PDA

View Full Version : Why Be Normal?

Loddfafner
08-12-2011, 04:41 PM
The concept of normality is based on a confusion between is and ought, or what is statistically average and what one ought to do or be. Each is meaningful on its own but those who confuse these two kinds of normality fall into a trap of arguing that everyone should be closer to average than they are.

Conversely, they will use the word "deviant" as a negative trait, the opposite of normal, confusing what is rare with what is wrong. They forget that the genius is the ultimate deviant. Do they really think that we all should conform to a herd and limit our culture to the lowest common denominator?

Why be normal? Why not?

Rosenrot
08-12-2011, 04:51 PM
I know a song that has a beautiful phrase:

"There is a god in each society
So right is wrong where wrong is right "

The concept of "being normal" - In my opinion - depends solely on what others demand of others, and the right to judge according to these demands. But each culture has different requirements. Therefore, "be normal" means fit into patterns established by others; is to be accepted, comfortably admired in some cases, but stay attached to masks.

In Brazil, we say "by close, nobody is normal." When meeting someone for real, you find the peculiarities we all have.

Treffie
08-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Is there such thing?

antonio
08-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Normality is just a kind of save harbour for mediocrity or even plain imbecility. I was been always regarded (there're things difficult to disguise) as a rare one...and (slighty traumatized even now, maybe) but indeed proud of it.:thumb001:

Comte Arnau
08-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Normality is simply what is regarded as conventional by a specific society at a specific time. As such, at some periods it's been overrated, and some others underrated.

Nowadays in the West, being abnormal is normal, while being normal is abnormal.

Aces High
08-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Do they really think that we all should conform to a herd and limit our culture to the lowest common denominator?

We should all conform to the collective coomon good,which doesnt mean conforming to the lowest common denominator.

This way you can be wacky and have a distreesed haircut and wear that moody "im so individual" look to try and pull a few birds........and not be considered normal......but a nice quiet boy who likes to stay up in his room listening to records.

GeistFaust
08-12-2011, 07:40 PM
I think the question of normality is simply a social issue. Of course there are natural norms or standards but these don't operate on rules or principles like social norms or standards. I think acting normally so to speak we all conform to from a young age both within the family and social structures.

There are always opportunities to act abnormal or chaotic in so far as it is refined to a personal space that does not make it possible to interrupt the daily flow of social life.

Of course some people will see an abnormal behavior as being normal either because they are abnormal themselves or because the action itself seems to go against the norm.

It is true though that a person who resists or goes against a faulty norm or standard will be looked upon in a negative light but this is simply due to social issues. That said all norms or standards are determined by social values but instead sometimes they naturally present themselves to us in the form of common sense.

Of course social values will generationally have an influence on this common sense but the goal of our social values should intend to defend and preserve the common sensical understanding of "normality" in the process of imposing social laws. To a certain extent normality can be explained both from a social and common sensical standpoint but to a certain point we can not define it from either point of view and it seems that we are rather uncertain when it is definable or not at times.

mymy
08-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Normal or not, you should always be yourself as long as your behaving doesn't put lives of other people in danger.

Conventional is not always good. I see some traits of majority as quite deviant, but still, society treat it as normal. So, to different people "normal" has different meaning. And yes, i refuse to accept that normal is what majority say....

GeistFaust
08-12-2011, 08:05 PM
What is normal from a social perspective will depend on the social perspective of that culture on the other hand the norms and standards imposed and determined by nature are universal and applicable in almost every case. The masses tend to be deviant more often than not but sometimes this deviance is accepted as normal from the average person's mind but from a healthy social perspective it could be seen as presenting a problem.

This is why we build and construct systems of laws to protect the herd from itself and to protect others from the all consuming selfishness and egotism of the masses. I think the masses have a negative concept of applying them appropriately socially and they ressent people who are able to or do so.

This means there will be constant friction and tension between the "atypical" and "typical" individual and the supposed atypical person should try to gain every advantage socially over the "typical" individual in the situation that the "typical" person represents the ignorant masses.

The "typical" person will range in variation depending on the social perspective and the social perspective will range in variation depending on the typicality and atypicality of the individual in charge of dictating the social perspective.

I think it is possible from a social point of view to see one person as typical or atypical from many different points of view so when determining whether or not someone is normal or not is not always any more clear cut than the opinions of others.

Gregorios
08-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Why be normal?

Why not?

GeistFaust
08-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Opposing questions to an original question sometimes have as much to do with an innate dichotomy between whether a thing is or not normal. That said we must remember our questions are the result of other questions and end up resulting in other questions.

The thing is the validity of being normal or not depends on how much advantage it can give you to be normal or abnormal socially. I do not think it garners one advantages when they conform to the standard or norm imposed by the Masses. It would be more advantageous socially to define normal or abnormal not based on popular or public opinion but from a rational perspective.

That said it depends on the situation and the possible advantages that can be gained from being abnormal or not and we also need to factor in that since the definition of normal and abnormal is not always going to be determined by common sense whether or not it is profitable to act in a certain way under a certain set of rules in an abnormal or normal way is simply relative.

Raskolnikov
08-13-2011, 02:25 AM
The concept of normality is based on a confusion between is and ought, or what is statistically average and what one ought to do or be. Each is meaningful on its own but those who confuse these two kinds of normality fall into a trap of arguing that everyone should be closer to average than they are.

Conversely, they will use the word "deviant" as a negative trait, the opposite of normal, confusing what is rare with what is wrong. They forget that the genius is the ultimate deviant. Do they really think that we all should conform to a herd and limit our culture to the lowest common denominator?

Why be normal? Why not?
Well, speaking of what's normal for my life, here and now, what is normal is pretend to be "abnormal", "deviant", "not part of the herd" or "the masses", to be a "genius", not to "conform". Every idiot was told this. Now what?

You're "somewhat atypical", right? Well, since we're speaking of priding abnormality, since you brought it up - are you, really?

Boudica
08-13-2011, 02:36 AM
I don't consider myself normal, normal is boring, if some one were to tell me that i'm "average" or "normal" then I would think that I need to change something.. People need to have a certain thing about them, that makes them abnormal, because it's beautiful and interesting.

Raskolnikov
08-13-2011, 02:42 AM
Don't forget to fake insanity.

Pallantides
08-13-2011, 02:53 AM
What Charlie Sheen would have said "Normality is for fools and trolls"

ariaka
08-13-2011, 05:47 AM
A person shouldn't try to be normal and they shouldn't try to be deviant. They should just be themselves and if it happens to be normal its normal if its deviant its deviant and if its a combination of the two its that.

Logan
08-13-2011, 06:04 AM
Should you lack the abilty to have empathy for or give respect to others, then you are abnormal. Abnormal is not a desirable condition. Otherwise you are on your own.

Aces High
08-13-2011, 07:24 AM
People need to have a certain thing about them, that makes them abnormal, because it's beautiful and interesting.

Stop watching MTV.

rhiannon
08-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Normality can bite me.

Laudanum
08-13-2011, 09:14 AM
It's funny, I wouldn't consider myself a normal person at all. I often wear different clothes, I listen to different music and I like different things, yet most people I know say I am one of the most ''normal'' persons they know. It's probably because I really am myself. I'm not putting on an act to just ''be different'' from other people. I am who I am, and therefore people consider me ''normal'' and respect me.:)

Özgür Adam
10-19-2019, 06:22 PM
normality is social moral construct

CordedWhelp
10-19-2019, 06:31 PM
#Deep

:picard2:

farke1
10-19-2019, 06:44 PM
It's a pointless thought exercise. Individuality should be encouraged at whatever cost.