PDA

View Full Version : I just discovered domari gypsies from Sudan

Mortimer
01-02-2020, 06:17 PM
Classify to me they look Indian westasian and black
https://i.postimg.cc/52CdRnjr/15668334855-17b26f8b50-b.jpg

TheMaestro
01-02-2020, 06:38 PM
Kids from center right seem to be gypsy the rest look pretty African.

Hajimurad
01-02-2020, 06:50 PM
Indid-Veddoid transitional type.
About origin of Indian Doms (and Gypsies) there are many theories. In Grierson's Linguistic survey of India I found Doms are reputed as being descended from Nishadas (aboriginals of Vindhya mountains) and therefore of common stock with Bhils (modern representatives of Nishadas). Doms of Uttar Pradesh speak about their ancestors coming from Rajputana. Grierson (English linguist) found in Dom dialects lexical borrowings from Northern Dravidian languages (Oraon, Malto, Brahui). According to legend ancestors of Oraon-Malto came from Mysore(Karnataka) and up to Narmada river came to Eastern Oudh (probably from Narmada river from these Dravidians diverged ancestors of Brahuis who migrated to Balochistan). When Muslims conquered Oudh Dravidians split into two groups; Oraons fled to Odisha but Mal/Malto - to Bengal.
Second theory was put forward by Jean Przyluski in Ancient peoples of Punjab. According to him name of Doms came from Audumbara tribe, living in Punjab. They were part of Shalveya tribe and of Austric (Munda) descent. After their land in Central India was conquered by Magadha, Shalveyas migrated to Punjab where formed tribal republics. One of these republics was Kuninda. According to Denzil Ibbetson (Castes and tribes of Punjab) modern representatives of Kunindas are Kanet tribe of Western Himalayas. Kanets are divided into Rajputs and Shilpkars (it's new name. Before independence of India Shilpkars were known as Dom). Shilpkars/Doms are regarded by tradition as descendants of Kols (degraded Kanets, according to Ibbetson).

Mortimer
01-03-2020, 04:13 AM
Indid-Veddoid transitional type.
About origin of Indian Doms (and Gypsies) there are many theories. In Grierson's Linguistic survey of India I found Doms are reputed as being descended from Nishadas (aboriginals of Vindhya mountains) and therefore of common stock with Bhils (modern representatives of Nishadas). Doms of Uttar Pradesh speak about their ancestors coming from Rajputana. Grierson (English linguist) found in Dom dialects lexical borrowings from Northern Dravidian languages (Oraon, Malto, Brahui). According to legend ancestors of Oraon-Malto came from Mysore(Karnataka) and up to Narmada river came to Eastern Oudh (probably from Narmada river from these Dravidians diverged ancestors of Brahuis who migrated to Balochistan). When Muslims conquered Oudh Dravidians split into two groups; Oraons fled to Odisha but Mal/Malto - to Bengal.
Second theory was put forward by Jean Przyluski in Ancient peoples of Punjab. According to him name of Doms came from Audumbara tribe, living in Punjab. They were part of Shalveya tribe and of Austric (Munda) descent. After their land in Central India was conquered by Magadha, Shalveyas migrated to Punjab where formed tribal republics. One of these republics was Kuninda. According to Denzil Ibbetson (Castes and tribes of Punjab) modern representatives of Kunindas are Kanet tribe of Western Himalayas. Kanets are divided into Rajputs and Shilpkars (it's new name. Before independence of India Shilpkars were known as Dom). Shilpkars/Doms are regarded by tradition as descendants of Kols (degraded Kanets, according to Ibbetson).

I dont think they look only indid-veddoid, they clearly have some SSA as well.