PDA

View Full Version : Latvian Analyst: Unity of Baltic States a Myth

Äike
08-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Latvian Analyst: Unity of Baltic States a Myth (http://news.err.ee/politics/7f0bef39-0271-43af-ac38-039577e01579)

The concept of Baltic unity is an illusion or a myth. The Baltics stood united only as long as they had a common enemy in Soviet totalitarianism, finds Juris Rozenvalds, Professor of Social Sciences at the University of Latvia.

In his presentation at the Kaliningrad International Summer School titled "Russia and the EU: New Institutions, New Elites, New Configurations," Rozenvalds said that upon regaining independence, the Baltic States became competitors like they had been in the 1920s and 1930s, reported rus.delfi.lv.

According to Rozenvalds, the three nations have kept up appearances of polite formal relations and friendship, but there is no consensus to be found in other areas, as demonstrated by the squabble between Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania over the construction site of a proposed liquified gas storage facility.

"Even though the Baltic States are small in size, they differ from each other a lot in historical terms as well as in terms of the problems they face today," argued Rozenvalds.

Matuo
08-10-2011, 06:10 AM
Yes, it is myth. That's why it was so easy for Soviet Union to conquer all three countries. Already before WW2 there wasn't unity between these countries, nor wish to cooperate.

There is a saying - one finger alone is weak. But all fingers together can make strong fist. Unfortunately Baltic countries don't take it into account :( And have to go again and again through historical lessions to start understand that IMO.

Äike
08-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Yes, it is myth. That's why it was so easy for Soviet Union to conquer all three countries. Already before WW2 there wasn't unity between these countries, nor wish to cooperate.

Have you ever heard about the Baltic Entente? :icon_ask:

The Baltic Entente was based on Treaty of Understanding and Collaboration[1] signed between Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia on September 12, 1934 in Geneva. The main objective of the agreement was joint action in foreign policy. It also included mutual commitments to support each other politically, and to give diplomatic support in international communication. The endeavour was ultimately unsuccessful - the combined strength of the three nations and statements of neutrality were insubstantial in the face of the massive armies of Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_Entente

Matuo
08-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Karl, entente failed exactly because ministers between the three countries refused to cooperate each with other. The problem was first and foremost, with Lithuanians. They had some problems with Poles.

I am sure if entente would work in life, the Baltic countries would succeed to defend themselves against Soviet army (heck, the strenght of united army would be equal or bigger to that of Finland´s).

The Ripper
08-10-2011, 12:25 PM
I don't understand, did someone think they were one state instead of three? Where's the "myth"?

Äike
08-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Karl, entente failed exactly because ministers between the three countries refused to cooperate each with other. The problem was first and foremost, with Lithuanians. They had some problems with Poles.

I am sure if entente would work in life, the Baltic countries would succeed to defend themselves against Soviet army (heck, the strenght of united army would be equal or bigger to that of Finland´s).

Maybe there should have been a Finnic entente with Estonia and Finland, while there would have been a true Baltic entente with Latvia and Lithuania. If there would be no cultural differences, there would be no "cooperation problems", I guess. :p

By your dramatic posts, some people would guess that Latvia is still part of the USSR.

Äike
08-10-2011, 12:34 PM
I don't understand, did someone think they were one state instead of three?

More like that there are 3 states, but they're completely identical to each other, only the names are different.

But no really, Latvians nor the Lithuanians feel related to the Estonians for example(I would like to see this nutty internet-Latvian starting to argue against Latvian analysts). While being related to Lithuania, they don't have a noticeable "unity" between each other.

How can you have unity, if "Baltic" Estonia and the Estonians feel strongly related to Finland and don't feel related to the Baltic Balts at all? This is one case.

Ever since Finland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania were called "the four Baltic states" in 1918, the term "Baltic states" was oxymoronic and it continues to be so until only Balts, not non-Balts, live in the Baltic states.

You can take a bunch of unrelated countries somewhere in the world, force some "label" on them that the entire world would start to use, but this foreign ignorance wouldn't make them "united".

The Ripper
08-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Nordic unity is an even bigger myth. ;)

The Ripper
08-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Maybe there should have been a Finnic entente with Estonia and Finland, while there would have been a true Baltic entente with Latvia and Lithuania. If there would be no cultural differences, there would be no "cooperation problems", I guess. :p

By your dramatic posts, some people would guess that Latvia is still part of the USSR.

Finland would never have formed an entete with Estonia alone pre-ww2. Why take all the risks for no gain?

The Ripper
08-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Karl:

The myth is, according to the Latvian analyst, that the people of the Baltic states feel related to each other, have a sense of unity, like the Scandinavians have for instance. No Lithuanian nor Latvian feels related to the Estonians and vice-versa.

Where does the Latvian analyst say this?

Äike
08-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Nordic unity is an even bigger myth. ;)

It exists to some extent, while something like "Baltic identity" and "Baltic unity" doesn't exist.

Finland would never have formed an entete with Estonia alone pre-ww2. Why take all the risks for no gain?

I do know that, it could have been part of the Baltic entente. In the end, Finland had to fight the USSR alone, while it could have had 3 allies.

Karl:

Where does the Latvian analyst say this?

"Baltic unity is a myth"

The Ripper
08-10-2011, 02:39 PM
It exists to some extent, while something like "Baltic identity" and "Baltic unity" doesn't exist.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Estonia, forever alone. :(

I do know that, it could have been part of the Baltic entente. In the end, Finland had to fight the USSR alone, while it could have had 3 allies.

Not what I was talking about, though, was it? I said Finland would never have allied with Estonia alone, because it would have been pointless and rather counter-productive.

"Baltic unity is a myth"

So that was Karl talking, not the Latvian analyst into whose mouth you put your words.

Matuo
08-11-2011, 05:51 AM
Karl is talking BS like always.

Äike
08-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Karl is talking BS like always.

I'm just agreeing with the Latvian analyst.

Matuo
08-11-2011, 05:11 PM
LOL @ you, Karl. You talk so much nonsense, I am reading your posts with curiousity and smile.

Äike
08-11-2011, 07:28 PM
LOL @ you, Karl. You talk so much nonsense, I am reading your posts with curiousity and smile.

Awww... It's nice to know that I make you smile. :)

Peerkons
08-11-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm just agreeing with the Latvian analyst.

How sweet.

The Ripper
08-13-2011, 10:38 AM
How sweet.

Someone is going to have to tell Karl that "agreeing with" and "twisting another peron's words so they would comply with my ad-hoc world view" are different things altogether. ;)