PDA

View Full Version : Rat Species Found Making Poison to Defend Against Predators

Mercury
08-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Researchers from Oxford University and East African Scientists have discovered a species of rats that makes its own poison by gnawing on a poisonous tree and then slathering poisonous spit onto special sponge-like hairs on its flank to defend it.

The Crested Rat is a species of rat that has acquired lethal poison from a plant by chewing the bark of "Poison-arrow trees" called Acokanthera, so called because human hunters extract ouabain from them to coat arrows that can kill an elephant.

"At between 40 and 50 centimeters long, the Crested Rat looks quite harmless as it clambers about in rocky, wooded valleys in Kenya and the Horn of Africa," said Jonathan Kingdon of Oxford University's Department of Zoology.

"But once disturbed or attacked, the long fur on its flanks parts to expose a vivid black-and-white pattern around a leaf-shaped tract of peculiarly specialized hair, almost as if it is 'daring' a predator to take a bite of these poisoned hairs," he added.

Whole story here:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/191409/20110803/rats-poison-oxford-university-east-african-researcher-scientist-crested-rat-hairs-poison-arrow-trees.htm

http://blogs.nature.com/news/Crested_rat.jpg

Gregorios
08-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Very interesting.
It seems that while us humans are getting dumber and dumber each generation (devolving), other animals still continue to evolve.
The wonders of nature are strange indeed.

BeerBaron
08-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Right, ok I know this is tempting to study for researchers, but just kill it and make sure the ones like it are dead. Humans have had a long troubled history with rats, the last thing we need is god damn super rats.

Gregorios
08-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Right, ok I know this is tempting to study for researchers, but just kill it and make sure the ones like it are dead. Humans have had a long troubled history with rats, the last thing we need is god damn super rats.

That poison will kill predators only.
We humans don't eat rats, so don't worry.

BeerBaron
08-11-2011, 12:24 AM

Ok brain trust, well rats have a tendency to get onto ships and wind up in other countries with devastating effects. A rat like this would present a great risk to local species, a danger to humans, and can conceivably breed with local rat populations.

Mercury
08-11-2011, 06:29 AM

Don't be so sure. There's many Indians that essentially ONLY eat rats. I saw a documentary on them on NatGeo. It's all they catch and they can't afford to buy anything else to really eat.

Here's a video about farmers in India who 'hire' people to catch rats in their fields and allow them to eat the rat:
rCAoBjfaEbE

A rat like this would present a great risk to local species

I don't think they're related closely to the rats that live near us, so I don't think they'll be able to breed. Plus that plant which they steal the poison from isn't found in North America.

Lasituacion
08-11-2011, 06:47 AM
I think it's interesting that these little creatures show some way of intelligence.