PDA

View Full Version : What kind of degree do you have?

jalapeno
02-07-2020, 05:45 AM
I have American high school degree, plus a Basic Vocational Cert in Office tech/data-entry @ Amerian community college..which means nothing LOL

how bout you?..

Annie999
03-06-2020, 12:39 PM
A crappy one, but it’s OK as I was never asked to show it. Fortunately my field is based on capabilities more than degrees and I’ve build a career without depending on formal education proof.

For example my clients speak english, so english is a basic skill that I need, yet I never took english lessons, I learnt by myself so I don't have any degree on that either.

Mr.G
03-06-2020, 12:51 PM
Bachelor of Science - Health and Physical Education.

Even though I'm not a teacher, my degree has helped my career.

pajkosbalna
03-06-2020, 12:53 PM
MSc in logistics

Chris596
03-06-2020, 12:57 PM
High school degree so far. And I'm currently a university student.

Jana
03-06-2020, 01:03 PM
Masters in law.

Oghuz
03-06-2020, 01:08 PM
BS Chemistry
MSc Chemistry
MS Organic Chemistry
PhD Organic Chemistry
Post Doc 1 Theoretical Chemistry
Post Doc 2 Theoretical Chemistry

itilvolga
03-06-2020, 03:13 PM
BS International Relations soon

Ford
03-06-2020, 03:14 PM
MSc in Mechanical Engineering

Daco Celtic
03-06-2020, 03:18 PM
Master's in Urban Planning

Kaspias
03-06-2020, 03:22 PM
BA Foreign language teaching and BA International Relations soon

Ford
03-06-2020, 03:27 PM
BS Chemistry
MSc Chemistry
MS Organic Chemistry
PhD Organic Chemistry
Post Doc 1 Theoretical Chemistry
Post Doc 2 Theoretical Chemistry

Impressive. You and Aldaris are probably the least retarded on this board.

Oghuz
03-06-2020, 03:36 PM

Oh I have been called plenty of things here.

Would you go for PhD post MSc?

Westbrook
03-06-2020, 03:40 PM
BS in CSE and Currently working on this. What field did you end up in?

Rgvgjhvv
03-06-2020, 03:41 PM
MA in Music Composition
Currently PhD in Ethnomusicology

Ford
03-06-2020, 03:45 PM
Oh I have been called plenty of things here.

Would you go for PhD post MSc?

I have considered it, but I don't have the discipline or energy for it at the moment.

BS in CSE and Currently working on this. What field did you end up in?

Industry/manufacturing. I regret it a little that I didn't choose a similar field to yours, but it's alright.

Celestia
03-06-2020, 03:48 PM
BS in Psychology

Westbrook
03-06-2020, 03:56 PM
Really? Where I live is actually a pretty big industrial hub for things like manufacturing, shipping, logistics, etc and I've already got some connections in that realm with some pretty good opportunities waiting for me should I want them.
I have considered it, but I don't have the discipline or energy for it at the moment.

Industry/manufacturing. I regret it a little that I didn't choose a similar field to yours, but it's alright.

Thracian
03-06-2020, 03:57 PM
PhD in nuclear sciences

Duffmannn
03-06-2020, 04:17 PM
Degree on History
Master in North American Contemporary History

Spanish
English
Italian
German

Freeroostah
03-06-2020, 04:21 PM
Bachelors Degree in Business (Marketing concentration) and also a minor in History
Im currently thinking for masters in History,Anthropology,or International Relations/Geopolitics.

Westbrook
03-06-2020, 04:26 PM
I'm curious what career field you lot are in
PhD in nuclear sciences

Degree on History
Master in North American Contemporary History

Spanish
English
Italian
German

Bachelors Degree in Business (Marketing concentration) and also a minor in History
Im currently thinking for masters in History,Anthropology,or International Relations/Geopolitics.

Bachelor of Science - Health and Physical Education.

Even though I'm not a teacher, my degree has helped my career.

IrisSelene
03-06-2020, 04:39 PM
None bc I am a badass dropout lol

It's actually thanks to my mental issues but anyway.

I do want to get back on track and try to get into university but I can't decide on what to study.

Enviado desde mi CLT-L09 mediante Tapatalk

Root
03-06-2020, 04:53 PM
MSc in the Apricity anthropology.

Kyp
03-06-2020, 06:39 PM
B.Sc.
B.Eng

pulstar
03-06-2020, 06:48 PM

Essentially this. My major is control systems engineering, but today I deeply regret I didn't study theoretical physics or mathematics as I see how less intelligent and less knowledgeable people manage to finish it and get fine jobs.

TheMaestro
03-06-2020, 07:11 PM
Masters in retardology topped in class obviously.

Ülev
03-06-2020, 07:23 PM
yet in the elementary school

in some of my nightmares

IrisSelene
03-06-2020, 07:24 PM
yet in the elementary school

in some of my nightmaresSame

Enviado desde mi CLT-L09 mediante Tapatalk

JamesBond007
03-06-2020, 07:25 PM
I was a computer system administrator and the job included some programming (mostly scripting languages) so I decided to deep dive into programming and now I am a computer programmer. I went to college for computer information systems , at a state university , but found it to be a waste of my time and dropped out. Anyone, with an IQ of 125 or higher can essentially train themselves to do anything. More and more computer programmers are self-taught every year.

Our 2016 Developer Survey found that 56% of developers [computer programmers] in fact do not have a college degree in computer science or related fields. The most popular way for developers to learn is by “self-teaching” in some way (69% of respondents told us they were at least partially self-taught; 13% said they were entirely self-taught).

https://149351115.v2.pressablecdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Screen_Shot_2016-10-06_at_10.42.07_AM.png

https://stackoverflow.blog/2016/10/07/do-developers-need-college-degrees/

Aldaris
03-06-2020, 07:45 PM

Don't haste with this. I mean, ^. Compared to James Bond over there, we're a pair of dummies.

JamesBond007
03-06-2020, 08:08 PM
Don't haste with this. I mean, ^. Compared to James Bond over there, we're a pair of dummies.

College is obsolete :

Deschooling Society (1971) is a book that brought Ivan Illich to public attention. It is a critical discourse on education as practised in modern economies.

Summary

The book contains suggestions for changes to learning in society and individual lifetimes. For example he calls (in 1971) for the use of advanced technology to support "learning webs".[1][2][3][4]

The operation of a peer-matching network would be simple. The user would identify himself by name and address and describe the activity for which he sought a peer. A computer would send him back the names and addresses of all those who had inserted the same description. It is amazing that such a simple utility has never been used on a broad scale for publicly valued activity.[5]

Illich argued that the use of technology to create decentralized webs could support the goal of creating a good educational system:

A good educational system should have three purposes: it should provide all who want to learn with access to available resources at any time in their lives; empower all who want to share what they know to find those who want to learn it from them; and, finally, furnish all who want to present an issue to the public with the opportunity to make their challenge known.[6]

Illich posited self-directed education, supported by intentional social relations in fluid informal arrangements:

Universal education through schooling is not feasible. It would be no more feasible if it were attempted by means of alternative institutions built on the style of present schools. Neither new attitudes of teachers toward their pupils nor the proliferation of educational hardware or software (in classroom or bedroom), nor finally the attempt to expand the pedagogue's responsibility until it engulfs his pupils' lifetimes will deliver universal education. The current search for new educational funnels must be reversed into the search for their institutional inverse: educational webs which heighten the opportunity for each one to transform each moment of his living into one of learning, sharing, and caring. We hope to contribute concepts needed by those who conduct such counterfoil research on education – and also to those who seek alternatives to other established service industries.[7]

The last sentence makes clear what the title suggests—that the institutionalization of education is considered to institutionalize society and conversely that ideas for de-institutionalizing education may be a starting point for a de-institutionalized society.[8][9]
Learning Networks

Developing this idea Illich proposes four Learning Networks.

Reference Service to Educational Objects - An open directory of educational resources and their availability to learners.
Skills Exchange - A database of people willing to list their skills and the basis on which they would be prepared to share or swap them with others.
Peer-Matching - A network helping people to communicate their learning activities and aims in order to find similar learners who may wish to collaborate.
Directory of Professional Educators - A list of professionals, paraprofessionals and free-lancers detailing their qualifications, services and the terms on which these are made available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deschooling_Society

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41m1bY0LtIL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Why people are so irrational :

Education — Instead of public education being used to teach children healthy learning attitudes, they are used for the opposite, to indoctrinate children with dogma, often patently false, even known to be false by the officials imposing the education.

Propaganda — After being taught to read but not weigh evidence and form original opinions, children become adults who are then subjected to dubious or obviously false claims for the rest of their lives.

Economic pressure — The State and political class will use its control of finances and economy to impose its ideas, by restricting the choices of those who disagree.

Smaug
03-06-2020, 08:23 PM
Postgraduate degree- Civil Engineering

JamesBond007
03-06-2020, 08:28 PM
https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-colleges-hate-geniuses-just-as-convents-hate-saints-ralph-waldo-emerson-37-65-78.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U

Ülev
03-06-2020, 08:32 PM
last educational thing was - Tactical course of the battalion staff officer :rolleyes:

pulstar
03-06-2020, 08:47 PM
last educational thing was - Tactical course of the battalion staff officer :rolleyes:

Starfleet?

Cumansky
03-06-2020, 08:54 PM
Pasha North Degree

JamesBond007
03-07-2020, 01:04 AM
College is obsolete :

Deschooling Society (1971) is a book that brought Ivan Illich to public attention. It is a critical discourse on education as practised in modern economies.

Summary

The book contains suggestions for changes to learning in society and individual lifetimes. For example he calls (in 1971) for the use of advanced technology to support "learning webs".[1][2][3][4]

The operation of a peer-matching network would be simple. The user would identify himself by name and address and describe the activity for which he sought a peer. A computer would send him back the names and addresses of all those who had inserted the same description. It is amazing that such a simple utility has never been used on a broad scale for publicly valued activity.[5]

Illich argued that the use of technology to create decentralized webs could support the goal of creating a good educational system:

A good educational system should have three purposes: it should provide all who want to learn with access to available resources at any time in their lives; empower all who want to share what they know to find those who want to learn it from them; and, finally, furnish all who want to present an issue to the public with the opportunity to make their challenge known.[6]

Illich posited self-directed education, supported by intentional social relations in fluid informal arrangements:

Universal education through schooling is not feasible. It would be no more feasible if it were attempted by means of alternative institutions built on the style of present schools. Neither new attitudes of teachers toward their pupils nor the proliferation of educational hardware or software (in classroom or bedroom), nor finally the attempt to expand the pedagogue's responsibility until it engulfs his pupils' lifetimes will deliver universal education. The current search for new educational funnels must be reversed into the search for their institutional inverse: educational webs which heighten the opportunity for each one to transform each moment of his living into one of learning, sharing, and caring. We hope to contribute concepts needed by those who conduct such counterfoil research on education – and also to those who seek alternatives to other established service industries.[7]

The last sentence makes clear what the title suggests—that the institutionalization of education is considered to institutionalize society and conversely that ideas for de-institutionalizing education may be a starting point for a de-institutionalized society.[8][9]
Learning Networks

Developing this idea Illich proposes four Learning Networks.

Reference Service to Educational Objects - An open directory of educational resources and their availability to learners.
Skills Exchange - A database of people willing to list their skills and the basis on which they would be prepared to share or swap them with others.
Peer-Matching - A network helping people to communicate their learning activities and aims in order to find similar learners who may wish to collaborate.
Directory of Professional Educators - A list of professionals, paraprofessionals and free-lancers detailing their qualifications, services and the terms on which these are made available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deschooling_Society

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41m1bY0LtIL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Why people are so irrational :

Education — Instead of public education being used to teach children healthy learning attitudes, they are used for the opposite, to indoctrinate children with dogma, often patently false, even known to be false by the officials imposing the education.

Propaganda — After being taught to read but not weigh evidence and form original opinions, children become adults who are then subjected to dubious or obviously false claims for the rest of their lives.

Economic pressure — The State and political class will use its control of finances and economy to impose its ideas, by restricting the choices of those who disagree.

Do you need a college degree or certification to be a cybersecurity professional?

"Not at all. Both can be helpful for career progression purposes, but they’re not required at all." --Robert M. Lee

Twitter: @RobertMLee • Website: www.robertmlee.org

Robert M. Lee is the CEO and founder of the industrial (ICS/IIoT) cybersecurity company Dragos, Inc. He is also a nonresident National Cybersecurity Fellow at New America, focusing on policy issues relating to the cybersecurity of critical infrastructure. For his research and focus areas, Robert was named one of Passcode’s Influencers, and in 2015, he was awarded EnergySec’s Cybersecurity Professional of the Year. The following year, he was inducted into Forbes’s 30 under 30 for Enterprise Technology. Robert obtained his start in cybersecurity in the U.S. Air Force and at the National Security Agency. While in the U.S. Air Force, he served as a Cyber Warfare Operations Officer. Robert has performed defense, intelligence, and attack missions in various government organizations, including the establishment of a first-of-its-kind ICS/SCADA cyber-threat intelligence and intrusion analysis mission. A passionate educator, Robert has authored several courses for SANS, along with their accompanying certifications. He routinely writes for publications on the topics of industrial security, threat intelligence, and cybersecurity and is a frequent speaker at conferences around the world. Robert has testified before the U.S. Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee and is currently pursuing his PhD at King’s College London, researching the industrial control threat landscape. Lastly, Robert, along with Jeff Haas, creates a weekly technology and security web comic titled Little Bobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rimV61QAM3U

Faklon
03-07-2020, 01:22 AM
BSc in Electronics.
MSc in Telecommunications.
PhD in Burpees.

Faklon
03-07-2020, 01:23 AM
https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-colleges-hate-geniuses-just-as-convents-hate-saints-ralph-waldo-emerson-37-65-78.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U

College npcs can't see the dark side of the moon.

PAGANE
03-07-2020, 05:12 AM
Masters Degree in Ecology
and
Master's in History is about defending a thesis

Nazarene
03-07-2020, 05:14 AM
Still in uni

Voskos
03-07-2020, 10:42 AM
I'm a college dropout.

Daos777
03-16-2020, 07:21 PM
A crappy one, but it’s OK as I was never asked to show it. Fortunately my field is based on capabilities more than degrees and I’ve build a career without depending on formal education proof.

For example my clients speak english, so english is a basic skill that I need, yet I never took english lessons, I learnt by myself so I don't have any degree on that either.

Woah, damn you smart.

Lioncourt
03-16-2020, 07:27 PM
Bachelor in Computer Science.

Voskos
03-16-2020, 07:28 PM
what do you plan to do after college?

It's been a long time since I dropped out. First I did my mandatory military service and since that I've been a seasonal worker in the tourism industry.

WeirdLookingFellow
03-16-2020, 07:33 PM
Bachelors in Sociology/Anthropology (they give you both titles where I graduated).
Almost close to getting my Masters in what is on paper Big Data analytics.

I also know German and I am learning Russian at the moment; foreign languages (including ENglish) helped me out more than my degree.

щрбл
03-16-2020, 07:41 PM
I have no special degree but I'm streets smart.
I'm also qualified in anthrotardism and anticommunism, a field in which I'm a quasi-expert.

Seya
03-16-2020, 07:45 PM
Fine Arts university degree
International policy and diplomacy master degree

Voskos
03-16-2020, 07:47 PM
Bachelors in Sociology/Anthropology (they give you both titles where I graduated).
Almost close to getting my Masters in what is on paper Big Data analytics.

How did you transition from anthropology to Big Data. It must have been tough as hell.

щрбл
03-16-2020, 07:49 PM
Fine Arts university degree
International policy and diplomacy master degree

I need the opinion of an expert.
How is this shit called art? I couldn't sleep for week and the answer still eludes me.

https://news.artnet.com/app/news-upload/2019/12/maurizio-cattelan-banana-1024x600.jpg

Seya
03-16-2020, 08:04 PM
How is this shit called art? I couldn't sleep for week and the answer still eludes me.

https://news.artnet.com/app/news-upload/2019/12/maurizio-cattelan-banana-1024x600.jpg

it was a form of experimental art in the begining of the century where most artists were inventing more and more ingenious forms of art. there is an artist called Marcel Duchamp who came up with this idea that any object exhibited in a museum, it becomes a work of art. but today non of this makes sense anymore. that was a one-time idea.

Cumansky
03-16-2020, 08:12 PM
I have no degree, I have life degree

I went to many post secondary institution and everytime they paid for my "education" with sports scholarship, I sit in the class sometimes but usually I skipped, is all a propaganda they are teaching another high school bullshit just they ask you to pay them, when is time for homework I rather go to stripclub or nightclub, in middle March sport season is done I dropout every year

Was the school work "university/college" hard? No it was easy I can do in my sleep but waste of time

Voskos
03-16-2020, 08:23 PM
just they ask you to pay them, when is time for homework I rather go to stripclub or nightclub, in middle March sport season is done I dropout every year

Lol.Worst part of being a dropout for me is to see my old classmates from uni that used to cheat from me during exams, now they have university degrees and act all snobbish.

Cumansky
03-16-2020, 08:28 PM
Lol.Worst part of being a dropout for me is to see my old classmates from uni that used to cheat from me during exams, now they have university degrees and act all snobbish.

My sister has PHD, after 5 years of being lawyer she wants start her own small business. She work with many snobbish and wants change in career, money is alot but not everything, and degree is overated

щрбл
03-16-2020, 08:28 PM
it was a form of experimental art in the begining of the century where most artists were inventing more and more ingenious forms of art. there is an artist called Marcel Duchamp who came up with this idea that any object exhibited in a museum, it becomes a work of art. but today non of this makes sense anymore. that was a one-time idea.

I'll be sleeping tonight, thank you. :rolleyes:

Voskos
03-16-2020, 08:35 PM
My sister has PHD, after 5 years of being lawyer she wants start her own small business. She work with many snobbish and wants change in career, money is alot but not everything, and degree is overated

my sister same, she has masters in management from world top 150 unis and works in western europe, her pay is low as fuck and her boss has worse degree than her. i think western system sucks in general , you need to lick a lot of boots to go up the ladder.

tell her to work as company lawyer or counselor.starting own business is risky.

Cumansky
03-16-2020, 08:42 PM
my sister same, she has masters in management from world top 150 unis and works in western europe, her pay is low as fuck and her boss has worse degree than her. i think western system sucks in general , you need to lick a lot of boots to go up the ladder.

tell her to work as company lawyer or counselor.starting own business is risky.

Those "Lawyers" always changing goal posts in that profession, what I mean if you are going to be partner "part owner" of the law firm after a given period (for example 7 years experience) when you are approaching that milestone they will change the law firm rules to (10 years experience) to become partner, then when you are at 9 years they will tell you that they found your replacement so you don't become partner, is all a slavery too unless your name -stein then you are slavemaster

WeirdLookingFellow
03-16-2020, 09:01 PM
How did you transition from anthropology to Big Data. It must have been tough as hell.

Not especially; I did some statistics during the bachelors and overall you don't do much math as much as understanding why you test for x and not y what's more suited for your data etc.

Westbrook
03-16-2020, 09:19 PM

https://i.imgur.com/Xm5r0TK.jpg

Crn Volk
03-16-2020, 09:25 PM
B.Bus - Economics & Finance

Lioncourt
03-16-2020, 09:31 PM

It's art if it triggers your senses. Therefore, fart is art too, just F quality.

michal3141
03-16-2020, 09:50 PM
MSc in Computer Science.

JamesBond007
03-16-2020, 10:02 PM
Do you need a college degree or certification to be a cybersecurity professional?

"Not at all. Both can be helpful for career progression purposes, but they’re not required at all." --Robert M. Lee

Twitter: @RobertMLee • Website: www.robertmlee.org

Robert M. Lee is the CEO and founder of the industrial (ICS/IIoT) cybersecurity company Dragos, Inc. He is also a nonresident National Cybersecurity Fellow at New America, focusing on policy issues relating to the cybersecurity of critical infrastructure. For his research and focus areas, Robert was named one of Passcode’s Influencers, and in 2015, he was awarded EnergySec’s Cybersecurity Professional of the Year. The following year, he was inducted into Forbes’s 30 under 30 for Enterprise Technology. Robert obtained his start in cybersecurity in the U.S. Air Force and at the National Security Agency. While in the U.S. Air Force, he served as a Cyber Warfare Operations Officer. Robert has performed defense, intelligence, and attack missions in various government organizations, including the establishment of a first-of-its-kind ICS/SCADA cyber-threat intelligence and intrusion analysis mission. A passionate educator, Robert has authored several courses for SANS, along with their accompanying certifications. He routinely writes for publications on the topics of industrial security, threat intelligence, and cybersecurity and is a frequent speaker at conferences around the world. Robert has testified before the U.S. Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee and is currently pursuing his PhD at King’s College London, researching the industrial control threat landscape. Lastly, Robert, along with Jeff Haas, creates a weekly technology and security web comic titled Little Bobby.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/C1IsCjZKdec/maxresdefault.jpg

"Hell no." -- Dug Song

Dug Song is the co-founder and CEO of Duo Security, the leading provider of unified access security and multi-factor authentication delivered through the cloud. Duo protects more than 12,000 customers globally, including Dresser-Rand, Etsy, Facebook, K-Swiss, Random House, Yelp, Zillow, Paramount Pictures, and more. Founded in Michigan, Duo has offices in Ann Arbor and Detroit, as well as growing hubs in Austin, Texas; San Mateo, California; and London. Prior to launching Duo, Dug spent seven years as founding Chief Security Architect at Arbor Networks, protecting 80 percent of the world’s internet service providers, and helping to grow the company to $120M+ annual revenue before its acquisition by Danaher. Dug also built the first commercial network anomaly detection system, acquired by Check Point Software Technologies. Dug’s contributions to the security community include popular projects on open source security, distributed file systems, and operating systems as well as co-founding the USENIX Workshop on Offensive Technologies.

Twitter: @dugsong Website: www.dugsong.com

JamesBond007
03-16-2020, 10:08 PM
MSc in Computer Science.

For real hackers college is obsolete. For instance, SUNY Broome is like one of the only New York state colleges or the only New York state college to offer Cybersecurity for a college degree. I just visited the website and the website uses an outdated TLS encryption standard for SSL and probably does not use libressl but openssl etc... first of all you can't teach the real hacker mindset really or at least it is really hard to teach it and second of all technology changes too fast :

The U.S. should take a slew of steps today to prevent a major cyberattack that could wreak wide-scale devastation on the U.S., a year-long study mandated by Congress reported Wednesday. From a report:

"A major cyberattack on the nation's critical infrastructure and economic system would create chaos and lasting damage exceeding that wreaked by fires in California, floods in the Midwest, and hurricanes in the Southeast," the report predicts. What they're saying: "This is like doing the 9/11 Commission before 9/11 happens. We want to avoid that situation," Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-Wis.), a co-chair of the panel, said at an Axios event Monday. At the same event, Sen. Angus King (I-Maine), the other co-chair, said the U.S. does not currently have an effective deterrence policy in place to discourage hostile cyberattacks. "We are getting killed by a thousand cuts," he said.

https://www.axios.com/cybersecurity-commission-report-warns-us-unready-for-cyberattack-1d04aee2-58bb-4216-b87b-8d1126d03477.html

oh-nahhh
03-16-2020, 10:34 PM
Master of Science in Engineering.

michal3141
03-16-2020, 10:54 PM
For real hackers college is obsolete. For instance, SUNY Broome is like one of the only New York state colleges or the only New York state college to offer Cybersecurity for a college degree. I just visited the website and the website uses an outdated TLS encryption standard for SSL and probably does not use libressl but openssl etc... first of all you can't teach the real hacker mindset really or at least it is really hard to teach it and second of all technology changes too fast :

The U.S. should take a slew of steps today to prevent a major cyberattack that could wreak wide-scale devastation on the U.S., a year-long study mandated by Congress reported Wednesday. From a report:

"A major cyberattack on the nation's critical infrastructure and economic system would create chaos and lasting damage exceeding that wreaked by fires in California, floods in the Midwest, and hurricanes in the Southeast," the report predicts. What they're saying: "This is like doing the 9/11 Commission before 9/11 happens. We want to avoid that situation," Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-Wis.), a co-chair of the panel, said at an Axios event Monday. At the same event, Sen. Angus King (I-Maine), the other co-chair, said the U.S. does not currently have an effective deterrence policy in place to discourage hostile cyberattacks. "We are getting killed by a thousand cuts," he said.

https://www.axios.com/cybersecurity-commission-report-warns-us-unready-for-cyberattack-1d04aee2-58bb-4216-b87b-8d1126d03477.html

Sure you can become a great expert in many fields such as cybersecurity, web development, system administration etc. without any formal education.
Still college is great if you want to get a broader picture and not just become an expert in a narrow niche.

Ion Basescul
03-16-2020, 10:55 PM
MSc in Computer Science.

Same

Wegner
03-16-2020, 11:20 PM

Obviously not when the "Cybersecurity Professional" just runs a Nessus scan and sends the results to the system administrators to deal with, which has been my experience with them. No clue about anything more than how to run a security scanner. No idea how to interpret the results and apply it to the environment; for example, they might report as a finding that a web-managed device has a self-signed certificate. The scanner told them that was a problem and that's all they know about it. No concern about the balance between security and availability; that's for the system administrators to worry about.

RandomGuy20
03-19-2020, 08:24 AM
Bachelors in Criminology
Cert 2 in Plumbing

Wegner
03-21-2020, 04:34 AM
I think for someone to be really effective in Cybersecurity they MUST have some knowledge of system administration. Otherwise, they're just white hat script kiddies.

Ylla
03-28-2020, 07:20 PM
My degree was a 4 years masters and one year pre registration so I had to work as a student and pass the pre reg exam on the 5th year before registering as a pharmacist. It was difficult but I had an older student mentoring me which really helped 🙌
Myself: pharmacy, husband: IT and marketing (he didn't graduate with a high level, he is more practical than academic person but passed his thesis)
But I am thinking of a career change to become a pediatric nurse in the next few years 👩⚕️ - I can pass so much of my medical knowledge and skills already and I really would love to care and work with children

Miraak
04-08-2020, 11:47 PM
Bacherlor of Arts, International History and Relation Studies.
Grudated last October, work for about 4 months then there's COVID-19, the rest is history..

MsSPF
04-10-2020, 09:30 AM
By september, hopefully a master degree in international procurement/business

kefalonitis
05-02-2020, 07:09 AM
BSc on Civil Engineering
MSc on Analysis and Design of Earthquake Resistant Structures.
I rejected the idea of doing a second master,this time on economics.
I just don't understand why many of my colleagues choose MSc on economics,it's unrelated and useless especially for a junior engineer like me.
Now i'm thinking about a BSc on Mechanical Engineering,not only for career purposes but also as a hobby cause this engineering branch is my second love after civil.

Konstantinos
05-02-2020, 08:11 AM
Bachelor's in Business Administration.

catgeorge
05-07-2020, 11:35 AM
MSE
MPE

Carl34
06-05-2020, 12:21 PM
Bachelor of Arts. How stupid was I?:picard1:

Lousianaboy
06-05-2020, 12:22 PM
im studying high school

Finnish Swede
08-17-2020, 02:47 PM
Two exams to pass and Bachelor of Science :thumb001:.

Hawkguy
08-27-2020, 11:32 AM
Bachelor in Biology. And I'm thinking do one Master in Ecology, Botany or Marine biology.

Hawkguy
08-27-2020, 11:43 AM
As a child I really wanted to study Marine biology. it's very interesting

I worked in a marine biology laboratory for 2 years. But my focus was just a few beaches in my city. My job was to analyze the quality of sea water, identify species and catalog. But I liked to study sharks and seahorses. My ex-boss did his master's degree about white sharks in South Africa. And I have a shark tooth necklace. haha

Laly
08-27-2020, 11:53 AM
What would you guess regarding me?

Hawkguy
08-27-2020, 11:59 AM
This is very interesting. When I think about this specialty, I keep an idea in my head how much we do not know about our planet and about the sea creatures including.

It is an interesting area. If you like preservation, marine zoology and I don't know in other countries, but a marine biologist in Brazil also works on the economic issue like fishing. Because many countries have an economy based on fishing.

Recently, there was a controversy involving the Nordic countries and Japan, due to predatory whale hunting.

Übermensch
08-27-2020, 12:01 PM
High school degree, i'm studying natural sciences at university.

pulstar
08-27-2020, 12:02 PM
What would you guess regarding me?

Oh, a guessing game. Hmm... Maybe masters degree in psychology?

Laly
08-27-2020, 12:04 PM
Oh, a guessing game. Hmm... Maybe masters degree in psychology?

Lol no, I would have never done that! :p What makes you think that?

Laly
08-27-2020, 12:05 PM
It seems to me that you're an anthropologist;)

Neither :)

pulstar
08-27-2020, 12:09 PM
Lol no, I would have never done that! :p What makes you think that?

No clue, how about linguistics?

Laly
08-27-2020, 12:25 PM
No clue, how about linguistics?

You are very close, as one of my two master degrees includes a lot of linguistics. But I'm not sure I want to reveal more about myself, at least for now. I wanted to see what you'd have guess. :)

And concerning psychology, all the ones I've seen that have studied that really seemed mentally ill to me...

Hawkguy
08-27-2020, 12:26 PM
There is also romance in this profession. Sea, evening, sunset. It is beautiful.
I see the statistics on killing of whales in different countries and I am surprised by the cruelty of people, as well as their level of consumption.

Yes! There is a lot of romanticization, people think we spend the whole day on the beach and swim with dolphins or that everyone is like Greta Thunberg. I just wanted to have the same money as her. haha

But seriously, I understand that whaling is part of the culture of Nordic countries, even because of the conditions that these people live in the Arctic and so on.

But given the current conditions of the North Atlantic Sea. Nordic countries have to stop whaling and find other ways to develop their economy.

Übermensch
08-27-2020, 12:29 PM
Two exams to pass and Bachelor of Science :thumb001:.

Cool,is that similar to natural sciences?

Hawkguy
08-27-2020, 12:40 PM

In Brazil it is a mandatory subject in the field of Biology. And you can continue in the field doing a master's degree, PhD and so on.

But I think there are countries where you don't need to do biology before and you can go directly to specific courses like marine biology.

Übermensch
08-27-2020, 12:47 PM
In Brazil it is a mandatory subject in the field of Biology. And you can continue in the field doing a master's degree, PhD and so on.

But I think there are countries where you don't need to do biology before and you can go directly to specific courses like marine biology.

It's very similar to biology,but is slighty different because there are geology exams,for istance i did a geophysic exam.

Bosniensis
08-27-2020, 12:51 PM
6 year Term at TA Forums - Doctor of History and Genetics.

My favorite instructors: Bori, Laberia and Petros

Finnish Swede
08-27-2020, 12:55 PM

Here that is called like lower University degree. I could continue to Master of Science (using this degree as a base), but not gonna do that now.
Later? Who knows, but not just to get that title.

Studying biology? Not directly, but someway close.

PS: Now just one exam to go ....

amoora
08-27-2020, 01:13 PM
BS and MS

Hawkguy
08-27-2020, 01:20 PM
It's very similar to biology,but is slighty different because there are geology exams,for istance i did a geophysic exam.

Got it. I had some subjects involving geology too like Paleontology, Applied physics in Geology and the soil.

oh-nahhh
11-09-2020, 03:40 PM
I went to the School of Life.

Ülev
11-09-2020, 03:57 PM

still captain only

HulaguHan
11-09-2020, 03:58 PM
dropped out of high school

pulstar
11-09-2020, 04:00 PM
I went to the School of Life.

Master of Disaster

MsSPF
11-09-2020, 04:00 PM
Master Degree in International Business/Purchasing & Supply chain

calxpal
11-09-2020, 04:09 PM
None, unfortunately :(

oh-nahhh
11-09-2020, 04:35 PM

:violin:

pulstar
11-09-2020, 04:41 PM

Best not to look upon Europeans. Universities are basically free here (except in UK).

Harley
11-09-2020, 04:50 PM
a high school degree and some college where i took general courses. i even did some cna training for a semester for foundational learning when my mom required in-home care.

i’m not sure how a degree would have helped me because i’m a fast talker, so i’m really good at profiling and speaking to people with catered information. that’s how i ended up with most of my positions tbh.

ideally, i would have wanted to do something like interpreter work or professional blogger( i did this for a while). i think most of the work i want to do really just requires me to be flexible and prove i can do it, as opposed to just having degrees. i’m working on getting more information about accounting, so we’ll see how far i get.

oh-nahhh
11-11-2020, 09:07 AM
Master of DisasterAbsolutely

LinaReynold
02-25-2021, 07:37 PM
So far I have no degree, but this year I will become a Bachelor of Sociology. Now I am writing my thesis and I really do not have time until deadlines, it is good to have https://edubirdie.com/buy-term-paper as kind of safe place for other equally important subjects. I sometimes decide to buy term papers here to save time, I think every student will understand me hehe

RenaRyuguu
10-19-2021, 03:10 AM
Bachelor's degree is enough for me.

Asten
11-21-2021, 05:54 PM
Laboratory assistant in chemistry.

CordedWhelp
11-21-2021, 06:01 PM
Bachelors in History. Nothing impressive to anyone, heh..

Sagez
11-21-2021, 06:05 PM
Bacherlors and masters in agricultural engineering

Victor
06-23-2022, 06:31 AM
I gave up uni in the third year of five, as I didn't want to waste time, considering that I've always had a trader spirit, I think I shouldn't have joined the uni at all. I'm selling optical sights for guns, thermal imagers, night vision devices, bipods, mounts. Also, I buy, sell and resell all kinds of antiques for years. Your job has to feed you first of all, unlike useless diplomas.

renaissance12
06-23-2022, 08:48 AM
Degree in mathematics ( never taught math at school... my first job was in a elettronic company )