PDA

View Full Version : Spain vs Italy; which country has better fashion and men?

Troll's Puzzle
08-09-2011, 06:54 PM
More important topic.

Bridie
08-09-2011, 07:19 PM
I don't really care much for fashion, but Italian men tend to be quite girlie, don't strike me as generally trustworthy and often seem to get about like dogs on heat, while Spanish men tend to be more down to earth, masculine and much more respectful toward women... so my vote has to go to Spain! :D

Neanderthal
08-09-2011, 07:30 PM
My thoughts on this:
http://semiprofessional.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/zoolander-1.jpg

Comte Arnau
08-09-2011, 07:32 PM
The question should rather be: which country has better fashion and which country believes they have better fashion. :D

supergiovane
08-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Italian men tend to be quite girlie, don't strike me as generally trustworthy and often seem to get about like dogs on heat
have you been yelled at when walking down the streets in Rome like Julia Roberts in her latest film?

Tony
08-09-2011, 08:38 PM
I don't really care much for fashion, but Italian men tend to be quite girlie, don't strike me as generally trustworthy and often seem to get about like dogs on heat, while Spanish men tend to be more down to earth, masculine and much more respectful toward women... so my vote has to go to Spain! :D

Shame on Silvio, he ruined our image abroad even among the Aussies :mad:

antonio
08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Shame on Silvio, he ruined our image abroad even among the Aussies :mad:

You should resort to Humberto Bossi from Lega Nord. It's all about the whole Italy and Europe, anycase. :D

Foxy
08-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Italian men are not naughty at all :mad: . They go totally out of mind when they are in love. I don't want to exaggerate but if you tell'hem shot yourself in the leg they would even do (it's not a case that Romeo and Juliet and Paolo and Francesca are all Italian stories).

I don't know Spanish men enough but I think that they are quite similar for the simple fact that we all come from countries where family is central. I think that the naughtiest in absolute are slavic men. They have the fame to hit their women here.

Cymel
08-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Italy no doubt. It's the country of fashion and men are the most handsome of Europe.

Svartálfar
08-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Italy no doubt. It's the country of fashion and men are the most handsome of Europe.

LOL. That's really funny.

Blossom
08-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Fashion: Italy, no doubt.
Men: None. :D Sorry.

Querubín
08-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Fashion, i don't know. Men, with ephebes like me... spain, of course :D;):thumb001:

El Palleter
08-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Fashion, Italy. Fortunately, Spaniards still preserve a little the good old sense for classic and countryside style. Unfortunately, there are increasingly more slobs in the big cities with a taste for the –in my opinion tasteless– exuberance that's called fashion.

Similar men? I'd say very dissimilar.

While the idea of a good night out for Italian men is chasing every woman they'll see around, Spanish men are more into drinking with the guys all night long. I have a fame in a social club in Rome, as the savage who mixes the Molinari sambuca with grappa and still overdrinks all others by far. :P

While the Spanish keep the Latin charm with women, we don't tend to overplay it. With Italians it's as if they needed constant reassurance of their manhood.

The Italians live up to the name of sofistication, while the Spaniards are rougher so to speak.

I find this sofistication and exuberance to be traits of an eastern (south-eastern that is) nature.

It's amazing how these east-west differences have been there for so long...since ever?

Oh Carmenion! I know that you are so fond
That everyone knows that you are Corinthian;
Why me, who of Celtiberian blood
I was born Spanish, you have to call me brother?

Are we alike in the external, by chance?
Your hair is cute and curly;
Mine gets shocked at seeing it.
You shave and polish your cheeks;
Hair covers my legs and my face.
Your voice is so soft that
My daughter, when she speaks,
Does it with a more entire voice.

The pidgeon is more similar to the eagle;
And the fearful fawn to the fierce lion.
Do not call me brother; or else,
I'll have to call you my sister.

–Marcus Valerius Martialis (Martial), AD 86 - 104–

Bridie
08-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Shame on Silvio, he ruined our image abroad even among the Aussies The sooner you guys get rid of him, the better! :D

For sure, I know that there would be plenty of Italian men who are trustworthy and respectful toward women also... I was generalising grossly from the point of view of an outsider.

The Italians live up to the name of sofistication, while the Spaniards are rougher so to speak.

I find this sofistication and exuberance to be traits of an eastern (south-eastern that is) nature.

I failed to notice any of this sophistication (:wink) that you speak of when in Rome... :shrug:

Comte Arnau
08-17-2011, 12:11 PM
I failed to notice any of this sophistication (:wink) that you speak of when in Rome... :shrug:

Probably by sophistication he means that many Italians wear shirts nobody in Spain would dare to. Except for, maybe, in Sitges or Chueca. :D

Amapola
08-17-2011, 12:36 PM
An example of this "practical" sense of fashion is our monster, the group INDITEX that sells everyday clothes at very good prices compared with the average Italian pret-á porter. Their only comparatively similar enterprise is Benetton, which is presently diminishing.

About how we dress, Spaniards and Italians... hmmm
As far as my Italian friends have told me, at 14 they try to get a scooter, and at 18 the driving license, so the garments and shoes can be more "uncomfy" as they don't have to WALK a lot. For boys, the logo on the tshirt, cap or belt has to be VERY visible. The shirt has to be tailored, perfectly ironed, starched, with their initials sewn. For Spaniards (including women), Italian men are ... perfumed, concieted and too close to homosexual aesthethics.

Spaniards on the other hand are rather in favor of quantity over quality and not so dependent on brand names. Comfort is also more appreciated, and for example something like imitation-leather pieces, unthinkable in Italy. Spanish men usually prefer more simple things like a polo shirt, checkered shirts, or bright colours-tshirts or with "ironic" wordings.

In general, and no-ofence, we are less fashion-slaves BUT still much more than we should.

El Palleter
08-17-2011, 01:23 PM
I failed to notice any of this sophistication (:wink) that you speak of when in Rome... :shrug:Well...in Rome you were walking among tourists one half of the day, and at least tipsy the other half. :D

Probably by sophistication he means that many Italians wear shirts nobody in Spain would dare to. Except for, maybe, in Sitges or Chueca. :DThat's why I said that it's exuberant.

Another people that I also see into exuberance are (southern?) Germans. Although they come across to me as imitators, whereas Italians are original.

The shirt has to be tailored, perfectly ironed, starched, with their initials sewn.Hold on! I've always had my shirts tailored and with my initials sawn in!

And often Italians point at the initials saying that I'm very old fashioned.

Ouistreham
08-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Italian men are not naughty at all :mad: . They go totally out of mind when they are in love. I don't want to exaggerate but if you tell'hem shot yourself in the leg they would even do (it's not a case that Romeo and Juliet and Paolo and Francesca are all Italian stories).

— This is not specifically Italian. Spain also has a similar legend, a beautiful one, have you ever heard of the Lovers of Teruel?

Norman poets gave France and Britain the story of Tristan and Yseult, but... they had to be on dope to fall in love! Which is quite in line with the notoriously materialistic and skeptical Norman mindset.

Sikeliot
08-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Italians are obviously more fashionable, Spanish men are more handsome.

El Palleter
08-18-2011, 06:09 PM
the Lovers of Teruel?¿Tonta ella y tonto él? :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovers_of_Teruel

I remember the anger of the official guide when my mother suggested that the corpses inside their tombs might be of two Guardia Civiles dead in the Civil War.

An urban legend and a joke because the Guardia Civil used to patrol in groups of two and were coloquially called "the couple".

Aces High
08-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Hold on! I've always had my shirts tailored and with my initials sawn in!

And often Italians point at the initials saying that I'm very old fashioned.

Tamaro/guito........not old fashioned.

Aces High
08-18-2011, 06:26 PM
As for fashion.

Gucci
Armani
Valentino
D&G
Fendi
Prada
Versace
Trussadi
etc
etc

The Spanish arent even in the same league by a long shot.....even the French beat the spaniards when it comes to fashion.

Anthropologique
08-18-2011, 06:34 PM
I prefer British styles.

Amapola
08-18-2011, 06:39 PM
As for fashion.The Spanish arent even in the same league by a long shot.....even the French beat the spaniards when it comes to fashion.

and that, we, so far, have stated here as something to be proud of. (If you read our previous posts). :cool:

An example of this "practical" sense of fashion is our monster, the group INDITEX that sells everyday clothes at very good prices compared with the average Italian pret-á porter. Their only comparatively similar enterprise is Benetton, which is presently diminishing.

About how we dress, Spaniards and Italians... hmmm
As far as my Italian friends have told me, at 14 they try to get a scooter, and at 18 the driving license, so the garments and shoes can be more "uncomfy" as they don't have to WALK a lot. For boys, the logo on the tshirt, cap or belt has to be VERY visible. The shirt has to be tailored, perfectly ironed, starched, with their initials sewn. For Spaniards (including women), Italian men are ... perfumed, concieted and too close to homosexual aesthethics.

Spaniards on the other hand are rather in favor of quantity over quality and not so dependent on brand names. Comfort is also more appreciated, and for example something like imitation-leather pieces, unthinkable in Italy. Spanish men usually prefer more simple things like a polo shirt, checkered shirts, or bright colours-tshirts or with "ironic" wordings.

In general, and no-ofence, we are less fashion-slaves BUT still much more than we should.

Fashion, Italy. Fortunately, Spaniards still preserve a little the good old sense for classic and countryside style. Unfortunately, there are increasingly more slobs in the big cities with a taste for the –in my opinion tasteless– exuberance that's called fashion.

:dance:

Comte Arnau
08-18-2011, 06:50 PM
As Chateau said, high fashion is usually disregarded by everyday Iberians, so no wonder the famous brands are Italian. In Iberia, fast-fashion is much preferred.

With regard to my corner of the world, I'd say the two most international Catalan clothing companies are Mango and Desigual. When it comes to international brands, it's more of a specific thing. Custo for T-shirts or Andrés Sardá for lingerie, for instance. Tous accessories and jewels would be part of high fashion.

Sikeliot
08-18-2011, 06:51 PM
The Spanish arent even in the same league by a long shot.....even the French beat the spaniards when it comes to fashion.

What? I always think of France as near the top when it comes to the fashion industry.

Hess
08-18-2011, 07:17 PM
As far as I am concerned, having a large fashion scene isn't something to be proud of. I think Southern European countries in general place far too high an emphasis on fashion and looks.

Comte Arnau
08-18-2011, 07:24 PM
As far as I am concerned, having a large fashion scene isn't something to be proud of. I think Southern European countries in general place far too high an emphasis on fashion and looks.

Are Paris, London and New York in Southern Europe?

Hess
08-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Are Paris, London and New York in Southern Europe?

New York isn't in Europe.

French people who live outside of Paris dont consider fashion nearly as important as every Italian, even the ones living in the poorer areas.

As for the British, I don't think an obsession with Fashion is in their culture- for the most part, they're just trying to copy Americans.

Comte Arnau
08-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Man, looks like you didn't notice, but I mentioned those capitals because they're the capitals of high fashion. The only Southern European one is Milan.

Amapola
08-18-2011, 07:46 PM

A large fashion scene goes, no doubt, hand-in-hand with a a large consumerism industry. USA leads this by far, and China,Japan, France, Italy and even UK and other European countries, however, the consumption of fashion is not necessarily translated in a good sense of it. While Spain has not a big fashion industry unlike Italy or France has a good sense of the self-looking, especially based in sobriety and elegance. I have been to Madrid and I have never experienced the "consumerism frenzies" I had when I was in London.

Hess
08-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Man, looks like you didn't notice, but I mentioned those capitals because they're the capitals of high fashion. The only Southern European one is Milan.

I don't care about capitals, I was talking about the mentality and culture

Allenson
08-18-2011, 08:12 PM
I think Vermont fashion takes the cake.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_p4PkoeXYyOQ/TMBTYzG92PI/AAAAAAAAJ04/_uvtnaRlB7I/s1600/logger.bmp

El Palleter
08-18-2011, 09:23 PM

and that, we, so far, have stated here as something to be proud of. (If you read our previous posts). :cool:If he did he wouldn't be a top trash poster and he'd have nothing to say.

You are asking too much from him.

El Palleter
08-18-2011, 09:25 PM
I think Vermont fashion takes the cake.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_p4PkoeXYyOQ/TMBTYzG92PI/AAAAAAAAJ04/_uvtnaRlB7I/s1600/logger.bmpFrom the same collection?

http://glamboy69.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/ymca.jpg

El Palleter
08-18-2011, 09:31 PM
I think Southern European countries in general place far too high an emphasis on fashion and looks.Just to add to what Arnau said:

Hugo Boss
Karl Lagerfeld
Escada
Uli Herzner

etc

El Palleter
08-18-2011, 09:38 PM
As Chateau said, high fashion is usually disregarded by everyday Iberians, so no wonder the famous brands are Italian. In Iberia, fast-fashion is much preferred.That's why Paco "Rabanne" (Rabaneda) had to go to Paris to make himself a name in the world of haute couture. Or Balenciaga.

Meerkat.86
08-19-2011, 06:07 PM
too many bad stereotypes about Italians...
for those who have written that Italian men have no respect for women:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4d/Map3.1NEW_Womens_Physical_Security_2011_compressed .jpg

Italy is considered one of the safest countries for women, the rates of sexual abuses and domestic violence are one of the lowest.

And about men, It's true that some are ridiculously obsessed by fashion and body care, but they are generally stupid teenagers, there are no many adult men who behave in that way.

Aces High
08-19-2011, 06:22 PM
What? I always think of France as near the top when it comes to the fashion industry.

At the top are the Italians,then the French then England believe it or not.

Spain isnt even on the radar screen......probably ranks alongside western samoa or something.

Damião de Góis
08-19-2011, 06:37 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4d/Map3.1NEW_Womens_Physical_Security_2011_compressed .jpg

Italy is considered one of the safest countries for women, the rates of sexual abuses and domestic violence are one of the lowest.

Interesting map. So much for the "macho" southern europeans... :rolleyes:

Ibericus
08-19-2011, 06:38 PM
At the top are the Italians,then the French then England believe it or not.

Spain isnt even on the radar screen......probably ranks alongside western samoa or something.
Are you that stupid ? Barcelona is one of the fashion capitals, rank 7th and Madrid ranks 12th-
Plus Spain has a lot of top models and designers (Paco Rabanne, Adolfo Dominguez, Custo Dalmau, Ruiz de la Prada, etc)

Edge
08-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Does Spain have its equivalent of Monica Bellucci? :D

Aces High
08-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Are you that stupid ? Barcelona is one of the fashion capitals,

No it isnt.

Look at the top names and where they associate themsleves with.
London,Paris,Milano,New York....Roma maybe,Firenze too.

Barcelona.......:rotfl:

Ibericus
08-19-2011, 06:45 PM
No it isnt.

Barcelona.......:rotfl:
who laughs last laughs best :

"This was the first time the two Iberian cities were ranked in the Top Ten"

http://www.languagemonitor.com/fashion-capitals/new-york-regains-fashion-capital-crown-from-milan/

http://www.languagemonitor.com/fashion/london-overtakes-new-york-as-top-global-fashion-capital/

Aces High
08-19-2011, 06:47 PM

Yes shes called pedro almodovar.

Aces High
08-19-2011, 06:49 PM
who laughs last laughs best :

"This was the first time the two Iberian cities were ranked in the Top Ten"

http://www.languagemonitor.com/fashion-capitals/new-york-regains-fashion-capital-crown-from-milan/

http://www.languagemonitor.com/fashion/london-overtakes-new-york-as-top-global-fashion-capital/

From the above link....."Hong Kong overcomes both London and Paris"....and i suppose los ketchup will win the MTV best female act this year too eh Tuco.:rolleyes:

El Palleter
08-19-2011, 08:39 PM
No it isnt.

Barcelona.......:rotfl:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashion_capital#Fashion_Capitals_Rankings

wi·ki·ig·no·rant
adj \ˈwi-kē-ig-n(ə-)rənt\

1 a : destitute of knowledge or education so profound as to not being capable to make a simple search in a stupid online wikipedia; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified and being mentally impaired to overcome it.

b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence even for the most simple things in life regardless aid from modern technological widgets.

2 : unaware, uninformed, and mentally handicapped.

See also : wikiretarded

El Palleter
08-19-2011, 08:44 PM
http://www.blogygrana.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/melones1.png

From Villaconejos no less.

Aces High
08-19-2011, 08:54 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashion_capital#Fashion_Capitals_Rankings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiose_delusions

In colloquial usage, one who overestimates one's own abilities, talents, stature or situation is sometimes said to have 'delusions of grandeur'. This is generally due to excessive pride, rather than any actual delusions.

P-Chan
08-20-2011, 09:39 AM
but Italian men like dogs on heat,

It's funny because in Italy men use to call "bitches on heat" those horny Anglo-Saxon women (in particular Americans) who plan trips to Italy with the hope to have sex with them. :D

Laudanum
08-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Italy.:D

Tony
08-20-2011, 03:46 PM
But how do they draw a ranking about fashion?it's not like ranking who produce more cars or have a greater GDP...

here's a list of supposedly internationally recognized fashion designers and Italy beats Spain hands down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fashion_designers#Spain

Ibericus
08-20-2011, 03:48 PM
But how do they draw a ranking about fashion?it's not like ranking who produce more cars or have a greater GDP...

here's a list of supposedly internationally recognized fashion designers and Italy beats Spain hands down.
Yes, Italy beats Spain in fashion, but our fashion is not as crap as Aces wants it to be...Barcelona and Madrid are top fashion capitals. Not that I care though, im just stating facts.

Foxy
08-20-2011, 04:41 PM
I have decided to vote Italian men, in particular those who go to the gym coz when I enter in the gym I am in wonderland. I prefer them to Spanish men not becouse I am Italian but becouse I think Italians have more delicate features.

But please, stop posting pictures of fugly ones. Celentano is considered fugly in Italy, we joke always about his look.

Let me post a couple of handsome Italian men, a brunette and a blonde just to satisfy every taste.

http://www.hottiesoftheday.com/males/celebrities/raffaello-balzo/rafaellobalzo9.jpg

http://www.gay.tv/d@y/upl/d@y/userfiles/big_l_11a2938406eabab4b4281e33f4ee2874.jpg

Now It's OK and maybe now you understand my choice.

*For those who think that northern Italians are Northern Africa, the blonde one is from near Neaples.

Logan
08-20-2011, 05:36 PM
http://www.cbr600rr.com/albums/album40/Italian_Flag_Ferrari_face_edit.jpg

Nolo contendere.

El Palleter
08-21-2011, 12:41 AM
Nolo contendere.Ex abrupto.

Since the argument is not about cars. That's what happens when you get a yankee trying to pass as cult with a classic language –that's beyond his means.

Amapola
08-21-2011, 01:20 AM
If my vote could be divided, I would give 1 vote to Italian fashion and one vote to Spanish men. The Italian fashion industry can't be discussed and the Atlantic/Western thing of Spaniards, along with French and British, is something that has always attracted me, perhaps it's just a natural tendency towards what I am used to.

Treffie
08-21-2011, 01:35 AM
Ex abrupto.

Since the argument is not about cars. That's what happens when you get a Brit trying to pass as cult with a classic language –that's beyond his means.

This is more like it :p

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_02/picasso210607_468x296.jpg

Logan
08-21-2011, 02:24 AM
Since the argument is not about cars.

It's an Italian fashion. Not into men, but can distinguish ones lacking manners.

Comte Arnau
08-22-2011, 01:10 AM
Italy is a Leo country. So that they win in fashion and flamboyant stuff should be no wonder. :D

Foxy
08-27-2011, 12:19 PM

Italy is the home country of the "Dolce Stil Novo". In our pop culture, a woman should never be hitted. If some man does, the other men can hit that man and revange the woman. Probably a Longobard left. Add also that Italian men usually don't get as drunken as northern or eastern Europeans. Self-control is very esteemed.

Tony
08-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Italy is the home country of the "Dolce Stil Novo". In our pop culture, a woman should never be hitted. If some man does, the other men can hit that man and revange the woman. Probably a Longobard left. Add also that Italian men usually don't get as drunken as northern or eastern Europeans. Self-control is very esteemed.

In other worlds we are civilized.

beeee
08-27-2011, 03:54 PM
There are only two countries for men's orthodox fashion: England and Italy. :cool:

Lábaru
08-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Ancestry: French, drops of Dutch, Flemish, Corsican, Sicilian...

xD why everyone puts Sicily in last position? seems the norm.

beeee
08-27-2011, 04:41 PM

In my case, it is the weakest percentage of non-french blood. ;)

El Palleter
08-27-2011, 11:39 PM
In my case, it is the weakest percentage of non-french blood. ;)Claiming that it is the weakest percentage of all also seems to be the norm. Why?