingesting lots of alcohol is one of the true tests of character in life. ;)

What's that old Latin saying, "In vino, veritas"?

The other true test of character:
"You don't know who a person is until you see how he acts when given unexpected power. He hasn't rehearsed for the part. So what you see is what he is."

Baron Samedi
04-01-2009, 06:02 AM
Fuck the niggers, man.

RoyBatty
04-01-2009, 06:39 PM
In a certain sense then, ingesting lots of alcohol is one of the true tests of character in life. ;)

What's that old Latin saying, "In vino, veritas"?

Indeed....

And by the way (for those who don't realise it yet), if you want some of the most honest and open answers from somebody close to you to your questions, wait till they're wasted and then corner them. :D